|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is Buntu played by?
2. What is the name of Zwelinzima's wife in Part 2?
3. Which car manufacturing plant did Styles originally work for?
4. How many pictures does Zwelinzima want taken in Part 2?
5. How long did Styles say the owner of the car manufacturing plant stay at the plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment upon the feelings of what a western audience might feel in the face of the idea of changing one's identity.
2. Why might the father of the family who came into Styles' studio have died so soon after having come in?
3. Why does Buntu's mood change at the end of Part 3?
4. How is the name "Doom" significant in Styles' story about the cockroach problem?
5. Why did Sizwe enjoy his experience drinking at the bar he went to with Buntu?
6. Of what significance is Robert turning out to introduce himself to Buntu as Sizwe Banzi?
7. Expand on the significance of the idea of transformation in this play.
8. Describe the way Buntu's mood abruptly changes at the end of Part 3, and what he decides to do as a result.
9. Why might Styles' charming demeanor come as a surprise to the audience, given the times in which this play takes place, as well as the period in which it was performed?
10. What does Sizwe claim that the dead Robert is doing in light of the idea of Sizwe taking his identity/name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2The central question of the play asks what defines identity: one's name or one's actions. Explore whether the play offers an answer to this question, or whether it remains ambiguous.
Essay Topic 3It is ironic that the only place where Sizwe feels dignified and respected is at a bar - a place of drinking, vices, and escape from reality? Do you agree with this statement? Discuss.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)