|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gorgeous say Sara should do in the role each of them play as three sisters?
2. What does Geoffrey say about so many of his friends as he speaks to Pfeni at the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, why does Geoffrey say he was with Pfeni at first?
4. What happens when Gorgeous tries to leave Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Sara do after Merv leaves in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which sister seems to be the most truthful in Act 2, Scene 1 and why?
2. How is Pfeni closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What truth does Gorgeous speak to Pfeni about Geoffrey?
4. How is Sara closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
5. Why might Sara refuse to sing for Merv?
6. What sort of emotions does Pfeni seem to exhibit about her work?
7. Describe Geoffrey's beliefs about his and Pfeni's work as artists.
8. Who do the three sisters toast and why?
9. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two objects in the play and describe their role in symbolism. You might choose the tea kettle Sara receives, the statue of Shiva, the Chanel suit, Merv's shirt, or something else. What is symbolized by the object, and what is its role in the play and to the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the playwright chose to set this play in London, as opposed to New York? What impact does it setting have on the story and on the individual characters?
Essay Topic 3
Middle age is an important element to the play. Pfeni and her sisters are all circling that particular juncture of life. Discuss the importance of the middle age years in relation to the characters. Specifically, discuss Merv's reference to his wife dying just as she was coming into her own. How might that idea (fear of death at middle age) impact the decisions and choices each sister is making?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)