|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of problem did Henry admit he had that contributed to his scheme against Thorpe?
(c) Writer's block.
2. Where is Richard Pine when he writes in his diary?
(a) In jail.
(b) Stranded on a small island.
(c) In a concentration camp.
(d) In a well.
3. What happens to the dog that gave Henry his paw to shake?
(a) It dies.
(b) It goes mad.
(c) It is taken away by the dog catcher.
(d) It becomes Henry's pet.
4. What does Shapiro begin to think the sands can do?
(a) Swallow him alive.
(b) Devour him.
(c) Hear what he is thinking.
(d) Drag him down into insanity.
5. Who is said to be a part of the legend associated with the looking glass?
(a) A Pennsylvania rug merchant.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) The Bates boy.
(d) The English Duchess.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are celebrating in "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet"?
2. What is Henry's original feeling toward Thorpe's Fornits story?
3. Who follows Rocky and Leo as they leave the garage?
4. Who are Rand and Shapiro in "Beachworld"?
5. Who is Spike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Think about the setting of "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands." How does the setting of this story add to its scary feeling?
2. What type of irony can be found within "Survivor Type"? Be sure to use examples from the text to support your theory.
3. What do you think would be the worst part of being afflicted as Brower is in "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands"? Use examples from the text to support your theory.
4. Identify a simile from "The Reaper's Image" and explain how the simile adds to the description.
5. Often, a killer's choice of weapon will say a lot about that person. What do you think Spike's method of operation and choice of weapon say about him?
6. Quentin seems terrified of Uncle Otto's truck himself, especially after seeing first hand what happened to Uncle Otto. What does Quentin fear the most?
7. Rocky is dismayed and angered that the milkman, Spike, impregnated his wife. Spike seems not the least bit intimidated, possibly even enjoying Rocky's discomfort. Do you think Spike did what he did in order to specifically anger Rocky, or do you think Spike doesn't care what anyone thinks?
8. Reg likely suffers from a serious mental illness, yet Henry continues to encourage Reg's fantasies. What do you think was Henry's motivating factor?
9. Children are often frightened by elderly relatives. Everything about them seems foreign and frightening. Do you think George's fear of Gramma was instinctual or merely the usual fear a child has of older people?
10. There is a rumor in the family that Gramma did something to Franklin to make him die. Do you think the family is just overreacting to their guilt and loss by blaming it on Gramma?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)