|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What family member does Styles reminisce about at the end of Part 1?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His father.
(c) His baby sister.
(d) His mother.
2. What is the first customer that Styles describes coming into the shop for a picture?
(a) A father with his son
(b) A man with a trumpet.
(c) A woman with a bird.
(d) A man with a diploma.
3. What is the main character reading at the opening of the play?
(a) A letter.
(b) A book.
(c) A magazine.
(d) A newspaper.
4. Zwelinzima explains that he was introduced to another friend through his house owner, named...
5. What did the owner of the house do to help the narrator of the letter while he was supposedly living there?
(a) Find a job.
(b) Work at his house.
(c) Escape the police.
(d) Contact his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pictures does Zwelinzima want taken in Part 2?
2. For whom did Styles say he one day realized that he was working and making money?
3. What is the name of Zwelinzima's wife in Part 2?
4. What does Styles shout out for Zwelinzima to imagine he's posing against while getting his picture taken?
5. What other piece of contact information does Zwelinzima give to Styles?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the playwright play upon audience curiosity in Part 2?
2. How do Styles' mannerisms and outward thoughts affect the audience's understanding of Styles' life views?
3. Why might Styles' charming demeanor come as a surprise to the audience, given the times in which this play takes place, as well as the period in which it was performed?
4. How is it suggested that if an oppressed black man can realize his dreams in a photographic studio, then black people everywhere can realize their dreams no matter what they are?
5. Explore the ways in which the playwright incorporates the idea of freedom into this part of the play.
6. How is the name "Doom" significant in Styles' story about the cockroach problem?
7. What is the playwright implying about the fact that "Robert" was still unsuccessful working with Zola?
8. Why does Buntu's mood change at the end of Part 3?
9. How does Part 2 draw the audience in to the play in general?
10. What can be deduced by the audience in regards to the nature of Robert's letter?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)