|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gorgeous think the Concert of Europe is?
(a) A rock group.
(b) A political group.
(c) A partitioning of Eastern Europe.
(d) A musical concert.
2. Why does Sara say Pfeni sounds very "New York"?
(a) Pfeni adopts a fake accent.
(b) Pfeni talks about high fashion.
(c) Pfeni talks about how dissimilar the London "tubes" are compared to New York's subway system.
(d) Pfeni uses a New York slang expression.
3. What does Gorgeous say about Geoffrey's friends when she first encounters Merv?
(a) She says they are all boorish.
(b) She says they all find her attractive.
(c) She says they all like musical theater.
(d) She says they are all Jewish.
4. How does Pfeni exit Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She gets upset and leaves the room sobbing.
(b) She hears Tess calling her and runs in the direction of her voice.
(c) She gathers her shopping bags and leaves in a huff.
(d) She is carried off by Geoffrey.
5. What is one of Merv's concerns regarding the discussion at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Musical theater is dying.
(b) Deciphering Nick's accent.
(c) Whether he has overstayed his welcome.
6. Who are Tom and Tess arguing with at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
7. What do Marv and Tess discuss at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The beautiful Sabbath ceremony.
(b) The Concert for Bangladesh.
(c) The Concert of Europe.
(d) Merv's attrraction to Sara.
8. Why does Sara object to Tom's and Tess's relationship?
(a) Sara thinks Tess is too young to have a boyfriend.
(b) Tom is too possessive of Tess.
(c) Tom is not American.
(d) Tom is a revolutionary.
9. What does Pfeni say is her motivation for coming to dinner?
(a) She wants to return to her Jewish roots.
(b) She has nothing better to do.
(c) She doesn't want Gorgeous to be the only sister who shows up.
(d) She wants to meet Tess's boyfriend.
10. What does Sara say she is grateful for as she makes a brief speech in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Her Jewish heritage.
(b) Having the good sense to move to England.
(c) Her intellect.
(d) Her family.
11. What happens to the party as Gorgeous chatters on?
(a) The party divides into those who want to talk to Gorgeous and those who don't.
(b) The room goes silent.
(c) The party-goers grow irritated with her jokes.
(d) The party-goers grow more lively.
12. What does Geoffrey say about Pfeni's appearance?
(a) He says she could stand to lose a few pounds.
(b) He says she should "do something" with her hair.
(c) He says she is attractive but does not wear clothes that show off her figure.
(d) He says she is gorgeous.
13. Whose birthday is to be celebrated?
14. How does Gorgeous characterize herself?
(a) She says she is quick-witted.
(b) She says she is "winsome."
(c) She says she is "funsy."
(d) She says she is devout.
15. What does Sara say about the prospect of marriage?
(a) She has no intention of marrying.
(b) She thinks she is too old.
(c) She thinks marriage is an archaic institution.
(d) She longs to find someone to spend the rest of her life with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nick's reaction to the global situation?
2. Who joins in the childhood game Sara and Pfeni play?
3. What is Gorgeous doing in London?
4. What is happening globally on the night of Sara's party in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Where was Merv prior to arriving at Sara's house in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)