|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job does Carrie think she would like to have now that Hurstwood is out of work?
2. What does Carrie leave for Hurstwood when she moves out of his flat?
3. How long does Hurstwood stay in the hospital?
4. What is Hurstwood doing when Carrie thinks he is out looking for a job?
5. What kind of letters does Carrie get that Lola teases her about after all her success on stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hurstwood unable to find employment after his saloon in New York closes?
2. What shocking news does Hurstwood tell Carrie as they are fighting about his lack of a job?
3. What does Hurstwood do to help reduce costs when he stops looking for work?
4. What condition does Hurstwood find himself in after he is released from the hospital after months of sickness?
5. How does Hurstwood feel about his attempt to find a job with the trolley company?
6. What is Carrie's second job in New York?
7. What is Carrie doing at the end of the book?
8. How does Hurstwood expect to be able to afford his rent and food after Carrie finds her first job in New York?
9. What does Hurstwood do after his first two days working as a trolley driver?
10. How does Carrie feel about Mr. Ames when she first meets him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hurstwood endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences? How does he ultimately respond to this barrage of trials?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)