|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of seat does Hurstwood purchase for himself at the play?
(a) Box seat.
(b) He does not buy a seat.
(d) Front row.
2. What does Mr. Hurstwood do with Carrie the first time he visits her while Drouet is away?
(a) Teaches her a card game.
(b) Takes her to the theater.
(c) Takes her to the fanciest restaurant in town.
(d) Buys her a new outfit.
3. Why does Hurstwood worry that Carrie will not run away with him now?
(a) The planned time for their departure has passed.
(b) It is public knowledge that he is married now.
(c) He knows that she knows he lied to her now.
(d) He no longer has any money because of his impending divorce.
4. Where does Hurstwood stay after storming out of his house after his wife's accusation of his affair?
(a) The resort where he works.
(b) The Palmer House.
(c) The Plaza.
(d) Carrie's apartment.
5. What name does Drouet call Carrie when he is with the group he joins during Carrie's affair with Hurstwood?
6. Why is Carrie afraid to leave the situation with Drouet even though she knows that it compromises her moral virtue?
(a) She is in love with Drouet, and fears he will find someone else if she leaves.
(b) She is too attached to all the fine things Drouet has bought for her.
(c) She thinks her family will not accept her now.
(d) Drouet has threatened her.
7. Under whose name is most of Hurstwood's property?
(a) His name.
(b) His father's.
(c) His wife's.
(d) His employer's.
8. What is Drouet doing when he is caught with another woman?
(a) Going to the theater.
(b) Kissing her.
(c) Eating lunch.
(d) Walking in the park.
9. Why does Carrie not buy a jacket with the money Drouet gave her?
(a) She wants to save it for a nicer coat.
(b) She does not want her sister to ask where she got the money.
(c) She wants to repay her sister for missed rent.
(d) She wants to buy something else.
10. How does Carrie tell her sister that she is moving out of her house?
(a) She leaves a note.
(b) She sends a telegraph.
(c) She calls on the phone.
(d) She tells her in person.
11. How much rent is Carrie expected to pay for staying with her sister?
(a) $1.40 a month.
(b) $40 a month.
(c) $4 a month.
(d) $14 a month.
12. What does Carrie think about the men she works with at her first job in Chicago?
(a) They are kind and selfless.
(b) They are coarse and unrefined.
(c) They are big and brawny.
(d) They are strange and distant.
13. What is Carrie told she is lacking as she tries to find a job in Chicago?
14. What keeps Carrie from finding a job when she first starts looking for one in Chicago?
(a) Her youth.
(b) Her recent sickness.
(c) Her shyness.
(d) Her lack of skills.
15. What does Mrs. Hurstwood get upset about when she is at dinner one night with her family?
(a) Her husband did not get an expected raise.
(b) Her husband went to the theater without her.
(c) Her husband was seen with Carrie.
(d) Her husband does not notice her new hair style.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carrie respond in her letter to Hurstwood after receiving one from him while she is out looking for work?
2. What group does Drouet join just after Carrie's affair with Hurstwood begins?
3. What does Hurstwood do when Carrie suspects Hurstwood's motives for getting her on the train?
4. How does Hurstwood get Carrie to come with him after receiving the letter telling him that their relationship is over?
5. What does Carrie's first job in Chicago entail?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)