|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Buntu, what would make him dig his own grave?
2. When Buntu sees the address of the dead man, what does he do?
3. After seeing Sizwe's information, what does Buntu realize?
4. What does SIzwe drunkenly wish to Buntu when Buntu decides to leave the dead man's body behind? .
5. What does Buntu tell Sizwe to do instead of continuing to live in the country they are in illegally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the playwright reveal information about the central character of Sizwe Banzi, and how does this draw the audience into his story?
Essay Topic 2
At two moments in the play, in Part 3 and Part 5, Buntu abruptly changes from a positive mindset to a negative one. What do these moments say about him, and what is the playwright trying to say about the attitude of South African blacks through this facet of Buntu's character?
Essay Topic 3
The central question of the play asks what defines identity: one's name or one's actions. Explore whether the play offers an answer to this question, or whether it remains ambiguous.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)