|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Carrie and Drouet spend their nights after Carrie moves out of her sister's house?
2. What does Mrs. Hurstwood tell her husband that she expects from him during his affair?
3. Why can't the audience hear Carrie in the play?
4. What is Carrie told she is lacking as she tries to find a job in Chicago?
5. What does Hurstwood do after Drouet is caught with another woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hurstwood take from the resort after receiving the letter from Carrie telling him their relationship is over?
2. What comment from a friend gives Mrs. Hurstwood the idea that her husband has not been faithful to her?
3. Why does Drouet call Carrie by another name when he is with the Masons?
4. Why is Carrie so afraid to go back to her sister's house after Drouet buys her some winter things?
5. What does Hurstwood try to do when Drouet meets him at the resort the night after meeting Carrie?
6. What kind of woman does Drouet tell Carrie he would rather be with as their relationship begins to change?
7. Why does Hurstwood decide to try to work out the drama with his wife the day after he storms out of his house?
8. What does Hurstwood receive in the mail that lets him know his life is about to change dramatically?
9. How does Hurstwood treat Drouet when he comes to the resort after his business trip during which Hurstwood's and Carrie's affair began?
10. How does Carrie's sister respond to the news that Carrie has moved out of her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different phases of the relationship between Carrie and Hurstwood and how they affected the course of the plot for the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Laughter and happiness are common themes found in this novel. Where does this come into play, and how does it affect the characters involved in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How was this title significant to the course of this plot, and what kind of things did the title foreshadow?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)