|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sara say about herself to Merv during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) She was always a feminist, even as a child.
(b) She was always homely.
(c) She was different from all the other girls.
(d) She was always destined to be alone.
2. What do Pfeni and Gorgeous encourage Sara to do in Act 2, Scene 2, as they share a glass of wine?
(a) They encourage her to call Merv.
(b) They encourage her to return to their Jewish roots.
(c) They encourage her to go to a singles' bar.
(d) They encourage her to try to mend her relationship with Tess.
3. What does Sara say she wants to do with Geoffrey as the two of them discuss their relationship at the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Have a baby.
(b) Settle down.
(c) Break up.
(d) Write a hit play.
4. When she knocks the item over, what does she do during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) She laughs and makes a joke about her clumsiness.
(b) She runs from the room.
(c) She straightens it and then continues cleaning.
(d) She cries.
5. What does Sara do after Merv leaves in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) She breaks into a song from Geoffrey's play.
(b) She dances to Frank Sinatra music.
(c) She speaks to the ghost of her mother.
(d) She listens to the choir recording that Tess was listening to at the very beginning of the play.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gorgeous say she is going to have soon when she leaves Act 2, Scene 1?
2. On what pretext does Gorgeous send Geoffrey away when he exits Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Sara knock over during Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What do Sara and Pfeni do to Gorgeous at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What do Tom and Tess say they have to do as they leave Act 1, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sara's response to Merv's compliments in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. How does Merv compare Sara to pre-war Jewish women?
3. Why might Sara refuse to sing for Merv?
4. Explain why Pfeni and Geoffrey were first drawn to each other and crazy about each other when they met.
5. Describe Geoffrey's beliefs about his and Pfeni's work as artists.
6. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
7. What truth does Gorgeous speak to Pfeni about Geoffrey?
8. How does the unseen character of Sonia fit into Act 1, Scene 4?
9. What might the tea kettle Nick gifts to Sara represent?
10. Explain the two epiphanies Geoffrey has at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2 regarding Pfeni.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)