|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara think of Tess's project?
2. Why does Sara object to Tom and Tess's relationship?
3. What social situation concerns Tess?
4. What happens to the party as Gorgeous chatters on?
5. When Merv invites himself to dinner, what does Sara suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sara appear to deal with her feelings?
2. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What might be said about the relationships between mothers and daughters in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What is learned about the unseen mother of the three sisters in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. How is the advice Pfeni has received from Gorgeous and Sara represented in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. What is indicated about Tess's political views in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. How could the character of Gorgeous be described?
8. Who do the three sisters toast and why?
9. How does Sara act toward Merv in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. What can be discerned about the sisters' father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the playwright chose to set this play in London, as opposed to New York? What impact does the setting have on the story and on the individual characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is each sister's relationship to the past? Do they embrace it, reject it? Does that change during the course of the play? Examine each sister in turn and her relationship to her own past.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two objects in the play and describe their role in symbolism. You might choose the tea kettle Sara receives, the statue of Shiva, the Chanel suit, Merv's shirt, or something else. What is symbolized by the object, and what is its role in the play and to the characters?
This section contains 1,606 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)