|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Styles, convincing his customers to take pictures in a way that is different than they prefer is...
(a) A collaborative effort.
(b) Only understandable.
(c) Robbing them of their dreams.
(d) A very mean thing to do.
2. What does the owner of the car manufacturing plant call himself in his speech to the plant workers?
(a) A bloody fool.
(b) A visionary.
(c) A learned man.
(d) A wise man.
3. In the words of Styles in Part one, "We own nothing but..."
(a) Our spirit.
(b) Our freedom.
(c) Our money.
4. What job did Styles' father hold?
(a) He was a soldier for South Africa.
(b) He was a ship captain for Germany.
(c) He was a pilot for the UK.
(d) He was a pilot for South Africa.
5. In the letter being read aloud in Part 2, what does it declare about Sizwe Banzi?
(a) That he has been injured.
(b) That he is alive.
(c) That he is in the hospital.
(d) That he is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which car manufacturing plant did Styles originally work for?
2. What is the name of the character first seen in the opening part of the play?
3. Which culture in Part 1 does Styles says effects the South African economy?
4. What was the owner of the car manufacturing plant's name?
5. How did Styles interpret the speech given by the car manufacturer owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Sizwe want to work in the mines?
2. Explore the ways in which the playwright incorporates the idea of freedom into this part of the play.
3. Why does Buntu's mood change at the end of Part 3?
4. Why does Buntu switch the pictures in Sizwe's and Robert's passbooks?
5. What is the playwright implying about the fact that "Robert" was still unsuccessful working with Zola?
6. When Sizwe describes how the passbook goes with him everywhere, what else could he be describing?
7. In Part 4, how is it revealed that Sizwe has already taken on the dead man's identity?
8. What is the significance of the kitten's name?
9. In what way does Style's story about the Ford plant speech show that he was an enterprising personality even before he had his own business?
10. What is the passbook a symbol of?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)