|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hurstwood not want to divorce his wife even though he loves Carrie?
(a) He is afraid of his wife.
(b) He knows most of his money would go to his family.
(c) He wants to avoid a scandal.
(d) It would be too expensive.
2. What does Mrs. Hurstwood tell her husband that she expects from him during his affair?
(b) A divorce.
(c) Financial support.
3. What worries Hurstwood the most as he waits for a response from his wife after being locked out of his house?
(a) Carrie's silence.
(b) The possible loss of his employment.
(c) The ownership of his house.
(d) His reputation among his friends.
4. What does Hurstwood do after Drouet is caught with another woman?
(a) Elopes with Carrie.
(b) Promises Drouet not to tell anyone about the other woman.
(c) Takes Drouet and Carrie out to the theater.
(d) Tells Carrie about the other woman.
5. What causes the actors in the play to be jealous of Carrie?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her natural talent.
(c) The admiration she receives.
(d) Her way with people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Carrie told she must go to pursue her chosen line of work?
2. What kind of seat does Hurstwood purchase for himself at the play?
3. Why does Mr. Hurstwood refuse to help his wife show some of their friends around town one night?
4. Why does Drouet beg Carrie not to move out of his apartment?
5. What does Hurstwood tell Drouet he will do about the play being put on by Drouet's group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Carrie to suspect Hurstwood's motives in getting her on the train to New York?
2. Why is Carrie so afraid to go back to her sister's house after Drouet buys her some winter things?
3. What excuse does Drouet give when Hurstwood finds him at lunch with a woman other than Carrie?
4. What does Drouet offer Carrie when he sees her on the street a few weeks after first meeting her on the train?
5. What keeps Hurstwood from openly having an affair?
6. What does Hurstwood receive in the mail that lets him know his life is about to change dramatically?
7. What does Hurstwood tell his friends to expect from the play put on by the Masons?
8. Why was Carrie moving to Chicago at the beginning of the book?
9. How does Hurstwood treat Drouet when he comes to the resort after his business trip during which Hurstwood's and Carrie's affair began?
10. What kind of woman does Drouet tell Carrie he would rather be with as their relationship begins to change?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)