|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose birthday is to be celebrated?
2. Who joins in the childhood game Sara and Pfeni play?
3. Why does Sara object to Tom's and Tess's relationship?
4. What does Merv do as a profession?
5. What do Marv and Tess discuss at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
2. What is represented by Sara's rejection of the statue of Shiva?
3. Describe the character of Merv.
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, what can be inferred from Sara's participation--or lack thereof--in the political discussions that occur?
5. How does Sara appear to feel about her past?
6. What are some of the things learned about Sara's surgery and her feelings about it?
7. What might be said about the relationships between mothers and daughters in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. What does Gorgeous appear to be interested in?
9. What is represented by Pfeni's traveling with shopping bags and how is this indicated in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the various characters' identities as Jews important to them?
1) Discuss why someone might turn their back on their identity.
2) Through three characters, show how they either identify or do not identify as Jewish persons.
3) Explore, through your own opinion, whether or not it is important to hold onto your roots.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the playwright chose to set this play in London, as opposed to New York? What impact does it setting have on the story and on the individual characters?
Essay Topic 3
The love lives of all four women (including Tess) is an important element of the play. Discuss each of the women in turn and how their relationship reflects their character and their character's growth.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)