|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurstwood have to do when his money runs out?
2. How long does Hurstwood stay in the hospital?
3. What causes Hurstwood to stop looking for work?
4. What is Carrie ashamed to tell Mrs. Vance when they run into each other on the street one day after Hurstwood loses his job?
5. What does Hurstwood harass Carrie about after she finds her first job in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carrie do after work to keep from having to go back to her flat?
2. What causes Carrie to change her mind about turning down the invitation to a party being held by Mrs. Vance?
3. How does Carrie feel about Mr. Ames when she first meets him?
4. What does Hurstwood do after his first two days working as a trolley driver?
5. Why is so surprising about the marriage proposals Carrie receives in the mail after she finds success on stage?
6. What makes Carrie feel less guilt about leaving Hurstwood the way she did?
7. What does Hurstwood do to help reduce costs when he stops looking for work?
8. What condition does Hurstwood find himself in after he is released from the hospital after months of sickness?
9. What happens when Carrie is given a silent role in a play?
10. What is Carrie doing at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Laughter and happiness are common themes found in this novel. Where does this come into play, and how does it affect the characters involved in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Lola is a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What might have happened differently if Lola had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different phases of the relationship between Carrie and Hurstwood and how they affected the course of the plot for the other characters around them.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)