|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Lady Heurodis awakens from her nap under the tree?
2. How many damsels go to get Lady Heurodis and bring her back to the castle after her nap?
3. What does Christ "bade" the narrator of "Pearl" to do in stanza five?
4. Why does Sir Gawain refuse to heed "the lord's" advice?
5. What does Sir Gawain do at the Green Knight's first blow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Green Knight get angry at Sir Gawain when he delivers his first blow to Sir Gawain?
2. What does Lady Heurodis say happens while she is sleeping under a tree in the orchard?
3. Why do Sir Orfeo's grandparents possess the names that they do?
4. Why does Sir Orfeo leave his kingdom with only a beggar's cloak?
5. Why does Sir Gawain not heed the advice of "the lord"?
6. Why does Pearl say that the narrator is not a gentle jeweler?
7. What does Sir Gawain do with the silk belt on the morning he leaves for the Green Chapel?
8. What does "the lord" tell Sir Gawain will happen if he goes to the Green Chapel?
9. What does the "Pearl" narrator see at the base of the crystal cliff?
10. According to Pearl, why has God called her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character analysis on either Sir Gawain, the Green Knight, Pearl's father, or Sir Orfeo. What kind of character is he? What kind of characteristics does he display? In what ways do the individual's characteristics enable them to succeed at the challenges that they must face (or do they not possess the characteristics they need)?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is courtly love illustrated in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"? Begin by defining "courtly love." What is it? In what ways does the definition fit "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"? How is courtly love illustrated in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Chivalry is an important theme in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." Throughout the text, Sir Gawain faces internal conflicts that test his ability to remain chivalrous. What is the Code of Chivalry? Is Sir Gawain chivalrous? Find at least three examples to support your belief.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)