|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does Sara confess to not liking?
2. When was the main part of the Hubbard house in "Another Part of the Forest" built?
3. What ship were the Ellis family planning to sail to Europe on?
4. Who does Lavinia think that her daughter looks like when she doesn't frown?
5. Who does Constance receive gossip from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Oscar angry at Sam Taylor in "Another Part of the Forest"?
2. What packages has Marthe brought to the house in Act II of "Watch on the Rhine"?
3. What happens in the last scene of "The Autumn Garden"?
4. Describe Sara's appearance in Act I of "Watch on the Rhine."
5. Lavinia reveals in Act III that God has told her to tell the "awful truth." What is the awful truth that she's referring to?
6. What is Teck's proposal to Kurt and then to David and Fanny?
7. What does Oscar want to do with his life?
8. Where is the location of the Tuckerman home featured in "The Autumn Garden"?
9. What is the description of Kurt that Teck has?
10. What activities are the characters engaging in as Act II of "Watch on the Rhine" opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When plays are performed, they are critiqued by drama critics. Choose one of the plays and describe as a drama critic might whether or not the play was worth reading (or watching). Why did Hellman write this particular play and what meaning was she trying to communicate?
Essay Topic 2
Homosexuality is a theme in two of the plays. Identify which plays and compare how Hellman uses homosexuality in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characterization of women that author Hellman uses in each of the six plays. How does the vividness of the lead female characters compare to that of the male characters?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)