|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What expression does Sara use to express what she expects of Tess?
(a) She should be a "femme fatale."
(b) She should be a "bookworm."
(c) She should be a "woman of substance."
(d) She should be a "nice Jewish girl."
2. Before Geoffrey met Pfeni, with whom did he live?
(a) His boyfriend.
(b) Pfeni's sister, Gorgeous.
(c) Sara's ex-husband.
(d) His mother.
3. Why does Sara object to Tom's and Tess's relationship?
(a) Tom is a revolutionary.
(b) Tom is too possessive of Tess.
(c) Sara thinks Tess is too young to have a boyfriend.
(d) Tom is not American.
4. What does Gorgeous say about her current situation in London?
(a) It is very educational.
(b) It is very exhilierating.
(c) It is very lonely.
(d) It is very tiring.
5. What does Sara say she is grateful for as she makes a brief speech in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Her intellect.
(b) Her family.
(c) Having the good sense to move to England.
(d) Her Jewish heritage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose birthday is to be celebrated?
2. How does Pfeni exit Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What compliment does Merv pay Sara in Act 1, Scene 3's close?
4. What play does Pfeni quote from when she and Geoffrey are speaking at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Sara do as a profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sara's opinion of Geoffrey and Pfeni's relationship, and how is this revealed?
2. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, The Sisters, and this one?
3. How does Sara feel about Tess's school project?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, what are the preparations for the Sabbath?
5. What does Gorgeous appear to be interested in?
6. What is indicated about Tess's political views in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. How does Sara act toward Merv in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. In Act 1, Scene 3, what can be inferred from Sara's participation--or lack thereof--in the political discussions that occur?
9. How does Sara appear to feel about her past?
10. What might be said about the relationships between mothers and daughters in Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)