|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Styles realized was infested with cockroaches?
2. What is the name of the character first seen in the opening part of the play?
3. What type of picture does Styles aim to provide for Zwelinzima?
4. How long did Styles say the owner of the car manufacturing plant stay at the plant?
5. How does Zwelinzima begin to act as Style interacts with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, after Sizwe asks Buntu how long it will "last," does Buntu suddenly says he's tired, bid goodnight to Robert and leave?
2. How does this section of the play give us more information about the circumstances under which black people lived under Apartheid?
3. Why might the father of the family who came into Styles' studio have died so soon after having come in?
4. Why does Buntu switch the pictures in Sizwe's and Robert's passbooks?
5. What can be deduced by the audience in regards to the nature of Robert's letter?
6. What is the playwright implying about the fact that "Robert" was still unsuccessful working with Zola?
7. Explain the meaning behind Styles yelling out for Robert to imagine that he is against the backdrop of the "city of the future".
8. What does Buntu have to say to Sizwe about the importance of names?
9. How does Part 2 draw the audience in to the play in general?
10. What does Buntu say to Sizwe to convince him to change identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The passbook is a powerful metaphor for racism and white power. Discuss its effect on the lives of the different characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
How, in Part 1 of the play, does the playwright use metaphor to show the living situation of black workers in Apartheid-era South Africa? Make reference to the stories of a) Styles' job at the Ford plant and Henry Ford Jr's visit, and b) The 'Doom' insect spray and the cat.
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree that Sizwe loses his innocence over the course of the play? Discuss with reference to what kind of an influence Buntu has on Sizwe and what Sizwe loses and gains.
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)