|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sizwe say the raid took place?
2. What might Buntu's story about Jacob be meant to offer Sizwe?
3. Why does Sizwe begin to tear off his clothes at the ending of Part 4?
4. What kind of trouble did Buntu also run in to although he was born in the area?
5. When Buntu sees the address of the dead man, what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how pride is central to the play, paying particular attention to the relationship between Buntu and Sizwe Banzi.
Essay Topic 2
At two moments in the play, in Part 3 and Part 5, Buntu abruptly changes from a positive mindset to a negative one. What do these moments say about him, and what is the playwright trying to say about the attitude of South African blacks through this facet of Buntu's character?
Essay Topic 3
Is the framing device of the letter to Noweto a foundation for the rest of the action, a means to getting out information that cannot easily be staged, or both? Explain your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)