|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Styles say he had to go through to attain ownership of a building and a business?
(b) Too much pain.
2. Who came to collect the pictures for the aforementioned family?
(a) The grandmother.
(b) The sister.
(c) The eldest sister.
(d) The eldest son.
3. What interrupts Styles' story to the audience at the end of Part 1?
(a) Styles falling asleep.
(b) A knock on the door.
(c) A scream outside.
(d) A man yelling from upstairs.
4. In the letter being read aloud in Part 2, what does it declare about Sizwe Banzi?
(a) That he is in the hospital.
(b) That he is dead.
(c) That he is alive.
(d) That he has been injured.
5. What type of picture does Styles aim to provide for Zwelinzima?
(a) The most interesting one.
(b) A memorable one.
(c) The best possible picture.
(d) A black and white one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is Buntu played by?
2. What is the main character reading at the opening of the play?
3. What is the name of the character first seen in the opening part of the play?
4. What type of speech did the car manufacturer owner want to give to the employees?
5. In the words of Styles in Part one, "We own nothing but..."
Short Essay Questions
1. At the start of Part 3, why does Buntu say Sizwe is in real trouble?
2. Why might the father of the family who came into Styles' studio have died so soon after having come in?
3. What reasons does Buntu give Sizwe for not trying to get a new passbook?
4. In Part 4, how is it revealed that Sizwe has already taken on the dead man's identity?
5. How do Sizwe and Buntu find the dead body after they leave the bar?
6. Comment upon the feelings of what a western audience might feel in the face of the idea of changing one's identity.
7. Why does Buntu's mood change at the end of Part 3?
8. How does Buntu both protest against and sympathize with Sizwe in Part 3?
9. Are Sizwe's and Buntu's reactions to finding the dead body the same? Explain your answer.
10. Why does Sizwe tear off his clothes in Part 4?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)