|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What expression does Sara use to express what she expects of Tess?
(a) She should be a "woman of substance."
(b) She should be a "bookworm."
(c) She should be a "femme fatale."
(d) She should be a "nice Jewish girl."
2. How does Sara deflect conversation about social conditions?
(a) She talks about her relationship with Geoffrey.
(b) She talks about Jewish food.
(c) She talks about her latest shopping spree.
(d) She talks about Hong Kong.
3. Why does Sara object to Tom's and Tess's relationship?
(a) Tom is a revolutionary.
(b) Sara thinks Tess is too young to have a boyfriend.
(c) Tom is too possessive of Tess.
(d) Tom is not American.
4. What does Gorgeous notice about the time of day near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) In it time for a late lunch.
(b) It is high noon.
(c) It is nearing sundown.
(d) It is 8:00 p.m. and time for the party.
5. What does the statue of Shiva represent?
(a) Shiva is the goddess of love.
(b) Shiva is the goddess of destruction and renewal.
(c) Shiva is a muse.
(d) Shiva is the goddess of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the party as Gorgeous chatters on?
2. Why does Sara complain to Pfeni about Tess?
3. What is happening globally on the night of Sara's party in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. In preparation for the Sabbath ceremony, what does Gorgeous do?
5. Whose birthday is to be celebrated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might be said about the relationships between mothers and daughters in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. How does Sara appear to deal with her feelings?
3. Describe the character of Merv.
4. What are Sara's relationships like as seen in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, what can be inferred from Sara's participation--or lack thereof--in the political discussions that occur?
6. What is the Concert of Europe?
7. What is represented by Pfeni's traveling with shopping bags and how is this indicated in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. Sara says Pfeni sounds very "New York." What does she mean by that?
9. What does Sara believe men's perceptions of her are, and how does Merv seem to perceive her?
10. What might be inferred about the play or the people in it from the performance from The Scarlet Pimpernel?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)