|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, how does Sizwe begin telling the audience about going to a bar with Buntu?
2. What system of segregation exists during the time of this play?
3. After Buntu's shoots down Sizwe's first two suggestions about the alleyway discovery, what is the next thing Sizwe continue to recommend doing?
4. Who starts leading the way to go home when Sizwe and Buntu leave the bar on their first night out?
5. According to Buntu, what would make him dig his own grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Is the framing device of the letter to Noweto a foundation for the rest of the action, a means to getting out information that cannot easily be staged, or both? Explain your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Buntu and Sizwe Banzi have highly contrasting beliefs about themselves, their place in society as black men and the options available to them. Explore the ways the author uses this contrast as a root for dramatic conflict in the play.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)