|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might Buntu's story about Jacob be meant to offer Sizwe?
2. What did Buntu say the preacher compare death to in his speech?
3. After Sizwe says he doesn't want to die, how does this effect Buntu?
4. According to the preacher, at death, the soul gets to go...?
5. How does Buntu answer to Sizwe's angry question regarding the dead man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how pride is central to the play, paying particular attention to the relationship between Buntu and Sizwe Banzi.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 1, Styles speaks about a 'strong room of dreams'. Discuss what is meant by this with particular regard to either:
A) Styles' realization of his own personal dreams and goals in having his own photography studio, and what the studio represents for the future of his black customers.
B) The playwright's take on the theater in which the play is being performed, as the lines were to be spoken by a black actor on stage in Apartheid-era South Africa.
Essay Topic 3
The central question of the play asks what defines identity: one's name or one's actions. Explore whether the play offers an answer to this question, or whether it remains ambiguous.
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)