|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gorgeous do for a living?
(a) She is an artist,
(b) She teaches.
(c) She works in musical theater.
(d) She hosts a radio call-in show.
2. What does Gorgeous encourage Sara to do as the two sister discuss Sara's surgery and subsequent events in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) See a psychiatrist.
(b) Travel to India with Pfeni.
(c) Return to America.
(d) Talk about her feelings.
3. What does Geoffrey say about Pfeni's appearance?
(a) He says she should "do something" with her hair.
(b) He says she is gorgeous.
(c) He says she could stand to lose a few pounds.
(d) He says she is attractive but does not wear clothes that show off her figure.
4. What other play is referenced in Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) The Scarlet Pimpernel.
5. What social situation concerns Tess?
(a) People are using drugs.
(b) There are homeless living by the train tracks.
(c) The monarchy in England is corrupt.
(d) The AIDS epidemic is growing.
6. What do Geoffrey and Pfeni wear when they enter Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Disco outfits.
(b) Lounging pajamas.
(d) Formal wear.
7. What does Gorgeous notice about the time of day near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) In it time for a late lunch.
(b) It is high noon.
(c) It is nearing sundown.
(d) It is 8:00 p.m. and time for the party.
8. What does Sara say about the prospect of marriage?
(a) She longs to find someone to spend the rest of her life with.
(b) She thinks she is too old.
(c) She has no intention of marrying.
(d) She thinks marriage is an archaic institution.
9. According to Geoffrey, he is responsible for educating Pfeni about what?
(a) Art and theater.
(c) Jewish history.
(d) Indian mythology.
10. How does Gorgeous characterize herself?
(a) She says she is "winsome."
(b) She says she is quick-witted.
(c) She says she is devout.
(d) She says she is "funsy."
11. Whose birthday is to be celebrated?
12. What do Geoffrey and Pfeni do to entertain everyone at the party in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) They tell a long joke.
(b) They play charades.
(c) They recite a rhyming poem.
(d) They perform a song.
13. What is Tess listening to when Pfeni arrives?
(a) A recording of a women's chorus her mother used to sing with as a young woman.
(b) British punk music.
(c) A song with deep personal meaning to her.
(d) A book on tape.
14. Why won't Sara allow Tess to move to the United States?
(a) She wants Tess to go to Pais.
(b) She says American universities are declining.
(c) She instead plans to move them both to Australia.
(d) She has a fear of flying.
15. Who are Tom and Tess arguing with at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pfeni first arrives, she is late. Who or what does she blame that on?
2. Why doesn't Tess take the statue of Shiva?
3. What would Geoffrey like to do with the delegation?
4. When Pfeni tells a story about their childhood in New York, what does Sara feel she is doing?
5. Where was Merv prior to arriving at Sara's house in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)