|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sir Gawain to meet the Green Knight to receive his own blow?
2. After the Green Knight tells Arthur's court of his challenge, what color do his eyes gleam?
3. Who is the host of the Christmas celebration at the opening of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight?
4. According to the creed, how many joys did the Queen of Heaven have of her Child?
5. On the third hunting day, what saint does Sir Gawain swear to that he holds no love for any woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangement do "the lord" and Sir Gawain make regarding the spoils of their days?
2. Why do people gather at Arthur's kingdom at the opening of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"?
3. What happens between Sir Gawain and "the lady" during the second day of the hunt?
4. What happens when the first course is served during the Christmas celebration in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"?
5. What two things does the Green Knight hold in his hands?
6. Before he finds the castle of "the lord," what does Sir Gawain pray to Mary for?
7. What do the guests at Arthur's do to gain the presents?
8. What does Sir Gawain present "the lord" with on the night of the third hunt?
9. What kinds of foes does Sir Gawain come across on his quest to find the Green Knight?
10. What happens when Sir Gawain enters "the lord's" castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Truth is a main theme in both "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" and "Pearl." Choose one of the texts and explain: 1) Why "truth" is so important and 2) How the message of truth is portrayed, and 3) If being truthful is the key to success.
Essay Topic 2
In "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" there is an overwhelming sense of the importance of imagery in its relation to constraint. The girdle, armor, and even food cause feelings of constraint. Discuss three specific constraints as detailed in the text. What is the object? Why is it considered a constraint? How does Sir Gawain succeed at destroying the constraint that the object produces?
Essay Topic 3
The central conflict which Gawain must deal with in his quest is the one between nature and humanity. Describe the conflict that Sir Gawain has with nature and humanity. Where does this conflict stem from? Why does the conflict exist? What does he do to resolve the conflict?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)