|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Days to Come" take place?
2. Where has Cora been having her breakfast for thirty years?
3. Who is the town's judge in "Days to Come"?
4. Who claims to have "always been lucky"?
5. How long had Karen and Martha worked to save money to buy the farm and start the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Martha believe that Karen is letting the school "go to hell"?
2. Julie talks about "it stopped a little while ago." What is she referring to?
3. According to Leo, what is in Horace's safety deposit box?
4. Why does Karen break off her engagement with Joe?
5. Describe the Wright-Dobie School for Girls.
6. According to Andrew, what is Julie's punishment for leaving?
7. What does Horace tell Regina he is doing about the stolen bonds and the inheritances he will leave?
8. What is Horace and Regina's relationship like?
9. Describe Firth in the third act of "Days to Come."
10. What happens with the students at the school in Act II of "The Children's Hour"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Autumn Garden" presents the themes of fear and the pain of loneliness. Analyze this and discuss other plays in which the theme of dealing with fear and loneliness is present.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characterization of women that author Hellman uses in each of the six plays. How does the vividness of the lead female characters compare to that of the male characters?
Essay Topic 3
Gossip is an issue in both "The Children's Hour" and "The Autumn Garden." Discuss the power and effects of gossip as presented in these plays.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)