|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Buntu say the preacher compare death to in his speech?
2. In Part 4, how does Sizwe begin telling the audience about going to a bar with Buntu?
3. What was Buntu's suggestion about what he had found in the alleyway?
4. After introducing himself, what does Sizwe tell everyone he meets in Part 4 to do?
5. When Buntu finally fetches the book, what does he first tell Sizwe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given the desperation of the situation in which blacks found themselves in Apartheid-era South Africa, is it honorable or dishonorable for Sizwe to claim the identity of a dead man? Explain your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of being 'alive' versus being 'dead' or a 'ghost' as represented in the play.
Essay Topic 3
In the final moments of the play, Styles tells Sizwe to smile. Explain how this instruction from one character to another functions as a summary of the play's themes of hope, struggle, and change.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)