|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is told that she can skip church in "The Autumn Garden"?
2. Which of the characters in "Watch on the Rhine" is the reader told is 63 years old?
3. Who tells Sara to tie the sash of her dress?
4. Where will Sara and her family be arriving, and what is the expected time?
5. Where does Fanny keep household cash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Constance doing and how is she dressed when Act II of "The Autumn Garden" begins?
2. What is the description of Kurt that Teck has?
3. What is Teck's proposal to Kurt and then to David and Fanny?
4. Discuss Max from Kurt's perspective.
5. What does Oscar want to do with his life?
6. Where is the location of the Tuckerman home featured in "The Autumn Garden"?
7. What are Kurt's plans in coming to America?
8. What activities are the characters engaging in as Act II of "Watch on the Rhine" opens?
9. What is the scene when the curtain rises in Act II of "Another Part of the Forest"?
10. Why did Sara and her family arrive to the Farrelly house earlier than expected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Homosexuality is a theme in two of the plays. Identify which plays and compare how Hellman uses homosexuality in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
When plays are performed, they are critiqued by drama critics. Choose one of the plays and describe as a drama critic might whether or not the play was worth reading (or watching). Why did Hellman write this particular play and what meaning was she trying to communicate?
Essay Topic 3
Change is a big part of literature, whether it's a short story, a novel, or a play. Always, a character must change. Explain why this is necessary, giving examples from Lillian Hellman's "Six Plays" to support your statements.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)