|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spits on Flan at the end of this section?
2. Which of the following is not a college that Paul lists Flan's "new" children attending?
3. Which of the following items is not among those Paul stole from Trent when he left?
4. What state are Flan and Ouisa from originally?
5. What adjective do Flan and Paul repeatedly use to describe the dull part of art dealing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The end of the play is ambiguous in wrapping up many of its plot lines. Write an essay about the final moments of the play, focusing on the fate of Paul. How do the Kittredges fail to find him in the Village, and how does he become lost in the criminal justice system? What does this say about his place in the world and the place of those like him?
Essay Topic 2
Six Degrees of Separation exists in a world of hyper-literate individuals. As such, it is riddled with specific references to art, pop culture, and New York. Write an essay about references and allusions in each of these three realms of thought. Who makes them on a regular basis? How do they flesh out both individual characters and the world of the play as a whole? Do they date the play?
Essay Topic 3
Time and again in this narrative, the question of race in America crops up. Write an essay on the idea of race in the world of this play. Do the Kittredges seem to have any other black acquaintances besides Paul? What realities of black life in America does he bring into their lives? What darker realities about race arise from the polite liberal facade of the parents in the play?
This section contains 1,883 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)