|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara say about the world Merv thinks they are both from?
2. What is Sara's reaction to Nick's birthday gift to her?
3. How does Merv respond to Sara regarding her assessment of their compatibility the morning after their night together?
4. What does Sara refuse to do for Merv as they exit Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is the subtext or implied by Geoffrey's comment about his friends' lives in Act 2, Scene 1?
Essay Topic 1
Each sister is either avoiding a truth in her life or hiding a truth in her life.
1) Discuss each sister in turn.
2) Choose one thing she is either hiding or running from.
3) Discuss the resolution or change that occurs during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the playwright chose to set this play in London, as opposed to New York? What impact does the setting have on the story and on the individual characters?
Essay Topic 3
Though the play is not a musical, music plays a part. The play opens with the girls' choir, and it closes with a mother and daughter singing. Music is a big part of Geoffrey's life, and listening to records is part of Merv and Sara's courtship. Song and dance is performed more than once in the play. Discuss the role of music in the play and what it represents in various scenes and to various characters.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)