|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carrie ashamed to tell Mrs. Vance when they run into each other on the street one day after Hurstwood loses his job?
(a) That her income has dropped.
(b) Her new address.
(c) That she is so unhappy.
(d) That her husband lost his job.
2. Who surprises Carrie by visiting her at the theater after the height of her success?
(c) Mrs. Vance.
(d) Mr. Ames.
3. How does Carrie feel about being the breadwinner at her home now?
4. How long does it take Hurstwood to learn to drive a trolley?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 1 day.
5. Why is Carrie unable to pay the person who comes to her flat demanding money?
(a) She has just paid her rent.
(b) The sum is too high.
(c) She does not get her next paycheck for 3 more days.
(d) She knows nothing of this debt.
6. Why does Hurstwood stop coming home from dinner after a few months of married life?
(a) He and Carrie fight too much.
(b) He feels Carrie's resentment when he's home.
(c) He gets busy at work.
(d) He finds his domestic life boring.
7. What does Carrie do in response to the increasing despondency shown by Hurstwood?
(a) She files for divorce.
(b) She sleeps in another bed.
(c) She moves out.
(d) She gets medical help for him.
8. What causes Hurstwood to stop looking for work?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) Lack of funds.
(d) An illness.
9. How does Hurstwood hear about Carrie's theatrical success?
(a) Carrie writes to him about it.
(b) Word of mouth.
(c) Carrie's friends tell him about it.
(d) The newspaper.
10. What does Carrie tell Hurstwood to do after a man comes to her flat demanding money?
(a) Pay the man.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Fight the man.
(d) Explain how the debt was incurred.
11. How does Carrie get a raise in pay at her first job in New York?
(a) She goes on a date with her manager.
(b) She gets one of the other girls fired.
(c) She asks for it.
(d) She is promoted.
12. What causes Hurstwood to become suicidal at times?
(a) Seeing his reflection.
(b) Reading about Carrie's success.
(c) Seeing people he knew in Chicago.
(d) Not getting the money he needs.
13. What does Carrie tell Lola that she does not want to end up with again after all her success on stage?
(a) Another Hurstwood.
(b) An unexpected debt.
(c) A closet of old clothes.
(d) A sullied name.
14. What happens after Hurstwood moves Carrie to a smaller flat?
(a) He is arrested.
(b) His partnership dissolves.
(c) He loses his job.
(d) Carrie threatens to leave him.
15. What does Hurstwood daydream about after he learns about Carrie's success on stage?
(a) His life in Chicago.
(b) Getting rich.
(c) Being an actor with Carrie.
(d) Being with Carrie again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie envy in the other girls that she works with in her first job in New York?
2. What does Hurstwood do to avoid looking for work?
3. Who does Hurstwood see in the lobby of the hotel that makes him incredibly nervous?
4. Who introduces Carrie to Mr. Ames?
5. Where does Hurstwood choose to spend the night after his first day at work as a trolley driver?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)