|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "You ain't born in the South unless you're a fool"?
2. Who throws the knife at whom in Act I of "Days to Come"?
3. Who speaks of funny noises coming from Karen Wright's room?
4. Who is the blind man that Wilkie talks of nursing along?
5. What time is it supposed to be when Act III of "Days to Come" begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the staging information for the beginning of Act III in "Days to Come" reveal?
2. What does Horace tell Regina he is doing about the stolen bonds and the inheritances he will leave?
3. What plan does Regina come up with to bring Horace home?
4. Who is Lily Mortar?
5. According to Andrew, what is Julie's punishment for leaving?
6. What happens to Martha after she admits her love to Karen?
7. What is the importance of the keyhole in Mary's story?
8. When Act II of "The Little Foxes" begins, Addie appears worried. What is she worried about?
9. Why does Martha believe that Karen is letting the school "go to hell"?
10. How is Leo Whalen described in "Days to Come"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gossip is an issue in both "The Children's Hour" and "The Autumn Garden." Discuss the power and effects of gossip as presented in these plays.
Essay Topic 2
When plays are performed, they are critiqued by drama critics. Choose one of the plays and describe as a drama critic might whether or not the play was worth reading (or watching). Why did Hellman write this particular play and what meaning was she trying to communicate?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the setting in terms of the era of "The Children's Hour" shows the theme of the play.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)