|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose birthday is to be celebrated?
2. What do Marv and Tess discuss at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What does Geoffrey suddenly remember before he exits Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Which of these is a personality trait of Gorgeous as exhibited in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Why does Sara say Pfeni sounds very "New York"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sara's relationships like as seen in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
3. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, The Sisters, and this one?
4. What are some of the things learned about Sara's surgery and her feelings about it?
5. Describe the relationship between Geoffrey and Pfeni.
6. What is learned about the unseen mother of the three sisters in Act 1, Scene 2?
7. How could the character of Gorgeous be described?
8. What does Sara believe men's perceptions of her are, and how does Merv seem to perceive her?
9. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
10. What do we learn about the time setting of this play in Act 1, Sceen 3, and what indicates that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Tess and the nature of each of the following:
1) Adolescent rebellion
3) Familial ties.
In light of these elements, how does Tess change over the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Gorgeous. How is she deeper than she might appear at first glance? What truths does she see about her sisters?
Essay Topic 3
Each sister is transformed in some way by the events that occur during the course of the play. Discuss each sister in turn, and how she is transformed.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)