|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gorgeous say she is going to have soon when she leaves Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Sara say to Merv to deflect the difficult conversation they are having the morning after their night together?
3. What does Gorgeous say about her husband's employment in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What compliment does Geoffrey pay to Pfeni during their conversation at the start of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What do Tess and Tom reveal during Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What is represented by the Yiddish recording Sara plays?
3. How does Merv compare Sara to pre-war Jewish women?
4. How does the unseen character of Sonia fit into Act 1, Scene 4?
5. How is Sara closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
6. What sort of emotions does Pfeni seem to exhibit about her work?
7. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is spoken about passion?
8. What truth does Gorgeous speak to Pfeni about Geoffrey?
9. What is the significance of Merv calling Sara by the name Sadie?
10. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Passion--or lack of it--plays a part in the play. Choose two characters and discuss the passion in their life (or lack thereof). Remember that passion can be work or a cause or something other than a relationship. Discuss how (if at all) their passion changes during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Though the play is not a musical, music plays a part. The play opens with the girls' choir, and it closes with a mother and daughter singing. Music is a big part of Geoffrey's life, and listening to records is part of Merv and Sara's courtship. Song and dance is performed more than once in the play. Discuss the role of music in the play and what it represents in various scenes and to various characters.
Essay Topic 3
Each sister is either avoiding a truth in her life or hiding a truth in her life.
1) Discuss each sister in turn.
2) Choose one thing she is either hiding or running from.
3) Discuss the resolution or change that occurs during the course of the play.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)