|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hurstwood stop wearing his nice clothes?
(a) He doesn't want to waste them.
(b) He doesn't feel worthy of them.
(c) He does not have the energy.
(d) He loses all hope of finding work.
2. What does Carrie not tell her co-workers about herself?
(a) She is married.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She wants to be an actress.
(d) She is older than they are.
3. Where has Hurstwood actually bought train tickets for?
(c) New York.
4. What kind of job does Carrie think she would like to have now that Hurstwood is out of work?
(a) In a resort.
(b) One on stage.
(c) At a bar.
(d) In a department store.
5. Who does Carrie ask to live with her after finding great success on stage?
(a) Her sister.
(d) Her new love interest.
6. What does Carrie leave for Hurstwood when she moves out of his flat?
(a) A picture of them together.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Their marriage certificate.
(d) A note saying that she still loves him.
7. What causes Hurstwood to become suicidal at times?
(a) Not getting the money he needs.
(b) Reading about Carrie's success.
(c) Seeing people he knew in Chicago.
(d) Seeing his reflection.
8. What causes Hurstwood to go to the hospital?
(b) A broken leg.
9. What does Carrie do one night during her show that gets a good laugh from the audience?
(a) Falls over.
(b) Tells a joke.
(c) Ad libs.
10. How does Hurstwood feel about Carrie's attempts to find work when he is unable to find a job himself?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is ashamed.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is amused.
11. What is Carrie thinking about during her long train ride?
(a) How Hurstwood tricked her.
(b) Becoming an actress in New York.
(c) Her fears of what Hurstwood will do with her now.
(d) How to get back to Drouet.
12. Where does Carrie move to after finding great success on stage?
(a) A large flat.
(b) A fancy hotel.
(c) A new house.
(d) A large condominium.
13. Where is Hurstwood's wife going at the end of the book?
(a) New York.
14. Where does Hurstwood move after Carrie moves out of his apartment?
(b) A friend's house.
(c) The street.
(d) A cheap hotel.
15. What does Carrie learn about during her dinner with the surprise visitor during the height of her success?
(a) The money Hurstwood stole.
(b) Her sister's loss of fortune.
(c) Some gossip stories going around town about her.
(d) Hurstwood's wife and children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carrie find her second job in New York?
2. What helps Carrie to forget about Hurstwood after she moves out of his flat?
3. How does Hurstwood find out about some job openings after a man comes to his flat demanding money?
4. Where does Hurstwood finally find a job when he runs out of his money after Carrie leaves him?
5. What is Carrie doing when she first meets Mr. Ames?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)