|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose point of view is the Chapter 2 told?
2. Where does Sudha learn the story of her father?
3. Anju hopes to convince her mothers that Sudha should do which of the following?
4. What does Anju say should be done with the jewel?
5. What do Anju's dreams revolve around?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sudha say she has always wanted?
2. How does Anju's outlook become more positive?
3. How do the girls fight against tradition as teenagers?
4. How is Anju forced into her destiny?
5. How does Sudha transform after hearing the story about her father?
6. Why does Sudha decide not to marry Ashok?
7. How does Pishi's story foreshadow a future event in Sudha's life?
8. Describe the role of the Chatterjee family in society.
9. Will Sudha and Anju have happy marriages?
10. Describe Ramesh Sanyal.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anju and Sudha's wedding day. Is the tone used to describe the wedding day positive or negative? What literary techniques are used to create this atmosphere?
Essay Topic 2
What role do myths, legends, and traditions play in Anju and Sudha's lives? Does this role control their lives or add to it? Is it a positive or negative influence?
Essay Topic 3
What impression does the final scene leave for the reader? Why does the novel end with the two women in an embrace? What does their hug represent?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)