|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A monk at the cave invites Shen Fu to see that Ten Thousand Year _____, in the kitchen of a temple.
2. What was the last meal that Shen Fu and Yun shared before they left on their journey?
(a) Rice porridge.
3. What is the name of the cave where Shen Fu would go with others in order to cool off? _________ Cave.
(a) Purple Cloud.
4. Shen Fu enjoyed the _______ Spring as the waters were clear, the fish were abundant, and the liveliness was a delight.
5. Who agrees with the plan that Shen Fu and Yun have in place, even though it seems strange he would agree to it?
(a) The Westerner.
(b) Shen Fu's mother.
(c) The bank.
(d) Shen Fu's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Yun finds for Shen Fu's father when he makes a request for a companion?
2. The _______ Garden was an area which boasted only a few disorderly piles of stones, according to Shen Fu.
3. Shen Fu points out his father was helpful to marry off other people's daughters and to bring up their _________.
4. The gravekeeper made a soup out of __________, which looked like pears when they were dug up from the ground.
5. When Shen Fu worries about Yun's health, she says, "Life and death are ruled by _______. Do not worry about me."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when money began to be tight for Yun and Shen Fu, according to Shen Fu's writings?
2. What did Shen Fu's mother say when she found out the Yun was writing letters which were supposed to be from her to Yun's father in law?
3. What was Shen Fu sent to do when he was a boy, according to his writing in this section?
4. What happened at Chungwen Academy when Shen Fu is a boy, according to his writings?
5. What does Shen Fu seem to think about the presence of Hsi-erh in his life when Yun is away?
6. What happens to the scent of the food when Shen Fu eats with the Chen family?
7. Why are the visits that Shen Fu makes with his friend during a more special time than any other time?
8. What does Shen Fu think the manicured gardens of the neighborhood do for the gods?
9. Where do Shen Fu and Yun move to when Yun is cast out of Shen Fu's family house?
10. What happens when the others seem to accuse Shen Fu and Yun of so many things which end up being misunderstandings?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)