|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurstwood do to avoid looking for work?
2. How much money of his own does Hurstwood have left after Carrie finds her first job in New York?
3. How does Hurstwood hear about Carrie's theatrical success?
4. Where does Hurstwood decide to look for a job after someone comes to his flat demanding a bill be paid?
5. What is Hurstwood doing when Carrie thinks he is out looking for a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hurstwood find awaiting him when he tries to get a job as a trolley driver?
2. Who does Hurstwood think will notice his absence first after he leaves with Carrie?
3. Why is Carrie so confused when the grocer comes to her door demanding his bill be paid?
4. What happens when Carrie is given a silent role in a play?
5. How does Hurstwood respond to the news of Carrie's theatrical success?
6. How is Carrie finally convinced to leave Hurstwood?
7. What causes Hurstwood deep shame while he is at his new job in New York?
8. How does Hurstwood expect to be able to afford his rent and food after Carrie finds her first job in New York?
9. What condition does Hurstwood find himself in after he is released from the hospital after months of sickness?
10. What does Carrie realize as she talks with some of her friends from her first job in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Hurstwood's foolhardy and selfish nature wreaked havoc throughout the entire book. What are some examples of this foolish behavior, and how did these actions affect the characters around him? Do you think the author was sending a message through Hurstwood's behavior? Why or why not?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)