|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elizabeth and Rick say they live above New York's last what?
(a) Cigar bar
(b) Swing club
(c) Billiard club
(d) Roller disco
2. What does Tess suggest her mother should have done with Paul?
(a) Slept with him
(b) Have him arrested
(c) Adopt him
(d) Never let him in
3. Which of the following items is not something Paul asks Ouisa to send him in prison?
4. What do Rick and Elizabeth do to make money in New York?
(a) Wait tables
(b) Turn tricks
(c) Temp in offices
(d) Busk in the subway
5. To what object from the play does Paul make reference in the final moment?
(a) The Alaskan huskie
(b) The Kandinski
(c) The pink shirt
(d) The address book
6. Who is the publish of Poitier's autobiography This Life?
(b) Random House
(c) Schuster and Schuster
7. How does Trent ironically describe his rich friends to Paul?
(a) Desperate and longing
(b) A lost generation
(c) Hopelessly romantic
(d) Hand to mouth
8. How do the Kittredges know the Larkin and Kitty?
(b) Their daughter
(c) One of Flan's former partners
(d) Their sons
9. According to Donald Barthelme, what is the art form of the twentieth century?
(a) Abstract expressionism
(d) Found object
10. Why has Kitty not spoken to her children when she tells Ouisa and Flan their story?
(a) They cannot get a call through
(b) They have been in the Hamptons all weekend
(c) Their children are abroad
(d) Their children refuse to speak with them
11. What offer does Paul make Ouisa when she is trying to find out where he is?
(a) He will be their house-keeper
(b) He will come over and make dinner
(c) He will turn himself in
(d) He will give them back their fifty dollars
12. At the end of their first meeting with their children, Flan protests to Tess that she is not a part of a conspiracy but what?
(a) A relationship
(b) A secret
(c) An understanding
(d) A family
13. In which play by Anton Chekhov does Rick say he wants to be the lead?
(a) The Seagull
(b) The Cherry Orchard
(d) Uncle Vanya
14. In the second excerpt from This Life that the parents read, what does Poitier warn his readers against doing regarding their children?
(a) Condescending them
(b) Ignoring them
(c) Smothering them
(d) Protecting them
15. Which of Chekhov's three sister's does Elizabeth decide she wants to play first?
(a) She cannot decide
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Flan characterize the request he makes his children in this section?
2. According to Kitty what famous starlet used the alias Harriet Brown at hotels?
3. What adjective do Flan and Paul repeatedly use to describe the dull part of art dealing?
4. According to Paul in this section, Cezanne tried to find the rules from which art movement?
5. What key information about Paul does Ouisa not have in her search for him?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)