|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Marcus get for a little bag of salt during the war?
2. Which of the characters in "Watch on the Rhine" is the reader told is 63 years old?
3. According to David, what flies open for Anise?
4. Whose portrait is hanging in the living room of the Farrelly home?
5. Who does Mrs. Ellis refer to as the President of the Anglo Saxon gossip club?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the details of Ben's blackmailing of his father?
2. What activities are the characters engaging in as Act II of "Watch on the Rhine" opens?
3. What happens in the last scene of "The Autumn Garden"?
4. Why is Oscar angry at Sam Taylor in "Another Part of the Forest"?
5. What are Kurt's plans in coming to America?
6. What is the description of Kurt that Teck has?
7. How does the last act of "The Autumn Garden" open?
8. What action does Kurt take against Teck in Act III of "Watch on the Rhone" for the cause?
9. What is Teck's proposal to Kurt and then to David and Fanny?
10. What news is revealed to Kurt in a phone call that Teck learns at the Embassy poker game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the six plays and discuss its symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
The need for power or control is an important theme dominant in these six plays. Choose two plays and compare and contrast the theme of power and control in the plays.
Essay Topic 3
Change is a big part of literature, whether it's a short story, a novel, or a play. Always, a character must change. Explain why this is necessary, giving examples from Lillian Hellman's "Six Plays" to support your statements.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)