|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dr. Fine get a good deal on his brownstone?
2. What arrives with the flowers that Paul sends the Kittredges?
3. What do Rick and Elizabeth do to make money in New York?
4. Which New York periodical publishes the Kittredges' story in this section?
5. Which of the following items is not something Paul asks Ouisa to send him in prison?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about parent-child relationships in Guare's play. What is the recurring motif regarding the parents who are duped in the play and their children? How do these relationships play out onstage? How do these parents regard their children, and how does Paul represent a sort of idealized form of their children?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Paul. Focus on his objectives as a character. What does he want out of life, and why does lying his way into affluent homes and assuming a false identity help achieve it? What do the Kittredges offer him that the other families do not? Do you think that his objective reveals some psychological scar?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the plot of Six Degrees of Separation involves wealthy members of rarified New York dealing with the other half of society. Write an essay about the Kittredges' interaction with less affluent characters. How do they relate to each other? In what ways do the Kittredges and their friend find dealing in this other world frustrating?
Part 1) The Hustler
Part 2) The Detective
Part 3) Elizabeth
This section contains 1,918 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)