|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the project that Yun and Shen Fu are working on is finished, Shen Fu notes that the project has incurred the jealousy of __________.
(b) Their neighbors.
(d) The Emperor.
2. Shen Fu was one who accomplished a great feat in China, becoming ________, without becoming a literatus.
3. Shen Fu describes the scene in the garden as being so intoxicating that no one needed to ____________.
(c) Open their eyes.
4. What does Yun leave for Shen Fu up until the day of their wedding day, something that gets her mocked by others?
5. Who decides that Shen Fu needs to go home in order to complete his examinations during his schooling with with friend of his father's?
(a) Shen Fu's father.
(d) Shen Fu.
6. In what city was Shen Fu born, according to the introduction of the book?
7. The secretaries were not considered to be a part of the government and they were paid out of _____________, not the larger accounts.
(b) Tax loans.
(c) Personal funds.
8. What does Yun say that she will bring with them when they decided to go for an adventure?
(a) Her basket of food.
(b) Small stove.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) A temple.
9. What does Yun point out does NOT happen when an insect dies, so she suggests Shen Fu study this?
(a) They move.
(b) They arrange themselves.
(c) Colors fade.
(d) They breathe.
10. Shen Fu imagines _________ flying through trees and mountains when he is lying the grass as a child.
11. The training that Shen Fu receives when he was growing up was to prepare him for a position as a scholar-________________.
12. What has become a cool and beautiful haven for young lovers in the area of Shen Fu's schooling?
(d) The rock garden.
13. What did Shen Fu use when he didn't have any pieces of stone to put around his narcissi?
14. What does Shen Fu always have on his desk when he was living at home, according to the book?
(a) A stone.
(b) A picture of Yun.
(c) A gardening book.
(d) A vase of flowers.
15. What does Yun suggest that Shen Fu take in order to create a powder which can then fill in the cracks of other stones?
(a) Poorer stones.
(c) Food scraps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should the roots of a potted tree look like when one is choosing between potted trees to raise?
2. What kind of parties did Shen Fu and Yun hold when they had nothing to do during a long summer?
3. What are Shen Fu and Yu living adjacent to when they live near the old woman?
4. What could Shen Fu have taken on in order to ensure that he was able to pay for the medicine that Yun needed?
5. What did the guests write on the painting that Hsing-lan did after he was done with the work?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)