|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurstwood daydream about after he learns about Carrie's success on stage?
2. How does Mr. Ames feel about acting as a career?
3. What is Carrie doing when she first meets Mr. Ames?
4. How does Carrie get a raise in pay at her first job in New York?
5. How does Carrie feel while chatting with her surprise visitor at the height of her success?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hurstwood do after his first two days working as a trolley driver?
2. What makes Carrie feel less guilt about leaving Hurstwood the way she did?
3. What awakens Carrie's desires to have the luxuries of life just after she is married to Hurstwood?
4. What shocking news does Hurstwood tell Carrie as they are fighting about his lack of a job?
5. Why is so surprising about the marriage proposals Carrie receives in the mail after she finds success on stage?
6. Why is Hurstwood unable to find employment after his saloon in New York closes?
7. What is Carrie doing at the end of the book?
8. How does Hurstwood respond to the news of Carrie's theatrical success?
9. Why is Carrie so confused when the grocer comes to her door demanding his bill be paid?
10. How does Hurstwood get a warm bed for the night when he is released from the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)