|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Green Knight tells Arthur's court of his challenge, what color do his eyes gleam?
2. After dressing, and before lunch, in Chapter III, where does Sir Gawain go?
(a) To "the lady's" bedchamber.
(b) To Mass.
(c) To the throneroom.
(d) To join the hunt.
3. Who is the second to volunteer to take the Green Knights challenge?
(a) Sir Alymere.
(b) Sir Lionell.
(c) Sir Lucan.
(d) Sir Gawain.
4. When he first enters Arthur's castle, what is the Green Knight holding in one of his hands?
(a) A green sword.
(b) A rose.
(c) A holly-bough.
(d) A green shield.
5. What encrusts the circlet on Sir Gawain's helmet?
Short Answer Questions
1. On the third hunting day, what does "the lady" wear upon her head?
2. What promise do Sir Gawain and "the lord" make before going to bed on the first day of the hunt?
3. At the opening of Chapter II of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, what color have the groves turned?
4. Who is the first person that Arthur addresses after the Green Knight leaves his castle beheaded?
5. Why does Sir Gawain refuse to tell "the lord" where his "spoils" came from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the first baying of of the hounds during the first day of the hunt in "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight"?
2. On the morning of the first hunt, what does "the lady" wish Sir Gawain to do?
3. On the night of the second hunt, what do "the lord" and Sir Gawain trade as their spoils?
4. Why does Sir Gawain believe that he has been able to make his journey instead of dying prior to finding the Green Chapel?
5. Describe the pentangle.
6. What does Sir Gawain do as "the lord" hunts?
7. Why does "the lord" tell Sir Gawain that he does not need to leave for the Green Chapel so soon?
8. How is the castle of "the lord" described?
9. Why does Sir Gawain refuse to tell "the lord" where he got his kiss from?
10. Before he finds the castle of "the lord," what does Sir Gawain pray to Mary for?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)