|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning after, what does Sara imply about her night with Merv?
2. After their night together, who does Sara say would be a better match for Merv?
3. What literary work is referred to in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How does Merv respond to Sara regarding her assessment of their compatibility the morning after their night together?
5. What does Sara say to Merv about the possibility of a liaison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sara is repeatedly described as "bitter" and "cold" and "hard." Discuss her emotional journey throughout the play. Offer specific examples of her hardness, then her gradual softening. What incidents cause some of the changes along her journey?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of the relationships between mothers and daughters? Though the three sisters' mother, Rita, is unseen in this play, enough hints and revelations are offered that we know a bit about her and her relationship with Pfeni, Gorgeous, and Sara. In addition, Sara and Tess have a relationship very much present in the play.
1) Offer a statement about the relationship between mothers and daughters as depicted in this play.
2) Using the sisters and Tess and Sara, offer evidence for this view of the nature of mothers and daughters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gorgeous. How is she deeper than she might appear at first glance? What truths does she see about her sisters?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)