|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mike originally find the narrator?
2. What does the narrator of "Paranoid: A Chant" do to avoid cameras?
3. What message does the Greek send to Mike?
4. How does Hal's youngest son feel about his older brother's discovery?
5. Curt has a poster of whom on his wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rumor had it that Gramma was a witch and apparently became one because she could not carry a baby to term. Do you think Gramma was justified to dabble in witchcraft to attain her dream?
2. "Word Processor of the Gods" could fit into several different genres. Which genre do you think it fits into best and why?
3. In "Notes," the epilogue to "Skeleton Crew," Stephen King explains the origins of some of his stories and how long some of them took to get published. Why do you think King chose to publish these works in a book of short stories?
4. What do you think would be the worst part of being afflicted as Brower is in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands"? Use examples from the text to support your theory.
5. Why do you think Charles calls the bathroom the basement in "Here There Be Tygers"?
6. What type of irony can be found within "Survivor Type"? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your theory.
7. In "The Jaunt," Mark's family is destroyed by Mark's own deception. Given the reasons for his deception, do you think he was justified in his actions.
8. Compare/contrast the two rooms in the PAT. Why do you think they are so drastically different?
9. "The Reaper's Image" is perhaps one of the creepiest tales in "Skeleton Crew." What aspect of this story make it particularly appropriate for a King collection?
10. Stella uses the same excuse when anyone asks her why she never crossed to the mainland. She would say that she had everything she needed on Goat Island. What do you think Stella finally thought she needed on the mainland that she couldn't get on Goat Island that made her decide to cross The Reach?
Essay Topic 1
Setting is often a major contributing factor to the mood of a story or novel. However, many of King's stories in this book do not stress setting as much as character. Are there any stories in which the setting is an important factor to the mood? If so, which ones and why? How does King use his characters rather than the setting to set the mood in his stories?
Essay Topic 2
Irony is the discrepancy between expectation and reality. Outline how the events that take place in "The Jaunt" are an example of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The general atmosphere created in a story is often referred to as "tone." Identify the tone of the following short stories and describe how it adds or detracts from the story itself:
1. "The Mist"
2. "The Reaper's Image"
3. "For Owen"
4. Either of the "Milkman" stories
5. "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"
This section contains 2,067 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)