|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sage once tells Shen Fu that they should not use _______ with too fine a mesh as this will not allow them to catch anything.
2. Shen Fu finds out that a ________ stomach can not handle the taste of meat at first.
3. The _______ Garden was an area which boasted only a few disorderly piles of stones, according to Shen Fu.
4. The elders called in __________ for a performance during a dinner at the house, but Shen Fu and his friend decided to climb Han Mountain instead.
5. What can Yun and Shen Fu not bring with them when they go to move into the house of Hua?
Short Essay Questions
1. What places does Shen Fu like the best when he is moved to Hangchou as a young boy?
2. What happened when money began to be tight for Yun and Shen Fu, according to Shen Fu's writings?
3. What did Shen Fu decide that he'd rather do instead of visiting historical sites, which he now regrets?
4. Where do Shen Fu and Yun move to when Yun is cast out of Shen Fu's family house?
5. What is Yun's position in the Shen Fu family's house, according to the book and the story?
6. What did Shen Fu's mother think about Yun finding Chia-fu a concubine?
7. What did Shen Fu's mother say when she found out the Yun was writing letters which were supposed to be from her to Yun's father in law?
8. What does Shen Fu think the manicured gardens of the neighborhood do for the gods?
9. What would happen if Shen Fu and and the others didn't smuggle the girls back out of the apartment without anyone else seeing them?
10. What happens when Shen Fu and his friend Hung-kan decide to climb Han Mountain together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Shen Fu and Yun decided they wanted to entertain their friends, they would not spend a lot of money on food, but they would use that saved money to buy wine instead.
Part 1: What do you think of the choices that Shen Fu and Yun make in order to entertain their friends?
Part 2: Why do you think Shen Fu and Yun feel it is important to always have wine when they are entertaining?
Part 3: How would you feel if you were a guest of Shen Fu and Yun?
Essay Topic 2
According to the Introduction of the book, there is some dissent over whether this book is accurate or whether other transcripts have been written by the author.
Part 1: Do you feel that missing some of the book passages reduces your enjoyment of the book?
Part 2: Why do you think it's important to some readers that the text of a book be 100% accurate?
Part 3: How do you feel when you find out that a book is not completely accurate in its storytelling?
Essay Topic 3
While this is a section about the simplest of pleasures, Shen Fu uses a lot of descriptions in order to be clear about what his pleasures are.
Part 1: Why do you think Shen Fu felt the need to be so technical in the way that he writes?
Part 2: Do you think the pleasures of Shen Fu are simple since they are so difficult to describe and to understand?
Part 3: How do you think a simple pleasure should be described? Can you describe one of your own?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)