|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Shen Fu and Yun do if they were unable to pay for their expenses, though this did not work for long?
2. Everywhere that Shen Fu has gone, he has gone while ____________ others, he realizes when he is writing.
3. The gravekeeper made a soup out of __________, which looked like pears when they were dug up from the ground.
4. How long did it take for Shen Fu's father to realize what had happened with Yun and to ask them to come home?
5. The _______ Garden was an area which boasted only a few disorderly piles of stones, according to Shen Fu.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons why Shen Fu doesn't seem to think it's fair that he should have misfortune in his life?
2. Why are the visits that Shen Fu makes with his friend during a more special time than any other time?
3. What happened at Chungwen Academy when Shen Fu is a boy, according to his writings?
4. Why was Yun cast out of the house, according to the writings of Shen Fu?
5. What are the two mountains Shen Fu can see when he accepts the position from the magistrate at the age of 25?
6. What does Shen Fu have to say about the differences between impressions of seeing a place?
7. What did Shen Fu's mother say when she found out the Yun was writing letters which were supposed to be from her to Yun's father in law?
8. What does Shen Fu seem to think about the presence of Hsi-erh in his life when Yun is away?
9. Why wasn't it a good idea to feed the novice at the monastery, according to Shen Fu?
10. What is the question Shen Fu begins this section of the book with, according to the content?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, Shen Fu feels guilty for having more fun blowing up bamboo than seeing the historical sites in the area.
Part 1: Do you think it's important to visit all of the historical sites in an area?
Part 2: Why do you think Shen Fu feels guilty for wanting to do something else?
Part 3: How do you think he might have been able to balance other activities with exploring history as well?
Essay Topic 2
Shen Fu asks the question right from the start - why do misfortunes come - setting up the tone for the third section.
Part 1: Why do you think this question is important for Shen Fu to have answered?
Part 2: How do you feel about the presence of misfortune in your own life?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to avoid misfortune in your life?
Essay Topic 3
Shen Fu holds close his memories of childhood as he tries to describe the simplest pleasures in his life as he grows up.
Part 1: Why do you think childhood memories are so important to Shen Fu in the telling of his story?
Part 2: Do you think it's important to look back at the past when you are living in the present day?
Part 3: How do you think focusing on one's past might be detrimental to one's present and to one's future?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)