|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Shen Fu pay money to in order to have him come with Shen Fu and Yun the next day to cook for them?
2. What is the name of a person the Chinese culture who was a lover, but her sexual favors were not necessarily for sale?
3. Han-yuan is the __________ girl of whom Yun has become quite fond during some times together.
4. The Chinese administrative practice was that a person could not be a magistrate in __________________.
5. What was the favorite flower of Shen Fu during this part of the book, at least?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the things that Shen Fu and Yun discuss when they do the Pavilion together?
2. How does Shen Fu describe the cleverness of Yun when he talks about her life and her upbringing?
3. What does Yun do when she is separated from Shen Fu while he is off training in order to be a government official?
4. While it's not clear whether all of the transcripts will be found, what does the introduction say about the translation and what it is meant to do?
5. What it the task which Wan Tsai-chang completed, which makes him the only person that Shen Fu knows to have done such a thing?
6. What does Shen Fu think that people with modest homes should try to do with their homes and their arrangements?
7. What did Yun's family laugh at her for which made her sheepish in the days leading up to her wedding with Shen Yu?
8. What does Shen Fu imagine the bug is when he is observing it out in nature, according to the book?
9. What is the job that Shen Fu takes on within the government, as a result of his education?
10. What are some of the things which Shen Fu describes in relation to the placement of rocks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shen Fu decides that even with his educational background that he wants to do something different, something his family sees as being beneath him.
Part 1: Why do you think Shen Fu decided to do something for which he was vastly overqualified?
Part 2: Do you think it's right to take on a job in which you are not challenged?
Part 3: How do you think your family would feel if you took on a job which was far below your skill set?
Essay Topic 2
Yun is cast out of the house after she tries to make good in a situation.
Part 1: Why do you think Yun is always cast as being a bad person in Shen Fu's family?
Part 2: How do you think you might respond if someone cast you out of your family?
Part 3: Do you think that Yun is a bad person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Shen Fu holds close his memories of childhood as he tries to describe the simplest pleasures in his life as he grows up.
Part 1: Why do you think childhood memories are so important to Shen Fu in the telling of his story?
Part 2: Do you think it's important to look back at the past when you are living in the present day?
Part 3: How do you think focusing on one's past might be detrimental to one's present and to one's future?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)