|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Yun finds for Shen Fu's father when he makes a request for a companion?
2. When Shen Fu saw the problems going on around him when he was a government official, he gave up his position to become a _____________.
3. While the scent of the flowers overcame much of the dinner, what was the one ingredient which could not be overcome?
4. What was the last meal that Shen Fu and Yun shared before they left on their journey?
5. The madam of the first boat the Shen Fu and the others call to is called the Lady with the ____________ Hair.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yun referred to when the times in the Yun and Shen Fu household begin to be difficult?
2. What did Shen Fu do with his free time when he was a young boy studying with another person?
3. When Shen Fu's father stopped receiving letters from Shen Fu's mother, what did he think of Yun?
4. What does Shen Fu think the manicured gardens of the neighborhood do for the gods?
5. What does Yun always try to do for the Shen Fu family, even though they are less than nice to her when she is around?
6. Why was Yun cast out of the house, according to the writings of Shen Fu?
7. What places does Shen Fu like the best when he is moved to Hangchou as a young boy?
8. What happens when Shen Fu and his friend Hung-kan decide to climb Han Mountain together?
9. What are some of the reasons why Shen Fu doesn't seem to think it's fair that he should have misfortune in his life?
10. What does Feng-sen know when he is sent away for an apprenticeship, though he is never told this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shen Fu's family continues to berate Yun, subtly referring to her as one of Shen Fu's many wives, though this is not the situation.
Part 1: Why do you think Shen Fu's family feels it is okay to berate Yun?
Part 2: How do you think you might react if you were Shen Fu and you heard your family attack Yun?
Part 3: Do you think a family should have the right to berate another member of the family?
Essay Topic 2
At times, Shen Fu feels guilty for having more fun blowing up bamboo than seeing the historical sites in the area.
Part 1: Do you think it's important to visit all of the historical sites in an area?
Part 2: Why do you think Shen Fu feels guilty for wanting to do something else?
Part 3: How do you think he might have been able to balance other activities with exploring history as well?
Essay Topic 3
Shen Fu considers himself to be a lucky person since he has been able to travel to far off places during his life.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for a person to travel away from home?
Part 2: Do you like to travel to new places? What has been your favorite experience?
Part 3: How do you think a person changes when they are able to experience new things in their life?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)