|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Hurstwood actually bought train tickets for?
(b) New York.
2. How does Hurstwood find out about some job openings after a man comes to his flat demanding money?
(a) From his old partner.
(b) From a friend.
(c) In the newspaper.
(d) From Carrie.
3. Who does Carrie go to live when she decides to leave Hurstwood?
(a) Mrs. Vance.
(d) Her new manager.
4. Where does Carrie find her second job in New York?
(a) A casino.
(b) An opera.
(c) A theater.
(d) A bar.
5. Where does Hurstwood find free bread after being released from the hospital?
(a) He works for it at the hotel.
(b) He steals it from grocery stores.
(c) Restaurants after midnight.
(d) Homeless shelters.
6. Why was Carrie disappointed about her second acting part at the opera house?
(a) It was a man's part.
(b) It was not the lead.
(c) It was silent.
(d) It was out of her comfort zone.
7. What does Carrie leave for Hurstwood when she moves out of his flat?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) A picture of them together.
(c) A note saying that she still loves him.
(d) Their marriage certificate.
8. What does Carrie learn about during her dinner with the surprise visitor during the height of her success?
(a) Her sister's loss of fortune.
(b) Some gossip stories going around town about her.
(c) Hurstwood's wife and children.
(d) The money Hurstwood stole.
9. What does Carrie beg Hurstwood to do when Mrs. Vance comes to visit her?
(a) Be polite and funny if possible.
(b) Put on some nice clothes.
(c) Stay out of sight.
(d) Leave the flat.
10. What happens after Hurstwood moves Carrie to a smaller flat?
(a) His partnership dissolves.
(b) Carrie threatens to leave him.
(c) He loses his job.
(d) He is arrested.
11. What is Carrie ashamed to tell Mrs. Vance when they run into each other on the street one day after Hurstwood loses his job?
(a) That she is so unhappy.
(b) That her income has dropped.
(c) That her husband lost his job.
(d) Her new address.
12. What does Hurstwood sell when Carrie moves out of his flat?
(a) The furniture.
(b) The kitchen utensils.
(c) The clothes she has left.
(d) All the pictures he has of her.
13. Why does Carrie feel she needs to find another job after a month or two?
(a) She is not being paid enough.
(b) Her current company is leaving town.
(c) She does not like her boss.
(d) She is too talented for where she is working.
14. What does Hurstwood spend his days doing after Carrie finds her first job in New York?
(b) Smoking his pipe.
(d) Reading the newspaper.
15. What gives Carrie joy in during her long train ride with Hurstwood?
(a) The sights out the window.
(b) The attention from Hurstwood.
(c) The relief of knowing she doesn't need a job now.
(d) The thoughts of becoming an actress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Carrie to get a large contract with the opera house?
2. Where does Hurstwood move after Carrie moves out of his apartment?
3. What is Drouet doing at the end of the book?
4. What does Hurstwood see when he first drives a trolley out in public?
5. Where does Hurstwood go for money after leaving the hospital?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)