|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the inventor's splinter displayed?
2. What does Brent Norton and his group deny?
3. Where is "The Wedding Gig" set?
4. When Hal was a child, what happened to his friends during the time he was in possession of the item his son found in the attic?
5. Who is Richard Hagstrom in "Word Processor of the Gods"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Charles calls the bathroom the basement in "Here There Be Tygers"?
2. Why do you think King bases his entire introduction on a seemingly mundane conversation with a friend?
3. Hyperbole is a figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect; an extravagant statement. For example, "The sun was blindingly bright and hotter than ten thousand fires." Give an example of hyperbole from "The Wedding Gig" and give an explanation of why King uses it in this story.
4. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
5. What do you think Mike Scollay was implying when he told the coronet player that he was going to have to play loud?
6. In "The Monkey," what does the stuffed creature represent to Hal? What fears does it reawaken within him?
7. What is the implied source of the infestation in "The Mist"? How does he make this implication? What do you think King is trying to say with this implication?
8. What significance does the word processor hold for Richard after Jon's death?
9. In "The Raft," Deke twice stops Randy from attempting to save Rachel. Was this the right thing to do, given the circumstances?
10. The creator of the teleportation device used in the jaunt first experimented with mice. What is the significance of the first trip taken by the mice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict in any story or novel is developed by interaction between protagonist and antagonist. Choose any one of the stories in "Skeleton Crew" and identify the protagonist and antagonist in the story and the conflict that develops between them. What does this add to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The general atmosphere created in a story is often referred to as "tone." Identify the tone of the following short stories and describe how it adds or detracts from the story itself:
1. "The Mist"
2. "The Reaper's Image"
3. "For Owen"
4. Either of the "Milkman" stories
5. "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is the use of an object, character, figure, place, or color to represent an abstract idea or concept. Stephen King uses symbolism quite readily in his writing. Give three examples of symbolism in "Skeleton Crew" and describe how the use of those symbols makes the story more interesting.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)