|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of speech did the car manufacturer owner want to give to the employees?
2. Who came to collect the pictures for the aforementioned family?
3. How does Zwelinzima begin to act as Style interacts with him?
4. What memento does Styles have left of his father?
5. What was the owner of the car manufacturing plant's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Buntu switch the pictures in Sizwe's and Robert's passbooks?
2. Why does Buntu become calmer when telling Sizwe he's married with a child and sympathizes with his desire to improve himself?
3. How does the playwright play upon audience curiosity in Part 2?
4. What is the significance of the kitten's name?
5. What is the passbook a symbol of?
6. Why does Sizwe tear off his clothes in Part 4?
7. Why doesn't Sizwe want to work in the mines?
8. How is it suggested that if an oppressed black man can realize his dreams in a photographic studio, then black people everywhere can realize their dreams no matter what they are?
9. What does Sizwe claim that the dead Robert is doing in light of the idea of Sizwe taking his identity/name?
10. How much respect does Buntu have for Sizwe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What narrative devices does the playwright use to paint a vivid picture of frustration and persecution in the black community under Apartheid?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of being 'alive' versus being 'dead' or a 'ghost' as represented in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effect of having Styles and Buntu played by the same actor. What parallels and contrasts are there between the two characters, and how are they significant to the play as a whole?
This section contains 1,824 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)