|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hurstwood want to move himself and Carrie into a flat smaller than the first one they have rented?
(a) He wants to save money to buy his own club.
(b) He wants to live closer to his place of work.
(c) He wants to move Carrie away from the Vances.
(d) He wants to have more money to gamble.
2. How long does Hurstwood stay in the hospital?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Several months.
(c) Six days.
(d) Three weeks.
3. Why is Carrie unable to pay the person who comes to her flat demanding money?
(a) She has just paid her rent.
(b) She knows nothing of this debt.
(c) The sum is too high.
(d) She does not get her next paycheck for 3 more days.
4. How does Carrie feel about finding her first job in New York?
5. How does Carrie get a raise in pay at her first job in New York?
(a) She asks for it.
(b) She gets one of the other girls fired.
(c) She is promoted.
(d) She goes on a date with her manager.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie do with the extra money she gets from the raise at her first job in New York?
2. What is Hurstwood thinking about during his long train ride?
3. How does Carrie feel about the couple that moves in to the flat across the hall from her and Hurstwood?
4. What is Carrie thinking about during her long train ride?
5. What does Hurstwood daydream about after he learns about Carrie's success on stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hurstwood think will notice his absence first after he leaves with Carrie?
2. Why is Carrie so confused when the grocer comes to her door demanding his bill be paid?
3. Why does Carrie say she does not date after finding so much success on stage?
4. What shocking news does Hurstwood tell Carrie as they are fighting about his lack of a job?
5. What condition does Hurstwood find himself in after he is released from the hospital after months of sickness?
6. What is Carrie doing at the end of the book?
7. Why does Carrie not get to spend any of Hurstwood's extra money on new clothing for herself?
8. While looking for an acting job in New York, what does Carrie learn she must have in order to succeed?
9. What makes Carrie feel less guilt about leaving Hurstwood the way she did?
10. What does Hurstwood do to help reduce costs when he stops looking for work?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)