|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The morning after their night together, to whom does Merv compare Sara?
(a) His late wife.
(b) His sister.
(c) His former lover, Sonia.
(d) Jewish women he's seen in photos from pre-war Europe.
2. What does Gorgeous imply about her marriage in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Her husband may be gay.
(b) Her husband may be hiding his assets.
(c) Her husband may be having an affair.
(d) Her husband may be insane.
3. What does Sara say about the nickname Merv calls her during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) It was the name her first husband called her.
(b) It was the name her mother called her.
(c) It was the name her grandfather called her.
(d) It is a nickname she loathes.
4. Who clears the dinner table at the opening of Act 1, Scene 4?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, what is the first of Geoffrey's realizations about himself?
(a) He loves leading bus tours.
(b) He is happiest working in the theatre.
(c) He is secretly attracted to Gorgeous.
(d) He is angry about his childhood.
6. What literary work is referred to in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The play Three Sisters.
(b) The play Hamlet.
(c) The play Hedda Gabler.
(d) A novel by the Jewish writer Chaim Potok.
7. What is the name of the friend Merv and Sara have in common?
8. Why does Tess want her passport in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) She wants to go on a safari.
(b) She is afraid of identity theft.
(c) Pfeni has inspired her to go to India.
(d) She and Tom are leaving the next day.
9. What happened to Gorgeous's shoe as she explains it in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She lost it on the subway.
(b) She threw it at her husband.
(c) She lost it after a secret tryst.
(d) She got the heel caught in the escalator.
10. What compliment does Geoffrey pay to Pfeni during their conversation at the start of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She is capable of being alone.
(b) She is intelligent.
(c) She knows who she is.
(d) She is beautiful.
11. How does Merv say he knew the friend that he and Sara have in common during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) She was the wife of his rabbi.
(b) They had a long-term affair.
(c) They went to the same synagogue.
(d) They had a one-night stand.
12. Where do Geoffrey and Pfeni say they have to go when they leave Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) A play.
(b) A homeless shelter.
(c) A candlelight vigil.
(d) A meeting.
13. What do Sara and Pfeni do to Gorgeous at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) They berate her for being so focused on material things.
(b) They play a clapping game with her.
(c) They playfully tickle her.
(d) They beg her to move to London.
14. What is the second of Geoffrey's realizations about himself in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) He is more interested in men than women.
(b) He is more interested in being celibate than being with Pfeni.
(c) He wants to be a pop singer.
(d) He is ready to move to New York.
15. What does Sara do when Pfeni takes her hand in Act 2, Scene 1, the morning after the party?
(a) She gives her sister a fierce hug.
(b) She cries.
(c) She breaks into song.
(d) She pulls it away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Geoffrey say he prefers pop music to Shakespeare during the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What do Tess and Sara argue about during Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What does Sara refuse to do for Merv as they exit Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Who is first to comfort Pfeni after her break-up in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, the sisters Rosensweig confront each other. What does Gorgeous say both sisters think about Gorgeous?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)