|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was very common in Chinese cultures until just recently, though this did not necessarily happen with Shen Fu and Yun?
2. Who prepared almost every single document that the magistrate would see during their daily work?
3. When trees and flowers are planted for the first time, it doesn't matter if they are planted ______________.
4. What does Yun point out does NOT happen when an insect dies, so she suggests Shen Fu study this?
5. The bedroom that Shen Fu and Yun share is called - "The Pavilion of My Guest's _______________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shen Fu tells his parents about Yun when they meet as cousins when he is thirteen-years-old?
2. What happens with the family as a result of the incident which Shen Fu has to deal when when he is a child?
3. What does Shen Fu describe doing when he was a child when he was lying on the grass?
4. What are three things which Shen Fu gives instructions on when he is talking about plants and caring for plants?
5. While it's not clear whether all of the transcripts will be found, what does the introduction say about the translation and what it is meant to do?
6. What else did Yun teach herself to do, according to the description from Shen Fu in the story?
7. What does Yun do when she is separated from Shen Fu while he is off training in order to be a government official?
8. What happens in the incident with the earthworm and Shen Fu when he is a child?
9. What is the advice that Yun gives to Shen Fu about painting insects as a part of his artistic endeavors?
10. What is the gift from a friend that Shen Fu receives when he is younger, which causes him to go into a lot of detail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Shen Fu and Yun decided they wanted to entertain their friends, they would not spend a lot of money on food, but they would use that saved money to buy wine instead.
Part 1: What do you think of the choices that Shen Fu and Yun make in order to entertain their friends?
Part 2: Why do you think Shen Fu and Yun feel it is important to always have wine when they are entertaining?
Part 3: How would you feel if you were a guest of Shen Fu and Yun?
Essay Topic 2
In his gardens, Shen Fu would create the illusions of other landscapes, with the use of rocks and plants.
Part 1: What is the value of creating illusions in one's life?
Part 2: Do you think that Shen Fu might have been trying to tell others in the world something about himself through his gardens?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond if you were to see one of Shen Fu's gardens?
Essay Topic 3
Shen Fu and Yun talk about their gratitude for their happiness, giving thanks to Tien Sun for the joy in their life.
Part 1: Do you feel that you are grateful for the happiness you have in your own life?
Part 2: How do you celebrate the happiness you have in the world around you?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to celebrate the happiness in your life? Or isn't it?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)