|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Sara allow Tess to move to the United States?
(a) She wants Tess to go to Pais.
(b) She says American universities are declining.
(c) She has a fear of flying.
(d) She instead plans to move them both to Australia.
2. What does Sara say she is grateful for as she makes a brief speech in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Having the good sense to move to England.
(b) Her intellect.
(c) Her Jewish heritage.
(d) Her family.
3. Who arrives during the Sabbath ceremony?
(b) Tom and Tess.
(c) The delegation.
(d) A rabbi.
4. How does Gorgeous characterize herself?
(a) She says she is "funsy."
(b) She says she is devout.
(c) She says she is quick-witted.
(d) She says she is "winsome."
5. How could the amount of time Pfeni and Geoffrey spend together be categorized?
(a) They have a very specific arrangement to only see each other every other weekend.
(b) They see each other only on their yearly vacation.
(c) They spend all of their time together.
(d) They spend much of the time apart.
6. What does Gorgeous encourage Sara to do as the two sister discuss Sara's surgery and subsequent events in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Talk about her feelings.
(b) Travel to India with Pfeni.
(c) Return to America.
(d) See a psychiatrist.
7. What do Merv and Geoffrey do when they first see each other?
(a) They do a song and dance routine.
(b) They kiss each other on both cheeks.
(c) They walk to the opposite side of the room to have a private conversation.
(d) They shake hands stiffly.
8. What is Gorgeous doing in London?
(a) She never says.
(b) She is visting a famous Jewish synogogue.
(c) She is leading a bus tour.
(d) She is seeing several plays in London's West End theater district.
9. Whose side does Merv take in the debate that is occurring at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Tom and Tess's side.
(b) Sara's side.
(c) Nick's side.
(d) He does not appear to have an opinion.
10. Why does Sara say Pfeni sounds very "New York"?
(a) Pfeni uses a New York slang expression.
(b) Pfeni adopts a fake accent.
(c) Pfeni talks about how dissimilar the London "tubes" are compared to New York's subway system.
(d) Pfeni talks about high fashion.
11. What is a personality trait of Sara as exhibited in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She likes to explore how she feels about everything.
(b) She does not like to talk about feelings.
(c) She makes a lot of jokes.
(d) She is very warm.
12. What does Gorgeous say about Sara after their exchange about the ceremony?
(a) She says Sara misspoke some of the words during the ceremony.
(b) She says Sara should lead the ceremony next time.
(c) She says Sara is a shining example of a faithful Jew.
(d) She says Sara is a hard woman.
13. What delegation is Geoffrey expecting?
(a) A delegation of foreign dignitaries.
(b) A delegation of homeless people.
(c) A delegation of revolutionaries.
(d) A delegation of American theater owners.
14. What cause do Tom and Tess support?
(a) An artist's movement.
(b) A social revolution in Eastern Europe.
(c) An anti-war manifesto.
(d) Animal rights.
15. Why does Sara object to Tom's and Tess's relationship?
(a) Tom is a revolutionary.
(b) Tom is not American.
(c) Tom is too possessive of Tess.
(d) Sara thinks Tess is too young to have a boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merv arrive at the door with?
2. Why does Sara reject the statuette?
3. Why is Sara critical of Pfeni's career?
4. What is one of Merv's concerns regarding the discussion at the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Why does Pfeni carry her belongings in shopping bags?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)