|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part 4, what does Buntu collect after Sizwe drunkenly stumbles off?
2. What might Buntu's story about Jacob be meant to offer Sizwe?
3. What was the first suggestion by Sizwe to Buntu regarding his discovery in the alleyway?
4. In Part 4, how does Sizwe begin telling the audience about going to a bar with Buntu?
5. What does SIzwe drunkenly wish to Buntu when Buntu decides to leave the dead man's body behind? .
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At two moments in the play, in Part 3 and Part 5, Buntu abruptly changes from a positive mindset to a negative one. What do these moments say about him, and what is the playwright trying to say about the attitude of South African blacks through this facet of Buntu's character?
Essay Topic 2
The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
In the final moments of the play, Styles tells Sizwe to smile. Explain how this instruction from one character to another functions as a summary of the play's themes of hope, struggle, and change.
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)