|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has God chosen Pearl to be?
2. How many knights does Sir Orfeo bring with him to see Lady Heurodis upon hearing about her condition?
3. How does the narrator of "Pearl" describe the forehead of the girl he wishes to call to?
4. What kind of cliff does the narrator of "Pearl" say "beams in splendour"?
5. What takes Lady Heurodis from the tree the knights are guarding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sir Gawain do with the silk belt on the morning he leaves for the Green Chapel?
2. What does Pearl say will happen if the narrator accepts God's plan for him?
3. Upon entering the faerie king's castle, what does Sir Orfeo see?
4. What happens when the Green Knight finally delivers his one blow to Sir Gawain?
5. Why does Sir Orfeo leave his kingdom with only a beggar's cloak?
6. According to Pearl, why has God called her?
7. Since losing the pearl, what has the "Pearl" narrator done?
8. Why is the narrator of "Pearl" so enamored with the pearl that he speaks of in the introduction?
9. Why does Pearl say that the narrator is not a gentle jeweler?
10. Describe the gown worn by Pearl.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character analysis on either Sir Gawain, the Green Knight, Pearl's father, or Sir Orfeo. What kind of character is he? What kind of characteristics does he display? In what ways do the individual's characteristics enable them to succeed at the challenges that they must face (or do they not possess the characteristics they need)?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is courtly love illustrated in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"? Begin by defining "courtly love." What is it? In what ways does the definition fit "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"? How is courtly love illustrated in the text?
Essay Topic 3
The role of women in each of the tales provide descriptions of powerful women who change the lives of the men around them. Discuss the role of the women in each of the texts. Why is the woman important? Why is her role important? How does she change the life of those around her?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)