|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In preparation for the Sabbath ceremony, what does Gorgeous do?
2. What does Sara tell Pfeni to do after the ceremony and exchange with Gorgeous?
3. What sort of mother did the sisters Rosensweig appear to have?
4. Who joins in the childhood game Sara and Pfeni play?
5. Before Geoffrey met Pfeni, with whom did he live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Pfeni and Geoffrey were first drawn to each other and crazy about each other when they met.
2. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
4. Describe the character of Merv.
5. What is the role of singing in the final scene?
6. Why does Sara want to give Merv the statue of Shiva?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
8. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, Three Sisters, and this one?
9. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
10. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Each sister is either avoiding a truth in her life or hiding a truth in her life.
1) Discuss each sister in turn.
2) Choose one thing she is either hiding or running from.
3) Discuss the resolution or change that occurs during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
A theme of familial expectations runs through the play. The character of Rita appears to have had expectations for her daughters. Sara has expectations for Tess that her daughter rebels against. Discuss familial expectations and how those expectations are either fulfilled or altered during the course of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Sara is repeatedly described as "bitter" and "cold" and "hard." Discuss her emotional journey throughout the play. Offer specific examples of her hardness, then her gradual softening. What incidents cause some of the changes along her journey?
This section contains 1,573 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)