|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Shen Fu say that he is when he realizes he doesn't want anyone else but Shen Fu?
2. Shen Fu tells the reader to create small scenes as lovely as ________ when adding detail in the pot with flowers and stones.
3. What should a person use to strengthen a plant when the stem begins to fall over, according to Shen Fu's instructions?
4. What does Yun do when Shen Fu is off studying with a friend of his father's, according to the book?
(a) Writes him letters.
(b) Decides to get married.
(c) Takes a seamstress job.
(d) Takes on a lover.
5. Shen Fu reminds the reader of a saying: "Even the ends of ____________ and sawdust have their uses."
Short Answer Questions
1. The training that Shen Fu receives when he was growing up was to prepare him for a position as a scholar-________________.
2. Flowers, according to Shen Fu, should rise __________ from the mouth of the vase in one mass, not crowded in any one area.
3. Shen Fu describes the fact that he was _____________ to take on the position as a secretary, which is not uncommon.
4. What has become a cool and beautiful haven for young lovers in the area of Shen Fu's schooling?
5. What should the roots of a potted tree look like when one is choosing between potted trees to raise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the book become a national favorite for those who read it as the times of the day in China were much different?
2. What did Yun's family laugh at her for which made her sheepish in the days leading up to her wedding with Shen Yu?
3. How would the Pavilion of the Waves' Lotus Lovers' Hall be described, according to the book?
4. What it the task which Wan Tsai-chang completed, which makes him the only person that Shen Fu knows to have done such a thing?
5. While it's not clear whether all of the transcripts will be found, what does the introduction say about the translation and what it is meant to do?
6. What is the interesting way that Shen Fu and Yun want to be reincarnated when they are born again in their next life?
7. What does Shen Fu imagine the bug is when he is observing it out in nature, according to the book?
8. What is the therapy that Shen Fu receives for his most unfortunate injury, according to the book?
9. What is the advice that Yun gives to Shen Fu about painting insects as a part of his artistic endeavors?
10. What are the other two favorite flowers of Shen Fu, which he describes in the story according to the way he arranges them and pots them?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)