|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The exploding bamboo make so much noise that the ___________ answered, according to Shen Fu.
2. Shen Fu thinks about the countless ________ who since ancient days have been buried without being remembered.
3. Shen Fu notes that he likes to have his own __________ on things and not rely on the ideas of others to cloud his vision.
4. When Shen Fu saw the problems going on around him when he was a government official, he gave up his position to become a _____________.
5. Everywhere that Shen Fu has gone, he has gone while ____________ others, he realizes when he is writing.
(a) Hiding from.
(d) Being in debt to.
6. Yun lets Shen Fu know that she is the ____________ on a loan for Shen Fu's younger brother and needs to pay the loan back.
7. When Yun and Shen Fu's son was twelve years old, he was studying ______ with a teacher.
8. What was Shen Fu afraid that Yun would do during the debacle with the family and the accusations made of her?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Hurt his family.
(c) Run away.
(d) Divorce him.
9. What does Yun say when Shen Fu makes a comment about the figure of another woman? "__________ have good fortune."
(a) Nice people.
(b) Slim people.
(c) Fat people.
(d) Mean people.
10. Who thinks the illness is the result of the young girl that Yun had found for Shen Fu's father?
(a) No one.
(b) Shen Fu.
(c) Shen Fu's father.
(d) Shen Fu's mother.
11. Yun noted that she would rather have Shen Fu's ______ blame her than to have the other relative unhappy with her.
12. What was the name of the girl which Yun had given birth to fourteen years before?
13. Shen Fu points out the ______ of the Cottage of Tranquility, something he feels is heavenly.
14. What did Shen Fu's malaria eventually turn into because he did not take good care of himself, according to Shen Fu?
(a) Typhoid fever.
(d) Whooping cough.
15. Yun was unable to go back to her mother to stay for a while since her mother ___________________.
(a) Was dead.
(b) Was missing.
(c) Did not want her to come home.
(d) Was too ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Shen Fu bite into, even as the others told him not to do so?
2. What didn't Shen Fu and his friend Hsin-yueh do during the course of their friendship, according to Shen Fu?
3. Shen Fu's father wanted to have someone in his home who had the same ____________, according to the book.
4. The elders called in __________ for a performance during a dinner at the house, but Shen Fu and his friend decided to climb Han Mountain instead.
5. Who was about to visit many of the places which Shen Fu has the opportunity to visit in this section of the book?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)