|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Yun finds for Shen Fu's father when he makes a request for a companion?
2. What is the name of the cave where Shen Fu would go with others in order to cool off? _________ Cave.
3. What was so special about the place with the cave which Shen Fu would visit on the days when he didn't have classes?
4. Shen Fu feels regret for not having visited Orchid Pavilion or Yu's _________ when he was a younger boy.
5. What was the nickname that Shen Fu's family gave to Yun when she was a part of the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shen Fu's mother say when she found out the Yun was writing letters which were supposed to be from her to Yun's father in law?
2. What did Shen Fu do with his free time when he was a young boy studying with another person?
3. What does Yun always try to do for the Shen Fu family, even though they are less than nice to her when she is around?
4. What are the two mountains Shen Fu can see when he accepts the position from the magistrate at the age of 25?
5. What does Shen Fu have to say about the differences between impressions of seeing a place?
6. Why wasn't it a good idea to feed the novice at the monastery, according to Shen Fu?
7. What was Shen Fu sent to do when he was a boy, according to his writing in this section?
8. What is Yun's position in the Shen Fu family's house, according to the book and the story?
9. Why are the visits that Shen Fu makes with his friend during a more special time than any other time?
10. What is Yun referred to when the times in the Yun and Shen Fu household begin to be difficult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book ends without a real ending, as it is merely a collection of stories, though the endings have not been uncovered yet.
Part 1: How does it feel to have a story without a clear ending?
Part 2: Do you think the story still entertains a reader, even if it's not complete?
Part 3: How do you feel about the way the book is structured? Is it a true memoir, in your opinion?
Essay Topic 2
For a while, Shen Fu considers the life of a monk and a life of solitude, though he realizes that community is not for him.
Part 1: Why do you think Shen Fu wanted to have the life of solitude at one time?
Part 2: Do you think you would enjoy a life of solitude if it were possible for you?
Part 3: What are some of the benefits of living a solitude life, a life of prayer and devotion?
Essay Topic 3
According to the Introduction of the book, there is some dissent over whether this book is accurate or whether other transcripts have been written by the author.
Part 1: Do you feel that missing some of the book passages reduces your enjoyment of the book?
Part 2: Why do you think it's important to some readers that the text of a book be 100% accurate?
Part 3: How do you feel when you find out that a book is not completely accurate in its storytelling?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)