|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara say about Pfeni's career in Act 2, Scene 1, the day after the party?
2. Why does Geoffrey say he prefers pop music to Shakespeare during the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Sara say to Merv about the possibility of a liaison during Act 1, Scene 4?
4. On what pretext does Gorgeous send Geoffrey away when he exits Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Merv say about Sara's demeanor the morning after their night together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the unseen character of Sonia fit into Act 1, Scene 4?
2. Who do the three sisters toast and why?
3. Explain why Pfeni and Geoffrey were first drawn to each other and crazy about each other when they met.
4. What does Sara reveal to Merv in Act 1, Scene 4, about her emotional state?
5. How does Gorgeous think her sisters feel about her?
6. What is represented by the Yiddish recording Sara plays?
7. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
8. What sort of emotions does Pfeni seem to exhibit about her work?
9. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Why might Sara refuse to sing for Merv?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is each sister's relationship to the past? Do they embrace it, reject it? Does that change during the course of the play? Examine each sister in turn and her relationship to her own past.
Essay Topic 2
The love lives of all four women (including Tess) is an important element of the play. Discuss each of the women in turn and how their relationship reflects their character and their character's growth.
Essay Topic 3
Each sister is transformed in some way by the events that occur during the course of the play. Discuss each sister in turn, and how she is transformed.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)