|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yun lets Shen Fu know that she is the ____________ on a loan for Shen Fu's younger brother and needs to pay the loan back.
2. Shen Fu feels regret for not having visited Orchid Pavilion or Yu's _________ when he was a younger boy.
3. What happened to the County Magistrate which led to Shen Fu's father being moved to Haining?
4. The Purple ________ Cave was only as big as a finger and nothing but water bubbled from it.
5. Yun was hired to embroider the _________ Sutra for a friend when she was having one of her more healthy times.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question Shen Fu begins this section of the book with, according to the content?
2. What did Shen Fu do with his free time when he was a young boy studying with another person?
3. What is Yun referred to when the times in the Yun and Shen Fu household begin to be difficult?
4. What places does Shen Fu like the best when he is moved to Hangchou as a young boy?
5. What does Shen Fu seem to think about the presence of Hsi-erh in his life when Yun is away?
6. What did Yun do so that their children were going to be able to stay warm in the cold months?
7. Where do Shen Fu and Yun move to when Yun is cast out of Shen Fu's family house?
8. What does Shen Fu think the manicured gardens of the neighborhood do for the gods?
9. Why was Yun cast out of the house, according to the writings of Shen Fu?
10. Why wasn't it a good idea to feed the novice at the monastery, according to Shen Fu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book ends without a real ending, as it is merely a collection of stories, though the endings have not been uncovered yet.
Part 1: How does it feel to have a story without a clear ending?
Part 2: Do you think the story still entertains a reader, even if it's not complete?
Part 3: How do you feel about the way the book is structured? Is it a true memoir, in your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
Shen Fu and Yun met as children, and began their love affair from that point on, rarely leaving each other's side.
Part 1: Do you think it's healthy for a couple to rarely leave the other's side?
Part 2: How do you think Shen Fu and Yun can continue to enjoy the company of the other person?
Part 3: Do you want to be married or partnered with a person who always wants to be with you?
Essay Topic 3
While this is a section about the simplest of pleasures, Shen Fu uses a lot of descriptions in order to be clear about what his pleasures are.
Part 1: Why do you think Shen Fu felt the need to be so technical in the way that he writes?
Part 2: Do you think the pleasures of Shen Fu are simple since they are so difficult to describe and to understand?
Part 3: How do you think a simple pleasure should be described? Can you describe one of your own?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)