|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary work is referred to in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The play Three Sisters.
(b) A novel by the Jewish writer Chaim Potok.
(c) The play Hedda Gabler.
(d) The play Hamlet.
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Tess accuse Sara of living without?
(b) A firm grounding in reality.
(d) A belief in fairy tales and mythology.
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, what is the first of Geoffrey's realizations about himself?
(a) He is angry about his childhood.
(b) He is secretly attracted to Gorgeous.
(c) He is happiest working in the theatre.
(d) He loves leading bus tours.
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, in a humorous story, what is revealed as Rita's advice for getting over a heartache?
(b) Finding a new love.
5. What is Sara's reaction to Nick's gift at the close of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) She throws it away.
(b) She cries.
(c) She sings a song.
(d) She claps her hands with amusement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tess and Sara argue about during Act 1, Scene 4?
2. When Gorgeous is alone with Pfeni during Act 2, Scene 1, what does she say about Geoffrey?
3. What do Sara and Pfeni do to Gorgeous at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Sara say she wants to do with Geoffrey as the two of them discuss their relationship at the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Gorgeous say Sara should do in the role each of them play as three sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merv compare Sara to pre-war Jewish women?
2. What might the tea kettle Nick gifts to Sara represent?
3. What sort of emotions does Pfeni seem to exhibit about her work?
4. Describe Geoffrey's beliefs about his and Pfeni's work as artists.
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is spoken about passion?
6. What does Sara reveal to Merv in Act 1, Scene 4, about her emotional state?
7. What is represented by the Yiddish recording Sara plays?
8. What does Merv reveal about his wife?
9. Explain why Pfeni and Geoffrey were first drawn to each other and crazy about each other when they met.
10. What is implied by Geoffrey in his scene with Pfeni when he talks of friends dying unfulfilled?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)