|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Sara and Nick discuss during the party debate in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The beautiful Sabbath ceremony.
(b) The plight of displaced Jews.
(c) The economic reperscussions of the Concert of Europe.
(d) Nick's attraction toward Gorgeous.
2. How does Sara feel about the Sabbath ceremony?
(a) She says Gorgeous is not orthodox enough.
(b) She ridicules it.
(c) She is very respectful.
(d) She says she wishes their mother was there to lead it.
3. Why doesn't Tess want Nick to come to dinner?
(a) Nick is not a vegetarian.
(b) Tess thinks Nick is secretly in love with her.
(c) Tess dislikes Nick's capitalist values.
(d) Nick has poor table manners.
4. What does Gorgeous notice about the time of day near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is 8:00 p.m. and time for the party.
(b) It is nearing sundown.
(c) In it time for a late lunch.
(d) It is high noon.
5. Whose side does Merv take in the debate that is occurring at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Tom and Tess's side.
(b) Nick's side.
(c) Sara's side.
(d) He does not appear to have an opinion.
6. Gorgeous's husband does not attend the party. What reason is give in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She reveals that he has divorced her.
(b) He is in Hong Kong on business.
(c) He was too busy to travel.
(d) She does not have one.
7. Whose birthday is to be celebrated?
8. What does Geoffrey say about Pfeni's appearance?
(a) He says she should "do something" with her hair.
(b) He says she is attractive but does not wear clothes that show off her figure.
(c) He says she could stand to lose a few pounds.
(d) He says she is gorgeous.
9. When Pfeni first arrives, she is late. Who or what does she blame that on?
(a) A late train.
(b) An Indian taxi driver.
(c) A broken watch.
(d) She was distracted by a shopping expedition.
10. Why is Sara critical of Pfeni's career?
(a) Sara does not believe women should have careers.
(b) Sara believes Pfeni should have gone into medicine.
(c) Sara feels Pfeni is involved in too many scandals.
(d) Sara says Pfeni is not as successful as she should be.
11. What does Merv say about his former wife?
(a) She was unfaithful.
(b) She was a shrew.
(c) She was intimidating.
(d) She was never threatening.
12. Why does Sara reject the statuette?
(a) Sara says it will bring her bad luck.
(b) Sara is superstitious about touching it.
(c) Sara says she is too old for it.
(d) Sara says it doesn't match her decor.
13. Why does Pfeni carry her belongings in shopping bags?
(a) Pfeni lost her suitcases while she was traveling around the world.
(b) Pfeni's grandmother said shopping bags were for "crazy people," and she wants to prove her right.
(c) Pfeni's suitcases were stolen.
(d) Pfeni's grandmother always carried her things in shopping bags, and Pfeni wants to be just like her.
14. How do the main players in this scene go into dinner at the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 3?
(c) Carrying candles.
(d) In silence.
15. What is Tess listening to when Pfeni arrives?
(a) A song with deep personal meaning to her.
(b) British punk music.
(c) A book on tape.
(d) A recording of a women's chorus her mother used to sing with as a young woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gorgeous search for at the close of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What have Geoffrey and Pfeni done in honor of Sara's birthday?
3. As Act 1, Scene 3 opens, what is being served?
4. What play does Pfeni quote from when she and Geoffrey are speaking at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Gorgeous say Sara has become?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)