|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carrie decide she must do in case Drouet does not choose to come back to her?
(a) Find a job.
(b) Find another gentleman lover.
(c) Move back in with her sister.
(d) Make amends with Hurstwood.
2. How do Carrie and Drouet spend their nights after Carrie moves out of her sister's house?
(a) Attending lavish parties.
(b) Looking for a job for Carrie.
(c) Going out on the town.
(d) Talking quietly in Carrie's new apartment.
3. What causes Carrie to lose her first job in Chicago?
(a) A cold.
(b) Her lack of experience.
(c) Starting a fight with her co-workers.
(d) Her slow pace.
4. Why does Mr. Hurstwood refuse to help his wife show some of their friends around town one night?
(a) He has to work.
(b) He is too busy.
(c) He does not feel like talking to people he does not like.
(d) He hates being around his wife for longer than an hour at a time.
5. How does Drouet find out about Carrie's affair with Hurstwood?
(a) Mrs. Hurstwood tells him.
(b) Hurstwood tells him.
(c) A maid tells him.
(d) He sees them in the park.
6. What does Drouet start doing that changes the way Carrie feels about him?
(a) Comparing her to finer women.
(b) Spending nights away from home.
(c) Drinking excessively.
(d) Speaking ill of Hurstwood.
7. Why does Hurstwood worry that Carrie will not run away with him now?
(a) He knows that she knows he lied to her now.
(b) It is public knowledge that he is married now.
(c) He no longer has any money because of his impending divorce.
(d) The planned time for their departure has passed.
8. Why does Carrie tell Hurstwood she would have to leave Chicago if she were to leave Drouet?
(a) She would want a new start with a new love.
(b) She would not want to be reminded of him.
(c) She would be afraid he would find them.
(d) She would feel too guilty if she saw him on the street.
9. What does Carrie do with Mrs. Hale that makes her very depressed?
(a) Goes to a very sad play.
(b) Goes on a carriage ride through a luxurious area of town.
(c) Speaks about all the things they wish they had.
(d) Sees Drouet at dinner with another woman.
10. What is Drouet doing when he is caught with another woman?
(a) Walking in the park.
(b) Going to the theater.
(c) Eating lunch.
(d) Kissing her.
11. Why does Hurstwood decide to send his wife the money she needs to go on vacation?
(a) It will give him a few weeks to make a plan.
(b) It will give him a chance to run away with Carrie.
(c) It will give him some leverage in a divorce.
(d) It will quiet her while she is away.
12. How does Hurstwood pay for the train tickets to New York?
(a) He has stolen money from work.
(b) He writes a bad check.
(c) He pawns his watch.
(d) He uses Drouet's money.
13. How does Mrs. Hurstwood spend her day?
14. Which of the following does Drouet NOT buy for Carrie the day after giving her the $20?
(a) A purse.
(b) An apartment.
(c) A jacket.
15. How did Hurstwood leave himself open to be sued for divorce?
(a) He quit his job and ignored the letters from the police.
(b) He ignored the letters of the lawyers.
(c) He was unfaithful to his wife.
(d) He did not meet with his wife to make reconciliation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under whose name is most of Hurstwood's property?
2. What does Hurstwood say he will do after discussing his affair with his wife?
3. What does Mrs. Hurstwood tell her husband that she expects from him during his affair?
4. Why can't the audience hear Carrie in the play?
5. What does Hurstwood tell Drouet he will do about the play being put on by Drouet's group?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)