|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hurstwood refuse to help his wife show some of their friends around town one night?
(a) He is too busy.
(b) He hates being around his wife for longer than an hour at a time.
(c) He does not feel like talking to people he does not like.
(d) He has to work.
2. Where is the first place in Chicago that Carrie goes to find work?
(a) The railroad.
(b) A millinery.
(c) The wholesale district.
(d) The industrial district.
3. Where is Carrie told she must go to pursue her chosen line of work?
(a) New York.
(b) The theater district.
(c) San Francisco.
4. How does Carrie tell her sister that she is moving out of her house?
(a) She calls on the phone.
(b) She tells her in person.
(c) She sends a telegraph.
(d) She leaves a note.
5. What does Hurstwood do when Carrie suspects Hurstwood's motives for getting her on the train?
(a) Gives her some money.
(b) Begs her to stay with him.
(c) Promises to make her a big star in New York.
(d) Lies about Drouet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Hanson does Carrie not like at all when she first lives with him and her sister?
2. What does Carrie find has happened in her apartment when she returns from looking for work?
3. How does Hurstwood pay for the train tickets to New York?
4. Who is Mrs. Hurstwood more interested in than her husband?
5. When does Hurstwood have to be present at the resort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Drouet call Carrie by another name when he is with the Masons?
2. What does Hurstwood do when he visits Carrie and sees her depressed?
3. What does Hurstwood try to do when Drouet meets him at the resort the night after meeting Carrie?
4. How does Carrie's sister respond to the news that Carrie has moved out of her house?
5. What does Hurstwood tell his friends to expect from the play put on by the Masons?
6. What does Hurstwood take from the resort after receiving the letter from Carrie telling him their relationship is over?
7. What does Carrie tell Hurstwood he must do if he wants her to leave Drouet and be with him?
8. What unexpected news does Drouet hear from a maid the morning after Carrie's success in the Masons' play?
9. What excuse does Drouet give when Hurstwood finds him at lunch with a woman other than Carrie?
10. Why was Carrie offered a job at a department store during the slow season?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)