|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening globally on the night of Sara's party in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Whose side does Merv take in the debate that is occurring at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Why won't Sara allow Tess to move to the United States?
4. What do Merv and Geoffrey do when they first see each other?
5. What childhood game do Pfeni and Sara play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sara appear to deal with her feelings?
2. How could the character of Gorgeous be described?
3. What does Gorgeous appear to be interested in?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
5. What is Sara's opinion of Geoffrey and Pfeni's relationship, and how is this revealed?
6. What might be said about the relationships between mothers and daughters in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
8. Describe the character of Merv.
9. What is learned about the unseen mother of the three sisters in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, The Sisters, and this one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Tess and the nature of each of the following:
1) Adolescent rebellion
3) Familial ties.
In light of these elements, how does Tess change over the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Gorgeous. How is she deeper than she might appear at first glance? What truths does she see about her sisters?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the statue of Shiva, the goddess of rebirth and destruction. Examine Shiva and her symbolism in light of the character changes that Sara undergoes. How is her old life destroyed and a new life and beginning formed? Use specific examples from the play.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)