|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carrie find her first job in New York?
2. Where does Hurstwood decide to take Carrie after hearing back from the resort in Chicago?
3. What does Carrie decide to do when she hears that their savings is almost gone?
4. What is most exciting to Carrie about her second job in New York?
5. What gives Carrie joy in during her long train ride with Hurstwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hurstwood do after his first two days working as a trolley driver?
2. Why does Carrie not get to spend any of Hurstwood's extra money on new clothing for herself?
3. What does Carrie realize as she talks with some of her friends from her first job in New York?
4. What happens to Hurstwood's daughter at the end of the book?
5. Why is Carrie so confused when the grocer comes to her door demanding his bill be paid?
6. How does Hurstwood get a warm bed for the night when he is released from the hospital?
7. Why is so surprising about the marriage proposals Carrie receives in the mail after she finds success on stage?
8. Why is Carrie so surprised about being able to find a job so fast in New York?
9. What is Carrie doing at the end of the book?
10. What causes Carrie to change her mind about turning down the invitation to a party being held by Mrs. Vance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Theodore Dreiser have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)