|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Styles, convincing his customers to take pictures in a way that is different than they prefer is...
(a) Only understandable.
(b) A collaborative effort.
(c) Robbing them of their dreams.
(d) A very mean thing to do.
2. Zwelinzima explains that he was introduced to another friend through his house owner, named...
3. During which war did Styles' father fight?
(a) World War I.
(b) The 7 Year War.
(c) The Indo-Japanese War.
(d) World War II.
4. Which adjective best describes the man who Styles first lets into his shop?
5. What family member does Styles reminisce about at the end of Part 1?
(a) His baby sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first customer that Styles describes coming into the shop for a picture?
2. What does the first man who walks into Styles' shop want?
3. Why was the owner of the car manufacturer plant unable to give the speech he wanted to give?
4. In whose house does Zwelinzima say that he stayed while narrating his letter?
5. Why did the workers have to increase their output after the owner's speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can one say about the significance of Sizwe finally signing his real name at the end of his letter to Noweto?
2. In what way does Style's story about the Ford plant speech show that he was an enterprising personality even before he had his own business?
3. How does Sizwe and Buntu's disagreement about what to do with the dead body foreshadow their later conflict about Sizwe changing identity?
4. How does Styles transform Robert's attitude in Part 2?
5. Why might Styles' charming demeanor come as a surprise to the audience, given the times in which this play takes place, as well as the period in which it was performed?
6. What can be extrapolated from the fact that Sizwe writes to his wife about living in another woman's home, and that despite their working together, they were not able to succeed?
7. What could be the meaning behind Buntu quietly telling Sizwe to "come along home" at the end of this Part?
8. Explain how Styles' comment of "We have nothing but ourselves" could be translated positively.
9. Why might the father of the family who came into Styles' studio have died so soon after having come in?
10. Of what significance is Robert turning out to introduce himself to Buntu as Sizwe Banzi?
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)