|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Act II take place in relation to Act I in "The Little Foxes"?
2. Who told Julie that Leo Whalen likes to walk along the river?
3. Who did Birdie's mother get an autograph from?
4. Who is the author of the work that Peggy is reading out loud in Act I of "The Children's Hour"?
5. What does Julie admit to regarding Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lucy observed downtown in the morning in "Days to Come"?
2. What are the details of Ben's blackmailing of his father?
3. Lavinia reveals in Act III that God has told her to tell the "awful truth." What is the awful truth that she's referring to?
4. How is Leo Whalen described in "Days to Come"?
5. Describe the Rodman living room in "Days to Come."
6. What is Teck's proposal to Kurt and then to David and Fanny?
7. Why is Oscar angry at Sam Taylor in "Another Part of the Forest"?
8. Why did Oscar marry Birdie? Did he ever love her?
9. Describe Sara's appearance in Act I of "Watch on the Rhine."
10. What does Regina want in exchange for the bonds, and what will she do if she doesn't get it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Little Foxes" and "Another Part of the Forest" use the same main cast of characters at different times in their lives. Compare the two plays.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's use of stage directions affect your understanding of the plays.
Essay Topic 3
When plays are performed, they are critiqued by drama critics. Choose one of the plays and describe as a drama critic might whether or not the play was worth reading (or watching). Why did Hellman write this particular play and what meaning was she trying to communicate?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)