|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the friend Merv and Sara have in common?
2. What does Gorgeous say about her husband's employment in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What compliment does Geoffrey pay to Pfeni during their conversation at the start of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Pfeni say about herself as a daughter during Act 2, Scene 1?
5. On what pretext does Gorgeous send Geoffrey away when he exits Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pfeni closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What sort of emotions does Pfeni seem to exhibit about her work?
3. What does Merv reveal about his wife?
4. How does the unseen character of Sonia fit into Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is the significance of Merv calling Sara by the name Sadie?
6. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What does Sara reveal to Merv in Act 1, Scene 4, about her emotional state?
8. Who do the three sisters toast and why?
9. Why might Sara refuse to sing for Merv?
10. Describe Geoffrey's beliefs about his and Pfeni's work as artists.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each sister is transformed in some way by the events that occur during the course of the play. Discuss each sister in turn, and how she is transformed.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the statue of Shiva, the goddess of rebirth and destruction. Examine Shiva and her symbolism in light of the character changes that Sara undergoes. How is her old life destroyed and a new life and beginning formed? Use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gorgeous. How is she deeper than she might appear at first glance? What truths does she see about her sisters?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)