|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second of Geoffrey's realizations about himself in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What does Sara say to Merv about the possibility of a liaison during Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What does Gorgeous first say about their mother in Act 2, Scene 2, after the revelations about the Sisters Rosensweig's relationships?
4. What does Merv say about the circumstances of his wife's death?
5. What do Tess and Sara argue about during Act 1, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Sara refuse to sing for Merv?
2. What truth does Gorgeous speak to Pfeni about Geoffrey?
3. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is spoken about passion?
5. How is Pfeni closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
6. Explain the two epiphanies Geoffrey has at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2 regarding Pfeni.
7. What does Merv reveal about his wife?
8. What is implied by Geoffrey in his scene with Pfeni when he talks of friends dying unfulfilled?
9. What sort of emotions does Pfeni seem to exhibit about her work?
10. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme of familial expectations runs through the play. The character of Rita appears to have had expectations for her daughters. Sara has expectations for Tess that her daughter rebels against. Discuss familial expectations and how those expectations are either fulfilled or altered during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
For many people, birthdays are a time of reflection of their past, their present, and their future. The character of Sara experiences a birthday in the play. Discuss how she is at a major crossroads. Examine her past, her present, and her future at this crossroad.
Essay Topic 3
What is each sister's relationship to the past? Do they embrace it, reject it? Does that change during the course of the play? Examine each sister in turn and her relationship to her own past.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)