|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Valerie stand in front of Walter after slow dancing?
2. What would it mean if Daniel acts sleepy when Valerie calls him?
3. Who is Walter arguing with when Valerie finds him the morning after?
4. When was the last time Valerie went out?
5. Where does Valerie's mother hold weight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is common between the lives of Inda and Chiquita?
2. How does Inda meet Chiquita?
3. Why is Valerie upset at the beginning of "Sister, Sister"?
4. What happens after Inda leaves Raymond's place?
5. What happens at Daniel's place?
6. Do the women blame each other?
7. Why is Inda worried?
8. Why is Chiquita more shocked than Inda?
9. Why does Valerie decide to have an affair?
10. Why does Valerie go home with Daniel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the book were made into a film, how would Dickey's style of narrative be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Valerie give up her dreams? How does she come to the realization that she is holding herself back?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)