Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In preparation for the Sabbath ceremony, what does Gorgeous do?
2. What does Sara tell Pfeni to do after the ceremony and exchange with Gorgeous?
3. What sort of mother did the sisters Rosensweig appear to have?
4. Who joins in the childhood game Sara and Pfeni play?
5. Before Geoffrey met Pfeni, with whom did he live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Pfeni and Geoffrey were first drawn to each other and crazy about each other when they met.
2. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
4. Describe the character of Merv.
5. What is the role of singing in the final scene?
6. Why does Sara want to give Merv the statue of Shiva?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
8. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, Three Sisters, and this one?
9. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
10. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the statue of Shiva, the goddess of rebirth and destruction. Examine Shiva and her symbolism in light of the character changes that Sara undergoes. How is her old life destroyed and a new life and beginning formed? Use specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the playwright chose to set this play in London, as opposed to New York? What impact does the setting have on the story and on the individual characters?
Essay Topic 3
Each sister is either avoiding a truth in her life or hiding a truth in her life.
1) Discuss each sister in turn.
2) Choose one thing she is either hiding or running from.
3) Discuss the resolution or change that occurs during the course of the play.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)