Act 1, Scene 1
1. What is Tess listening to when Pfeni arrives?
(a) British punk music.
(b) A book on tape.
(c) A recording of a women's chorus her mother used to sing with as a young woman.
(d) A song with deep personal meaning to her.
2. What is Tess's school project?
(a) A series of essays on revolutionaries.
(b) A biography of a famous feminist.
(c) A science fair experiment.
(d) A biography of her mother's early years.
3. Why won't Sara allow Tess to move to the United States?
(a) She wants Tess to go to Pais.
(b) She says American universities are declining.
(c) She has a fear of flying.
(d) She instead plans to move them both to Australia.
4. When Pfeni first arrives, she is late. Who or what does she blame that on?
(a) A late train.
(b) She was distracted by a shopping expedition.
(c) A broken watch.
(d) An Indian taxi driver.
5. Why doesn't Tess want Nick to come to dinner?
(a) Tess dislikes Nick's capitalist values.
(b) Tess thinks Nick is secretly in love with her.
(c) Nick is not a vegetarian.
(d) Nick has poor table manners.
This section contains 5,960 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)