Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mike originally find the narrator?
2. What does the narrator of "Paranoid: A Chant" do to avoid cameras?
3. What message does the Greek send to Mike?
4. How does Hal's youngest son feel about his older brother's discovery?
5. Curt has a poster of whom on his wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rumor had it that Gramma was a witch and apparently became one because she could not carry a baby to term. Do you think Gramma was justified to dabble in witchcraft to attain her dream?
2. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
3. In "Notes," the epilogue to "Skeleton Crew," Stephen King explains the origins of some of his stories and how long some of them took to get published. Why do you think King chose to publish these works in a book of short stories?
4. What do you think would be the worst part of being afflicted as Brower is in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands"? Use examples from the text to support your theory.
5. Why do you think Charles calls the bathroom the basement in "Here There Be Tygers"?
6. What type of irony can be found within "Survivor Type"? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your theory.
7. In "The Jaunt," Mark's family is destroyed by Mark's own deception. Given the reasons for his deception, do you think he was justified in his actions.
8. Compare/contrast the two rooms in the PAT. Why do you think they are so drastically different?
9. "The Reaper's Image" is perhaps one of the creepiest tales in "Skeleton Crew." What aspect of this story make it particularly appropriate for a King collection?
10. Stella uses the same excuse when anyone asks her why she never crossed to the mainland. She would say that she had everything she needed on Goat Island. What do you think Stella finally thought she needed on the mainland that she couldn't get on Goat Island that made her decide to cross The Reach?
Essay Topic 1
"Nona" is a story about a man who seems to be under the influence of an odd woman named Nona. Under her influence, he commits murder like he's been doing it all of his life. At the end of the story, Nona turns into a rat and the narrator leaves a suicide note. What do you think King's plot is in this story? Following the winding, sometimes foggy, storyline is at times difficult. What do you think the point of the story is, and what is the point of the narrator's suicide?
Essay Topic 2
The plot is the arrangement of ideas and incidents that make up a story. The plot is important. Choose two stories from "Skeleton Crew," identify the plot, and outline the methods King uses to develop that plot.
Essay Topic 3
Using "Skeleton Crew" as your example, describe how Stephen King's writing style brought new fans to the horror genre. What does he use that most other horror writers don't? How does his incorporation of humor add to his stories? What do you think he does differently than other writers? What seems to be "textbook" about his approach to writing?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)