|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Buntu say was a good man but who faced nothing but trouble?
2. What kind of trouble did Buntu also run in to although he was born in the area?
3. What does Buntu suggest Sizwe do for work back in his home country?
4. What happens to Sizwe when he tries to get home from the bar with Buntu?
5. What does Sizwe want to do with what he has discovered in the alleyway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the playwright reveal information about the central character of Sizwe Banzi, and how does this draw the audience into his story?
Essay Topic 2
What narrative devices does the playwright use to paint a vivid picture of frustration and persecution in the black community under Apartheid?
Essay Topic 3
Buntu and Sizwe Banzi have highly contrasting beliefs about themselves, their place in society as black men and the options available to them. Explore the ways the author uses this contrast as a root for dramatic conflict in the play.
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)