|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Watch on the Rhine," who says, "Man has learned to make man comfortable"?
2. When was the main part of the Hubbard house in "Another Part of the Forest" built?
3. Who is Miss Sincee?
4. What is the name of the outlaw radio station in Europe in "Watch on the Rhine"?
5. Who does Nick claim is trying to be genteel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the last act of "The Autumn Garden" open?
2. What does Oscar want to do with his life?
3. Why is Oscar angry at Sam Taylor in "Another Part of the Forest"?
4. Lavinia reveals in Act III that God has told her to tell the "awful truth." What is the awful truth that she's referring to?
5. Describe Sara's appearance in Act I of "Watch on the Rhine."
6. What situation has Rose so upset in Act I of "The Autumn Garden"?
7. What is the scene when the curtain rises in Act II of "Another Part of the Forest"?
8. What activities are the characters engaging in as Act II of "Watch on the Rhine" opens?
9. Where is the location of the Tuckerman home featured in "The Autumn Garden"?
10. How many children does Sara have, and what are their ages.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When plays are performed, they are critiqued by drama critics. Choose one of the plays and describe as a drama critic might whether or not the play was worth reading (or watching). Why did Hellman write this particular play and what meaning was she trying to communicate?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the six plays by Lillian Hellman and analyze it. Explain the theme, plot, and characterization of that play.
Essay Topic 3
Gossip is an issue in both "The Children's Hour" and "The Autumn Garden." Discuss the power and effects of gossip as presented in these plays.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)