|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Karen and Martha worked to save money to buy the farm and start the school?
2. What does Karen do in Act III to show that she doesn't want to listen to Martha anymore?
3. Where does Joe want to move with Karen and Martha?
4. Who says in "The Children's Hour" Act II, "It's not nice to frighten people by pretending to be sick when you aren't"?
5. What is the name of the company that the Hubbard siblings want to invest in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the details of Ben's blackmailing of his father?
2. Describe the Giddens living room in "The Little Foxes."
3. Describe the Wright-Dobie School for Girls.
4. How does Mrs. Tilford find out that she was wrong to accuse Karen and Martha?
5. Why is Oscar angry at Sam Taylor in "Another Part of the Forest"?
6. What does Oscar think about shooting for sport?
7. What is the scene when the curtain rises in Act II of "Another Part of the Forest"?
8. What plan does Regina come up with to bring Horace home?
9. "The Children's Hour" was author Lillian Hellman's first play. Who did she dedicate it to?
10. According to Leo, what is in Horace's safety deposit box?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of Greek culture presented in "Another Part of the Forest."
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the six plays and discuss its symbolism.
Essay Topic 3
"Watch on the Rhine" is the most political of Hellman's plays and reveals her anti-Fascist beliefs. Discuss what Hellman is suggesting about Americans in relation to Fascism and the events that are evolving in Europe at the time.
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)