|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anju feel about being married?
(a) She is anxious about being married.
(b) She is disappointed about being married.
(c) She loves being married.
(d) She is ashamed of being married.
2. What communication problem does Anju have with her family?
(a) Nobody wants to talk on the phone.
(b) Everybody is angry with each other.
(c) Phone calls are too expensive.
(d) Nobody wants to speak the truth.
3. What does Pishi want for Gouri?
(a) To move into a nursing home.
(b) To get married.
(c) To move to America.
(d) To have heart surgery.
4. What does Anju discover about Sudha?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She cannot get pregnant.
(d) She is going to college.
5. What did the mothers do with the ruby?
(a) Destroyed it.
(b) Made it into a pendant.
(c) Made it into a ring.
(d) Sold it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sudha's mother-in-law want her to have an abortion?
2. What are Anju and Sunil doing when Anju has a miscarriage?
3. Why does Sudha think that she had a dream about Anju's son?
4. Sunil is traveling to ____________.
5. Pishi tells Sudha the mothers will pay for _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sudha think that Gouri has not called to tell her about the brain defect?
2. How does Anju feel about getting married?
3. What dream did Sudha have about Prem?
4. What is symbolic of the final scene in the novel?
5. What happens at Shasti's shrine?
6. How does Anju feel when she finds Sudha's handkerchief in Sunjil's belongings?
7. How does Anju's life change in America?
8. How does Mrs. Sanyal behave toward Sudha now that she is pregnant?
9. What kind of relationship do Anju and Sunil have?
10. What worries does Sudha have for her unborn child?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)