|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which actress does Elizabeth fear she resembles too much?
2. Who spits on Flan at the end of this section?
3. Near the end of the play, Ouisa that she has plenty of color in her life, but none of this?
4. Which notorious public figure does Tess invoke to describe what her parents are asking her to do?
5. Paul tells Ouisa he did not like Kitty and Larkin for what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Six Degrees of Separation exists in a world of hyper-literate individuals. As such, it is riddled with specific references to art, pop culture, and New York. Write an essay about references and allusions in each of these three realms of thought. Who makes them on a regular basis? How do they flesh out both individual characters and the world of the play as a whole? Do they date the play?
Essay Topic 2
The very title of Guare's play indicates that it is concerned in large part with the interconnectedness of our world. Write an essay about the theme of interconnectedness. How does Paul's arrival into the Kittredges' lives draw attention to their place in society? How does this lead Ouisa to consider the six degrees? What connections create this meeting and what new connections does it create?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Paul. Focus on his objectives as a character. What does he want out of life, and why does lying his way into affluent homes and assuming a false identity help achieve it? What do the Kittredges offer him that the other families do not? Do you think that his objective reveals some psychological scar?
This section contains 1,897 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)