|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In preparation for the Sabbath ceremony, what does Gorgeous do?
2. What happens to the party as Gorgeous chatters on?
3. What did Sara's surgery prevent her from doing?
4. What do Geoffrey and Pfeni do to entertain everyone at the party in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How does Pfeni exit Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sara appear to feel about her past?
2. What does Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about Sara's attitudes toward marriage and how is this revealed?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
4. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
5. What is the Concert of Europe?
6. Why might Tess being doing her school project at the opening of Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
8. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
9. In Act 1, Scene 3, what can be inferred from Sara's participation--or lack thereof--in the political discussions that occur?
10. What are Sara's relationships like as seen in Act 1, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Middle age is an important element to the play. Pfeni and her sisters are all circling that particular juncture of life. Discuss the importance of the middle age years in relation to the characters. Specifically, discuss Merv's reference to his wife dying just as she was coming into her own. How might that idea (fear of death at middle age) impact the decisions and choices each sister is making?
Essay Topic 2
How are the various characters' identities as Jews important to them?
1) Discuss why someone might turn their back on their identity.
2) Through three characters, show how they either identify or do not identify as Jewish persons.
3) Explore, through your own opinion, whether or not it is important to hold onto your roots.
Essay Topic 3
Two important play references occur within the play. Chekhov's Three Sisters is one; The Scarlet Pimpernel is the other. Choose one of these other plays and explore its meaning and parallelism to the play at hand.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)