|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Sudha why she is so calm?
2. What does Gouri do because of her illness?
3. What was the name of the city in which the movie was showing?
4. How do Anju and Sudha differ on their stances of tradition?
5. Who begins to scream and cry loudly when Gouri is ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of Pishi telling Sudha the story of her father?
2. How does Anju's outlook become more positive?
3. How do the girls fight against tradition as teenagers?
4. What does Sudha say she has always wanted?
5. What is the role of each of the mother figures?
6. What role does Singhji take in the family when Gouri is ill?
7. Describe Sudha and Ashok's first meeting.
8. How do the Sanyals react to Sudha?
9. Is Sunil in love with Sudha?
10. What does Sudha think about the money she receives from her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the essential differences between Sudha's voice and Anju's voice? Why is voice significant in the novel? Whose voice is stronger?
Essay Topic 2
Which character develops most - Anju or Sudha?
Essay Topic 3
How does Anju overcome her personal struggles? How does she get over the guilt she feels about miscarrying her baby? What role does Sudha play in allowing Anju to overcome herself?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)