|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Geoffrey and Pfeni do to entertain everyone at the party in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) They perform a song.
(b) They tell a long joke.
(c) They recite a rhyming poem.
(d) They play charades.
2. What does Merv arrive at the door with?
(a) Gorgeous, the unseen sister.
(b) A birthday cake for the party.
(c) A delivery.
(d) Shopping bags.
3. What is a personality trait of Sara as exhibited in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She likes to explore how she feels about everything.
(b) She does not like to talk about feelings.
(c) She makes a lot of jokes.
(d) She is very warm.
4. Who joins in the childhood game Sara and Pfeni play?
(a) A representation of Shiva.
5. What is one of Merv's concerns regarding the discussion at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Deciphering Nick's accent.
(b) Musical theater is dying.
(c) Whether he has overstayed his welcome.
6. As Act 1, Scene 3 opens, what is being served?
(a) A roast.
(b) An intricate Jewish meal.
7. What does Sara tell Pfeni to do after the ceremony and exchange with Gorgeous?
(a) She says Pfeni should say her prayers as well.
(b) She says Pfeni always starts conflict.
(c) She says Pfeni should leave.
(d) She says Pfeni should blow out the candles.
8. Why does Pfeni carry her belongings in shopping bags?
(a) Pfeni lost her suitcases while she was traveling around the world.
(b) Pfeni's suitcases were stolen.
(c) Pfeni's grandmother said shopping bags were for "crazy people," and she wants to prove her right.
(d) Pfeni's grandmother always carried her things in shopping bags, and Pfeni wants to be just like her.
9. What play does Pfeni quote from when she and Geoffrey are speaking at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) William Shakespeare's Hamlet.
(b) Anton Chekhov's Three Sisters.
(c) Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot.
(d) Anton Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard.
10. Which of these is a personality trait of Gorgeous as exhibited in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She is somber.
(b) She cries a lot.
(c) She is chatty.
(d) She uses extremely big words.
11. Where does Tom work?
(a) In a tea shop.
(b) In a radio equipment store.
(c) In a restaurant frequented by members of the revolutionary party.
(d) In Tess's school.
12. How does Sara feel about the Sabbath ceremony?
(a) She ridicules it.
(b) She says she wishes their mother was there to lead it.
(c) She says Gorgeous is not orthodox enough.
(d) She is very respectful.
13. What happens to the party as Gorgeous chatters on?
(a) The party-goers grow more lively.
(b) The room goes silent.
(c) The party-goers grow irritated with her jokes.
(d) The party divides into those who want to talk to Gorgeous and those who don't.
14. Why doesn't Tess want Nick to come to dinner?
(a) Nick is not a vegetarian.
(b) Nick has poor table manners.
(c) Tess thinks Nick is secretly in love with her.
(d) Tess dislikes Nick's capitalist values.
15. Why is Sara critical of Pfeni's career?
(a) Sara believes Pfeni should have gone into medicine.
(b) Sara does not believe women should have careers.
(c) Sara says Pfeni is not as successful as she should be.
(d) Sara feels Pfeni is involved in too many scandals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the main players in this scene go into dinner at the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Gorgeous notice about the time of day near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Why does Sara object to Tom's and Tess's relationship?
4. What does Geoffrey suddenly remember before he exits Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Gorgeous say about Geoffrey's friends when she first encounters Merv?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)