|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What expression does Sara use to express what she expects of Tess?
(a) She should be a "bookworm."
(b) She should be a "nice Jewish girl."
(c) She should be a "femme fatale."
(d) She should be a "woman of substance."
2. What does Sara say men usually feel about her?
(a) She is too liberated.
(b) She is attractive.
(c) She is fragile.
(d) She is intimidating.
3. What does Pfeni say is her motivation for coming to dinner?
(a) She has nothing better to do.
(b) She doesn't want Gorgeous to be the only sister who shows up.
(c) She wants to meet Tess's boyfriend.
(d) She wants to return to her Jewish roots.
4. Why does Sara complain to Pfeni about Tess?
(a) Sara thinks Tess will try to run away.
(b) Sara would like for Tess to become a famous playwright and Tess is resisting her.
(c) Sara says Tess is trying to do everything the opposite of her mother.
(d) Sara thinks Tess is too frumpy.
5. What would Geoffrey like to do with the delegation?
(a) He would like to use their stories.
(b) He would like to join their cause.
(c) He would like to form a chorus with them.
(d) He would like to take photographs of them for a magazine article.
6. As Act 1, Scene 3 opens, what is being served?
(c) A roast.
(d) An intricate Jewish meal.
7. What does Sara do as a profession?
(a) She sells real estate in London.
(b) She manages a bank.
(c) She works as a consultant.
(d) She is a researcher.
8. What does Gorgeous encourage Sara to do as the two sister discuss Sara's surgery and subsequent events in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Talk about her feelings.
(b) Travel to India with Pfeni.
(c) See a psychiatrist.
(d) Return to America.
9. What does Geoffrey say about Pfeni's appearance?
(a) He says she should "do something" with her hair.
(b) He says she is gorgeous.
(c) He says she could stand to lose a few pounds.
(d) He says she is attractive but does not wear clothes that show off her figure.
10. What does Gorgeous notice about the time of day near the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) It is 8:00 p.m. and time for the party.
(b) In it time for a late lunch.
(c) It is nearing sundown.
(d) It is high noon.
11. What sort of dinner is Merv hoping for?
(a) A five-course dinner.
(b) A roast.
(c) Indian cuisine.
12. What does Sara tell Pfeni to do after the ceremony and exchange with Gorgeous?
(a) She says Pfeni should say her prayers as well.
(b) She says Pfeni always starts conflict.
(c) She says Pfeni should leave.
(d) She says Pfeni should blow out the candles.
13. How does Pfeni exit Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She gathers her shopping bags and leaves in a huff.
(b) She gets upset and leaves the room sobbing.
(c) She is carried off by Geoffrey.
(d) She hears Tess calling her and runs in the direction of her voice.
14. What play does Pfeni quote from when she and Geoffrey are speaking at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot.
(b) Anton Chekhov's Three Sisters.
(c) William Shakespeare's Hamlet.
(d) Anton Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard.
15. What does the statue of Shiva represent?
(a) Shiva is the goddess of destruction and renewal.
(b) Shiva is the goddess of love.
(c) Shiva is a muse.
(d) Shiva is the goddess of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merv arrive at the door with?
2. How does Sara feel about the Sabbath ceremony?
3. What is Geoffrey's profession?
4. According to Geoffrey, he is responsible for educating Pfeni about what?
5. How do the main players in this scene go into dinner at the conclusion of Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)