|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buntu say to Sizwe in regards to seeing Sizwe's information in Part 3?
2. What was the second suggestion offered to Buntu regarding the discovery in the alleyway?
3. How does Buntu answer to Sizwe's angry question regarding the dead man?
4. At the end of Part 4, what does Buntu collect after Sizwe drunkenly stumbles off?
5. What does Buntu say he has discovered in the alleyway outside of the bar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buntu and Sizwe Banzi have highly contrasting beliefs about themselves, their place in society as black men and the options available to them. Explore the ways the author uses this contrast as a root for dramatic conflict in the play.
Essay Topic 2
How, in Part 1 of the play, does the playwright use metaphor to show the living situation of black workers in Apartheid-era South Africa? Make reference to the stories of a) Styles' job at the Ford plant and Henry Ford Jr's visit, and b) The 'Doom' insect spray and the cat.
Essay Topic 3
Given the desperation of the situation in which blacks found themselves in Apartheid-era South Africa, is it honorable or dishonorable for Sizwe to claim the identity of a dead man? Explain your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)