|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Shen Fu's favorite flower doesn't have a __________, the colors are long-lasting and they are easy to prune.
(a) Lot of flowers.
2. Who is Han-yuan sold to, which saddens Yun very much upon finding out this information from another?
(a) The magistrate.
(b) Shen Fu's father.
(c) Business man.
(d) Shen Fu.
3. During the later part of what century was Shen Fu born, according to the introduction of the book?
4. While the secretaries were very powerful, according to the Introduction, they were also very ____________, which caused them to be less respected.
5. What does Shen Fu later think that the battle between the two insects probably was?
(a) A schoolyard fight.
(c) Attempted rape.
(d) A lesson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Shen Fu blow at the mosquitoes when he would let them under the netting as a child?
2. The secretaries were not considered to be a part of the government and they were paid out of _____________, not the larger accounts.
3. What was very common in Chinese cultures until just recently, though this did not necessarily happen with Shen Fu and Yun?
4. What does Yun do when Shen Fu is off studying with a friend of his father's, according to the book?
5. The secretaries in _________, almost by definition at the time of the book, were failures in their lives, according to the Introduction.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three things which Shen Fu gives instructions on when he is talking about plants and caring for plants?
2. What is the interesting way that Shen Fu and Yun want to be reincarnated when they are born again in their next life?
3. Why does Shen Fu take up so much time talking about the arrangement of pots and cases? What is he trying to do for the plants?
4. While it's not clear whether all of the transcripts will be found, what does the introduction say about the translation and what it is meant to do?
5. What happens with the family as a result of the incident which Shen Fu has to deal when when he is a child?
6. What is the gift from a friend that Shen Fu receives when he is younger, which causes him to go into a lot of detail?
7. Why are Shen Fu's failings described as falling into the category of provision for his family?
8. What happens in the incident with the earthworm and Shen Fu when he is a child?
9. Why does the book become a national favorite for those who read it as the times of the day in China were much different?
10. What does Shen Fu try to describe about the potting and the arrangement of flowers?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)