|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which car manufacturing plant did Styles originally work for?
2. According to Styles, convincing his customers to take pictures in a way that is different than they prefer is...
(a) A very mean thing to do.
(b) Robbing them of their dreams.
(c) A collaborative effort.
(d) Only understandable.
3. What type of speech did the car manufacturer owner want to give to the employees?
(a) A quick speech.
(b) An educational speech.
(c) An inspirational speech.
(d) An endearing speech.
4. How long did Styles say the owner of the car manufacturing plant stay at the plant?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) One week.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Two days.
5. What job did Styles' father hold?
(a) He was a pilot for South Africa.
(b) He was a pilot for the UK.
(c) He was a soldier for South Africa.
(d) He was a ship captain for Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the owner of the car manufacturer plant unable to give the speech he wanted to give?
2. In what country is this story set?
3. What interrupts Styles' story to the audience at the end of Part 1?
4. What does Styles convince Zwelinzima to do in Part 2?
5. What memento does Styles have left of his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this section of the play give us more information about the circumstances under which black people lived under Apartheid?
2. How does Buntu both protest against and sympathize with Sizwe in Part 3?
3. How is Buntu's display in order to convince Sizwe to change identities particularly powerful?
4. Of what significance is Robert turning out to introduce himself to Buntu as Sizwe Banzi?
5. Explain the meaning behind Styles yelling out for Robert to imagine that he is against the backdrop of the "city of the future".
6. Describe the way Buntu's mood abruptly changes at the end of Part 3, and what he decides to do as a result.
7. Are Sizwe's and Buntu's reactions to finding the dead body the same? Explain your answer.
8. How does the playwright play upon audience curiosity in Part 2?
9. How much respect does Buntu have for Sizwe?
10. Why doesn't Sizwe want to work in the mines?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)