|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carrie move to after finding great success on stage?
2. Who surprises Carrie by visiting her at the theater after the height of her success?
3. Why does Carrie feel she needs to find another job after a month or two?
4. What does Carrie tell Lola that she does not want to end up with again after all her success on stage?
5. What does Carrie spend her entire night doing just before she is supposed to leave town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hurstwood find awaiting him when he tries to get a job as a trolley driver?
2. What causes Carrie to change her mind about turning down the invitation to a party being held by Mrs. Vance?
3. What is so strange about the marriage between Carrie and Hurstwood?
4. What is Carrie doing at the end of the book?
5. What does Hurstwood do after his first two days working as a trolley driver?
6. How does Hurstwood get a warm bed for the night when he is released from the hospital?
7. What does Carrie realize as she talks with some of her friends from her first job in New York?
8. What causes Hurstwood deep shame while he is at his new job in New York?
9. What happens when Carrie is given a silent role in a play?
10. How does Hurstwood expect to be able to afford his rent and food after Carrie finds her first job in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was this title significant to the course of this plot, and what kind of things did the title foreshadow?
Essay Topic 2
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Theodore Dreiser have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)