|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the County Magistrate which led to Shen Fu's father being moved to Haining?
(b) He died of a disease.
(c) He was impeached.
(d) He was killed.
2. What did Shen Fu's malaria eventually turn into because he did not take good care of himself, according to Shen Fu?
(b) Typhoid fever.
(c) Whooping cough.
3. What would Shen Fu and Yun do if they were unable to pay for their expenses, though this did not work for long?
(b) Pawn possessions.
(c) Get loans.
(d) Donate blood.
4. What does Yun ask the messenger to ask his mistress to send for them two days later?
(c) A boat.
(d) A book.
5. Shen Fu points out the ______ of the Cottage of Tranquility, something he feels is heavenly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Shen Fu give to the man to whom he owned money whenever the man came to collect the debt?
2. While the scent of the flowers overcame much of the dinner, what was the one ingredient which could not be overcome?
3. A monk at the cave invites Shen Fu to see that Ten Thousand Year _____, in the kitchen of a temple.
4. What does the teacher suggest Shen Fu eat in order to balance out the way the soup will impact his body?
5. Shen Fu notes that when he tried to sell paintings from his home, he did not make enough in _________ days to pay the expenses of one.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the visits that Shen Fu makes with his friend during a more special time than any other time?
2. Where do Shen Fu and Yun move to when Yun is cast out of Shen Fu's family house?
3. What was Shen Fu sent to do when he was a boy, according to his writing in this section?
4. Why wasn't it a good idea to feed the novice at the monastery, according to Shen Fu?
5. What happens when the others seem to accuse Shen Fu and Yun of so many things which end up being misunderstandings?
6. What does Feng-sen know when he is sent away for an apprenticeship, though he is never told this?
7. What happened when money began to be tight for Yun and Shen Fu, according to Shen Fu's writings?
8. What are the two mountains Shen Fu can see when he accepts the position from the magistrate at the age of 25?
9. What is Yun's position in the Shen Fu family's house, according to the book and the story?
10. What happens when Shen Fu and his friend Hung-kan decide to climb Han Mountain together?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)