|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did Teck obtain his list of 63 names of people wanted by the Fascists?
2. What game does Fanny enjoy playing with Teck?
3. What does Fanny plan on she and Kurt playing for Babette's birthday party?
4. What was Teck's vocation once?
5. What rank did Isham hold in the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What packages has Marthe brought to the house in Act II of "Watch on the Rhine"?
2. Why is Lavinia so upset in Act I of "Another Part of the Forest"?
3. Lavinia reveals in Act III that God has told her to tell the "awful truth." What is the awful truth that she's referring to?
4. What are Kurt's plans in coming to America?
5. What news is revealed to Kurt in a phone call that Teck learns at the Embassy poker game?
6. Discuss Max from Kurt's perspective.
7. Describe the living room of the Farrelly house in "Watch on the Rhine."
8. What activities are the characters engaging in as Act II of "Watch on the Rhine" opens?
9. Why is Oscar angry at Sam Taylor in "Another Part of the Forest"?
10. What is the description of Kurt that Teck has?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dialogue is the central way in which readers or views learn about characters. Choose a passage from "The Children's Hour" and explain how it helped you better understand a specific character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characterization of women that author Hellman uses in each of the six plays. How does the vividness of the lead female characters compare to that of the male characters?
Essay Topic 3
Homosexuality is a theme in two of the plays. Identify which plays and compare how Hellman uses homosexuality in the plot.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)