|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara tell Pfeni to do after the ceremony and exchange with Gorgeous?
2. Gorgeous's husband does not attend the party. What reason is give in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What delegation is Geoffrey expecting?
4. What does Gorgeous do for a living?
5. Why is Sara critical of Pfeni's career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sara's relationships like as seen in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
3. How does Sara act toward Merv in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What do we learn about the time setting of this play in Act 1, Sceen 3, and what indicates that?
5. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
6. Describe the character of Merv.
7. Describe the relationship between Geoffrey and Pfeni.
8. What can be discerned about the sisters' father?
9. What are some of the things learned about Sara's surgery and her feelings about it?
10. How does Sara feel about Tess's school project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of the relationships between mothers and daughters? Though the three sisters' mother, Rita, is unseen in this play, enough hints and revelations are offered that we know a bit about her and her relationship with Pfeni, Gorgeous, and Sara. In addition, Sara and Tess have a relationship very much present in the play.
1) Offer a statement about the relationship between mothers and daughters as depicted in this play.
2) Using the sisters and Tess and Sara, offer evidence for this view of the nature of mothers and daughters.
Essay Topic 2
What is each sister's relationship to the past? Do they embrace it, reject it? Does that change during the course of the play? Examine each sister in turn and her relationship to her own past.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two objects in the play and describe their role in symbolism. You might choose the tea kettle Sara receives, the statue of Shiva, the Chanel suit, Merv's shirt, or something else. What is symbolized by the object, and what is its role in the play and to the characters?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)