|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pearl tell the narrator to do while in "weal and woe"?
2. When does the Green Knight accuse Sir Gawain of failing?
3. What must the narrator of "Pearl" do to get over his sorrow? (Stanza twenty-nine)
4. What does Sir Orfeo say he would rather lose than his wife?
5. How many damsels go to get Lady Heurodis and bring her back to the castle after her nap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sir Gawain do with the silk belt on the morning he leaves for the Green Chapel?
2. According to "Sir Orfeo," where did lays come from?
3. According to Chapter IV of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight," what is happening as New Year's draws near?
4. Upon entering the faerie king's castle, what does Sir Orfeo see?
5. Why does Pearl say that the narrator is not a gentle jeweler?
6. What does Sir Gawain do on New Year's day as he rises?
7. What does the "Pearl" narrator see at the base of the crystal cliff?
8. Describe the gown worn by Pearl.
9. Why does the Green Knight get angry at Sir Gawain when he delivers his first blow to Sir Gawain?
10. Why do Sir Orfeo's grandparents possess the names that they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is the supernatural highlighted in both "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" and "Sir Orfeo"? How are the illustrations of the supernatural similar? Is the use of the supernatural consistent within both texts? Which text takes the supernatural to a more extreme level? For what purpose does it serve?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is courtly love illustrated in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"? Begin by defining "courtly love." What is it? In what ways does the definition fit "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"? How is courtly love illustrated in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character analysis on either Sir Gawain, the Green Knight, Pearl's father, or Sir Orfeo. What kind of character is he? What kind of characteristics does he display? In what ways do the individual's characteristics enable them to succeed at the challenges that they must face (or do they not possess the characteristics they need)?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)