Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sizwe first tell Buntu at the beginning of Part 3?
2. At what affair did the preacher speak, according to Buntu?
3. When Buntu finally fetches the book, what does he first tell Sizwe?
4. What was the second suggestion offered to Buntu regarding the discovery in the alleyway?
5. What was Buntu's suggestion about what he had found in the alleyway?
Essay Topic 1
Buntu and Sizwe Banzi have highly contrasting beliefs about themselves, their place in society as black men and the options available to them. Explore the ways the author uses this contrast as a root for dramatic conflict in the play.
Essay Topic 2
In the final moments of the play, Styles tells Sizwe to smile. Explain how this instruction from one character to another functions as a summary of the play's themes of hope, struggle, and change.
Essay Topic 3
At two moments in the play, in Part 3 and Part 5, Buntu abruptly changes from a positive mindset to a negative one. What do these moments say about him, and what is the playwright trying to say about the attitude of South African blacks through this facet of Buntu's character?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)