|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Geoffrey say about his relationship with Pfeni?
2. How does Sara feel about the Sabbath ceremony?
3. What is Tess's school project?
4. Where does Tom work?
5. According to Geoffrey, he is responsible for educating Pfeni about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do the three sisters toast and why?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
3. What truth does Gorgeous speak to Pfeni about Geoffrey?
4. What is Sara's opinion of Geoffrey and Pfeni's relationship, and how is this revealed?
5. What sort of emotions does Pfeni seem to exhibit about her work?
6. What is represented by Sara's rejection of the statue of Shiva?
7. What are some of the things learned about Sara's surgery and her feelings about it?
8. What is the significance of Merv calling Sara by the name Sadie?
9. Describe the character of Merv.
10. What does Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about Sara's attitudes toward marriage and how is this revealed?
Essay Topic 1
Two important play references occur within the play. Chekhov's Three Sisters is one; The Scarlet Pimpernel is the other. Choose one of these other plays and explore its meaning and parallelism to the play at hand.
Essay Topic 2
For many people, birthdays are a time of reflection of their past, their present, and their future. The character of Sara experiences a birthday in the play. Discuss how she is at a major crossroads. Examine her past, her present, and her future at this crossroad.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Gorgeous. How is she deeper than she might appear at first glance? What truths does she see about her sisters?
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)