|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the close of Act 2, Scene 2, what do the sisters say they look forward to talking about in the future over tea?
2. What does Gorgeous say about her husband's employment in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. Why does Geoffrey say he prefers pop music to Shakespeare during the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does Merv say about his feelings for his late wife during Act 1, Scene 4?
5. The morning after, during Act 2, Scene 1, what does Sara imply about her night with Merv?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do the three sisters toast and why?
2. Describe Geoffrey's beliefs about his and Pfeni's work as artists.
3. What might the tea kettle Nick gifts to Sara represent?
4. Which sister seems to be the most truthful in Act 2, Scene 1 and why?
5. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. Explain why Pfeni and Geoffrey were first drawn to each other and crazy about each other when they met.
7. What does Merv reveal about his wife?
8. What truth does Gorgeous speak to Pfeni about Geoffrey?
9. What does Sara reveal to Merv in Act 1, Scene 4, about her emotional state?
10. Describe Pfeni and Geoffrey's relationship in Act 2, Scene 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each sister is either avoiding a truth in her life or hiding a truth in her life.
1) Discuss each sister in turn.
2) Choose one thing she is either hiding or running from.
3) Discuss the resolution or change that occurs during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the statue of Shiva, the goddess of rebirth and destruction. Examine Shiva and her symbolism in light of the character changes that Sara undergoes. How is her old life destroyed and a new life and beginning formed? Use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gorgeous. How is she deeper than she might appear at first glance? What truths does she see about her sisters?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)