|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The proper training of a ______ takes at least thirty to forty years, and Shen Fu notes he has only known one man to achieve this task.
2. Who prepared almost every single document that the magistrate would see during their daily work?
3. During the later part of what century was Shen Fu born, according to the introduction of the book?
4. What was the highest position to which Shen Fu rose in the story, a lower position, though Shen Fu was content in it?
5. The Chinese administrative practice was that a person could not be a magistrate in __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yun do when she is separated from Shen Fu while he is off training in order to be a government official?
2. What is the interesting way that Shen Fu and Yun want to be reincarnated when they are born again in their next life?
3. What is the advice that Yun gives to Shen Fu about painting insects as a part of his artistic endeavors?
4. What is the gift from a friend that Shen Fu receives when he is younger, which causes him to go into a lot of detail?
5. What are the things that Shen Fu and Yun discuss when they do the Pavilion together?
6. What happens in the incident with the earthworm and Shen Fu when he is a child?
7. What is the therapy that Shen Fu receives for his most unfortunate injury, according to the book?
8. How does Shen Fu describe the cleverness of Yun when he talks about her life and her upbringing?
9. What else did Yun teach herself to do, according to the description from Shen Fu in the story?
10. Why does Shen Fu take up so much time talking about the arrangement of pots and cases? What is he trying to do for the plants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Shen Fu and Yun decided they wanted to entertain their friends, they would not spend a lot of money on food, but they would use that saved money to buy wine instead.
Part 1: What do you think of the choices that Shen Fu and Yun make in order to entertain their friends?
Part 2: Why do you think Shen Fu and Yun feel it is important to always have wine when they are entertaining?
Part 3: How would you feel if you were a guest of Shen Fu and Yun?
Essay Topic 2
This book ends without a real ending, as it is merely a collection of stories, though the endings have not been uncovered yet.
Part 1: How does it feel to have a story without a clear ending?
Part 2: Do you think the story still entertains a reader, even if it's not complete?
Part 3: How do you feel about the way the book is structured? Is it a true memoir, in your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Shen Fu considers himself to be a lucky person since he has been able to travel to far off places during his life.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for a person to travel away from home?
Part 2: Do you like to travel to new places? What has been your favorite experience?
Part 3: How do you think a person changes when they are able to experience new things in their life?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)