|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first customer that Styles describes coming into the shop for a picture?
(a) A woman with a bird.
(b) A man with a diploma.
(c) A man with a trumpet.
(d) A father with his son
2. What emotion does Styles describe spreading when he finally is able to get a family to smile in a group photo in Part 1?
3. What was the owner of the car manufacturing plant's name?
(a) Henry Ford Sr.
(b) John Williamson.
(c) James T Phillips.
(d) Henry Ford Jr.
4. What did Styles realized was infested with cockroaches?
(a) The building.
(b) His bedroom.
(c) His sink.
(d) His shop.
5. According to Styles, convincing his customers to take pictures in a way that is different than they prefer is...
(a) Only understandable.
(b) A very mean thing to do.
(c) A collaborative effort.
(d) Robbing them of their dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal did Styles get to catch cockroaches?
2. Which car manufacturing plant did Styles originally work for?
3. Which American President does Styles refer to as having an effect on South Africa?
4. When Styles takes the second photograph for Zwelinzima, what happens him?
5. How does Zwelinzima begin to act as Style interacts with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Robert being illuminated in a single light right before he begins narrating his letter to his wife?
2. How is the name "Doom" significant in Styles' story about the cockroach problem?
3. Comment upon the feelings of what a western audience might feel in the face of the idea of changing one's identity.
4. Expand on the significance of the idea of transformation in this play.
5. Why doesn't Sizwe want to work in the mines?
6. What would one say might be the climax of the play?
7. What could be the meaning behind Buntu quietly telling Sizwe to "come along home" at the end of this Part?
8. How does Styles transform Robert's attitude in Part 2?
9. Why does Buntu tell Sizwe the story of Jacob, a man who recently died?
10. What is the playwright implying about the fact that "Robert" was still unsuccessful working with Zola?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)