|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Alexandra go by with members of her family?
2. Who claims to have "always been lucky"?
3. What does Regina send back at breakfast time?
4. Who says, "You ain't born in the South unless you're a fool"?
5. Where has Karen seen the flowers that are in the vase that Mary is holding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karen break off her engagement with Joe?
2. Julie talks about "it stopped a little while ago." What is she referring to?
3. In "The Little Foxes," Birdie cries out at the end of Act I. What reason does she give Alexandra, and what really happened?
4. What happens with the students at the school in Act II of "The Children's Hour"?
5. Why did Oscar marry Birdie? Did he ever love her?
6. What is Horace and Regina's relationship like?
7. Explain what Julie says she's been searching for during her conversation with Whalen.
8. According to Andrew, what is Julie's punishment for leaving?
9. What did Lucy observed downtown in the morning in "Days to Come"?
10. What does Regina want in exchange for the bonds, and what will she do if she doesn't get it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The need for power or control is an important theme dominant in these six plays. Choose two plays and compare and contrast the theme of power and control in the plays.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Little Foxes," thirty-five years have passed since the Civil War, yet it still effects the characters in this play. Analyze the reasons why.
Essay Topic 3
"Watch on the Rhine" is the most political of Hellman's plays and reveals her anti-Fascist beliefs. Discuss what Hellman is suggesting about Americans in relation to Fascism and the events that are evolving in Europe at the time.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)