|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of trouble did Buntu also run in to although he was born in the area?
2. After Sizwe says he doesn't want to die, how does this effect Buntu?
3. What is Sizwe's angry question to Buntu when Buntu decides to leave the dead man alone?
4. What did Buntu say the preacher compare death to in his speech?
5. Who starts leading the way to go home when Sizwe and Buntu leave the bar on their first night out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Buntu and Sizwe Banzi have highly contrasting beliefs about themselves, their place in society as black men and the options available to them. Explore the ways the author uses this contrast as a root for dramatic conflict in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree that Sizwe loses his innocence over the course of the play? Discuss with reference to what kind of an influence Buntu has on Sizwe and what Sizwe loses and gains.
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)