|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hurstwood doing when Carrie thinks he is out looking for a job?
2. What does Hurstwood do to avoid looking for work?
3. Who introduces Carrie to Mr. Ames?
4. What kind of job does Carrie think she would like to have now that Hurstwood is out of work?
5. What does Hurstwood spend his days doing after Carrie finds her first job in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carrie feel about Mr. Ames when she first meets him?
2. What happens when Carrie is given a silent role in a play?
3. How does Hurstwood feel about his attempt to find a job with the trolley company?
4. Why does Carrie say she does not date after finding so much success on stage?
5. What causes Carrie to change her mind about turning down the invitation to a party being held by Mrs. Vance?
6. Why does Carrie not get to spend any of Hurstwood's extra money on new clothing for herself?
7. What awakens Carrie's desires to have the luxuries of life just after she is married to Hurstwood?
8. Why is so surprising about the marriage proposals Carrie receives in the mail after she finds success on stage?
9. Why is Carrie so surprised about being able to find a job so fast in New York?
10. What is Carrie doing at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Theodore Dreiser have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Lola is a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if Lola had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)