|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the significance of the dead man's name suggest?
2. According to Buntu, what would make him dig his own grave?
3. Why in Part 4, does Buntu try to get Sizwe to leave the street outside the bar quickly?
4. When Sizwe finally hands his passbook to Buntu, what does he say at that moment?
5. What does Buntu proceed to to after explaining about the dead man's book to Sizwe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the playwright reveal information about the central character of Sizwe Banzi, and how does this draw the audience into his story?
Essay Topic 2
The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how foreshadowing is used in the play, making particular reference to either:
A) Styles' monologue in Part 1.
B) Buntu's actions in Parts 4 and 5.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)