|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pfeni tell Geoffrey about Sara's opinion of their relationship?
(a) Sara thinks they are a perfect match.
(b) Sara thinks the couple should break up.
(c) Sara thinks it is time for the two of them to finally marry.
(d) Sara thinks they should go to counseling together.
2. When Pfeni first arrives, she is late. Who or what does she blame that on?
(a) She was distracted by a shopping expedition.
(b) An Indian taxi driver.
(c) A late train.
(d) A broken watch.
3. What do Sara and Nick discuss during the party debate in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Nick's attraction toward Gorgeous.
(b) The economic reperscussions of the Concert of Europe.
(c) The plight of displaced Jews.
(d) The beautiful Sabbath ceremony.
4. What does Gorgeous do for a living?
(a) She teaches.
(b) She is an artist,
(c) She hosts a radio call-in show.
(d) She works in musical theater.
5. Who arrives during the Sabbath ceremony?
(a) Tom and Tess.
(b) The delegation.
(d) A rabbi.
6. How does Pfeni exit Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She hears Tess calling her and runs in the direction of her voice.
(b) She gathers her shopping bags and leaves in a huff.
(c) She gets upset and leaves the room sobbing.
(d) She is carried off by Geoffrey.
7. Why is Sara critical of Pfeni's career?
(a) Sara says Pfeni is not as successful as she should be.
(b) Sara believes Pfeni should have gone into medicine.
(c) Sara feels Pfeni is involved in too many scandals.
(d) Sara does not believe women should have careers.
8. What is Tess's school project?
(a) A biography of a famous feminist.
(b) A science fair experiment.
(c) A biography of her mother's early years.
(d) A series of essays on revolutionaries.
9. What sort of mother did the sisters Rosensweig appear to have?
(a) A warm and supportive mother.
(b) An alcoholic mother.
(c) An absent mother.
(d) A critical mother.
10. What does Gorgeous say about Sara after their exchange about the ceremony?
(a) She says Sara is a shining example of a faithful Jew.
(b) She says Sara should lead the ceremony next time.
(c) She says Sara misspoke some of the words during the ceremony.
(d) She says Sara is a hard woman.
11. What does Gorgeous say about her current situation in London?
(a) It is very lonely.
(b) It is very educational.
(c) It is very exhilierating.
(d) It is very tiring.
12. What sort of dinner is Merv hoping for?
(a) Indian cuisine.
(b) A roast.
(c) A five-course dinner.
13. What does Gorgeous think the Concert of Europe is?
(a) A musical concert.
(b) A political group.
(c) A partitioning of Eastern Europe.
(d) A rock group.
14. What does the statue of Shiva represent?
(a) Shiva is the goddess of destruction and renewal.
(b) Shiva is the goddess of love.
(c) Shiva is the goddess of death.
(d) Shiva is a muse.
15. What is one of Merv's concerns regarding the discussion at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) Whether he has overstayed his welcome.
(c) Musical theater is dying.
(d) Deciphering Nick's accent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sara say Pfeni sounds very "New York"?
2. What does Gorgeous say Sara has become?
3. Why doesn't Tess take the statue of Shiva?
4. Who are Tom and Tess arguing with at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What does Gorgeous notice about the time of day near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)