|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shivers and makes a fire in the fireplace in Act III of "The Children's Hour," perhaps for just for something to do?
2. What two friends can't come to an agreement in Act I of "Days to Come"?
3. Who tells Andrew, "we want this thing finished" in Act II of "Days to Come"?
4. Wilkies says that he likes to eat big in the mornings, like who?
5. What are the last words spoken in "Days to Come"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Wright-Dobie School for Girls.
2. In "The Little Foxes," Birdie cries out at the end of Act I. What reason does she give Alexandra, and what really happened?
3. Who tells Mrs. Tilford that Mary is a strange and bad girl and why?
4. Why does Mossie kill Easter?
5. Who is Lily Mortar?
6. Explain what Julie says she's been searching for during her conversation with Whalen.
7. According to Leo, what is in Horace's safety deposit box?
8. Why did Oscar marry Birdie? Did he ever love her?
9. What does Martha realize after learning that Joe and Karen broke up?
10. Why does Karen break off her engagement with Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dialogue is the central way in which readers or views learn about characters. Choose a passage from "The Children's Hour" and explain how it helped you better understand a specific character.
Essay Topic 2
Change is a big part of literature, whether it's a short story, a novel, or a play. Always, a character must change. Explain why this is necessary, giving examples from Lillian Hellman's "Six Plays" to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the six plays by Lillian Hellman and analyze it. Explain the theme, plot, and characterization of that play.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)