|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the bottle of orange juice located in "Morning Deliveries"?
(a) On the front stoop.
(b) Behind the deadly nightshade.
(c) In the spider infested basement.
(d) In the refrigerator.
2. Richard Pine's story details the accounts of whom?
(a) A common handyman.
(b) A disgraced surgeon.
(c) A survivor of WWII.
(d) An embezzling real estate manager.
3. What is the reasoning behind Rocky's inebriation?
(a) He spent time in jail for carrying a concealed weapon.
(b) He spent time in jail for reckless endangerment.
(c) He spent time in jail for embezzlement.
(d) He spent time in jail for involuntary manslaughter.
4. Where did Richard Pine grow up?
(a) In the projects.
(b) In an orphanage.
(c) With his grandmother.
(d) On a farm.
5. Where does Nona take the narrator?
(a) To Eastport.
(b) To a cemetery.
(c) To the next truck stop.
(d) To her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George Gregson doing in the parlor with his friends in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands"?
2. Why can't George call for help for Gramma?
3. What does the narrator think happened when he met Nona?
4. What happens to McCutchson?
5. Whom does the narrator kill while with Nona?
Short Essay Questions
1. Henry encourages a writer who apparently believes in the whimsical creatures about which he writes. Henry begins the encouragement out of amusement and boredom. Do you think the resulting actions leading to the writer's death were what Henry expected to happen?
2. Rocky is dismayed and angered that the milkman, Spike, impregnated his wife. Spike seems not the least bit intimidated, possibly even enjoying Rocky's discomfort. Do you think Spike did what he did in order to specifically anger Rocky, or do you think Spike doesn't care what anyone thinks?
3. "For Owen" seems oddly placed in this collection of stories. Why might King have placed a story about his young son in the midst of more savage and frightening ones?
4. Uncle Otto's business partner, George, was killed in an accident involving Otto's truck. Most people believe that Otto killed George over a business disagreement. Given the circumstances of the ending, do you think it was Uncle Otto or Uncle Otto's truck that killed George and why?
5. Children are often frightened by elderly relatives. Everything about them seems foreign and frightening. Do you think George's fear of Gramma was instinctual or merely the usual fear a child has of older people?
6. What type of irony can be found within "Survivor Type"? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your theory.
7. What is an example of personification in the story "Beachworld"? How does it affect the story? Explain why you chose this example.
8. Identify a simile from "The Reaper's Image" and explain how the simile adds to the description.
9. There is a rumor in the family that Gramma did something to Franklin to make him die. Do you think the family is just overreacting to their guilt and loss by blaming it on Gramma?
10. "The Reaper's Image" is perhaps one of the creepiest tales in "Skeleton Crew." What aspect of this story make it particularly appropriate for a King collection?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)