|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has told Horace not to drink much coffee?
2. How long was Horace gone?
3. Who claims to have saved Delia Lampert's life in Buffalo?
4. Who is the judge for the case involving Karen and Martha?
5. What does Regina send back at breakfast time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Oscar marry Birdie? Did he ever love her?
2. According to Andrew, what is Julie's punishment for leaving?
3. What causes Rosalie to become hysterical in Act II of "The Children's Hour"?
4. Who tells Mrs. Tilford that Mary is a strange and bad girl and why?
5. Why is Whalen trying to keep the laborers from fighting with the strike breakers?
6. What is Horace and Regina's relationship like?
7. What did Lucy observed downtown in the morning in "Days to Come"?
8. Julie talks about "it stopped a little while ago." What is she referring to?
9. Why does Martha believe that Karen is letting the school "go to hell"?
10. What does the staging information for the beginning of Act III in "Days to Come" reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the setting in terms of the era of "The Children's Hour" shows the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
In "Another Part of the Forest," Lavinia is obsessed with atoning for her sin. What is her sin? Does any other character feel the need for atonement or is atonement forced upon a character?
Essay Topic 3
"Watch on the Rhine" is the most political of Hellman's plays and reveals her anti-Fascist beliefs. Discuss what Hellman is suggesting about Americans in relation to Fascism and the events that are evolving in Europe at the time.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)