Short Essay Questions Key
1. Explain how as an audience, we know from the very opening scene that this play will involve the concepts of racial discrimination against blacks, and their struggles.
2. Why might Styles' charming demeanor come as a surprise to the audience, given the times in which this play takes place, as well as the period in which it was performed?
3. In what way does Style's story about the Ford plant speech show that he was an enterprising personality even before he had his own business?
4. How is the name "Doom" significant in Styles' story about the cockroach problem?
5. How do Styles' mannerisms and outward thoughts affect the audience's understanding of Styles' life views?
6. What is the significance of the kitten's name?
7. Why might the father of the family who came into Styles' studio have died so soon after having come in?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)