|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Merv call Sara by when they are left alone during Act 1, Scene 4?
(b) Smiling Sara.
2. What question does Merv pose about his wife's death during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Was it fair?
(b) Was it inevitable?
(c) Was it a sign of God's wrath?
(d) Was it preventable?
3. The morning after their night together, to whom does Merv compare Sara?
(a) Jewish women he's seen in photos from pre-war Europe.
(b) His late wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His former lover, Sonia.
4. What does Sara say about herself to Merv during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) She was always homely.
(b) She was always destined to be alone.
(c) She was always a feminist, even as a child.
(d) She was different from all the other girls.
5. What is Sara's reaction to Nick's gift at the close of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) She claps her hands with amusement.
(b) She cries.
(c) She throws it away.
(d) She sings a song.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Sara say about the world Merv thinks they are both from?
2. Why does Geoffrey say he prefers pop music to Shakespeare during the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Sara say about the nickname Merv calls her during Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What does Gorgeous say she is going to have soon when she leaves Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Sara say about Pfeni's career in Act 2, Scene 1, the day after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is represented by the Yiddish recording Sara plays?
2. What truth does Gorgeous speak to Pfeni about Geoffrey?
3. What does Merv reveal about his wife?
4. Describe Geoffrey's beliefs about his and Pfeni's work as artists.
5. How does the unseen character of Sonia fit into Act 1, Scene 4?
6. How is Pfeni closer to her true self after Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What is implied by Geoffrey in his scene with Pfeni when he talks of friends dying unfulfilled?
8. What secrets that Gorgeous has been hiding are revealed in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Who do the three sisters toast and why?
10. Why might Sara refuse to sing for Merv?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)