|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sudha respond to Sudha's request about her child?
(a) She is displeased.
(b) She is docile.
(c) She is annoyed.
(d) She is compliant.
2. What does Sudha's mother-in-law begin to control?
(a) Doctor's appointments.
(b) Access to music and movies.
3. What is Sudah worried about for her child?
(a) She will be ridiculed for being a girl.
(b) She will grow up and have a good relationship with her father.
(c) She will grow up and resent her mother.
(d) She will grow up fatherless.
4. What do the girls learn is hereditary in the family?
(c) Brain defect.
(d) Eye disorder.
5. What does Anju learn that she enjoys doing in America?
(a) Being a mother.
(b) Creating quilts.
(d) Making her own money.
6. Where does Anju want to get a job?
(a) College library.
(b) Elementary school.
7. Why does the doctor say that Sudha is unable to get pregnant?
(a) There is no reason.
(b) She is unhealthy.
(c) She is not happy.
(d) She is not built to have babies.
8. The mothers warn Anju that she should do which of the following?
(a) Test the baby for a brain defect.
(b) Clean the house better.
(c) Give up her dreams.
(d) Be a better wife.
9. What is Anju's plan for Sudha and the baby?
(a) She wants them to move back in with the mothers.
(b) She wants them to stay with Sudha's husband's family.
(c) She wants them to come to America.
(d) She wants them to move to Europe.
10. What farewell gesture does Sudha give to Ashok?
(a) A kiss on the cheek.
(b) A hug.
(c) A handshake.
(d) A ring he gave her.
11. How does Sunil feel when he learns that Anju is pregnant?
12. Where does Sudha go so that she can talk to Anju privately?
(a) Doctor's office.
(b) Her bedroom.
(d) Post office.
13. Sudha thinks that Ramesh would not stand up for her against whom?
(a) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
14. Who initially tells Sudha that she has disgraced the family by leaving?
15. What view does most of Indian society have of divorce in the story?
(a) Divorce never occurs.
(b) Divorce is casual.
(c) Divorce is enlightening.
(d) Divorce is disgraceful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ramesh's aunt insulted __________.
2. What does Sudha believe she is giving up for her desire to have a baby?
3. What does Sudha ask for herself and her baby?
4. Why does Sudha's mother-in-law want her to have an abortion?
5. Anju is disappointed that Sunil does not act in what way?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)