|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shen Fu and Yun want to _______ themselves in the context of their love when they are reincarnated in their next lives.
2. _______ stories in China are rare, so this might be one of the reasons why this book became so popular with the readers of the time.
3. Shen Fu decided to restore a peasant girl to her family when a man of influence wants to make her a _________.
(b) Second wife.
4. Yun believes that having been to the festival, she has not lived a life in ____________, since she has seen such a beautiful pplace.
5. The flower arrangements Shen Fu prefers are those which are not stiff or _________ in their appearance.
6. What is the other name for the scrotum that is referenced in the first part of this section, as Shen Fu has an accident?
7. What was very common in Chinese cultures until just recently, though this did not necessarily happen with Shen Fu and Yun?
(a) Partnership, not marriage.
(b) Loving relationships first.
(c) Marriage in childhood.
(d) Arranged marriages.
8. To show the small in the large, one can plant ____________ in a corner as it will grow tall and strong and quickly.
9. When trees and flowers are planted for the first time, it doesn't matter if they are planted ______________.
(b) At an angle.
(c) In springtime.
(d) In winter.
10. What is the relationship between Yun and Shen Fu when they first meet during their lives?
11. What does Shen Fu say should be different in height, but they should also be in proportion to each other so there is an attractive relationship between them?
12. The secretaries in _________, almost by definition at the time of the book, were failures in their lives, according to the Introduction.
13. What should a person use to strengthen a plant when the stem begins to fall over, according to Shen Fu's instructions?
14. The Lighting of the ___________ is something that Yun wants to attend so badly that she convinces her husband to let her go, dressed as a man.
15. The book was recently republished by the People's Literature ______ Society as this book is so well-loved among the readers.
(d) Romance Novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of parties did Shen Fu and Yun hold when they had nothing to do during a long summer?
2. How many records seem to be missing from the manuscript which has been compiled about Shen Fu's life?
3. What was the skill of Lu Pan-fang, a man of many names within this particular section of the book?
4. What does Shen Fu later think that the battle between the two insects probably was?
5. What is the last date which can be supported as Shen Fu talked about working on the book at that time?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)