|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sunil say about the baby that Anju lost?
2. What does Anju hate most about Sunji's mother?
3. How does Anju feel when she arrives in America?
4. How does Sudha respond to Sudha's request about her child?
5. Why does the doctor say that Sudha is unable to get pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sudha fit into her new life?
2. Why does Sudha's mother-in-law want her to have an abortion?
3. Why hasn't Sudha's mother-in-law been telling anybody that Sudha is pregnant?
4. How does Anju feel when she finds Sudha's handkerchief in Sunjil's belongings?
5. Who speaks up most for Sudha and why?
6. Why is Anju second guessing her decision for Sudha to move to America?
7. What happens at Shasti's shrine?
8. What dream did Sudha have about Prem?
9. What is symbolic of the final scene in the novel?
10. Does Sudha think that she is treated well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Divakaruni set the framework for the novel? Which characters are emphasized in the beginning? How can you predict what will happen by the framework in Chapters 1 and 2?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of each of the Chatterjee family mothers? Which one stands out the most, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What role do myths, legends, and traditions play in Anju and Sudha's lives? Does this role control their lives or add to it? Is it a positive or negative influence?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)