|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Mist," what precipitates the thick fog?
2. In what year is "The Wedding Gig" set?
3. Who is Maureen?
4. What is "the jaunt"?
5. What does the narrator of "Paranoid: A Chant" do to avoid cameras?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be the catalyst for Curt's break in sanity?
2. Why do you think King bases his entire introduction on a seemingly mundane conversation with a friend?
3. "The Wedding Gig" is rife with metaphors, figures of speech in which an implied comparison is made between two unlike things that actually have something in common. For example, "Love is a rose" is a metaphor. Identify a metaphor from "The Wedding Gig" and identify the two things being compared.
4. What do you think Mike Scollay was implying when he told the coronet player that he was going to have to play loud?
5. In "The Raft," Deke twice stops Randy from attempting to save Rachel. Was this the right thing to do, given the circumstances?
6. What is the purpose of King's use of a "Wouldn't it be funny if . . . ?" beginning to his short stories? What do you think this method adds to or detracts from his stories?
7. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
8. The narrator seems to follow a theme throughout the story. What is the main theme the narrator displays?
9. In "The Monkey," what does the stuffed creature represent to Hal? What fears does it reawaken within him?
10. In "The Mist," what do you think is the underlying message the story conveys to the reader? Cite examples from the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is the use of an object, character, figure, place, or color to represent an abstract idea or concept. Stephen King uses symbolism quite readily in his writing. Give three examples of symbolism in "Skeleton Crew" and describe how the use of those symbols makes the story more interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the discrepancy between expectation and reality. Outline how the events that take place in "The Jaunt" are an example of irony.
Essay Topic 3
"Nona" is a story about a man who seems to be under the influence of an odd woman named Nona. Under her influence, he commits murder like he's been doing it all of his life. At the end of the story, Nona turns into a rat and the narrator leaves a suicide note. What do you think King's plot is in this story? Following the winding, sometimes foggy, storyline is at times difficult. What do you think the point of the story is, and what is the point of the narrator's suicide?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)