|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zwelinzima begin to act as Style interacts with him?
2. What is the name of the character first seen in the opening part of the play?
3. What is the first customer that Styles describes coming into the shop for a picture?
4. When Styles gives the pictures back to the family member, what does the family member begin to do?
5. What did the owner of the house do to help the narrator of the letter while he was supposedly living there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buntu both protest against and sympathize with Sizwe in Part 3?
2. Explore the ways in which the playwright incorporates the idea of freedom into this part of the play.
3. What can be deduced by the audience in regards to the nature of Robert's letter?
4. Hypothesize the possible meanings this Part of the play and the passbook itself could have in relation to the struggle of black people against white people.
5. Comment upon the feelings of what a western audience might feel in the face of the idea of changing one's identity.
6. How does this section of the play give us more information about the circumstances under which black people lived under Apartheid?
7. Of what significance is Robert turning out to introduce himself to Buntu as Sizwe Banzi?
8. Expand on the significance of the idea of transformation in this play.
9. Why does Sizwe tear off his clothes in Part 4?
10. How is it suggested that if an oppressed black man can realize his dreams in a photographic studio, then black people everywhere can realize their dreams no matter what they are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given the desperation of the situation in which blacks found themselves in Apartheid-era South Africa, is it honorable or dishonorable for Sizwe to claim the identity of a dead man? Explain your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How, in Part 1 of the play, does the playwright use metaphor to show the living situation of black workers in Apartheid-era South Africa? Make reference to the stories of a) Styles' job at the Ford plant and Henry Ford Jr's visit, and b) The 'Doom' insect spray and the cat.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how foreshadowing is used in the play, making particular reference to either:
A) Styles' monologue in Part 1.
B) Buntu's actions in Parts 4 and 5.
This section contains 1,346 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)