|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Drouet find out about Carrie's affair with Hurstwood?
(a) Mrs. Hurstwood tells him.
(b) He sees them in the park.
(c) A maid tells him.
(d) Hurstwood tells him.
2. Why does Mr. Hurstwood refuse to help his wife show some of their friends around town one night?
(a) He does not feel like talking to people he does not like.
(b) He is too busy.
(c) He hates being around his wife for longer than an hour at a time.
(d) He has to work.
3. Who is Mrs. Hurstwood more interested in than her husband?
(a) Her secret lover.
(b) Her friends at the country club.
(c) Her neighbors.
(d) Her children.
4. Why does Carrie tell Hurstwood she would have to leave Chicago if she were to leave Drouet?
(a) She would not want to be reminded of him.
(b) She would want a new start with a new love.
(c) She would be afraid he would find them.
(d) She would feel too guilty if she saw him on the street.
5. Where does Hurstwood stay after storming out of his house after his wife's accusation of his affair?
(a) The Palmer House.
(b) The resort where he works.
(c) The Plaza.
(d) Carrie's apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie decide she must do in case Drouet does not choose to come back to her?
2. What does Hurstwood suggest to Carrie that they do the day after her success in the play?
3. How much rent is Carrie expected to pay for staying with her sister?
4. Carrie tells Drouet that Hurstwood visited her how many times when they began their affair while Drouet was away on his business trip?
5. Where does Drouet spend his time the night after he meets Carrie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hurstwood receive in the mail that lets him know his life is about to change dramatically?
2. What does Hurstwood tell his friends to expect from the play put on by the Masons?
3. Why does Hurstwood decide to try to work out the drama with his wife the day after he storms out of his house?
4. What does Hurstwood continually ask Carrie about when they meet together on the morning after her success in the play?
5. What does Drouet offer Carrie when he sees her on the street a few weeks after first meeting her on the train?
6. What does Hurstwood take from the resort after receiving the letter from Carrie telling him their relationship is over?
7. Why was Carrie moving to Chicago at the beginning of the book?
8. What does Hurstwood do when he visits Carrie and sees her depressed?
9. Why is Carrie so afraid to go back to her sister's house after Drouet buys her some winter things?
10. What causes Carrie to suspect Hurstwood's motives in getting her on the train to New York?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)