|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sizwe begin to tear off his clothes at the ending of Part 4?
2. After introducing himself, what does Sizwe tell everyone he meets in Part 4 to do?
3. At the end of Part 4, what does Buntu collect after Sizwe drunkenly stumbles off?
4. After explaining to Siswe his thoughts on death, what happens to Buntu's mood?
5. What kind of trouble did Buntu also run in to although he was born in the area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
At two moments in the play, in Part 3 and Part 5, Buntu abruptly changes from a positive mindset to a negative one. What do these moments say about him, and what is the playwright trying to say about the attitude of South African blacks through this facet of Buntu's character?
Essay Topic 3
How, in Part 1 of the play, does the playwright use metaphor to show the living situation of black workers in Apartheid-era South Africa? Make reference to the stories of a) Styles' job at the Ford plant and Henry Ford Jr's visit, and b) The 'Doom' insect spray and the cat.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)