|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carrie's first job in New York?
(a) A waitress.
(b) A sales-girl.
(c) An actress.
(d) A chorus girl.
2. Where does Hurstwood decide to look for a job after someone comes to his flat demanding a bill be paid?
(a) A department store.
(b) A bar.
(c) The trolley yard.
(d) The train station.
3. What does Hurstwood sell when Carrie moves out of his flat?
(a) The kitchen utensils.
(b) The clothes she has left.
(c) The furniture.
(d) All the pictures he has of her.
4. What is Drouet doing at the end of the book?
(a) Seducing pretty girls.
(b) Opening a new club.
(c) Directing a play.
(d) Trying to woo Carrie.
5. Who rekindles a friendship with Carrie after she finds great success on stage?
(c) Mrs. Vance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Carrie ask to live with her after finding great success on stage?
2. How does Carrie feel about the couple that moves in to the flat across the hall from her and Hurstwood?
3. What does Hurstwood discourage Carrie from doing after they are married and in a new apartment?
4. What is Hurstwood doing when Carrie thinks he is out looking for a job?
5. What does Carrie enjoy most about her new success in the theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Carrie to change her mind about turning down the invitation to a party being held by Mrs. Vance?
2. Why is Hurstwood unable to find employment after his saloon in New York closes?
3. How does Hurstwood expect to be able to afford his rent and food after Carrie finds her first job in New York?
4. What shocking news does Hurstwood tell Carrie as they are fighting about his lack of a job?
5. What does Hurstwood find awaiting him when he tries to get a job as a trolley driver?
6. What does Carrie realize as she talks with some of her friends from her first job in New York?
7. Why does Carrie say she does not date after finding so much success on stage?
8. How is Carrie finally convinced to leave Hurstwood?
9. What makes Carrie feel less guilt about leaving Hurstwood the way she did?
10. Why is so surprising about the marriage proposals Carrie receives in the mail after she finds success on stage?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)