|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Karen and Martha worked to save money to buy the farm and start the school?
2. What did Birdie's mother used to give her elderberry wine for when she was young?
3. According to Mr. Marshall, Chicago will be at whose feet?
4. Who does Mary demand money from at the end of Act I of "The Children's Hour"?
5. Who claims to have saved Delia Lampert's life in Buffalo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Julie says she's been searching for during her conversation with Whalen.
2. What does Martha realize after learning that Joe and Karen broke up?
3. How does Mrs. Tilford find out that she was wrong to accuse Karen and Martha?
4. According to Andrew, what is Julie's punishment for leaving?
5. Describe Firth in the third act of "Days to Come."
6. What causes Rosalie to become hysterical in Act II of "The Children's Hour"?
7. How does Wilkie talk Julie out of telling her husband the truth about Whalen's whereabouts when the murder takes place?
8. Why did Oscar marry Birdie? Did he ever love her?
9. What does Oscar think about shooting for sport?
10. Describe the Wright-Dobie School for Girls.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characterization of women that author Hellman uses in each of the six plays. How does the vividness of the lead female characters compare to that of the male characters?
Essay Topic 2
Julie in "Days to Come" is a character who seems to be searching for meaning in her life. She tells Whalen that she's been busy find out about herself. Discuss what Julie is looking for and what she has found out about her self and her desires.
Essay Topic 3
When plays are performed, they are critiqued by drama critics. Choose one of the plays and describe as a drama critic might whether or not the play was worth reading (or watching). Why did Hellman write this particular play and what meaning was she trying to communicate?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)