|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Act 1, Scene 3 opens, what is being served?
2. What does Gorgeous do for a living?
3. What does Gorgeous say about their father?
4. What does Gorgeous search for at the close of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What do Marv and Tess discuss at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sara appear to feel about her past?
2. How does Sara act toward Merv in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Sara believe men's perceptions of her are, and how does Merv seem to perceive her?
4. What is the basis for the political arguments in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What are Sara's relationships like as seen in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Why might Tess being doing her school project at the opening of Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What does Gorgeous appear to be interested in?
8. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, The Sisters, and this one?
9. What is learned about the unseen mother of the three sisters in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. Describe the relationship between Geoffrey and Pfeni.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For many people, birthdays are a time of reflection of their past, their present, and their future. The character of Sara experiences a birthday in the play. Discuss how she is at a major crossroads. Examine her past, her present, and her future at this crossroad.
Essay Topic 2
Each sister is transformed in some way by the events that occur during the course of the play. Discuss each sister in turn, and how she is transformed.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the playwright chose to set this play in London, as opposed to New York? What impact does it setting have on the story and on the individual characters?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)