|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pearl say is wrong with the narrator's mind?
2. Given that the Green Knight and Sir Gawain are alone, the Green Knight says they "can _________ as we like"?
3. What kind of weapon does the man come "from a hole" with?
4. What is the last word in "Pearl"?
5. After he finds out that the Green Knight knows his secret, what does Sir Gawain hold in his heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sir Gawain do with the silk belt on the morning he leaves for the Green Chapel?
2. What does "the lord" tell Sir Gawain will happen if he goes to the Green Chapel?
3. What does Pearl say happens to all whom enter the kingdom of God?
4. What happens when Sir Orfeo sees Lady Heurodis on horseback?
5. According to Chapter IV of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight," what is happening as New Year's draws near?
6. What does Lady Heurodis do to make everyone think that she is crazy?
7. Why do Sir Orfeo's grandparents possess the names that they do?
8. What happens when Sir Orfeo plays his harp in the woods?
9. What does Pearl say will happen if the narrator accepts God's plan for him?
10. What does Sir Gawain do on New Year's day as he rises?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The number three is highlighted in many different ways in the text. Discuss the use of the number three. In which instances is the number three used? What does its use represent in each circumstance? Why the number three?
Essay Topic 2
Scenery in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" is important. This is shown through the author's attention to detail. To what could the scenery in the text be compared to? Options: Sir Gawain's mental state, the conflict between Gawain and the Green Knight, etc. Support your answer textually paying special attention to a direct comparison between the scenery and the compared object or person.
Essay Topic 3
In "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" an internal battle seems to be played out: one of Pagan versus Christian belief. Do you believe that one religious belief is proven to be more important than the other, or do they work in alliance?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)