|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Merv and Geoffrey know each other?
2. What do Geoffrey and Pfeni do to entertain everyone at the party in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Where does Gorgeous live?
4. What have Geoffrey and Pfeni done in honor of Sara's birthday?
5. What does Geoffrey say about Pfeni's appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
2. How does Sara feel about Tess's school project?
3. What is learned about the unseen mother of the three sisters in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about Sara's attitudes toward marriage and how is this revealed?
5. What is Sara's opinion of Geoffrey and Pfeni's relationship, and how is this revealed?
6. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
7. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
8. How does Sara appear to deal with her feelings?
9. Describe the relationship between Geoffrey and Pfeni.
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is each sister's relationship to the past? Do they embrace it, reject it? Does that change during the course of the play? Examine each sister in turn and her relationship to her own past.
Essay Topic 2
Two important play references occur within the play. Chekhov's Three Sisters is one; The Scarlet Pimpernel is the other. Choose one of these other plays and explore its meaning and parallelism to the play at hand.
Essay Topic 3
Middle age is an important element to the play. Pfeni and her sisters are all circling that particular juncture of life. Discuss the importance of the middle age years in relation to the characters. Specifically, discuss Merv's reference to his wife dying just as she was coming into her own. How might that idea (fear of death at middle age) impact the decisions and choices each sister is making?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)