|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sudha ask for herself and her baby?
2. Anju thinks that Sunil has kept Sudha away so that ___________.
3. What will the mothers' house become?
4. How does Sunil feel when he learns that Anju is pregnant?
5. Why does the doctor say that Sudha is unable to get pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request does Ashok make of Sudha?
2. How does Sudha fit into her new life?
3. How does Anju feel about getting married?
4. Why does Anju decide to get a job?
5. Why does Sudha's mother-in-law want her to have an abortion?
6. What worries does Sudha have for her unborn child?
7. How does Anju feel when she finds Sudha's handkerchief in Sunjil's belongings?
8. What does Sudha ask for herself and her baby?
9. What annoys Anju about Sudha?
10. How does Anju feel about her niece?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way do the mothers find new freedom as a result of Sudha's new freedom? Why are the mothers resistant to this change? How does it end up benefiting them?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of each of the Chatterjee family mothers? Which one stands out the most, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Divakaruni set the framework for the novel? Which characters are emphasized in the beginning? How can you predict what will happen by the framework in Chapters 1 and 2?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)