|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What cause do Tom and Tess support?
(a) Animal rights.
(b) An artist's movement.
(c) An anti-war manifesto.
(d) A social revolution in Eastern Europe.
2. Why doesn't Tess want Nick to come to dinner?
(a) Tess thinks Nick is secretly in love with her.
(b) Nick has poor table manners.
(c) Nick is not a vegetarian.
(d) Tess dislikes Nick's capitalist values.
3. Gorgeous's husband does not attend the party. What reason is give in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) She reveals that he has divorced her.
(b) He was too busy to travel.
(c) She does not have one.
(d) He is in Hong Kong on business.
4. What does Gorgeous say about Geoffrey's friends when she first encounters Merv?
(a) She says they all like musical theater.
(b) She says they are all boorish.
(c) She says they all find her attractive.
(d) She says they are all Jewish.
5. What does Sara say men usually feel about her?
(a) She is too liberated.
(b) She is fragile.
(c) She is attractive.
(d) She is intimidating.
6. What is Nick's reaction to the global situation?
(a) He passionately shouts that they must do something.
(b) He gets teary-eyed.
(c) He wants to write a check to help the cause.
(d) He does not appear to care.
7. What does Sara say about the prospect of marriage?
(a) She thinks she is too old.
(b) She has no intention of marrying.
(c) She thinks marriage is an archaic institution.
(d) She longs to find someone to spend the rest of her life with.
8. What compliment does Merv pay Sara in Act 1, Scene 3's close?
(a) He says she knows how to prepare a good Sabbath meal.
(b) He says she knows how to engage in lively debate.
(c) He says she is very witty.
(d) He says she is extremely intelligent and he finds that attractive.
9. What does Pfeni say is her motivation for coming to dinner?
(a) She doesn't want Gorgeous to be the only sister who shows up.
(b) She wants to meet Tess's boyfriend.
(c) She has nothing better to do.
(d) She wants to return to her Jewish roots.
10. What sort of mother did the sisters Rosensweig appear to have?
(a) A critical mother.
(b) An alcoholic mother.
(c) An absent mother.
(d) A warm and supportive mother.
11. Why doesn't Tess take the statue of Shiva?
(a) Tess is Catholic.
(b) Tess says Sara needs it more than she does.
(c) Tess's boyfriend would disapprove.
(d) Tess is not superstitious.
12. Why won't Sara allow Tess to move to the United States?
(a) She wants Tess to go to Pais.
(b) She says American universities are declining.
(c) She has a fear of flying.
(d) She instead plans to move them both to Australia.
13. What does Gorgeous say about her current situation in London?
(a) It is very educational.
(b) It is very tiring.
(c) It is very exhilierating.
(d) It is very lonely.
14. What expression does Sara use to express what she expects of Tess?
(a) She should be a "nice Jewish girl."
(b) She should be a "woman of substance."
(c) She should be a "bookworm."
(d) She should be a "femme fatale."
15. What is Tess's school project?
(a) A series of essays on revolutionaries.
(b) A science fair experiment.
(c) A biography of her mother's early years.
(d) A biography of a famous feminist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gorgeous doing in London?
2. What do Geoffrey and Pfeni wear when they enter Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What is Tess listening to when Pfeni arrives?
4. How could the amount of time Pfeni and Geoffrey spend together be categorized?
5. What does the statue of Shiva represent?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)