|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives during the Sabbath ceremony?
(a) Tom and Tess.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) The delegation.
2. Why is Sara critical of Pfeni's career?
(a) Sara believes Pfeni should have gone into medicine.
(b) Sara says Pfeni is not as successful as she should be.
(c) Sara feels Pfeni is involved in too many scandals.
(d) Sara does not believe women should have careers.
3. What does Merv do as a profession?
(a) He is a theater director.
(b) He manufactures statues like the one of Shiva.
(c) He makes wigs for actors.
(d) He manufactures fake fur.
4. What does Sara tell Pfeni to do after the ceremony and exchange with Gorgeous?
(a) She says Pfeni should blow out the candles.
(b) She says Pfeni always starts conflict.
(c) She says Pfeni should say her prayers as well.
(d) She says Pfeni should leave.
5. What would Geoffrey like to do with the delegation?
(a) He would like to take photographs of them for a magazine article.
(b) He would like to form a chorus with them.
(c) He would like to join their cause.
(d) He would like to use their stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is a personality trait of Gorgeous as exhibited in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Why won't Sara allow Tess to move to the United States?
3. What does Gorgeous say about Sara after their exchange about the ceremony?
4. In preparation for the Sabbath ceremony, what does Gorgeous do?
5. Whose birthday is to be celebrated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparisons might be drawn between the Chekhov play, The Sisters, and this one?
2. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
3. Why might Tess being doing her school project at the opening of Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What is Sara's opinion of Geoffrey and Pfeni's relationship, and how is this revealed?
5. What is the Concert of Europe?
6. What does Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about Sara's attitudes toward marriage and how is this revealed?
7. What do we learn about the time setting of this play in Act 1, Sceen 3, and what indicates that?
8. In Act 1, Scene 2, give an example that demonstrates what is revealed about Pfeni's self-image.
9. How does Sara act toward Merv in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. What are Sara's relationships like as seen in Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)