|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "How could he miss them if he never looks at them?"
2. Where does Joe want to move with Karen and Martha?
3. According to Mr. Marshall, Chicago will be at whose feet?
4. Who is described in Act I of "The Children's Hour" as nervous and high-strung?
5. Who states, "When the hawks descend, you've got to feed 'em"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karen break off her engagement with Joe?
2. Why is Lavinia so upset in Act I of "Another Part of the Forest"?
3. Describe the Wright-Dobie School for Girls.
4. Where is the location of the Tuckerman home featured in "The Autumn Garden"?
5. According to Andrew, what is Julie's punishment for leaving?
6. What situation has Rose so upset in Act I of "The Autumn Garden"?
7. What happens to Martha after she admits her love to Karen?
8. What causes Rosalie to become hysterical in Act II of "The Children's Hour"?
9. What is Teck's proposal to Kurt and then to David and Fanny?
10. According to Cal, what is Leo's reaction about finding out that Horace has the safety deposit box?
Essay Topic 1
"Watch on the Rhine" is the most political of Hellman's plays and reveals her anti-Fascist beliefs. Discuss what Hellman is suggesting about Americans in relation to Fascism and the events that are evolving in Europe at the time.
Essay Topic 2
Homosexuality is a theme in two of the plays. Identify which plays and compare how Hellman uses homosexuality in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the function of the now deceased Joshua Farrelly on events in "Watch on the Rhine."
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)