Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara say about the world Merv thinks they are both from?
2. What is Sara's reaction to Nick's birthday gift to her?
3. How does Merv respond to Sara regarding her assessment of their compatibility the morning after their night together?
4. What does Sara refuse to do for Merv as they exit Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is the subtext or implied by Geoffrey's comment about his friends' lives in Act 2, Scene 1?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the statue of Shiva, the goddess of rebirth and destruction. Examine Shiva and her symbolism in light of the character changes that Sara undergoes. How is her old life destroyed and a new life and beginning formed? Use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Though the play is not a musical, music plays a part. The play opens with the girls' choir, and it closes with a mother and daughter singing. Music is a big part of Geoffrey's life, and listening to records is part of Merv and Sara's courtship. Song and dance is performed more than once in the play. Discuss the role of music in the play and what it represents in various scenes and to various characters.
Essay Topic 3
Middle age is an important element to the play. Pfeni and her sisters are all circling that particular juncture of life. Discuss the importance of the middle age years in relation to the characters. Specifically, discuss Merv's reference to his wife dying just as she was coming into her own. How might that idea (fear of death at middle age) impact the decisions and choices each sister is making?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)