|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pfeni tells a story about their childhood in New York, what does Sara feel she is doing?
2. What does Pfeni tell Gregory about Sara's opinion of their relationship?
3. What does Sara do as a profession?
4. What does Gorgeous say about her current situation in London?
5. What play does Pfeni quote from when she and Geoffrey are speaking at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sara believe men's perceptions of her are, and how does Merv seem to perceive her?
2. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
3. How does Sara appear to feel about her past?
4. How does Sara feel about Tess's school project?
5. What does Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about Sara's attitudes toward marriage and how is this revealed?
6. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
7. In Act 1, Scene 3, what can be inferred from Sara's participation--or lack thereof--in the political discussions that occur?
8. What is the Concert of Europe?
9. What do we learn about the time setting of this play in Act 1, Sceen 3, and what indicates that?
10. What is Sara's opinion of Geoffrey and Pfeni's relationship, and how is this revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For many people, birthdays are a time of reflection of their past, their present, and their future. The character of Sara experiences a birthday in the play. Discuss how she is at a major crossroads. Examine her past, her present, and her future at this crossroad.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Tess and the nature of each of the following:
1) Adolescent rebellion
3) Familial ties.
In light of these elements, how does Tess change over the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Sara is repeatedly described as "bitter" and "cold" and "hard." Discuss her emotional journey throughout the play. Offer specific examples of her hardness, then her gradual softening. What incidents cause some of the changes along her journey?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)