Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara say about the world Merv thinks they are both from?
2. What is Sara's reaction to Nick's birthday gift to her?
3. How does Merv respond to Sara regarding her assessment of their compatibility the morning after their night together?
4. What does Sara refuse to do for Merv as they exit Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is the subtext or implied by Geoffrey's comment about his friends' lives in Act 2, Scene 1?
Essay Topic 1
Passion--or lack of it--plays a part in the play. Choose two characters and discuss the passion in their life (or lack thereof). Remember that passion can be work or a cause or something other than a relationship. Discuss how (if at all) their passion changes during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the statue of Shiva, the goddess of rebirth and destruction. Examine Shiva and her symbolism in light of the character changes that Sara undergoes. How is her old life destroyed and a new life and beginning formed? Use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Wendy Wasserstein, the playwright, was part of the theatre community in New York, and would, necessarily as part of it, have been affected by the AIDS epidemic and the lost lives of many young men in that community. Discuss the character of Geoffrey. Why do you think Wasserstein chose to write his character in the way she did? What do you think she was saying about the shortness of life itself and the importance of art?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)