|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sara feel about the Sabbath ceremony?
2. What is happening globally on the night of Sara's party?
3. What do Geoffrey and Pfeni wear when they enter Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What does Sara tell Pfeni to do after the ceremony and exchange with Gorgeous?
5. What does Sara think of Tess's project?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sara appear to feel about her past?
2. Describe the relationship between Geoffrey and Pfeni.
3. How is the advice Pfeni has received from Gorgeous and Sara represented in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What is indicated about Tess's political views in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What do we learn about the time setting of this play in Act 1, Scene 3, and what indicates that?
6. How does Sara feel about Tess's school project?
7. What is represented by Pfeni's traveling with shopping bags and how is this indicated in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. Who do the three sisters toast and why?
9. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
10. What does Sara believe men's perceptions of her are, and how does Merv seem to perceive her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the statue of Shiva, the goddess of rebirth and destruction. Examine Shiva and her symbolism in light of the character changes that Sara undergoes. How is her old life destroyed and a new life and beginning formed? Use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Tess and the nature of each of the following:
1) Adolescent rebellion
3) Familial ties.
In light of these elements, how does Tess change over the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Wendy Wasserstein was considered a feminist writer. How are themes of feminism woven throughout this play? Use specific characters and events during the course of the play to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,609 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)