|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator think happened when he met Nona?
(a) He was attracted to her as a mother figure.
(b) His life spun out of control.
(c) It was love at first sight.
(d) She manipulated him.
2. In "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet," what does the party group begin to discuss?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Successful writers who have gone mad or committed suicide.
(c) One hit wonders.
(d) Publications deserving awards.
3. Whom does the narrator kill while with Nona?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) The driver who picked them up.
(c) A cop.
(d) A good Samaritan.
4. What does Shapiro begin to think the sands can do?
(a) Swallow him alive.
(b) Devour him.
(c) Drag him down into insanity.
(d) Hear what he is thinking.
5. Who is Henry Brower?
(a) A stranger who knocked on the door asking for help.
(b) George's cousin.
(c) A man who replaced one of George's friends in a poker game.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Henry tell Thorpe?
2. How many people are celebrating in "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet"?
3. To what does the child in "For Owen" compare the fat children?
4. What does Henry do when Davidson shakes his hand?
5. What is the reason for the party in "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rumor had it that Gramma was a witch and apparently became one because she could not carry a baby to term. Do you think Gramma was justified to dabble in witchcraft to attain her dream?
2. Rocky seems to be a bit of an intimidator himself. Though it is long past closing time, he coerces his friend into giving his car an inspection sticker. What do you think this says about Rocky?
3. What do you think the story "For Owen" is about?
4. Reg likely suffers from a serious mental illness, yet Henry continues to encourage Reg's fantasies. What do you think was Henry's motivating factor?
5. What is an example of personification in the story "Beachworld"? How does it affect the story? Explain why you chose this example.
6. Rocky is dismayed and angered that the milkman, Spike, impregnated his wife. Spike seems not the least bit intimidated, possibly even enjoying Rocky's discomfort. Do you think Spike did what he did in order to specifically anger Rocky, or do you think Spike doesn't care what anyone thinks?
7. What is an example of a metaphor used in "Beachworld" and what comparison is it trying to convey?
8. Henry encourages a writer who apparently believes in the whimsical creatures about which he writes. Henry begins the encouragement out of amusement and boredom. Do you think the resulting actions leading to the writer's death were what Henry expected to happen?
9. Foreshadowing is when an event early in the story hints at an event to take place later in the story. Find an example of foreshadowing in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands." Cite the foreshadowing event and the event it foreshadows.
10. What do you think would be the worst part of being afflicted as Brower is in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands"? Use examples from the text to support your theory.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)