|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yun leave for Shen Fu up until the day of their wedding day, something that gets her mocked by others?
2. The secretaries in _________, almost by definition at the time of the book, were failures in their lives, according to the Introduction.
3. Shen Fu reminds the reader of a saying: "Even the ends of ____________ and sawdust have their uses."
4. Shen Fu tells the reader to prune away an excess leaves on a flower in order to make it look spare and ______________.
5. What should the roots of a potted tree look like when one is choosing between potted trees to raise?
(b) Bamboo shoots.
(c) Chicken feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the giant that Shen Fu saw when he was concentrating all of his attention on two insects battling in the grass?
2. The bedroom that Shen Fu and Yun share is called - "The Pavilion of My Guest's _______________."
3. What did Shen Fu use when he didn't have any pieces of stone to put around his narcissi?
4. The Chinese believed their leaders should be _____________ first and bureaucrats second, according to the Introduction.
5. Shen Fu says that he defines frugality as knowing when to save _______________, according to his writings.
Short Essay Questions
1. What doesn't Shen Fu understand about other couples since he and Yun's relationship is so different from the others?
2. How would the Pavilion of the Waves' Lotus Lovers' Hall be described, according to the book?
3. What does Shen Fu tells his parents about Yun when they meet as cousins when he is thirteen-years-old?
4. What are three things which Shen Fu gives instructions on when he is talking about plants and caring for plants?
5. Why was Shen Fu's favorite orchid destroyed, according to the story that Shen Fu is writing?
6. What does Shen Fu's education prepare him to be, which is a disappointment to his family as the reader learns in the story?
7. What did Yun's family laugh at her for which made her sheepish in the days leading up to her wedding with Shen Yu?
8. Why do Shen Fu and Yun want to be reincarnated to be with each other in their next life? What do they hope to achieve?
9. What it the task which Wan Tsai-chang completed, which makes him the only person that Shen Fu knows to have done such a thing?
10. What is the therapy that Shen Fu receives for his most unfortunate injury, according to the book?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)