|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country is this story set?
(a) South Africa.
2. In his recollection spurred by the insect repellent, what animal does Styles compare himself to?
(a) A pig.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A rat.
(d) A dog.
3. Which car manufacturing plant did Styles originally work for?
4. What is the name of the character first seen in the opening part of the play?
5. Which American President does Styles refer to as having an effect on South Africa?
(a) Wilson Woodrow.
(b) Teddy Roosevelt.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) John Kennedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose house does Zwelinzima say that he stayed while narrating his letter?
2. What did Buntu allow Zwelinzima to do?
3. Who came to collect the pictures for the aforementioned family?
4. According to Styles, convincing his customers to take pictures in a way that is different than they prefer is...
5. Who does Zwelinzima introduce himself to Buntu as in the end of Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What all does Sizwe say to Noweto, his wife, in his letter at the end of Part 5?
2. How could the mention of the name Robert Zwelinzima be a powerful instance of foreshadowing?
3. Are Sizwe's and Buntu's reactions to finding the dead body the same? Explain your answer.
4. What can one say about the significance of Sizwe finally signing his real name at the end of his letter to Noweto?
5. How does Buntu both protest against and sympathize with Sizwe in Part 3?
6. How does Sizwe and Buntu's disagreement about what to do with the dead body foreshadow their later conflict about Sizwe changing identity?
7. Without having seen the play, what would be a safe implication to make about the character of Robert, given that one of the first things he does is give his name and immediately afterward, his address?
8. How does the passbook represent oppression of blacks in Apartheid-era South Africa?
9. How do Sizwe and Buntu find the dead body after they leave the bar?
10. How do Styles' three stories also paint a clear picture of the living situation of black workers in South Africa in the time of Apartheid?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)