|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Greek?
2. Curt has a poster of whom on his wall?
3. How does Hal's youngest son feel about his older brother's discovery?
4. In what year is "The Wedding Gig" set?
5. Who is Brent Norton?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Jaunt," Mark's family is destroyed by Mark's own deception. Given the reasons for his deception, do you think he was justified in his actions.
2. What seems to be the factor linking Mrs. Todd and Homer?
3. What do you think is the importance of Curt's tale of Cain and Abel?
4. What seems to be the catalyst for Curt's break in sanity?
5. Why do you think Charles calls the bathroom the basement in "Here There Be Tygers"?
6. What is the basic conflict expressed in "The Monkey"? Is there an implied winner? If so, whom or what?
7. Why do you think King bases his entire introduction on a seemingly mundane conversation with a friend?
8. What significance does the word processor hold for Richard after Jon's death?
9. In "Here There Be Tygers", Charles returns to his classroom casually after the deaths of his teacher and classmate. What do you think this implies about what Charles has just experienced?
10. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Nona" is a story about a man who seems to be under the influence of an odd woman named Nona. Under her influence, he commits murder like he's been doing it all of his life. At the end of the story, Nona turns into a rat and the narrator leaves a suicide note. What do you think King's plot is in this story? Following the winding, sometimes foggy, storyline is at times difficult. What do you think the point of the story is, and what is the point of the narrator's suicide?
Essay Topic 2
The plot is the arrangement of ideas and incidents that make up a story. The plot is important. Choose two stories from "Skeleton Crew," identify the plot, and outline the methods King uses to develop that plot.
Essay Topic 3
Personification is the use of human characteristics to describe animals, things, or ideas. King uses this in several of his stories. What are some examples and how do they fall under the heading of "personification"? How does personification add to a story?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)