|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The different categories in the book, according to Shen Fu, all add up to a __________ life in this book.
2. Who did Shen Fu pay money to in order to have him come with Shen Fu and Yun the next day to cook for them?
3. Shen Fu reminds the reader of a saying: "Even the ends of ____________ and sawdust have their uses."
4. What was the prize for the winning master of the game as mentioned in #85?
(a) 10000 cash.
(b) 10 cash.
(c) 5 cash.
(d) 100 cash.
5. Yun believes that having been to the festival, she has not lived a life in ____________, since she has seen such a beautiful pplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shen Fu thinks that when laying out a landscape, it should be a goal to give the feeling of the small in the ______________.
2. The flower arrangements Shen Fu prefers are those which are not stiff or _________ in their appearance.
3. What did the guests write on the painting that Hsing-lan did after he was done with the work?
4. The Lighting of the ___________ is something that Yun wants to attend so badly that she convinces her husband to let her go, dressed as a man.
5. To show the small in the large, one can plant ____________ in a corner as it will grow tall and strong and quickly.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the things that Shen Fu and Yun discuss when they do the Pavilion together?
2. What are the other two favorite flowers of Shen Fu, which he describes in the story according to the way he arranges them and pots them?
3. What are three things which Shen Fu gives instructions on when he is talking about plants and caring for plants?
4. What does Shen Fu's education prepare him to be, which is a disappointment to his family as the reader learns in the story?
5. How does Shen Fu describe the cleverness of Yun when he talks about her life and her upbringing?
6. What does Shen Fu imagine the bug is when he is observing it out in nature, according to the book?
7. What doesn't Shen Fu understand about other couples since he and Yun's relationship is so different from the others?
8. What does Shen Fu describe doing when he was a child when he was lying on the grass?
9. What are some of the things which Shen Fu describes in relation to the placement of rocks?
10. What does Shen Fu try to describe about the potting and the arrangement of flowers?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)