|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the very head of the gardens was a park called _________ Park, and after a turn north, there was a stone bridge called Rainbow Bridge.
2. Who thinks the illness is the result of the young girl that Yun had found for Shen Fu's father?
3. Shen Fu notes that _________ is a most generous gentleman, anxious to help those in trouble, whenever possible.
4. Yun decides that he and Shen Fu should leave at the morning of the ________ night watch in order to avoid capture and humiliation.
5. How many places in the world does Shen Fu say that he has visited in the beginning of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shen Fu have to say about the differences between impressions of seeing a place?
2. Why was Yun cast out of the house, according to the writings of Shen Fu?
3. What does Yun always try to do for the Shen Fu family, even though they are less than nice to her when she is around?
4. What are some of the reasons why Shen Fu doesn't seem to think it's fair that he should have misfortune in his life?
5. What happens when Shen Fu and his friend Hung-kan decide to climb Han Mountain together?
6. What happened when money began to be tight for Yun and Shen Fu, according to Shen Fu's writings?
7. What does Shen Fu seem to think about the presence of Hsi-erh in his life when Yun is away?
8. What was Shen Fu sent to do when he was a boy, according to his writing in this section?
9. What is the question Shen Fu begins this section of the book with, according to the content?
10. What happened at Chungwen Academy when Shen Fu is a boy, according to his writings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shen Fu considers himself to be a lucky person since he has been able to travel to far off places during his life.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for a person to travel away from home?
Part 2: Do you like to travel to new places? What has been your favorite experience?
Part 3: How do you think a person changes when they are able to experience new things in their life?
Essay Topic 2
Yun is cast out of the house after she tries to make good in a situation.
Part 1: Why do you think Yun is always cast as being a bad person in Shen Fu's family?
Part 2: How do you think you might respond if someone cast you out of your family?
Part 3: Do you think that Yun is a bad person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Shen Fu's best friend dies when they are very young, and Shen Fu always misses him as a result.
Part 1: Do you think it's harder to lose a friend when you are older or younger?
Part 2: How do you think you will feel if you lose a friend today versus when you are older?
Part 3: Why do you think Shen Fu is still so attached to his friend, even though he died many years before?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)