|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In preparation for the Sabbath ceremony, what does Gorgeous do?
2. What does Sara tell Pfeni to do after the ceremony and exchange with Gorgeous?
3. What sort of mother did the sisters Rosensweig appear to have?
4. Who joins in the childhood game Sara and Pfeni play?
5. Before Geoffrey met Pfeni, with whom did he live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Pfeni and Geoffrey were first drawn to each other and crazy about each other when they met.
2. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
4. Describe the character of Merv.
5. What is the role of singing in the final scene?
6. Why does Sara want to give Merv the statue of Shiva?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
8. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, Three Sisters, and this one?
9. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
10. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Middle age is an important element to the play. Pfeni and her sisters are all circling that particular juncture of life. Discuss the importance of the middle age years in relation to the characters. Specifically, discuss Merv's reference to his wife dying just as she was coming into her own. How might that idea (fear of death at middle age) impact the decisions and choices each sister is making?
Essay Topic 2
A theme of familial expectations runs through the play. The character of Rita appears to have had expectations for her daughters. Sara has expectations for Tess that her daughter rebels against. Discuss familial expectations and how those expectations are either fulfilled or altered during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Each sister is transformed in some way by the events that occur during the course of the play. Discuss each sister in turn, and how she is transformed.
This section contains 1,573 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)