|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was about to visit many of the places which Shen Fu has the opportunity to visit in this section of the book?
(b) Shen Fu's mother.
(c) Shen Fu's father.
2. Who was the character that said, "I have lived a hard life, often away from home. I would like someone to live with me and serve me..."?
(a) Shen Fu's mother.
(b) Shen Fu's father.
(d) Shen Fu.
3. To Shen Fu, the colored ________ were enough to make a person dizzy and the songs and music of the pipes could be overwhelming.
4. During the time of the setting sun when Shen Fu was with others, the ____________ of South Screen Hill were ringing as the sun set.
(a) Bamboo trees.
(b) Temple bells.
5. Jen Village had a flower and ______ festival every twelve years, according to Shen Fu.
6. What did Shen Fu's malaria eventually turn into because he did not take good care of himself, according to Shen Fu?
(a) Whooping cough.
(c) Typhoid fever.
7. How long did it take for Shen Fu's father to realize what had happened with Yun and to ask them to come home?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
8. What happened when Shen Fu went to see his father when his father became ill?
(a) Shen Fu became ill too.
(b) Yun left him.
(c) His father died.
(d) His mother died.
9. Shen Fu feels regret for not having visited Orchid Pavilion or Yu's _________ when he was a younger boy.
10. Shen Fu thinks about the countless ________ who since ancient days have been buried without being remembered.
11. How long does Shen Fu's father give him and Yun to gather their affairs after learning of the money they owe?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two days.
(d) One day.
12. What can Yun and Shen Fu not bring with them when they go to move into the house of Hua?
13. Shen Fu's father wanted to have someone in his home who had the same ____________, according to the book.
14. What was the more offensive name which Shen Fu's family gave to Yun when they were together?
(a) Third woman.
(b) Third wife.
(c) Third lady.
15. What would Shen Fu and Yun do if they were unable to pay for their expenses, though this did not work for long?
(a) Get loans.
(b) Donate blood.
(c) Pawn possessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Yun finds for Shen Fu's father when he makes a request for a companion?
2. The Nine _______ Garden near the South Gate, is the most naturally charming, according to Shen Fu when he is writing.
3. Shen Fu notes that he likes to have his own __________ on things and not rely on the ideas of others to cloud his vision.
4. The famous madam in the area named ________ was also there, dressed up like a flower drum lady.
5. Shen Fu reminds the reader of a quote from the ancients: "Lack of ________ in a woman is a virtue."
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)