|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship is Frederick to Mary Ellis?
2. What does Laurette call Oscar?
3. What drink is being consumed at the beginning of Act II in "Another Part of the Forest"?
4. In "Watch on the Rhine," who says that "all Fascists are not of one mind, one stripe"?
5. Which of the characters in "Watch on the Rhine" is the reader told is 63 years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many children does Sara have, and what are their ages.
2. What is Constance doing and how is she dressed when Act II of "The Autumn Garden" begins?
3. What situation has Rose so upset in Act I of "The Autumn Garden"?
4. Lavinia reveals in Act III that God has told her to tell the "awful truth." What is the awful truth that she's referring to?
5. Why did Sara and her family arrive to the Farrelly house earlier than expected?
6. What news is revealed to Kurt in a phone call that Teck learns at the Embassy poker game?
7. What does Oscar want to do with his life?
8. Where is the location of the Tuckerman home featured in "The Autumn Garden"?
9. What are Kurt's plans in coming to America?
10. What packages has Marthe brought to the house in Act II of "Watch on the Rhine"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Autumn Garden" presents the themes of fear and the pain of loneliness. Analyze this and discuss other plays in which the theme of dealing with fear and loneliness is present.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role of Greek culture presented in "Another Part of the Forest."
Essay Topic 3
When plays are performed, they are critiqued by drama critics. Choose one of the plays and describe as a drama critic might whether or not the play was worth reading (or watching). Why did Hellman write this particular play and what meaning was she trying to communicate?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)