Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• Carrie Meeber is traveling on a train from Wisconsin to Chicago in 1889 in order to stay with her sister and look for work in the big city.
• On the train, Carrie meets a charming man named Charles Drouet. Drouet is a man who likes a pretty woman and often shows his attention to many women in the course of a single day.
• By the time the train arrives in Chicago, Carrie finds herself giving Drouet her address and arranging for him to come visit her the following Monday.
• Carrie asks Drouet not to walk her to the platform, afraid of what her sister will think. Carrie meets her sister and sees Drouet watching from a distance. She feels the loss when he walks away.
• Carrie is taken to her sister's apartment where she meets Sven Hanson who is a cold man who spends much of his...
This section contains 5,037 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)