|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sizwe first tell Buntu at the beginning of Part 3?
2. What was the first suggestion by Sizwe to Buntu regarding his discovery in the alleyway?
3. .What does Buntu tell Sizwe to do after they have a fight outside of the bar?
4. Where is Sizwe when he introduces himself to other people on the night he went to the bar with Buntu?
5. What was the second suggestion offered to Buntu regarding the discovery in the alleyway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how pride is central to the play, paying particular attention to the relationship between Buntu and Sizwe Banzi.
Essay Topic 2
In the final moments of the play, Styles tells Sizwe to smile. Explain how this instruction from one character to another functions as a summary of the play's themes of hope, struggle, and change.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways the playwright uses unseen characters such as Sizwe's wife, Noweto, and Zola to suggest aspects of the main characters' lives outside of the action on stage. In your answer, take note of the fact that there are no white characters mentioned in the play, only the general authority they hold over blacks in South Africa.
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)