|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 1, what aspect of his state of being does Flan repeatedly mention?
(a) He feels like he will throw up
(b) He is enraged
(c) He has a cold sweat
(d) He is shaking
2. Which of the following prominent New York families is not one that Paul mentions considering before deciding to come to the Kittredges?
(a) The Auchinslosses
(b) The Helmsleys
(c) The Onassises
(d) The Babcocks
3. At what time does Paul say he has to meet his father?
(a) 7:00 a.m.
(d) 10:00 a.m.
4. Which hotel is Poitier checking into in the morning, according to Paul?
(a) The Sherry
(b) The Waldorf-Astoria
(c) The Bowery
(d) The Gramercy Park
5. What school does the Kittredges' daughter attend?
6. Who does Paul jokingly say he will test on Catcher in the Rye?
(d) His advisor
7. What word does Ouisa tell Flan not to use in this section?
8. Where in New York did the schoolteacher who is the initial subject of Paul's thesis work?
(a) Long Island
(b) Staten Island
9. What negative world does Ouisa repeat over and over throughout the first couple minutes of the play?
10. In what country does Paul say he grew up?
11. What does the New York Times send contributors of the anecdotes Flan and Ouisa mention at the end of this section?
(a) A free subscription
(b) A Times tree ornament
(c) A framed excerpt
(d) A bottle of champagne
12. Why does Flan need to call his lawyer at the end of this section?
(a) To deal with the South African banks
(b) To assess damage done to the condo
(c) To inquire after Paul's identity
(d) To arbitrate the purchase of the Cezanne
13. According to Flan in this section, Geoffrey has recently sold a print by what modern artist?
(d) De Kooning
14. In Paul's description of his father, Sidney Poitier claims that growing up his family was so poor they did not even own what?
(c) Their shoes
(d) The IOUs they held
15. What did Paul's muggers take from him in addition to his wallet?
(a) His keys
(b) His suitcase
(c) His class ring
(d) His sport coat
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Paul to leave the condo in this section?
2. At the end of this section, who does Flan think Ouisa will say is God's name?
3. In what country did Wassily Kandinsky die?
4. What does Geoffrey say amazes him about New York in his first line?
5. Who do the Kittredges call after they regain their composure?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)