|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Audre Lorde to examine herself more closely, as she reveals in her talk on the panel?
2. One of the reasons which Audre Lorde believes leads to silence in one's life is ______________.
3. Audre Lorde wants to point out that one ________________ does not justify another and the other author's method of expressing this was misguided.
4. Audre Lorde sees that black men encourage black women to identify themselves in terms of their ___________ to their black male partners.
5. Who does Audre Lorde feel was left out of the book which Mary Daly has written?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Audre Lorde define the idea of women-identified women, according to her speech?
2. What are some of the ills of modern life which Audre Lorde believes poetry can help to cure?
3. Why does Audre Lorde include the example of Patricia Cowan's murder in her essay response?
4. Where did Audre Lorde give the speech "The Transformation of Silence into Language and Action"?
5. What does Audre Lorde say that life experience gives to her in relation to her expression?
6. What leads to better decision making, in Audre Lorde's opinion, which becomes a source of power?
7. What is the difference between pornography and erotic, according to Audre Lorde in this chapter?
8. What does Audre Lorde says is a symptom of white male-centric thought processes?
9. What are some of the physical observations that Audre Lorde makes about the city of Moscow?
10. How does Audre Lorde define the idea of erotic and what it means to be erotic in the context of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Lorde and her son is one which makes her think about her influence on him in his life.
Part 1: Do you think it's reasonable to say that Lorde is unable to be a complete parent to her son?
Part 2: Do you think the Lorde's son may not be able to find a good role model in his life?
Part 3: Do you believe a son is going to be less of a man because of having a lesbian mother?
Essay Topic 2
Anger is the primary response that Lorde has in response to racism, she admits.
Part 1: Why do you think that anger is the main response that Lorde has to the impact of racism?
Part 2: Do you think that anger can be a positive emotional response?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond if you were constantly put down and told that you weren't as good a person as anyone else?
Essay Topic 3
The black community in the 1960s, according to Lorde, had a lot of problems due to feeling there needed to be a simple solution.
Part 1: Do you think there can ever be an easy solution to as complicated a problem as racism?
Part 2: How do you think that you might feel if you were in a group that was fighting over the idea of a simple solution?
Part 3: Why do you think that Lorde felt isolated during this time in the 1960s?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)