|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Tess accuse Sara of living without?
(c) A belief in fairy tales and mythology.
(d) A firm grounding in reality.
2. How does Merv respond to Sara regarding her assessment of their compatibility the morning after their night together?
(a) He says she feels he needs a woman willing to cater to his needs.
(b) He says she thinks he needs someone much more like his wife.
(c) He says she thinks he needs a meek woman.
(d) He says she feels he needs someone more Jewish, more American, and more outspoken.
3. What does Sara confess to Merv as Act 1, Scene 4 draws to a close?
(a) She is a secret donor to the Eastern Europe revolutionaries.
(b) She hates musical theatre.
(c) She has had many affairs over the years.
(d) She is lonely.
4. What does Merv say about the circumstances of his wife's death?
(a) Merv says it occurred just as they were going to depart on an around-the-world trip.
(b) Merv says both he and his wife were in total denial about it up until the very end.
(c) Merv says it was a brutal, drawn-out death over many years.
(d) Merv says it occurred as she was coming into her own as a person.
5. What does Sara say she wants to do with Geoffrey as the two of them discuss their relationship at the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Have a baby.
(b) Settle down.
(c) Write a hit play.
(d) Break up.
Short Answer Questions
1. After revealing how she spent the night, in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Pfeni say about her feelings?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, the sisters Rosensweig confront each other. What does Gorgeous say both sisters think about Gorgeous?
3. When Gorgeous is alone with Pfeni during Act 2, Scene 1, what does she say about Geoffrey?
4. What does Sara refuse to do for Merv as they exit Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What does Sara knock over during Act 1, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is represented by the Yiddish recording Sara plays?
2. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. How does Merv compare Sara to pre-war Jewish women?
4. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Who do the three sisters toast and why?
6. Which sister seems to be the most truthful in Act 2, Scene 1 and why?
7. What is implied by Geoffrey in his scene with Pfeni when he talks of friends dying unfulfilled?
8. What does Merv reveal about his wife?
9. How does the unseen character of Sonia fit into Act 1, Scene 4?
10. Explain the two epiphanies Geoffrey has at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2 regarding Pfeni.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)