|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Whalen supposed to become, according to his mother?
2. Who will stay at the Rodman house, allegedly for protecting the Rodman family?
3. Which student arrives at the Tilden's to stay with Mary in Act II of "The Children's Hour"?
4. Who is killed in Act III of "Days to Come"?
5. Two people utter the phrase, "and that's where I've got to quit" in the first act of "Days to Come." Who are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Tilford find out that she was wrong to accuse Karen and Martha?
2. Describe the Wright-Dobie School for Girls.
3. How is Leo Whalen described in "Days to Come"?
4. Who is Lily Mortar?
5. What does Oscar think about shooting for sport?
6. What plan does Regina come up with to bring Horace home?
7. Why does everyone want Horace to come home?
8. Who tells Mrs. Tilford that Mary is a strange and bad girl and why?
9. Why does Karen break off her engagement with Joe?
10. According to Andrew, what is Julie's punishment for leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When plays are performed, they are critiqued by drama critics. Choose one of the plays and describe as a drama critic might whether or not the play was worth reading (or watching). Why did Hellman write this particular play and what meaning was she trying to communicate?
Essay Topic 2
Gossip is an issue in both "The Children's Hour" and "The Autumn Garden." Discuss the power and effects of gossip as presented in these plays.
Essay Topic 3
The need for power or control is an important theme dominant in these six plays. Choose two plays and compare and contrast the theme of power and control in the plays.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)