|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sizwe want to do with what he has discovered in the alleyway?
2. What does Sizwe first tell Buntu at the beginning of Part 3?
3. According to Buntu, what would make him dig his own grave?
4. What might Buntu's story about Jacob be meant to offer Sizwe?
5. What does Buntu suggest Sizwe do for work back in his home country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment upon the notion that Styles' statement that 'we own nothing but ourselves' could be construed as being ignorant, coming as it does from a successful black businessman in South Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Given the desperation of the situation in which blacks found themselves in Apartheid-era South Africa, is it honorable or dishonorable for Sizwe to claim the identity of a dead man? Explain your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 1, Styles speaks about a 'strong room of dreams'. Discuss what is meant by this with particular regard to either:
A) Styles' realization of his own personal dreams and goals in having his own photography studio, and what the studio represents for the future of his black customers.
B) The playwright's take on the theater in which the play is being performed, as the lines were to be spoken by a black actor on stage in Apartheid-era South Africa.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)