|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pfeni carry her belongings in shopping bags?
2. How many times has Sara been married?
3. What play does Pfeni quote from when she and Geoffrey are speaking at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Gorgeous say about their father?
5. What is Tess's school project?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
2. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
3. What is indicated about Tess's political views in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. How does Sara feel about Tess's school project?
5. Describe the character of Merv.
6. What does Sara believe men's perceptions of her are, and how does Merv seem to perceive her?
7. What can be discerned about the sisters' father?
8. What might be said about the relationships between mothers and daughters in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. How does Sara appear to deal with her feelings?
10. What is the Concert of Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Passion--or lack of it--plays a part in the play. Choose two characters and discuss the passion in their life (or lack thereof). Remember that passion can be work or a cause or something other than a relationship. Discuss how (if at all) their passion changes during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of the relationships between mothers and daughters? Though the three sisters' mother, Rita, is unseen in this play, enough hints and revelations are offered that we know a bit about her and her relationship with Pfeni, Gorgeous, and Sara. In addition, Sara and Tess have a relationship very much present in the play.
1) Offer a statement about the relationship between mothers and daughters as depicted in this play.
2) Using the sisters and Tess and Sara, offer evidence for this view of the nature of mothers and daughters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Tess and the nature of each of the following:
1) Adolescent rebellion
3) Familial ties.
In light of these elements, how does Tess change over the course of the play?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)