|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Hurstwood get when his partnership dissolves?
2. What does Hurstwood do to keep from having to ask Carrie for so much of her hard earned money?
(a) Cuts back on his spending.
(b) Borrows money from a friend.
(c) Finds a side job.
(d) Opens lines of credit.
3. What is most exciting to Carrie about her second job in New York?
(a) It is easier work.
(b) It pays twice as much as her first job.
(c) It is closer to her flat.
(d) It is managed by a very handsome and rich man.
4. Where does Hurstwood move after Carrie moves out of his apartment?
(a) The street.
(b) A cheap hotel.
(c) A friend's house.
5. What does Carrie tell Lola that she does not want to end up with again after all her success on stage?
(a) A closet of old clothes.
(b) A sullied name.
(c) Another Hurstwood.
(d) An unexpected debt.
6. What does Hurstwood discourage Carrie from doing after they are married and in a new apartment?
(a) Buying clothes.
(b) Leaving the apartment.
(c) Contacting Drouet.
(d) Finding work.
7. Who rekindles a friendship with Carrie after she finds great success on stage?
(d) Mrs. Vance.
8. What does Hurstwood daydream about after he learns about Carrie's success on stage?
(a) Being with Carrie again.
(b) Being an actor with Carrie.
(c) Getting rich.
(d) His life in Chicago.
9. Where does Carrie find her second job in New York?
(a) A theater.
(b) A bar.
(c) An opera.
(d) A casino.
10. What happens after Hurstwood moves Carrie to a smaller flat?
(a) Carrie threatens to leave him.
(b) He is arrested.
(c) His partnership dissolves.
(d) He loses his job.
11. What does Carrie leave for Hurstwood when she moves out of his flat?
(a) Their marriage certificate.
(b) A note saying that she still loves him.
(c) A picture of them together.
(d) Twenty dollars.
12. Where is Carrie preparing to go when she almost turns down an invitation to Mrs. Vance's house?
13. What does Hurstwood harass Carrie about after she finds her first job in New York?
(a) Spending too much money.
(b) Not caring for him during his illness.
(c) Staying at work too long.
(d) Not making him dinner.
14. Who protects Hurstwood from the angry strikers at the end of his first day driving the trolley?
(a) His boss.
(c) The police.
(d) A body guard.
15. What does Carrie not tell her co-workers about herself?
(a) She is married.
(b) She wants to be an actress.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is older than they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurstwood see when he first drives a trolley out in public?
2. Why does Hurstwood want to move himself and Carrie into a flat smaller than the first one they have rented?
3. What kind of letters does Carrie get that Lola teases her about after all her success on stage?
4. What does Carrie enjoy most about her new success in the theater?
5. What does Carrie do with the extra money she gets from the raise at her first job in New York?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)