|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What system of segregation exists during the time of this play?
2. What is the reason that Sizwe gives Buntu for not wanting to die yet?
3. What kind of trouble did Buntu also run in to although he was born in the area?
4. What might Buntu's story about Jacob be meant to offer Sizwe?
5. What is Sizwe's first question to Buntu?
Essay Topic 1
At two moments in the play, in Part 3 and Part 5, Buntu abruptly changes from a positive mindset to a negative one. What do these moments say about him, and what is the playwright trying to say about the attitude of South African blacks through this facet of Buntu's character?
Essay Topic 2
It is ironic that the only place where Sizwe feels dignified and respected is at a bar - a place of drinking, vices, and escape from reality? Do you agree with this statement? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways the playwright uses unseen characters such as Sizwe's wife, Noweto, and Zola to suggest aspects of the main characters' lives outside of the action on stage. In your answer, take note of the fact that there are no white characters mentioned in the play, only the general authority they hold over blacks in South Africa.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)