|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shen Fu reminds the reader of a quote from the ancients: "Lack of ________ in a woman is a virtue."
2. What did Shen Fu and Yun's daughter deny she was feeling, even though it was apparent that she was?
3. The people in the village mistakenly thought the two boys were looking for a ____________ when they said they were looking for land.
(a) New school.
(c) New teacher.
(d) Grave site.
4. Everywhere that Shen Fu has gone, he has gone while ____________ others, he realizes when he is writing.
(a) Hiding from.
(c) Being in debt to.
5. Shen Fu's father did not understand how his son could owe money as they are a house of __________ and caps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Yun say is timid and without much ability, which is why this person should be arranged in marriage now?
2. Shen Fu's father said that since ____________ could write, this person could take over mother's letters for her.
3. Who agrees with the plan that Shen Fu and Yun have in place, even though it seems strange he would agree to it?
4. Shen Fu feels regret for not having visited Orchid Pavilion or Yu's _________ when he was a younger boy.
5. Who was the character that said, "I have lived a hard life, often away from home. I would like someone to live with me and serve me..."?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't it a good idea to feed the novice at the monastery, according to Shen Fu?
2. What are the two mountains Shen Fu can see when he accepts the position from the magistrate at the age of 25?
3. What did Shen Fu's mother say when she found out the Yun was writing letters which were supposed to be from her to Yun's father in law?
4. What does Shen Fu have to say about the differences between impressions of seeing a place?
5. What would happen if Shen Fu and and the others didn't smuggle the girls back out of the apartment without anyone else seeing them?
6. Where do Shen Fu and Yun move to when Yun is cast out of Shen Fu's family house?
7. What happens when Shen Fu and his friend Hung-kan decide to climb Han Mountain together?
8. What is Yun's position in the Shen Fu family's house, according to the book and the story?
9. What happens to the scent of the food when Shen Fu eats with the Chen family?
10. What does Feng-sen know when he is sent away for an apprenticeship, though he is never told this?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)