|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After explaining to Siswe his thoughts on death, what happens to Buntu's mood?
2. What happens to Sizwe when he tries to get home from the bar with Buntu?
3. When Buntu sees the address of the dead man, what does he do?
4. What happened to Jacob the other day, according to Buntu in Part 3?
5. What is the reason that Sizwe gives Buntu for not wanting to die yet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the framing device of the letter to Noweto a foundation for the rest of the action, a means to getting out information that cannot easily be staged, or both? Explain your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Buntu and Sizwe Banzi have highly contrasting beliefs about themselves, their place in society as black men and the options available to them. Explore the ways the author uses this contrast as a root for dramatic conflict in the play.
Essay Topic 3
The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)