|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the confrontations in Act 2, Scene 1, which sister of the Sisters Rosensweig seems to be the most honest about their lives?
2. What does Sara accuse Gorgeous of in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Gorgeous say she is going to have soon when she leaves Act 2, Scene 1?
4. When Gorgeous enters Act 2, Scene 2, what does she say she is tired of?
5. What does Merv say about Sara's demeanor the morning after their night together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pfeni closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How is Sara closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Merv reveal about his wife?
5. Describe Pfeni and Geoffrey's relationship in Act 2, Scene 1.
6. Explain the two epiphanies Geoffrey has at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2 regarding Pfeni.
7. How does Merv compare Sara to pre-war Jewish women?
8. What sort of emotions does Pfeni seem to exhibit about her work?
9. How does the unseen character of Sonia fit into Act 1, Scene 4?
10. Which sister seems to be the most truthful in Act 2, Scene 1 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Middle age is an important element to the play. Pfeni and her sisters are all circling that particular juncture of life. Discuss the importance of the middle age years in relation to the characters. Specifically, discuss Merv's reference to his wife dying just as she was coming into her own. How might that idea (fear of death at middle age) impact the decisions and choices each sister is making?
Essay Topic 2
Though the play is not a musical, music plays a part. The play opens with the girls' choir, and it closes with a mother and daughter singing. Music is a big part of Geoffrey's life, and listening to records is part of Merv and Sara's courtship. Song and dance is performed more than once in the play. Discuss the role of music in the play and what it represents in various scenes and to various characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gorgeous. How is she deeper than she might appear at first glance? What truths does she see about her sisters?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)