|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator think happened when he met Nona?
(a) It was love at first sight.
(b) She manipulated him.
(c) He was attracted to her as a mother figure.
(d) His life spun out of control.
2. What does Uncle Otto do to finance the purchase of the land?
(a) Sells his home.
(b) Sells his truck.
(c) Robs a bank.
(d) Sells all of his stocks and bonds.
3. Why is George summoned from his meeting with Greer?
(a) Davidson has died.
(b) Another poker game is beginning.
(c) Henry is waiting at his house.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
4. What happens to the dog that gave Henry his paw to shake?
(a) It dies.
(b) It goes mad.
(c) It is taken away by the dog catcher.
(d) It becomes Henry's pet.
5. What does Richard Pine do after he breaks his ankle?
(a) Uses heroin and becomes addicted.
(b) Amputates everything below his groin and eats it.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Amputates his foot and eats it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the milkman discover at the house with the cancellation note?
2. Why does Greer feel that Henry is headed for a breakdown?
3. Where did Richard Pine grow up?
4. How does Davidson feel about the way Henry left?
5. Whose name does Aunt Flo tell George to invoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Henry and Reg and how their relationship affected them both.
2. In "Nona," an innocent and once-upstanding man falls prey to the wiles of a sadistic, evil woman. Giving in to his "darker" side, he performs obscene, despicable acts at the whim of Nona. What do you think King is trying to say with this short story?
3. Think about the setting of "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands." How does the setting of this story add to its scary feeling?
4. Henry encourages a writer who apparently believes in the whimsical creatures about which he writes. Henry begins the encouragement out of amusement and boredom. Do you think the resulting actions leading to the writer's death were what Henry expected to happen?
5. Rumor had it that Gramma was a witch and apparently became one because she could not carry a baby to term. Do you think Gramma was justified to dabble in witchcraft to attain her dream?
6. There is a rumor in the family that Gramma did something to Franklin to make him die. Do you think the family is just overreacting to their guilt and loss by blaming it on Gramma?
7. What is an example of a metaphor used in "Beachworld" and what comparison is it trying to convey?
8. Rocky is dismayed and angered that the milkman, Spike, impregnated his wife. Spike seems not the least bit intimidated, possibly even enjoying Rocky's discomfort. Do you think Spike did what he did in order to specifically anger Rocky, or do you think Spike doesn't care what anyone thinks?
9. Henry finally shares his story with a few close friends years later about Reg and the Fornits. Why do you think it took him so long to share this information?
10. "The Reaper's Image" is perhaps one of the creepiest tales in "Skeleton Crew." What aspect of this story make it particularly appropriate for a King collection?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)