|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Hurstwood have to pay for interest in a bar?
2. Where does Hurstwood decide to look for a job after someone comes to his flat demanding a bill be paid?
3. What does Carrie do in response to the increasing despondency shown by Hurstwood?
4. How does Carrie feel about the couple that moves in to the flat across the hall from her and Hurstwood?
5. What is Hurstwood doing when Carrie thinks he is out looking for a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is so surprising about the marriage proposals Carrie receives in the mail after she finds success on stage?
2. Why is Carrie so confused when the grocer comes to her door demanding his bill be paid?
3. What is Carrie's second job in New York?
4. How does Hurstwood expect to be able to afford his rent and food after Carrie finds her first job in New York?
5. What is so strange about the marriage between Carrie and Hurstwood?
6. What makes Carrie feel less guilt about leaving Hurstwood the way she did?
7. What does Carrie do after work to keep from having to go back to her flat?
8. What does Hurstwood find awaiting him when he tries to get a job as a trolley driver?
9. What awakens Carrie's desires to have the luxuries of life just after she is married to Hurstwood?
10. What is Carrie doing at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different phases of the relationship between Carrie and Hurstwood and how they affected the course of the plot for the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
How was this title significant to the course of this plot, and what kind of things did the title foreshadow?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)