|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sara and Nick discuss during the party debate in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Why is Sara critical of Pfeni's career?
3. What is a personality trait of Sara as exhibited in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What delegation is Geoffrey expecting?
5. What is Gorgeous doing in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
3. Describe the character of Merv.
4. How does Merv appear to feel about his Jewishness?
5. How does Sara appear to deal with her feelings?
6. What are some of the things learned about Sara's surgery and her feelings about it?
7. In Act 1, Scene 3, what can be inferred from Sara's participation--or lack thereof--in the political discussions that occur?
8. What is Sara's opinion of Geoffrey and Pfeni's relationship, and how is this revealed?
9. What does Sara believe men's perceptions of her are, and how does Merv seem to perceive her?
10. How does Sara act toward Merv in Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wendy Wasserstein was considered a feminist writer. How are themes of feminism woven throughout this play? Use specific characters and events during the course of the play to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the statue of Shiva, the goddess of rebirth and destruction. Examine Shiva and her symbolism in light of the character changes that Sara undergoes. How is her old life destroyed and a new life and beginning formed? Use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Tess and the nature of each of the following:
1) Adolescent rebellion
3) Familial ties.
In light of these elements, how does Tess change over the course of the play?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)