|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poor scholars who live in crowded houses should imitate the sterns of Taiping ___________ of Shen Fu's home country.
2. What flower did Shen Fu like to put into a vase instead of growing them in pots during the fall months?
3. Han-yuan is the __________ girl of whom Yun has become quite fond during some times together.
4. The training that Shen Fu receives when he was growing up was to prepare him for a position as a scholar-________________.
5. What did Madam Hua have the girls learn from Yun when they were at this location in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Shen Fu's failings described as falling into the category of provision for his family?
2. Why does the teacher send Shen Fu home in order to write his compositions for school, according to the book?
3. What happened to destroy the work that Shen Fu and Yun did on their yard?
4. What does Shen Fu tells his parents about Yun when they meet as cousins when he is thirteen-years-old?
5. What else did Yun teach herself to do, according to the description from Shen Fu in the story?
6. What is the advice that Yun gives to Shen Fu about painting insects as a part of his artistic endeavors?
7. What is the gift from a friend that Shen Fu receives when he is younger, which causes him to go into a lot of detail?
8. What is the therapy that Shen Fu receives for his most unfortunate injury, according to the book?
9. What does Shen Fu imagine the bug is when he is observing it out in nature, according to the book?
10. What doesn't Shen Fu understand about other couples since he and Yun's relationship is so different from the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Shen Fu and Yun decided they wanted to entertain their friends, they would not spend a lot of money on food, but they would use that saved money to buy wine instead.
Part 1: What do you think of the choices that Shen Fu and Yun make in order to entertain their friends?
Part 2: Why do you think Shen Fu and Yun feel it is important to always have wine when they are entertaining?
Part 3: How would you feel if you were a guest of Shen Fu and Yun?
Essay Topic 2
This book ends without a real ending, as it is merely a collection of stories, though the endings have not been uncovered yet.
Part 1: How does it feel to have a story without a clear ending?
Part 2: Do you think the story still entertains a reader, even if it's not complete?
Part 3: How do you feel about the way the book is structured? Is it a true memoir, in your opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Shen Fu and Yun talk about their gratitude for their happiness, giving thanks to Tien Sun for the joy in their life.
Part 1: Do you feel that you are grateful for the happiness you have in your own life?
Part 2: How do you celebrate the happiness you have in the world around you?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to celebrate the happiness in your life? Or isn't it?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)