|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pfeni exit Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She hears Tess calling her and runs in the direction of her voice.
(b) She is carried off by Geoffrey.
(c) She gets upset and leaves the room sobbing.
(d) She gathers her shopping bags and leaves in a huff.
2. What happens to the party as Gorgeous chatters on?
(a) The party divides into those who want to talk to Gorgeous and those who don't.
(b) The party-goers grow more lively.
(c) The room goes silent.
(d) The party-goers grow irritated with her jokes.
3. Why won't Sara allow Tess to move to the United States?
(a) She wants Tess to go to Pais.
(b) She says American universities are declining.
(c) She instead plans to move them both to Australia.
(d) She has a fear of flying.
4. What is one of Merv's concerns regarding the discussion at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Whether he has overstayed his welcome.
(b) Deciphering Nick's accent.
(c) Musical theater is dying.
5. According to Geoffrey, he is responsible for educating Pfeni about what?
(b) Jewish history.
(c) Art and theater.
(d) Indian mythology.
6. Who joins in the childhood game Sara and Pfeni play?
(b) A representation of Shiva.
7. What did Sara's surgery prevent her from doing?
(a) Being at her mother's deathbed.
(b) Being at their father's deathbed.
(c) Being there for Tess when she was having trouble in school.
(d) Being at Gorgeous's wedding.
8. What expression does Sara use to express what she expects of Tess?
(a) She should be a "bookworm."
(b) She should be a "woman of substance."
(c) She should be a "femme fatale."
(d) She should be a "nice Jewish girl."
9. What do Geoffrey and Pfeni do to entertain everyone at the party in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) They recite a rhyming poem.
(b) They tell a long joke.
(c) They perform a song.
(d) They play charades.
10. What social situation concerns Tess?
(a) The AIDS epidemic is growing.
(b) There are homeless living by the train tracks.
(c) The monarchy in England is corrupt.
(d) People are using drugs.
11. What do Marv and Tess discuss at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Concert of Europe.
(b) Merv's attrraction to Sara.
(c) The beautiful Sabbath ceremony.
(d) The Concert for Bangladesh.
12. What does Sara say about the prospect of marriage?
(a) She longs to find someone to spend the rest of her life with.
(b) She thinks she is too old.
(c) She thinks marriage is an archaic institution.
(d) She has no intention of marrying.
13. What does Gorgeous think the Concert of Europe is?
(a) A rock group.
(b) A political group.
(c) A musical concert.
(d) A partitioning of Eastern Europe.
14. What sort of dinner is Merv hoping for?
(a) A roast.
(c) A five-course dinner.
(d) Indian cuisine.
15. What do Merv and Geoffrey do when they first see each other?
(a) They walk to the opposite side of the room to have a private conversation.
(b) They shake hands stiffly.
(c) They kiss each other on both cheeks.
(d) They do a song and dance routine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pfeni say is her motivation for coming to dinner?
2. How do the main players in this scene go into dinner at the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Why does Sara object to Tom's and Tess's relationship?
4. What compliment does Merv pay Sara in Act 1, Scene 3's close?
5. What sort of surgery has Sara had as revealed in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)