|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Curt begin to focus upon when he enters his room?
2. What is Mrs. Carmody rumored to be?
3. Who is the inventor of the jaunt?
4. Who is Lina to Richard Hagstrom?
5. What does Deke spot on the surface of the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Monkey," what does the stuffed creature represent to Hal? What fears does it reawaken within him?
2. Why do you think Charles calls the bathroom the basement in "Here There Be Tygers"?
3. What seems to be the catalyst for Curt's break in sanity?
4. The creator of the teleportation device used in the jaunt first experimented with mice. What is the significance of the first trip taken by the mice?
5. What do you think is the importance of Curt's tale of Cain and Abel?
6. In "Word Processor of the Gods," what do you think about Richard's choice of his brother's family over his own? Is a choice made of faithfulness or greed?
7. What seems to be the factor linking Mrs. Todd and Homer?
8. What is the basic conflict expressed in "The Monkey"? Is there an implied winner? If so, whom or what?
9. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
10. What significance does the word processor hold for Richard after Jon's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is the use of an object, character, figure, place, or color to represent an abstract idea or concept. Stephen King uses symbolism quite readily in his writing. Give three examples of symbolism in "Skeleton Crew" and describe how the use of those symbols makes the story more interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Personification is the use of human characteristics to describe animals, things, or ideas. King uses this in several of his stories. What are some examples and how do they fall under the heading of "personification"? How does personification add to a story?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet," Henry is troubled by his strange friendship with an author named Thorpe. Almost as a joke, Henry encouraged Thorpe's paranoia about Fornits, tiny elf-like creatures. How did Henry's encouragement of Thorpe's fantasy lead to that fantasy invading Henry's life as well?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)