|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Merv respond to Sara regarding her assessment of their compatibility the morning after their night together?
(a) He says she feels he needs someone more Jewish, more American, and more outspoken.
(b) He says she thinks he needs someone much more like his wife.
(c) He says she thinks he needs a meek woman.
(d) He says she feels he needs a woman willing to cater to his needs.
2. What does Sara accuse Gorgeous of in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Acting like their mother.
(b) Acting like a child.
(c) Acting like a foolish gossip.
(d) Acting like a brat.
3. What does Sara refuse to do for Merv as they exit Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Tell a bawdy joke.
(b) Make love.
(c) Make dessert.
4. When the sisters Rosensweig open the wine, what do they toast to?
(a) New beginnings.
(c) Their mother.
5. What does Sara say to Merv about the possibility of a liaison during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) She says she is not lonely enough to sleep with him.
(b) She says she has been attracted to him all along.
(c) She says all her romantic relationships are doomed to failure.
(d) She says he reminds her of her first husband, and not in a good way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Geoffrey and Pfeni say they have to go when they leave Act 1, Scene 4?
2. How does Merv say he knew the friend that he and Sara have in common during Act 1, Scene 4?
3. After revealing how she spent the night, in Act 2, Scene 1, what does Pfeni say about her feelings?
4. What does Pfeni say about herself as a daughter during Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What is the subtext or implied by Geoffrey's comment about his friends' lives in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mood as Act 1, Scene 4 opens.
2. Describe Geoffrey's beliefs about his and Pfeni's work as artists.
3. How is Sara closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How does Merv compare Sara to pre-war Jewish women?
5. Which sister seems to be the most truthful in Act 2, Scene 1 and why?
6. What is represented by the Yiddish recording Sara plays?
7. Explain the two epiphanies Geoffrey has at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2 regarding Pfeni.
8. What does Sara reveal to Merv in Act 1, Scene 4, about her emotional state?
9. Explain why Pfeni and Geoffrey were first drawn to each other and crazy about each other when they met.
10. How is Pfeni closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)