|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sara say Pfeni sounds very "New York"?
(a) Pfeni adopts a fake accent.
(b) Pfeni talks about how dissimilar the London "tubes" are compared to New York's subway system.
(c) Pfeni uses a New York slang expression.
(d) Pfeni talks about high fashion.
2. What sort of dinner is Merv hoping for?
(a) Indian cuisine.
(b) A five-course dinner.
(c) A roast.
3. How do the main players in this scene go into dinner at the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) Carrying candles.
(d) In silence.
4. What have Geoffrey and Pfeni done in honor of Sara's birthday?
(a) Written a poem in her honor.
(b) Written a one-act play in her honor.
(c) Had a painting commisssioned in her honor.
(d) Rewritten lyrics in her honor.
5. Why won't Sara allow Tess to move to the United States?
(a) She wants Tess to go to Pais.
(b) She instead plans to move them both to Australia.
(c) She says American universities are declining.
(d) She has a fear of flying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Tom and Tess arguing with at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Gorgeous notice about the time of day near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Pfeni say is her motivation for coming to dinner?
4. What did Sara's surgery prevent her from doing?
5. Why does Sara object to Tom's and Tess's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sara believe men's perceptions of her are, and how does Merv seem to perceive her?
2. Describe the relationship between Geoffrey and Pfeni.
3. How does Sara appear to feel about her past?
4. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, The Sisters, and this one?
5. What does Gorgeous appear to be interested in?
6. What are Sara's relationships like as seen in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
8. What is the basis for the political arguments in Act 1, Scene 3?
9. What is the Concert of Europe?
10. How does Sara feel about Tess's school project?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)