|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who once created a sketch of Shen Fu and Yun in a garden, according to the story?
(a) Yang Pu-fan.
(b) Shen Fu.
2. The different categories in the book, according to Shen Fu, all add up to a __________ life in this book.
3. What did the guests write on the painting that Hsing-lan did after he was done with the work?
(b) Good luck wishes.
4. What should a person use to strengthen a plant when the stem begins to fall over, according to Shen Fu's instructions?
5. Flowers, according to Shen Fu, should rise __________ from the mouth of the vase in one mass, not crowded in any one area.
6. Shen Fu says there should not be more than ___________ vases arranged on a table, according to his detailed writing.
7. What could Shen Fu have taken on in order to ensure that he was able to pay for the medicine that Yun needed?
(a) Lower status job.
(c) Family loan.
(d) Private job offer.
8. What did Madam Hua have the girls learn from Yun when they were at this location in the story?
9. To show the small in the large, one can plant ____________ in a corner as it will grow tall and strong and quickly.
10. How many records seem to be missing from the manuscript which has been compiled about Shen Fu's life?
11. One of the largest empires in the world was led by men who knew more about the _______ of a thousand years before than about the tax law.
(a) Caste systems.
(d) Family trees.
12. What did Shen Fu try to sell when his wife was ill and they needed to buy her medicine, though this venture was unsuccessful?
13. Poor scholars who live in crowded houses should imitate the sterns of Taiping ___________ of Shen Fu's home country.
14. The secretaries in _________, almost by definition at the time of the book, were failures in their lives, according to the Introduction.
15. What does Yun say that they can bring with them in order to be able to have tea when she and Shen Fu are on an adventure?
(a) Earthenware pot.
(c) Their imagination.
(d) Money to buy one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shen Fu thinks that when laying out a landscape, it should be a goal to give the feeling of the small in the ______________.
2. Shen Fu decided to restore a peasant girl to her family when a man of influence wants to make her a _________.
3. The Chinese believed their leaders should be _____________ first and bureaucrats second, according to the Introduction.
4. In what city was Shen Fu born, according to the introduction of the book?
5. The training that Shen Fu receives when he was growing up was to prepare him for a position as a scholar-________________.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)