|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sudha overhears Sunil avoid correcting somebody when they ask him about which of the following?
2. What communication problem does Anju have with her family?
3. In Chapter 29 whom does Sudha visit?
4. Where does Anju want to get a job?
5. What does Anju hate most about Sunji's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anju feel when she finds Sudha's handkerchief in Sunjil's belongings?
2. Why does Sudha's mother-in-law want her to have an abortion?
3. Is it a good idea for Sudha to move to America?
4. In what ways have the mothers found new identities?
5. What worries does Sudha have for her unborn child?
6. What is symbolic of the final scene in the novel?
7. How does Mrs. Sanyal behave toward Sudha now that she is pregnant?
8. What request does Ashok make of Sudha?
9. Why is Anju second guessing her decision for Sudha to move to America?
10. Why does Sudha think that Gouri has not called to tell her about the brain defect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does foreshadowing play in the novel? What events are examples of foreshadowing? Consider Sudha's dream about Prem. How does the reader's initial perception of the dream differ from the actual event it foreshadows?
Essay Topic 2
What role do myths, legends, and traditions play in Anju and Sudha's lives? Does this role control their lives or add to it? Is it a positive or negative influence?
Essay Topic 3
What are the essential differences between Sudha's voice and Anju's voice? Why is voice significant in the novel? Whose voice is stronger?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)