|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sunil say about the baby that Anju lost?
2. What are Anju and Sunil doing when Anju has a miscarriage?
3. What does Sudah do to cheer herself up?
4. When Sunil finds out about Anju working an extra shift at the library, what happens?
5. What annoys Anju about Sudha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dream did Sudha have about Prem?
2. What kind of relationship do Anju and Sunil have?
3. What worries does Sudha have for her unborn child?
4. How does Anju feel when she finds Sudha's handkerchief in Sunjil's belongings?
5. Why hasn't Sudha's mother-in-law been telling anybody that Sudha is pregnant?
6. Why does Sudha think that Gouri has not called to tell her about the brain defect?
7. How does Sudha's identity change after she has been divorced?
8. Is it a good idea for Sudha to move to America?
9. Does Sudha think that she is treated well?
10. How does Sudha fit into her new life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do the benefits of tradition outweigh the costs for Sudha and Anju?
Essay Topic 2
Did Sudha make the right decision to go to America? Did Anju make the right decision to invite her?
Essay Topic 3
What role does foreshadowing play in the novel? What events are examples of foreshadowing? Consider Sudha's dream about Prem. How does the reader's initial perception of the dream differ from the actual event it foreshadows?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)