|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sara critical of Pfeni's career?
2. Why does Sara object to Tom's and Tess's relationship?
3. At the close of Act 1, Scene 2, Sara makes and announcement. What does Sara say will occur in a half-hour?
4. What is Geoffrey's profession?
5. How does Pfeni exit Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sara appear to deal with her feelings?
2. What is the Concert of Europe?
3. What is learned about the unseen mother of the three sisters in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What can be discerned about the sisters' father?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
6. How does Sara appear to feel about her past?
7. How could the character of Gorgeous be described?
8. How does Sara act toward Merv in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. How does Merv appear to feel about his Jewishness?
10. What does Gorgeous appear to be interested in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Middle age is an important element to the play. Pfeni and her sisters are all circling that particular juncture of life. Discuss the importance of the middle age years in relation to the characters. Specifically, discuss Merv's reference to his wife dying just as she was coming into her own. How might that idea (fear of death at middle age) impact the decisions and choices each sister is making?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of the relationships between mothers and daughters? Though the three sisters' mother, Rita, is unseen in this play, enough hints and revelations are offered that we know a bit about her and her relationship with Pfeni, Gorgeous, and Sara. In addition, Sara and Tess have a relationship very much present in the play.
1) Offer a statement about the relationship between mothers and daughters as depicted in this play.
2) Using the sisters and Tess and Sara, offer evidence for this view of the nature of mothers and daughters.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two objects in the play and describe their role in symbolism. You might choose the tea kettle Sara receives, the statue of Shiva, the Chanel suit, Merv's shirt, or something else. What is symbolized by the object, and what is its role in the play and to the characters?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)