|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gorgeous say about Sara after their exchange about the ceremony?
(a) She says Sara is a hard woman.
(b) She says Sara misspoke some of the words during the ceremony.
(c) She says Sara is a shining example of a faithful Jew.
(d) She says Sara should lead the ceremony next time.
2. What does Geoffrey say about Pfeni's appearance?
(a) He says she is gorgeous.
(b) He says she should "do something" with her hair.
(c) He says she could stand to lose a few pounds.
(d) He says she is attractive but does not wear clothes that show off her figure.
3. What is a personality trait of Sara as exhibited in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She is very warm.
(b) She makes a lot of jokes.
(c) She does not like to talk about feelings.
(d) She likes to explore how she feels about everything.
4. In preparation for the Sabbath ceremony, what does Gorgeous do?
(a) She kneels down.
(b) She removes her jewelry.
(c) She covers her head.
(d) She makes a sign of the cross.
5. When Pfeni first arrives, she is late. Who or what does she blame that on?
(a) She was distracted by a shopping expedition.
(b) An Indian taxi driver.
(c) A broken watch.
(d) A late train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of mother did the sisters Rosensweig appear to have?
2. What is Nick's reaction to the global situation?
3. Gorgeous's husband does not attend the party. What reason is give in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. How could the amount of time Pfeni and Geoffrey spend together be categorized?
5. What is one of Merv's concerns regarding the discussion at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn about the time setting of this play in Act 1, Sceen 3, and what indicates that?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
3. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
4. How could the character of Gorgeous be described?
5. What is represented by Pfeni's traveling with shopping bags and how is this indicated in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. What are Sara's relationships like as seen in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
8. What are some of the things learned about Sara's surgery and her feelings about it?
9. How does Merv appear to feel about his Jewishness?
10. What is the basis for the political arguments in Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)