|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rick and Elizabeth do to make money in New York?
2. Which of the following is not among the "charges" the Kittredges and Larkin list to the Detective regarding Paul?
3. Where does the doorman say Flan's illegitimate son is living?
4. What is Sidney Poitier's first wife's name?
5. What word's pronunciation is Trent trying to correct when he and Paul appear onstage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ouisa Kittredge emerges as the protagonist of the play by the end. Write an essay analyzing the plot of Guare's play as a personal journey for Ouisa. What does she discover in her evening with Paul? Why is she so driven to find out his origins and where he is, and how does this drive bring her to promise extravagant things to him over the phone? What is Ouisa's state of mind at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Time and again in this narrative, the question of race in America crops up. Write an essay on the idea of race in the world of this play. Do the Kittredges seem to have any other black acquaintances besides Paul? What realities of black life in America does he bring into their lives? What darker realities about race arise from the polite liberal facade of the parents in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about parent-child relationships in Guare's play. What is the recurring motif regarding the parents who are duped in the play and their children? How do these relationships play out onstage? How do these parents regard their children, and how does Paul represent a sort of idealized form of their children?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)