|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of trouble did Buntu also run in to although he was born in the area?
2. What is a common theme between what Styles went through to get his shop and what Sizwe would have to go through to get a new passbook?
3. When Buntu comes out of the bar to join Sizwe in Part 4, what does he suggest?
4. After explaining to Siswe his thoughts on death, what happens to Buntu's mood?
5. When does Buntu say is the only time a soul can be completely free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How, in Part 1 of the play, does the playwright use metaphor to show the living situation of black workers in Apartheid-era South Africa? Make reference to the stories of a) Styles' job at the Ford plant and Henry Ford Jr's visit, and b) The 'Doom' insect spray and the cat.
Essay Topic 2
The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
How does the playwright reveal information about the central character of Sizwe Banzi, and how does this draw the audience into his story?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)