|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sara critical of Pfeni's career?
(a) Sara does not believe women should have careers.
(b) Sara believes Pfeni should have gone into medicine.
(c) Sara feels Pfeni is involved in too many scandals.
(d) Sara says Pfeni is not as successful as she should be.
2. How do the main players in this scene go into dinner at the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) In silence.
(b) Carrying candles.
3. Where does Gorgeous live?
(d) New York City.
4. What does Gorgeous think the Concert of Europe is?
(a) A musical concert.
(b) A political group.
(c) A partitioning of Eastern Europe.
(d) A rock group.
5. What other play is referenced in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Scarlet Pimpernel.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pfeni say is her motivation for coming to dinner?
2. What does Sara think of Tess's project?
3. When Pfeni tells a story about their childhood in New York, what does Sara feel she is doing?
4. What does Geoffrey say about Pfeni's appearance?
5. Why does Pfeni carry her belongings in shopping bags?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis for the political arguments in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Sara believe men's perceptions of her are, and how does Merv seem to perceive her?
3. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, what can be inferred from Sara's participation--or lack thereof--in the political discussions that occur?
5. Describe the relationship between Geoffrey and Pfeni.
6. How does Sara feel about Tess's school project?
7. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, The Sisters, and this one?
8. What does Gorgeous appear to be interested in?
9. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
10. Why might Tess being doing her school project at the opening of Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)