|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Styles call his photography room?
2. What was the name of the insect spray in the commercial in the first part of the play?
3. What emotion does Styles describe spreading when he finally is able to get a family to smile in a group photo in Part 1?
4. What did Buntu allow Zwelinzima to do?
5. Which American President does Styles refer to as having an effect on South Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it suggested that if an oppressed black man can realize his dreams in a photographic studio, then black people everywhere can realize their dreams no matter what they are?
2. In Part 4, how is it revealed that Sizwe has already taken on the dead man's identity?
3. At the start of Part 3, why does Buntu say Sizwe is in real trouble?
4. What does Buntu say to Sizwe to convince him to change identity?
5. How does the playwright play upon audience curiosity in Part 2?
6. Explain how Styles' comment of "We have nothing but ourselves" could be translated positively.
7. Explain how as an audience, we know from the very opening scene that this play will involve the concepts of racial discrimination against blacks, and their struggles.
8. Why does Buntu's mood change at the end of Part 3?
9. How do Sizwe and Buntu find the dead body after they leave the bar?
10. What would one say might be the climax of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of being 'alive' versus being 'dead' or a 'ghost' as represented in the play.
Essay Topic 2
In the final moments of the play, Styles tells Sizwe to smile. Explain how this instruction from one character to another functions as a summary of the play's themes of hope, struggle, and change.
Essay Topic 3
Is the framing device of the letter to Noweto a foundation for the rest of the action, a means to getting out information that cannot easily be staged, or both? Explain your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)