|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Carrie not buy a jacket with the money Drouet gave her?
(a) She wants to save it for a nicer coat.
(b) She wants to buy something else.
(c) She does not want her sister to ask where she got the money.
(d) She wants to repay her sister for missed rent.
2. What group does Drouet join just after Carrie's affair with Hurstwood begins?
(a) The Rowing Team.
(b) The Elk Lodge.
(c) The Racing Club.
(d) The Masons.
3. What does Hurstwood do after Drouet is caught with another woman?
(a) Tells Carrie about the other woman.
(b) Promises Drouet not to tell anyone about the other woman.
(c) Takes Drouet and Carrie out to the theater.
(d) Elopes with Carrie.
4. How does Hurstwood pay for the train tickets to New York?
(a) He pawns his watch.
(b) He writes a bad check.
(c) He uses Drouet's money.
(d) He has stolen money from work.
5. Why does Hurstwood decide to send his wife the money she needs to go on vacation?
(a) It will give him a chance to run away with Carrie.
(b) It will give him a few weeks to make a plan.
(c) It will quiet her while she is away.
(d) It will give him some leverage in a divorce.
6. What does Carrie suggest that she and Hurstwood do the day after her success in the play?
(a) Run away together.
(b) Stop seeing each other.
(c) Get married.
(d) Enroll her in a school for actors.
7. What does Mrs. Hurstwood get upset about when she is at dinner one night with her family?
(a) Her husband went to the theater without her.
(b) Her husband does not notice her new hair style.
(c) Her husband did not get an expected raise.
(d) Her husband was seen with Carrie.
8. Where does Drouet spend his time the night after he meets Carrie?
(a) A brothel.
(b) Searching for Carrie.
(c) His house.
(d) A fancy restaurant.
9. What does Carrie's first job in Chicago entail?
(a) Sewing hats.
(b) Cleaning shelves.
(c) Plucking chickens.
(d) Punching holes in leather.
10. What does Hurstwood tell Drouet he will do about the play being put on by Drouet's group?
(a) Help in the direction of it.
(b) Shut it down.
(c) Keep people from attending.
(d) Publicize for them.
11. What causes Carrie to lose her first job in Chicago?
(a) Her lack of experience.
(b) Starting a fight with her co-workers.
(c) Her slow pace.
(d) A cold.
12. Why does Hurstwood worry that Carrie will not run away with him now?
(a) It is public knowledge that he is married now.
(b) He knows that she knows he lied to her now.
(c) He no longer has any money because of his impending divorce.
(d) The planned time for their departure has passed.
13. Where does Carrie live before the book begins?
(d) New York.
14. What does Drouet do on his business trips that is revolting to Carrie?
(a) Drinks excessively.
(b) Sleeps with other women.
(c) Lounges in bed all day.
15. What does Sven spend most of his spare time doing when Carrie first stays with him and her sister?
(a) Looking for more work to do.
(b) Reading the paper and playing with their baby.
(c) Smoking and thinking.
(d) Drinking and sleeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie do with Mrs. Hale that makes her very depressed?
2. Why does Carrie feel she can no longer trust Hurstwood after her confrontation with Drouet about her affair?
3. What name does Drouet call Carrie when he is with the group he joins during Carrie's affair with Hurstwood?
4. What does Hurstwood do when Carrie suspects Hurstwood's motives for getting her on the train?
5. Who does Hurstwood see is staying at the same hotel he is?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)