|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Merv call Sara by when they are left alone during Act 1, Scene 4?
2. What is Geoffrey's post-dinner story about during Act 1, Scene 4?
3. Where do Geoffrey and Pfeni say they have to go when they leave Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What does Sara say about Pfeni's career in Act 2, Scene 1, the day after the party?
5. What does Sara say about her and Merv when she enters Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of emotions does Pfeni seem to exhibit about her work?
2. How is Pfeni closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
3. Describe Pfeni and Geoffrey's relationship in Act 2, Scene 1.
4. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
5. What truth does Gorgeous speak to Pfeni about Geoffrey?
6. How does the unseen character of Sonia fit into Act 1, Scene 4?
7. What does Sara reveal to Merv in Act 1, Scene 4, about her emotional state?
8. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What does Merv reveal about his wife?
10. Which sister seems to be the most truthful in Act 2, Scene 1 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For many people, birthdays are a time of reflection of their past, their present, and their future. The character of Sara experiences a birthday in the play. Discuss how she is at a major crossroads. Examine her past, her present, and her future at this crossroad.
Essay Topic 2
Passion--or lack of it--plays a part in the play. Choose two characters and discuss the passion in their life (or lack thereof). Remember that passion can be work or a cause or something other than a relationship. Discuss how (if at all) their passion changes during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Though the play is not a musical, music plays a part. The play opens with the girls' choir, and it closes with a mother and daughter singing. Music is a big part of Geoffrey's life, and listening to records is part of Merv and Sara's courtship. Song and dance is performed more than once in the play. Discuss the role of music in the play and what it represents in various scenes and to various characters.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)