|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of speech did the car manufacturer owner want to give to the employees?
(a) An endearing speech.
(b) An inspirational speech.
(c) A quick speech.
(d) An educational speech.
2. Why was the owner of the car manufacturer plant unable to give the speech he wanted to give?
(a) He did not speak the same language as the employees.
(b) He had forgotten his notes.
(c) He just had surgery.
(d) He was tired.
3. What type of picture does Styles aim to provide for Zwelinzima?
(a) The most interesting one.
(b) A black and white one.
(c) The best possible picture.
(d) A memorable one.
4. Why did the workers have to increase their output after the owner's speech?
(a) They were being punished.
(b) To make up for the lost time during the speech.
(c) They volunteered to.
(d) The owner personally requested it.
5. What other piece of contact information does Zwelinzima give to Styles?
(a) His mother's phone number.
(b) His phone number.
(c) His mother's addres.
(d) His address.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Zwelinzima's wife in Part 2?
2. How did Styles interpret the speech given by the car manufacturer owner?
3. What did Buntu allow Zwelinzima to do?
4. What is the name of the character first seen in the opening part of the play?
5. For whom did Styles say he one day realized that he was working and making money?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Buntu's story about Jacob, what does the preacher say about death?
2. What does Sizwe claim that the dead Robert is doing in light of the idea of Sizwe taking his identity/name?
3. How does Styles transform Robert's attitude in Part 2?
4. Explain how Styles' comment of "We have nothing but ourselves" could be translated positively.
5. Why does Buntu tell Sizwe the story of Jacob, a man who recently died?
6. In Part 4, how is it revealed that Sizwe has already taken on the dead man's identity?
7. Why does Sizwe tear off his clothes in Part 4?
8. Why doesn't Sizwe want to work in the mines?
9. How does the passbook represent oppression of blacks in Apartheid-era South Africa?
10. How do Styles' mannerisms and outward thoughts affect the audience's understanding of Styles' life views?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)