|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sven spend most of his spare time doing when Carrie first stays with him and her sister?
2. Why does Drouet beg Carrie not to move out of his apartment?
3. Where does Hurstwood stay after storming out of his house after his wife's accusation of his affair?
4. What worries Hurstwood the most as he waits for a response from his wife after being locked out of his house?
5. What is Drouet doing when he is caught with another woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hurstwood try to do when Drouet meets him at the resort the night after meeting Carrie?
2. Why does Drouet call Carrie by another name when he is with the Masons?
3. How does Hurstwood treat Drouet when he comes to the resort after his business trip during which Hurstwood's and Carrie's affair began?
4. What unexpected news does Drouet hear from a maid the morning after Carrie's success in the Masons' play?
5. What does Drouet offer Carrie when he sees her on the street a few weeks after first meeting her on the train?
6. What comment from a friend gives Mrs. Hurstwood the idea that her husband has not been faithful to her?
7. Why was Carrie offered a job at a department store during the slow season?
8. What new feeling does Hurstwood have when he takes Drouet and Carrie to dinner after the play?
9. What does Hurstwood take from the resort after receiving the letter from Carrie telling him their relationship is over?
10. What kind of woman does Drouet tell Carrie he would rather be with as their relationship begins to change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Theodore Dreiser have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)