|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sudha tie to the goddess tree?
(a) Her earrings.
(b) Baby clothing.
(c) Ashok's letter.
(d) Her wedding ring.
2. Why is Anju unable to travel with Sunji?
(a) She is scared of traveling.
(b) She does not speak English.
(c) She is waiting for her visa to be approved.
(d) Sunji does not want her to go.
3. What annoys Anju about Sudha?
(a) She has too much pride.
(b) She has a pessimistic outlook.
(c) She does not care enough about her new family.
(d) She allows herself to be treated badly.
4. What is Sudah worried about for her child?
(a) She will grow up and have a good relationship with her father.
(b) She will grow up fatherless.
(c) She will grow up and resent her mother.
(d) She will be ridiculed for being a girl.
5. What did the mothers do with the ruby?
(a) Made it into a pendant.
(b) Destroyed it.
(c) Made it into a ring.
(d) Sold it.
6. How does Sudha respond to Sudha's request about her child?
(a) She is annoyed.
(b) She is compliant.
(c) She is displeased.
(d) She is docile.
7. Why does Sudha think that she had a dream about Anju's son?
(a) As a sign that Anju is pregnant again.
(b) As a sign that Gouri is going to die soon.
(c) As a sign that Sudha should get married again.
(d) As a sign that Anju needs comforting.
8. What does Sudha name her daughter?
9. How does Sudha view Ramesh?
(a) As an ally.
(b) As a great love.
(c) As a stranger.
(d) As a romantic man.
10. What does Sudha's ring symbolize?
(a) The power of love.
(b) The transfer of power.
(c) The resistance of women in India.
(d) The happiness of a married woman.
11. Who initially tells Sudha that she has disgraced the family by leaving?
12. How does Sudha feel about her marriage?
(a) She is anxious that she is doing things poorly.
(b) She is embarrassed that she married a poor family.
(c) She is in love.
(d) She thinks that she fits in.
13. What will the mothers' house become?
(b) A market.
(c) A business complex.
(d) A shopping mall.
14. What is inside the brown packet from the mothers?
(a) A jewelry box.
(c) A credit card.
(d) A letter.
15. Pishi tells Sudha the mothers will pay for _____________.
(a) Her medical care.
(b) Her education.
(c) A new home for her and the baby.
(d) Her child's well-being.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anju thinks that Sunil has kept Sudha away so that ___________.
2. What do the girls learn is hereditary in the family?
3. What does Anju learn that she enjoys doing in America?
4. How does the novel end?
5. How does Sunil feel when he learns that Anju is pregnant?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)