|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Zwelinzima's wife in Part 2?
2. Which culture in Part 1 does Styles says effects the South African economy?
(b) South African.
3. How does Zwelinzima explain the series of happenings that apparently gave him only three days to leave his dwelling?
(a) Each story intertwines deeply into the next.
(b) It is basically unexplained.
(c) The stories seem to be lies.
(d) The stories do not make sense.
4. What emotion does Styles describe spreading when he finally is able to get a family to smile in a group photo in Part 1?
5. What did the owner of the house do to help the narrator of the letter while he was supposedly living there?
(a) Escape the police.
(b) Contact his family.
(c) Work at his house.
(d) Find a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other piece of contact information does Zwelinzima give to Styles?
2. What is the name of the man with whom Styles first interacts?
3. What type of speech did the car manufacturer owner want to give to the employees?
4. What was the name of Styles' pet when he first bought the photo shop?
5. Who does Zwelinzima introduce himself to Buntu as in the end of Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could be the meaning behind Buntu quietly telling Sizwe to "come along home" at the end of this Part?
2. Why doesn't Sizwe want to work in the mines?
3. How is the studio a "place of dreams"?
4. What reasons does Buntu give Sizwe for not trying to get a new passbook?
5. Why does Buntu tell Sizwe the story of Jacob, a man who recently died?
6. How does the playwright play upon audience curiosity in Part 2?
7. Why might the father of the family who came into Styles' studio have died so soon after having come in?
8. How does Sizwe and Buntu's disagreement about what to do with the dead body foreshadow their later conflict about Sizwe changing identity?
9. What would one say might be the climax of the play?
10. Why could it be hypocritical of Buntu to tell the story about Jacob?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)