|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shen Fu feels regret for not having visited Orchid Pavilion or Yu's _________ when he was a younger boy.
2. What does the teacher suggest Shen Fu eat in order to balance out the way the soup will impact his body?
3. What was Shen Fu afraid that Yun would do during the debacle with the family and the accusations made of her?
4. What was the nickname that Shen Fu's family gave to Yun when she was a part of the family?
5. Shen Fu reminds the reader of a quote from the ancients: "Lack of ________ in a woman is a virtue."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Yun cast out of the house, according to the writings of Shen Fu?
2. Where do Shen Fu and Yun move to when Yun is cast out of Shen Fu's family house?
3. What did Shen Fu decide that he'd rather do instead of visiting historical sites, which he now regrets?
4. Why are the visits that Shen Fu makes with his friend during a more special time than any other time?
5. What is Yun referred to when the times in the Yun and Shen Fu household begin to be difficult?
6. What is the question Shen Fu begins this section of the book with, according to the content?
7. What are some of the reasons why Shen Fu doesn't seem to think it's fair that he should have misfortune in his life?
8. What did Shen Fu's mother say when she found out the Yun was writing letters which were supposed to be from her to Yun's father in law?
9. What does Shen Fu think the manicured gardens of the neighborhood do for the gods?
10. Why wasn't it a good idea to feed the novice at the monastery, according to Shen Fu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shen Fu believes his wife feels everything so intensely in her life, which is what causes her to have a bleeding disorder.
Part 1: Why do you think that Shen Fu is so concerned about his wife?
Part 2: How do you think Shen Fu should help his wife with her condition?
Part 3: Do you think that a physical disorder can be caused by mental despair?
Essay Topic 2
Shen Fu holds close his memories of childhood as he tries to describe the simplest pleasures in his life as he grows up.
Part 1: Why do you think childhood memories are so important to Shen Fu in the telling of his story?
Part 2: Do you think it's important to look back at the past when you are living in the present day?
Part 3: How do you think focusing on one's past might be detrimental to one's present and to one's future?
Essay Topic 3
In his gardens, Shen Fu would create the illusions of other landscapes, with the use of rocks and plants.
Part 1: What is the value of creating illusions in one's life?
Part 2: Do you think that Shen Fu might have been trying to tell others in the world something about himself through his gardens?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond if you were to see one of Shen Fu's gardens?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)