|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Cora been having her breakfast for thirty years?
2. What did Birdie's mother used to give her elderberry wine for when she was young?
3. Where does Act III of "The Children's Hour" take place?
4. According to Birdie, where is her music album located?
5. Who claims to have saved Delia Lampert's life in Buffalo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karen break off her engagement with Joe?
2. According to Leo, what is in Horace's safety deposit box?
3. How is Leo Whalen described in "Days to Come"?
4. How does Mrs. Tilford find out that she was wrong to accuse Karen and Martha?
5. What does Oscar think about shooting for sport?
6. What causes Rosalie to become hysterical in Act II of "The Children's Hour"?
7. Who is Lily Mortar?
8. What is Horace and Regina's relationship like?
9. Why did Oscar marry Birdie? Did he ever love her?
10. When Act II of "The Little Foxes" begins, Addie appears worried. What is she worried about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Change is a big part of literature, whether it's a short story, a novel, or a play. Always, a character must change. Explain why this is necessary, giving examples from Lillian Hellman's "Six Plays" to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Little Foxes," thirty-five years have passed since the Civil War, yet it still effects the characters in this play. Analyze the reasons why.
Essay Topic 3
Homosexuality is a theme in two of the plays. Identify which plays and compare how Hellman uses homosexuality in the plot.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)