|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zwelinzima explains that he was introduced to another friend through his house owner, named...
2. What is the name of the character first seen in the opening part of the play?
3. What was the name of Styles' pet when he first bought the photo shop?
4. What did the owner of the house do to help the narrator of the letter while he was supposedly living there?
(a) Contact his family.
(b) Escape the police.
(c) Find a job.
(d) Work at his house.
5. In whose house does Zwelinzima say that he stayed while narrating his letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which adjective best describes the man who Styles first lets into his shop?
2. In what country is this story set?
3. According to Styles, convincing his customers to take pictures in a way that is different than they prefer is...
4. What other piece of contact information does Zwelinzima give to Styles?
5. Which culture in Part 1 does Styles says effects the South African economy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Part 2 draw the audience in to the play in general?
2. Why does Sizwe tear off his clothes in Part 4?
3. How do Sizwe and Buntu find the dead body after they leave the bar?
4. Of what significance is the fact that Styles is the same character as Buntu?
5. What can be deduced by the audience in regards to the nature of Robert's letter?
6. How does Sizwe and Buntu's disagreement about what to do with the dead body foreshadow their later conflict about Sizwe changing identity?
7. In what way does Style's story about the Ford plant speech show that he was an enterprising personality even before he had his own business?
8. What is the purpose of Robert being illuminated in a single light right before he begins narrating his letter to his wife?
9. Hypothesize the possible meanings this Part of the play and the passbook itself could have in relation to the struggle of black people against white people.
10. What does Buntu have to say to Sizwe about the importance of names?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)