|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through what letter of Trent's address book does Paul get before leaving him?
2. What mystery writer does Flan invoke as the parents try to figure out what they have in common?
3. In this section, which parent repeatedly states that they don't want to know what their children are doing?
4. What information does the Detective bring to Flan and Ouisa in this section?
5. Which of the following terms is not something that Dr. Fine accuses Paul of being?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Kandinsky in the Kittredge condo is the central symbolic image of the play. Write an essay about the significance of this image. What theme do its opposite sides symbolize? How does the opposing control and wildness of the painting manifest itself in the action onstage? How do you interpret Paul's cryptic final words?
Essay Topic 2
Trent Conway has a smaller but resonant role in Six Degrees of Separation. His decision to take Paul home one night catalyzes the ensuing events that comprise the play. Write an essay about Trent's motivation and catalyzing effect on the play. What does Trent want? Is he accepted by any particular group? How does he see his training of Paul as a solution?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, several couples come into contact with Paul and are affected by the experience in profoundly different ways. Write an essay about these different relationships. How do they come into contact with Paul? What does he give them and what does he take away? How are they forced to reassess their ideas of self, love, family?
Part 1) Larkin and Kitty
Part 2) Elizabeth and Rick
Part 3) Ouisa and Flan
This section contains 1,910 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)