|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flower did Shen Fu like to put into a vase instead of growing them in pots during the fall months?
2. In what city was Shen Fu born, according to the introduction of the book?
3. What kind of seeds does Shen Fu suggest being ground off and put into an eggshell which can then be put with other chicken eggs?
(a) Caraway seeds.
(b) Calamus seeds.
(c) Blackberry seeds.
(d) Lotus seeds.
4. What was the sound that Shen Fu associated with cranes flying around in the air when he was a child?
(c) Bamboo stalks.
(d) Tea leaves.
5. What does Yun say that they can bring with them in order to be able to have tea when she and Shen Fu are on an adventure?
(a) Earthenware pot.
(b) Money to buy one.
(c) Their imagination.
6. What was the prize for the winning master of the game as mentioned in #85?
(a) 10 cash.
(b) 5 cash.
(c) 100 cash.
(d) 10000 cash.
7. What is the point of sawing halfway through a stem and inserting a small piece of brick or stone into the cut?
(a) Making a curve.
(b) To make the stem shorter.
(c) There isn't.
(d) To create a tree-like appearance.
8. Shen Fu decided to restore a peasant girl to her family when a man of influence wants to make her a _________.
(c) Second wife.
9. Shen Fu says that he defines frugality as knowing when to save _______________, according to his writings.
10. Who did Shen Fu pay money to in order to have him come with Shen Fu and Yun the next day to cook for them?
11. What does the Old Man arrange, according to the believe system of Shen Fu and Yun, which is why they worship him?
12. Flowers, according to Shen Fu, should rise __________ from the mouth of the vase in one mass, not crowded in any one area.
13. Who prepared almost every single document that the magistrate would see during their daily work?
(d) No one.
14. Who once created a sketch of Shen Fu and Yun in a garden, according to the story?
(a) Yang Pu-fan.
(d) Shen Fu.
15. How many records seem to be missing from the manuscript which has been compiled about Shen Fu's life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last date which can be supported as Shen Fu talked about working on the book at that time?
2. What should the roots of a potted tree look like when one is choosing between potted trees to raise?
3. Shen Fu describes the scene in the garden as being so intoxicating that no one needed to ____________.
4. Shen Fu thinks that when laying out a landscape, it should be a goal to give the feeling of the small in the ______________.
5. While the secretaries were very powerful, according to the Introduction, they were also very ____________, which caused them to be less respected.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)