|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hurstwood say he must do when he hears about the play being put on by Drouet's group?
(a) Shut down Drouet's group.
(b) Attend the play.
(c) Get Carrie out of Chicago.
(d) Keep Carrie from attending.
2. Where is the first place in Chicago that Carrie goes to find work?
(a) A millinery.
(b) The wholesale district.
(c) The railroad.
(d) The industrial district.
3. Who is Carrie trying to emulate as her relationship with Drouet begins to change?
(a) A lady across the hall.
(b) Mrs. Hurstwood.
(c) Her sister.
(d) The fine ladies that Drouet fancies.
4. How does Hanson feel about having Carrie out of the house?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He misses the money she brought in.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is indifferent.
5. How much rent is Carrie expected to pay for staying with her sister?
(a) $4 a month.
(b) $1.40 a month.
(c) $40 a month.
(d) $14 a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Carrie not buy a jacket with the money Drouet gave her?
2. What does Mr. Hurstwood do with Carrie the first time he visits her while Drouet is away?
3. How does Hurstwood get Carrie to come with him after receiving the letter telling him that their relationship is over?
4. What causes Carrie to lose her first job in Chicago?
5. What does Carrie agree to do for Drouet's new group when approached by Drouet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unexpected news does Drouet hear from a maid the morning after Carrie's success in the Masons' play?
2. What excuse does Drouet give when Hurstwood finds him at lunch with a woman other than Carrie?
3. How does Carrie view her relationship with Drouet after she has lived with him for a little while?
4. What does Drouet offer Carrie when he sees her on the street a few weeks after first meeting her on the train?
5. Why is Carrie so afraid to go back to her sister's house after Drouet buys her some winter things?
6. What secrets have Carrie and Hurstwood been keeping from each other during their affair?
7. How does Hurstwood treat Drouet when he comes to the resort after his business trip during which Hurstwood's and Carrie's affair began?
8. How does Hurstwood react when Drouet tells him about the play being put on by his group?
9. What does Hurstwood tell his friends to expect from the play put on by the Masons?
10. What causes Carrie to suspect Hurstwood's motives in getting her on the train to New York?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)