|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Mist," what precipitates the thick fog?
2. What happens when Mike runs out to confront the Greek?
3. What happens when Richard hits the "delete" key?
4. What does Mrs. Carmody suggest to rectify the situation with the fog?
5. What do two of the soldiers in "The Mist" do at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare/contrast the two rooms in the PAT. Why do you think they are so drastically different?
2. In "The Raft," Deke twice stops Randy from attempting to save Rachel. Was this the right thing to do, given the circumstances?
3. In "Word Processor of the Gods," what do you think about Richard's choice of his brother's family over his own? Is a choice made of faithfulness or greed?
4. Hyperbole is a figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect; an extravagant statement. For example, "The sun was blindingly bright and hotter than ten thousand fires." Give an example of hyperbole from "The Wedding Gig" and give an explanation of why King uses it in this story.
5. What is the significance of the "Execute" button on the word processor, and how does Richard feel when looking at that button for the first time?
6. What is the basic conflict expressed in "The Monkey"? Is there an implied winner? If so, whom or what?
7. In what format is "Paranoid: A Chant" written, and what significance does it lend to the story?
8. What do you think Mike Scollay was implying when he told the coronet player that he was going to have to play loud?
9. In "The Mist," what do you think is the underlying message the story conveys to the reader? Cite examples from the story.
10. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Taking into consideration the volume of work involved in this book, how do you analyze the format of "Notes." Is this really the ending you expect from Stephen King? Do you think King's unpredictability is part of his charm?
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the discrepancy between expectation and reality. Outline how the events that take place in "The Jaunt" are an example of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Personification is the use of human characteristics to describe animals, things, or ideas. King uses this in several of his stories. What are some examples and how do they fall under the heading of "personification"? How does personification add to a story?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)