|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Shen Fu when he was told to kowtow to a friend of his father's in order to learn from him?
2. What did Shen Fu and Yun's daughter deny she was feeling, even though it was apparent that she was?
3. Yun and Shen Fu arrange for their son to learn the business of ___________ with another man in order to help him get started in the world.
4. What did Shen Fu's father notice was different about the letters Yun had been writing for Shen Fu's mother?
5. What was the more offensive name which Shen Fu's family gave to Yun when they were together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when money began to be tight for Yun and Shen Fu, according to Shen Fu's writings?
2. Why was Yun cast out of the house, according to the writings of Shen Fu?
3. What did Shen Fu's mother think about Yun finding Chia-fu a concubine?
4. What are the two mountains Shen Fu can see when he accepts the position from the magistrate at the age of 25?
5. What does Shen Fu seem to think about the presence of Hsi-erh in his life when Yun is away?
6. What did Shen Fu do with his free time when he was a young boy studying with another person?
7. When Shen Fu's father stopped receiving letters from Shen Fu's mother, what did he think of Yun?
8. Why wasn't it a good idea to feed the novice at the monastery, according to Shen Fu?
9. What did Yun do so that their children were going to be able to stay warm in the cold months?
10. What does Yun always try to do for the Shen Fu family, even though they are less than nice to her when she is around?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shen Fu holds close his memories of childhood as he tries to describe the simplest pleasures in his life as he grows up.
Part 1: Why do you think childhood memories are so important to Shen Fu in the telling of his story?
Part 2: Do you think it's important to look back at the past when you are living in the present day?
Part 3: How do you think focusing on one's past might be detrimental to one's present and to one's future?
Essay Topic 2
The family dynamics for Shen Fu and Yun are played out in the many ways the family mocks them and disowns them for trying to be happy.
Part 1: Why do you think it's so common for families to be the worst critics of their own children?
Part 2: How do you think you would handle so much criticism from your own family?
Part 3: Do you think that Shen Fu and Yun should have simply listened to their families? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
This book ends without a real ending, as it is merely a collection of stories, though the endings have not been uncovered yet.
Part 1: How does it feel to have a story without a clear ending?
Part 2: Do you think the story still entertains a reader, even if it's not complete?
Part 3: How do you feel about the way the book is structured? Is it a true memoir, in your opinion?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)