|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Richard get the word processor?
2. What do two of the soldiers in "The Mist" do at the beginning of the story?
3. What had Mark's son done when the attendants put the mask on him?
4. What serves as King's main character in his creative writing process?
5. What message does the Greek send to Mike?
Short Essay Questions
1. "The Reaper's Image" is perhaps one of the creepiest tales in "Skeleton Crew." What aspect of this story make it particularly appropriate for a King collection?
2. Hyperbole is a figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect; an extravagant statement. For example, "The sun was blindingly bright and hotter than ten thousand fires." Give an example of hyperbole from "The Wedding Gig" and give an explanation of why King uses it in this story.
3. Henry finally shares his story with a few close friends years later about Reg and the Fornits. Why do you think it took him so long to share this information?
4. What seems to be the factor linking Mrs. Todd and Homer?
5. Stephen King is apparently trying to make his reader think when reading "The Jaunt." Do you think King wrote this story with that challenge in mind, or do you think he wrote it for pure entertainment?
6. Compare/contrast the two rooms in the PAT. Why do you think they are so drastically different?
7. Stella uses the same excuse when anyone asks her why she never crossed to the mainland. She would say that she had everything she needed on Goat Island. What do you think Stella finally thought she needed on the mainland that she couldn't get on Goat Island that made her decide to cross The Reach?
8. What do you think Mike Scollay was implying when he told the coronet player that he was going to have to play loud?
9. Rocky seems to be a bit of an intimidator himself. Though it is long past closing time, he coerces his friend into giving his car an inspection sticker. What do you think this says about Rocky?
10. The milkman in King's short stories is certainly not your ordinary milkman. He spreads death rather than cheer with wholesome milk. What about Spike makes his methods that much more unusual?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet," Henry is troubled by his strange friendship with an author named Thorpe. Almost as a joke, Henry encouraged Thorpe's paranoia about Fornits, tiny elf-like creatures. How did Henry's encouragement of Thorpe's fantasy lead to that fantasy invading Henry's life as well?
Essay Topic 2
Charles seems to be a boy with a very active imagination. In "Here There Be Tygers," what appears to be the motivating factor for Charles's tiger lurking in the bathroom (or basement as he calls it)? Is it fear, revenge, motivation, or possibly something else that makes the tiger real for him?
Essay Topic 3
Character development can be difficult in a short story with less opportunity available for detail. What are some examples of well-developed characters within these stories? How does King manage to develop them so thoroughly? Do you think other characters in these stories were less developed? Do you think this detracts from the story?
This section contains 2,019 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)