|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Ames feel about acting as a career?
2. What gives Carrie joy in during her long train ride with Hurstwood?
3. How does Hurstwood get by after being released from the hospital?
4. What does Carrie learn about during her dinner with the surprise visitor during the height of her success?
5. What causes Carrie to change her mind about turning down an invitation to a party at Mrs. Vance's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hurstwood unable to find employment after his saloon in New York closes?
2. What shocking news does Hurstwood tell Carrie as they are fighting about his lack of a job?
3. How does Hurstwood feel about his attempt to find a job with the trolley company?
4. How does Hurstwood expect to be able to afford his rent and food after Carrie finds her first job in New York?
5. What does Carrie realize as she talks with some of her friends from her first job in New York?
6. Why is Carrie so confused when the grocer comes to her door demanding his bill be paid?
7. Why is Carrie so surprised about being able to find a job so fast in New York?
8. How does Hurstwood get a warm bed for the night when he is released from the hospital?
9. What causes Carrie to change her mind about turning down the invitation to a party being held by Mrs. Vance?
10. What is Carrie doing at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Theodore Dreiser have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)