|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie agree to do for Drouet's new group when approached by Drouet?
2. What does Drouet start doing that changes the way Carrie feels about him?
3. Why does Carrie tell Hurstwood she would have to leave Chicago if she were to leave Drouet?
4. How many rooms are in the apartment that Carrie shares with Drouet?
5. Why is Carrie afraid to leave the situation with Drouet even though she knows that it compromises her moral virtue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hurstwood decide to try to work out the drama with his wife the day after he storms out of his house?
2. What unexpected news does Drouet hear from a maid the morning after Carrie's success in the Masons' play?
3. Why was Carrie offered a job at a department store during the slow season?
4. What keeps Hurstwood from openly having an affair?
5. What kind of woman does Drouet tell Carrie he would rather be with as their relationship begins to change?
6. Where is Carrie told to look for a job after being turned down twice on her first day of searching for employment in Chicago?
7. What comment from a friend gives Mrs. Hurstwood the idea that her husband has not been faithful to her?
8. What does Carrie tell Hurstwood he must do if he wants her to leave Drouet and be with him?
9. What does Drouet offer Carrie when he sees her on the street a few weeks after first meeting her on the train?
10. What does Hurstwood receive in the mail that lets him know his life is about to change dramatically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)