|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Sir Gawain's shield?
2. How many blasts do the hunters blow on their bugles to call the dogs to the hunt?
3. What type of dogs hunt on the first day's hunt?
4. What does Sir Gawain receive just before he leaves to find the Green Knight?
5. What image, other than the pentangle, does Sir Gawain have on his shield?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the night of the second hunt, what do "the lord" and Sir Gawain trade as their spoils?
2. What happens at the first baying of of the hounds during the first day of the hunt in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"?
3. What does Sir Gawain present "the lord" with on the night of the third hunt?
4. Instead of immediately answering the Green Knight's question regarding the lord of the castle, what does everyone do?
5. Why is the Green Knight surprised by the lack of response to his challenge?
6. Before he finds the castle of "the lord," what does Sir Gawain pray to Mary for?
7. What animal does "the lord" decree should not be harmed?
8. Why does "the lord" tell Sir Gawain that he does not need to leave for the Green Chapel so soon?
9. What kinds of foes does Sir Gawain come across on his quest to find the Green Knight?
10. Why does Sir Gawain refuse to tell "the lord" where he got his kiss from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Do they mirror each other in anyway? Or can they be seen as foils?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the action of the text taking place over the Christmas and New Year's holidays. Why does the action of the text take place at this time? What is important about each of the holidays in regard to the actions in the text? What do both holidays represent?
Essay Topic 3
Scenery in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" is important. This is shown through the author's attention to detail. To what could the scenery in the text be compared to? Options: Sir Gawain's mental state, the conflict between Gawain and the Green Knight, etc. Support your answer textually paying special attention to a direct comparison between the scenery and the compared object or person.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)