|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Sir Orfeo give his kingdom to?
(a) His steward.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His son.
(d) His jester.
2. When does the Green Knight accuse Sir Gawain of failing?
(a) The thrid day.
(b) On the day he left the castle.
(c) On the day he entered his castle.
(d) On the day he accepted the vow.
3. How does the narrator of "Pearl" describe the forehead of the girl he wishes to call to?
(a) Marble white.
(d) Polished ivory.
4. On an early May day, where does Lady Heurodis stroll?
(a) In an orchard.
(b) By a great river.
(c) Near the castle in among the olive vines.
(d) Through a field.
5. What month is it in stanza four of "Pearl"?
6. How many damsels go to get Lady Heurodis and bring her back to the castle after her nap?
7. Where does the narrator of "Sir Orfeo" say all of the lays "issued first"?
8. When the king comes to see Lady Heurodis under the tree, what is he crowned with?
(a) A crown of light.
(b) A crown of rubys.
(c) A crown of diamonds.
(d) A crown of emeralds.
9. What is the last word in "Pearl"?
10. When the Green Knight hesitates at his second blow, what does Sir Gawain call him?
(a) A "lusty man."
(b) A "coward."
(c) A "lusty fiend."
(d) A "lusty coward."
11. What is the first word that Sir Gawain hears as he approaches the chapel?
12. What does the narrator of "Pearl" say came "in secret hour"?
(a) The sweetest song.
(b) A golden maiden.
(c) A new pearl.
(d) A whispering wind.
13. What does Sir Gawain ask the Green Knight to "restrain thee to"?
(d) One stroke.
14. What does the narrator's "precious pearl" fail to have?
(c) A "spot."
(d) "Sin. "
15. What does the Green Knight say Sir Gawain wears of his?
(a) His "weed."
(b) His "hue."
(c) His "color."
(d) His "bind."
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sir Gawain finds an old cavern, covered in green patches, who does he say lives there?
2. What kind of weapon does the man come "from a hole" with?
3. How does Sir Orfeo say that Lady Heurodis looks at him, while he is standing next to her bed?
4. When was the last time that Sir Gawain was as happy as he is the moment he realizes he is alive?
5. What does "the lord" say he would not take to accompany Sir Gawain to the Green Chapel?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)