|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carrie show Hurstwood that she loves him?
2. What does Mr. Hurstwood do with Carrie the first time he visits her while Drouet is away?
3. Why is Carrie hesitant to leave Drouet and run away with Hurstwood?
4. Who is Carrie trying to emulate as her relationship with Drouet begins to change?
5. What kind of seat does Hurstwood purchase for himself at the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hurstwood decide to rent a carriage instead of continuing his walk with Carrie?
2. Why is Carrie so afraid to go back to her sister's house after Drouet buys her some winter things?
3. What job does Carrie decide to take after Drouet moves out of her apartment?
4. What does Carrie tell Hurstwood he must do if he wants her to leave Drouet and be with him?
5. Why does Hurstwood decide to try to work out the drama with his wife the day after he storms out of his house?
6. What causes Carrie to suspect Hurstwood's motives in getting her on the train to New York?
7. What excuse does Drouet give when Hurstwood finds him at lunch with a woman other than Carrie?
8. Why was Carrie moving to Chicago at the beginning of the book?
9. Why does Sven retire to bed so early every night?
10. What does Hurstwood continually ask Carrie about when they meet together on the morning after her success in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hurstwood endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences? How does he ultimately respond to this barrage of trials?
Essay Topic 2
Hurstwood's foolhardy and selfish nature wreaked havoc throughout the entire book. What are some examples of this foolish behavior, and how did these actions affect the characters around him? Do you think the author was sending a message through Hurstwood's behavior? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)