|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose house does Zwelinzima say that he stayed while narrating his letter?
2. What did the owner of the house do to help the narrator of the letter while he was supposedly living there?
(a) Contact his family.
(b) Work at his house.
(c) Find a job.
(d) Escape the police.
3. In what country is this story set?
(b) South Africa.
4. What was the name of the insect spray in the commercial in the first part of the play?
5. What type of speech did the car manufacturer owner want to give to the employees?
(a) An educational speech.
(b) A quick speech.
(c) An inspirational speech.
(d) An endearing speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Styles say the owner of the car manufacturing plant stay at the plant?
2. What does the first man who walks into Styles' shop want?
3. What emotion does Styles describe spreading when he finally is able to get a family to smile in a group photo in Part 1?
4. In his recollection spurred by the insect repellent, what animal does Styles compare himself to?
5. Which adjective best describes the man who Styles first lets into his shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this section of the play give us more information about the circumstances under which black people lived under Apartheid?
2. What is the purpose of Robert being illuminated in a single light right before he begins narrating his letter to his wife?
3. When Sizwe describes how the passbook goes with him everywhere, what else could he be describing?
4. How does Buntu both protest against and sympathize with Sizwe in Part 3?
5. Comment upon the feelings of what a western audience might feel in the face of the idea of changing one's identity.
6. What all does Sizwe say to Noweto, his wife, in his letter at the end of Part 5?
7. What is the passbook a symbol of?
8. How does Part 2 draw the audience in to the play in general?
9. What is the significance of Robert being illuminated in the spotlight with the passbook in hand, segueing into his resuming the narration of the letter to Noweto?
10. How does Buntu help Sizwe "practice" being Robert Zwelinzima?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)