|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If there is a tall stand and shorter stands are spread around it, with the ones in the back being tall and the ones in the front being short, it is called a beautiful pile of _______, by some people.
2. The ___________ were one of the members of the yamen staff who were able to actually support themselves on their salaries.
3. Flowers, according to Shen Fu, should rise __________ from the mouth of the vase in one mass, not crowded in any one area.
4. The secretaries were not considered to be a part of the government and they were paid out of _____________, not the larger accounts.
5. The goal of many of Shen Fu's arrangement techniques is to make the plant look as though it had been grown from the _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What else did Yun teach herself to do, according to the description from Shen Fu in the story?
2. What happens with the family as a result of the incident which Shen Fu has to deal when when he is a child?
3. What happened to destroy the work that Shen Fu and Yun did on their yard?
4. What doesn't Shen Fu understand about other couples since he and Yun's relationship is so different from the others?
5. What does Yun do when she is separated from Shen Fu while he is off training in order to be a government official?
6. What it the task which Wan Tsai-chang completed, which makes him the only person that Shen Fu knows to have done such a thing?
7. Why are Shen Fu's failings described as falling into the category of provision for his family?
8. What is the job that Shen Fu takes on within the government, as a result of his education?
9. What are some of the things which Shen Fu describes in relation to the placement of rocks?
10. What does Shen Fu's education prepare him to be, which is a disappointment to his family as the reader learns in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shen Fu decides that even with his educational background that he wants to do something different, something his family sees as being beneath him.
Part 1: Why do you think Shen Fu decided to do something for which he was vastly overqualified?
Part 2: Do you think it's right to take on a job in which you are not challenged?
Part 3: How do you think your family would feel if you took on a job which was far below your skill set?
Essay Topic 2
Shen Fu seems to have a love affair with the plants he grows from seeds into full plants, loving them as much as a person.
Part 1: Why do you think Shen Fu connected so strongly to the growth of plants?
Part 2: What might be the metaphor for the way that Shen Fu loved and cared for his plants?
Part 3: Do you think that you could be someone who loved to take care of plants?
Essay Topic 3
Shen Fu's best friend dies when they are very young, and Shen Fu always misses him as a result.
Part 1: Do you think it's harder to lose a friend when you are older or younger?
Part 2: How do you think you will feel if you lose a friend today versus when you are older?
Part 3: Why do you think Shen Fu is still so attached to his friend, even though he died many years before?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)