Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In preparation for the Sabbath ceremony, what does Gorgeous do?
2. What does Sara tell Pfeni to do after the ceremony and exchange with Gorgeous?
3. What sort of mother did the sisters Rosensweig appear to have?
4. Who joins in the childhood game Sara and Pfeni play?
5. Before Geoffrey met Pfeni, with whom did he live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Pfeni and Geoffrey were first drawn to each other and crazy about each other when they met.
2. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
4. Describe the character of Merv.
5. What is the role of singing in the final scene?
6. Why does Sara want to give Merv the statue of Shiva?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
8. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, Three Sisters, and this one?
9. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
10. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
For many people, birthdays are a time of reflection of their past, their present, and their future. The character of Sara experiences a birthday in the play. Discuss how she is at a major crossroads. Examine her past, her present, and her future at this crossroad.
What is each sister's relationship to the past? Do they embrace it, reject it? Does that change during the course of the play? Examine each sister in turn and her relationship to her own past.
Two important play references occur within the play. Chekhov's Three Sisters is one; The Scarlet Pimpernel is the other. Choose one of these other plays and explore its meaning and parallelism to the play at hand.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)