|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sunil finds out about Anju working an extra shift at the library, what happens?
2. Why does the doctor say that Sudha is unable to get pregnant?
3. Anju is disappointed that Sunil does not act in what way?
4. Sunil is traveling to ____________.
5. Where does Sudha go so that she can talk to Anju privately?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Shasti's shrine?
2. How does Mrs. Sanyal behave toward Sudha now that she is pregnant?
3. What does Sudha worry about Ramesh?
4. What annoys Anju about Sudha?
5. How does Anju feel about getting married?
6. How does Sudha find peace?
7. Why does Anju decide to get a job?
8. Why does Sudha think that Gouri has not called to tell her about the brain defect?
9. What request does Ashok make of Sudha?
10. What does Sudha ask for herself and her baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anju and Sudha's wedding day. Is the tone used to describe the wedding day positive or negative? What literary techniques are used to create this atmosphere?
Essay Topic 2
In what way do the mothers find new freedom as a result of Sudha's new freedom? Why are the mothers resistant to this change? How does it end up benefiting them?
Essay Topic 3
At what point do both Sudha and Anju find peace? Will this peace last long? What might influence the way the girls find peace with each other in the future?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)