|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does SIzwe drunkenly wish to Buntu when Buntu decides to leave the dead man's body behind? .
2. What is a common theme between what Styles went through to get his shop and what Sizwe would have to go through to get a new passbook?
3. What happened to Jacob the other day, according to Buntu in Part 3?
4. At the end of Part 4, what does Buntu collect after Sizwe drunkenly stumbles off?
5. According to Buntu, what would make him dig his own grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the final moments of the play, Styles tells Sizwe to smile. Explain how this instruction from one character to another functions as a summary of the play's themes of hope, struggle, and change.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of being 'alive' versus being 'dead' or a 'ghost' as represented in the play.
Essay Topic 3
It is ironic that the only place where Sizwe feels dignified and respected is at a bar - a place of drinking, vices, and escape from reality? Do you agree with this statement? Discuss.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)