|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Drouet do on his business trips that is revolting to Carrie?
2. What does Carrie think about the men she works with at her first job in Chicago?
3. How did Hurstwood leave himself open to be sued for divorce?
4. What does Carrie do with Mrs. Hale that makes her very depressed?
5. How does Carrie show Hurstwood that she loves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Drouet offer Carrie when he sees her on the street a few weeks after first meeting her on the train?
2. Why is Carrie so afraid to go back to her sister's house after Drouet buys her some winter things?
3. Where is Carrie told to look for a job after being turned down twice on her first day of searching for employment in Chicago?
4. How does Hurstwood react when Drouet tells him about the play being put on by his group?
5. What does Hurstwood continually ask Carrie about when they meet together on the morning after her success in the play?
6. What comment from a friend gives Mrs. Hurstwood the idea that her husband has not been faithful to her?
7. What keeps Hurstwood from openly having an affair?
8. Why does Sven retire to bed so early every night?
9. Why was Carrie moving to Chicago at the beginning of the book?
10. What causes Carrie to suspect Hurstwood's motives in getting her on the train to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Hurstwood endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences? How does he ultimately respond to this barrage of trials?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)