|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Carrie ask to live with her after finding great success on stage?
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her new love interest.
2. Where is Hurstwood's wife going at the end of the book?
(b) New York.
3. Why does Carrie feel she needs to find another job after a month or two?
(a) She is too talented for where she is working.
(b) She is not being paid enough.
(c) She does not like her boss.
(d) Her current company is leaving town.
4. Why was Carrie disappointed about her second acting part at the opera house?
(a) It was not the lead.
(b) It was silent.
(c) It was a man's part.
(d) It was out of her comfort zone.
5. What does Mr. Hurstwood do with the extra money he starts getting from his new job in New York?
(a) He gives it to Carrie.
(b) He spends it on himself.
(c) He gambles it away.
(d) He sends it to his wife in Chicago.
6. What causes Hurstwood to become suicidal at times?
(a) Seeing people he knew in Chicago.
(b) Not getting the money he needs.
(c) Seeing his reflection.
(d) Reading about Carrie's success.
7. How much money does Hurstwood get when his partnership dissolves?
8. What causes Carrie to change her mind about turning down an invitation to a party at Mrs. Vance's house?
(a) She wants to see Mrs. Vance one more time before she leaves.
(b) She hears Mr. Ames will be there.
(c) She gets a brand new dress from her tailor.
(d) She has never yet turned down an invitation.
9. What does Carrie not tell her co-workers about herself?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is married.
(c) She is older than they are.
(d) She wants to be an actress.
10. What gives Carrie joy in during her long train ride with Hurstwood?
(a) The relief of knowing she doesn't need a job now.
(b) The thoughts of becoming an actress.
(c) The sights out the window.
(d) The attention from Hurstwood.
11. What does Hurstwood see when he first drives a trolley out in public?
(a) A man being run over by a car.
(b) A robbery.
(c) A fight between strikers and police.
(d) A car accident.
12. Where does Hurstwood finally find a job when he runs out of his money after Carrie leaves him?
(a) A hotel.
(b) The train station.
(c) A casino.
(d) A bar.
13. What does Hurstwood discourage Carrie from doing after they are married and in a new apartment?
(a) Leaving the apartment.
(b) Finding work.
(c) Contacting Drouet.
(d) Buying clothes.
14. What does Hurstwood do to avoid looking for work?
(a) Apply for unemployment checks.
(b) Sit in hotel lobbies.
(c) Sit on park benches.
(d) Read in the library.
15. What does Hurstwood do to keep from having to ask Carrie for so much of her hard earned money?
(a) Opens lines of credit.
(b) Borrows money from a friend.
(c) Finds a side job.
(d) Cuts back on his spending.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hurstwood have to do when his money runs out?
2. Who protects Hurstwood from the angry strikers at the end of his first day driving the trolley?
3. What does Carrie tell Lola that she does not want to end up with again after all her success on stage?
4. What does Hurstwood sell when Carrie moves out of his flat?
5. What does Carrie do one night during her show that gets a good laugh from the audience?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)