|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The Autumn Garden" first produced for the public?
2. What year did Marthe marry Teck?
3. Who does Nick claim is trying to be genteel?
4. Anise recalls when Fanny went into labor with Sara. What was Fanny doing when labor started?
5. Who does Ben refer to as a drunken crook?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lavinia so upset in Act I of "Another Part of the Forest"?
2. Describe the living room of the Farrelly house in "Watch on the Rhine."
3. What is Teck's proposal to Kurt and then to David and Fanny?
4. What are Kurt's plans in coming to America?
5. What does Oscar want to do with his life?
6. How does the last act of "The Autumn Garden" open?
7. Why did Sara and her family arrive to the Farrelly house earlier than expected?
8. How many children does Sara have, and what are their ages.
9. Where is the location of the Tuckerman home featured in "The Autumn Garden"?
10. What activities are the characters engaging in as Act II of "Watch on the Rhine" opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Little Foxes," thirty-five years have passed since the Civil War, yet it still effects the characters in this play. Analyze the reasons why.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the function of the now deceased Joshua Farrelly on events in "Watch on the Rhine."
Essay Topic 3
"Watch on the Rhine" is the most political of Hellman's plays and reveals her anti-Fascist beliefs. Discuss what Hellman is suggesting about Americans in relation to Fascism and the events that are evolving in Europe at the time.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)