|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hurstwood hear about Carrie's theatrical success?
(a) Carrie's friends tell him about it.
(b) Carrie writes to him about it.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) Word of mouth.
2. What is Hurstwood thinking about during his long train ride?
(a) Imagining what his new life with Carrie will entail.
(b) How to hide his new position from his wife.
(c) How to make Carrie trust him again.
(d) What people will think when they notice he is gone.
3. Where does Carrie find her first job in New York?
(a) A department store.
(b) A saloon.
(c) A casino.
(d) A theater.
4. Why is Carrie unable to pay the person who comes to her flat demanding money?
(a) She knows nothing of this debt.
(b) She does not get her next paycheck for 3 more days.
(c) The sum is too high.
(d) She has just paid her rent.
5. What does Hurstwood discourage Carrie from doing after they are married and in a new apartment?
(a) Leaving the apartment.
(b) Contacting Drouet.
(c) Buying clothes.
(d) Finding work.
6. What does Hurstwood do when he returns home day after day without finding another job?
(a) Smokes his pipe and talks with Carrie.
(b) Eats his dinner in silence.
(c) Goes to bed.
(d) Reads the paper.
7. What does Mr. Hurstwood do with the extra money he starts getting from his new job in New York?
(a) He gambles it away.
(b) He sends it to his wife in Chicago.
(c) He gives it to Carrie.
(d) He spends it on himself.
8. What causes Hurstwood to stop looking for work?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) An illness.
(c) Lack of funds.
9. What does Carrie spend her entire night doing just before she is supposed to leave town?
(a) Packing her bags.
(c) Talking to Mr. Ames.
(d) Writing a letter.
10. What causes Carrie to get a large contract with the opera house?
(a) Her popularity with the owner.
(b) Her success in the silent role.
(c) Her amazing ability to memorize lines.
(d) Her immense audience of gentlemen suitors.
11. Where does Hurstwood decide to look for a job after someone comes to his flat demanding a bill be paid?
(a) The trolley yard.
(b) A department store.
(c) The train station.
(d) A bar.
12. Where does Carrie find her second job in New York?
(a) A theater.
(b) A casino.
(c) A bar.
(d) An opera.
13. What does Carrie do in response to the increasing despondency shown by Hurstwood?
(a) She gets medical help for him.
(b) She files for divorce.
(c) She sleeps in another bed.
(d) She moves out.
14. What does Carrie leave for Hurstwood when she moves out of his flat?
(a) A note saying that she still loves him.
(b) A picture of them together.
(c) Their marriage certificate.
(d) Twenty dollars.
15. What does Carrie tell Lola that she does not want to end up with again after all her success on stage?
(a) A closet of old clothes.
(b) Another Hurstwood.
(c) A sullied name.
(d) An unexpected debt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurstwood daydream about after he learns about Carrie's success on stage?
2. What does Carrie not tell her co-workers about herself?
3. Who does Hurstwood see in the lobby of the hotel that makes him incredibly nervous?
4. What does Carrie do with the extra money she gets from the raise at her first job in New York?
5. What does Carrie learn about during her dinner with the surprise visitor during the height of her success?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)