|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sizwe first tell Buntu at the beginning of Part 3?
2. At what affair did the preacher speak, according to Buntu?
3. When Buntu finally fetches the book, what does he first tell Sizwe?
4. What was the second suggestion offered to Buntu regarding the discovery in the alleyway?
5. What was Buntu's suggestion about what he had found in the alleyway?
Essay Topic 1
Comment upon the notion that Styles' statement that 'we own nothing but ourselves' could be construed as being ignorant, coming as it does from a successful black businessman in South Africa.
Essay Topic 2
In the final moments of the play, Styles tells Sizwe to smile. Explain how this instruction from one character to another functions as a summary of the play's themes of hope, struggle, and change.
Essay Topic 3
Buntu and Sizwe Banzi have highly contrasting beliefs about themselves, their place in society as black men and the options available to them. Explore the ways the author uses this contrast as a root for dramatic conflict in the play.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)