|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening globally on the night of Sara's party in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Berlin Wall has fallen.
(b) The Soviet Union is falling.
(c) Israel has declared war on Egypt.
(d) Protests are being held in Hong Kong.
2. Why does Sara complain to Pfeni about Tess?
(a) Sara thinks Tess will try to run away.
(b) Sara would like for Tess to become a famous playwright and Tess is resisting her.
(c) Sara thinks Tess is too frumpy.
(d) Sara says Tess is trying to do everything the opposite of her mother.
3. How do the main players in this scene go into dinner at the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) In silence.
(c) Carrying candles.
4. Before Geoffrey met Pfeni, with whom did he live?
(a) His mother.
(b) Pfeni's sister, Gorgeous.
(c) His boyfriend.
(d) Sara's ex-husband.
5. How does Pfeni exit Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She gathers her shopping bags and leaves in a huff.
(b) She gets upset and leaves the room sobbing.
(c) She is carried off by Geoffrey.
(d) She hears Tess calling her and runs in the direction of her voice.
6. How could the amount of time Pfeni and Geoffrey spend together be categorized?
(a) They spend all of their time together.
(b) They see each other only on their yearly vacation.
(c) They spend much of the time apart.
(d) They have a very specific arrangement to only see each other every other weekend.
7. What does Geoffrey suddenly remember before he exits Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The actual meeting place for the delegation.
(b) Where he put his lost keys.
(c) The present he bought but left at home.
(d) Where he first met Merv.
8. What do Geoffrey and Pfeni wear when they enter Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) Disco outfits.
(c) Formal wear.
(d) Lounging pajamas.
9. Who joins in the childhood game Sara and Pfeni play?
(d) A representation of Shiva.
10. What sort of dinner is Merv hoping for?
(a) A five-course dinner.
(c) A roast.
(d) Indian cuisine.
11. As Act 1, Scene 3 opens, what is being served?
(a) A roast.
(c) An intricate Jewish meal.
12. Why does Sara say Pfeni sounds very "New York"?
(a) Pfeni adopts a fake accent.
(b) Pfeni uses a New York slang expression.
(c) Pfeni talks about how dissimilar the London "tubes" are compared to New York's subway system.
(d) Pfeni talks about high fashion.
13. What does Sara say about the prospect of marriage?
(a) She thinks marriage is an archaic institution.
(b) She longs to find someone to spend the rest of her life with.
(c) She thinks she is too old.
(d) She has no intention of marrying.
14. What play does Pfeni quote from when she and Geoffrey are speaking at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Anton Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard.
(b) Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot.
(c) Anton Chekhov's Three Sisters.
(d) William Shakespeare's Hamlet.
15. Why does Sara reject the statuette?
(a) Sara says she is too old for it.
(b) Sara says it doesn't match her decor.
(c) Sara says it will bring her bad luck.
(d) Sara is superstitious about touching it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Sara allow Tess to move to the United States?
2. What did Sara's surgery prevent her from doing?
3. Which of these is a personality trait of Gorgeous as exhibited in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does the statue of Shiva represent?
5. What is Tess's school project?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)