|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Maureen?
2. To what location do David, Billy, and the neighbor travel after the fog rolls in?
3. What ultimately happens to Charles's teacher?
4. What is "the jaunt"?
5. How is the relationship between Seth and Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be the catalyst for Curt's break in sanity?
2. What is the implied source of the infestation in "The Mist"? How does he make this implication? What do you think King is trying to say with this implication?
3. What seems to be the factor linking Mrs. Todd and Homer?
4. In "Paranoid: A Chant," there are several instances in which the narrator is showing how obviously disturbed he is. Give one such example and tell why you think that example fits.
5. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
6. In what format is "Paranoid: A Chant" written, and what significance does it lend to the story?
7. The creator of the teleportation device used in the jaunt first experimented with mice. What is the significance of the first trip taken by the mice?
8. Hyperbole is a figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect; an extravagant statement. For example, "The sun was blindingly bright and hotter than ten thousand fires." Give an example of hyperbole from "The Wedding Gig" and give an explanation of why King uses it in this story.
9. What do you think Mike Scollay was implying when he told the coronet player that he was going to have to play loud?
10. Why do you think Charles calls the bathroom the basement in "Here There Be Tygers"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is the use of an object, character, figure, place, or color to represent an abstract idea or concept. Stephen King uses symbolism quite readily in his writing. Give three examples of symbolism in "Skeleton Crew" and describe how the use of those symbols makes the story more interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Conflict in any story or novel is developed by interaction between protagonist and antagonist. Choose any one of the stories in "Skeleton Crew" and identify the protagonist and antagonist in the story and the conflict that develops between them. What does this add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Character development can be difficult in a short story with less opportunity available for detail. What are some examples of well-developed characters within these stories? How does King manage to develop them so thoroughly? Do you think other characters in these stories were less developed? Do you think this detracts from the story?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)