|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the king take Lady Heurodis to before telling her to be at the tree the following day?
(a) A cavern.
(b) His castle.
(c) A river.
2. What does the Green Knight gather in his limbs as he lifts the axe?
3. Where does Sir Orfeo's father "come" from?
(a) King Mars.
(b) King Orion.
(c) King Jupiter.
(d) King Pluto.
4. According to "Sir Orfeo," what do most men sing about?
5. How many knights does the "king" bring with him after Lady Heurodis refuses to see him?
(d) Over a hundred.
6. What is the last word in "Pearl"?
7. Who does Sir Gawain say he wishes to watch over "the lord's" castle as he leaves?
(a) S. Peter.
(b) The Round Table.
8. Where does Sir Orfeo hide during bad weather?
(a) In an abandoned hut.
(b) In a tree.
(c) In a wagon.
(d) In a cave.
9. What does Sir Gawain do at the Green Knight's first blow?
(a) Prays to Mary.
(b) Falls to the ground.
(d) Prays to God.
10. What does Pearl tell the narrator to do while in "weal and woe"?
(a) Pity himself.
(b) Cry out in anger.
(c) Fall down and cry.
(d) Cross himself.
11. What does Sir Gawain call the "chapel"?
(a) Chapel of sin.
(b) Chapel of mischance.
(c) Chapel of misfortune.
(d) Chapel of evil.
12. When does the Green Knight accuse Sir Gawain of failing?
(a) The thrid day.
(b) On the day he accepted the vow.
(c) On the day he left the castle.
(d) On the day he entered his castle.
13. What must the narrator of "Pearl" do to get over his sorrow? (Stanza twenty-nine)
(a) Forget her.
(b) Steal her back.
(d) Abide his doom.
14. What does Sir Gawain say feels the "Fiend 'tis himself"?
(a) His heart.
(b) His five wits.
(c) His sword.
(d) His loins.
15. What jewel does the Green Knight say is the most highly prized?
(a) The ruby.
(b) The emerald.
(c) The pearl.
(d) The diamond.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the king comes to see Lady Heurodis under the tree, what is he crowned with?
2. Who is the Queen of Courtesy?
3. How does the narrator of "Pearl" describe the forehead of the girl he wishes to call to?
4. After "the lord" leaves Sir Gawain to find the Green Chapel, who does Sir Gawain say he has the protection of?
5. What does Sir Orfeo say has torn Lady Heurodis's face?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)