|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After explaining to Siswe his thoughts on death, what happens to Buntu's mood?
2. What might Buntu's story about Jacob be meant to offer Sizwe?
3. At the end of Part 3, what does Buntu offer Sizwe to do?
4. When Buntu sees the address of the dead man, what does he do?
5. What was Buntu's suggestion about what he had found in the alleyway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the final moments of the play, Styles tells Sizwe to smile. Explain how this instruction from one character to another functions as a summary of the play's themes of hope, struggle, and change.
Essay Topic 2
The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Comment upon the notion that Styles' statement that 'we own nothing but ourselves' could be construed as being ignorant, coming as it does from a successful black businessman in South Africa.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)