|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Gorgeous tries to leave Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Sara say about Pfeni's career in Act 2, Scene 1, the day after the party?
3. What literary work is referred to in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Pfeni say about herself as a daughter during Act 2, Scene 1?
5. When Sara appears at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, what do the others do, referring to Merv?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Sara refuse to sing for Merv?
2. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What is the significance of Merv calling Sara by the name Sadie?
4. What does Sara reveal to Merv in Act 1, Scene 4, about her emotional state?
5. What does Merv reveal about his wife?
6. How does Gorgeous think her sisters feel about her?
7. Describe Geoffrey's beliefs about his and Pfeni's work as artists.
8. How is Sara closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
9. How does Merv compare Sara to pre-war Jewish women?
10. What is represented by the Yiddish recording Sara plays?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though the play is not a musical, music plays a part. The play opens with the girls' choir, and it closes with a mother and daughter singing. Music is a big part of Geoffrey's life, and listening to records is part of Merv and Sara's courtship. Song and dance is performed more than once in the play. Discuss the role of music in the play and what it represents in various scenes and to various characters.
Essay Topic 2
How are the various characters' identities as Jews important to them?
1) Discuss why someone might turn their back on their identity.
2) Through three characters, show how they either identify or do not identify as Jewish persons.
3) Explore, through your own opinion, whether or not it is important to hold onto your roots.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two objects in the play and describe their role in symbolism. You might choose the tea kettle Sara receives, the statue of Shiva, the Chanel suit, Merv's shirt, or something else. What is symbolized by the object, and what is its role in the play and to the characters?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)