|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Martha talk of sending her aunt?
2. Approximately how old is Addie?
3. Who has told Horace not to drink much coffee?
4. What does Whalen discover in the alley outside of his office?
5. According to Agatha, what's a good remedy for Mary if she's ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Cal, what is Leo's reaction about finding out that Horace has the safety deposit box?
2. Julie talks about "it stopped a little while ago." What is she referring to?
3. Explain what Julie says she's been searching for during her conversation with Whalen.
4. What does Oscar think about shooting for sport?
5. In "The Little Foxes," Birdie cries out at the end of Act I. What reason does she give Alexandra, and what really happened?
6. What plan does Regina come up with to bring Horace home?
7. Why does Martha believe that Karen is letting the school "go to hell"?
8. Why does Mossie kill Easter?
9. What is the importance of the keyhole in Mary's story?
10. Describe the Rodman living room in "Days to Come."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Homosexuality is a theme in two of the plays. Identify which plays and compare how Hellman uses homosexuality in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
"Watch on the Rhine" is the most political of Hellman's plays and reveals her anti-Fascist beliefs. Discuss what Hellman is suggesting about Americans in relation to Fascism and the events that are evolving in Europe at the time.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the function of the now deceased Joshua Farrelly on events in "Watch on the Rhine."
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)