|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Carrie told she must go to pursue her chosen line of work?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
(d) The theater district.
2. What does Hurstwood tell his friends to do when they go to the play put on by Drouet's group?
(a) Wear formal attire.
(b) Boo the whole time.
(c) Leave half way through.
(d) Cheer for Carrie.
3. What about Hanson does Carrie not like at all when she first lives with him and her sister?
(a) He is nosey.
(b) He is greedy and vindictive.
(c) He is loud.
(d) He is cold and quiet.
4. Where is the first place in Chicago that Carrie goes to find work?
(a) The wholesale district.
(b) The railroad.
(c) A millinery.
(d) The industrial district.
5. Why does Carrie feel she can no longer trust Hurstwood after her confrontation with Drouet about her affair?
(a) His wife comes to her and tells her about his lack of fortune.
(b) He has lied to her about his actual success in business.
(c) She finds out he is married.
(d) She hears some horrible rumors about him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't the audience hear Carrie in the play?
2. What does Carrie decide she must do in case Drouet does not choose to come back to her?
3. Under whose name is most of Hurstwood's property?
4. What does Mrs. Hurstwood get upset about when she is at dinner one night with her family?
5. Why does Hurstwood decide to send his wife the money she needs to go on vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secrets have Carrie and Hurstwood been keeping from each other during their affair?
2. Why was Carrie offered a job at a department store during the slow season?
3. What does Hurstwood do when he visits Carrie and sees her depressed?
4. What excuse does Drouet give when Hurstwood finds him at lunch with a woman other than Carrie?
5. How does Carrie view her relationship with Drouet after she has lived with him for a little while?
6. Why does Drouet call Carrie by another name when he is with the Masons?
7. What causes Carrie to suspect Hurstwood's motives in getting her on the train to New York?
8. How does Carrie's sister respond to the news that Carrie has moved out of her house?
9. What does Drouet offer Carrie when he sees her on the street a few weeks after first meeting her on the train?
10. What does Hurstwood continually ask Carrie about when they meet together on the morning after her success in the play?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)