|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sidney Poitier's first wife's name?
2. From what state have Rick and Elizabeth recently moved?
3. Which of the following items is not among those Paul stole from Trent when he left?
4. What word's pronunciation is Trent trying to correct when he and Paul appear onstage?
5. Which of the assembled children in this section takes exception for what he perceives as an unspoken accusation of drug use?
Essay Topic 1
Six Degrees of Separation exists in a world of hyper-literate individuals. As such, it is riddled with specific references to art, pop culture, and New York. Write an essay about references and allusions in each of these three realms of thought. Who makes them on a regular basis? How do they flesh out both individual characters and the world of the play as a whole? Do they date the play?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Paul. Focus on his objectives as a character. What does he want out of life, and why does lying his way into affluent homes and assuming a false identity help achieve it? What do the Kittredges offer him that the other families do not? Do you think that his objective reveals some psychological scar?
Essay Topic 3
The story of this play is told almost entirely by the Kittredges. Write an essay detailing what you think they intend to impress upon the listener about their role in the story. How do they view themselves? Do they think that they have made mistakes in the course of events? What ultimately do they realize about themselves as they relive the events of the play?
This section contains 1,880 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)