|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month is it in stanza four of "Pearl"?
2. While the narrator of "Pearl" stares at the girl, what does he compare himself to?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A bear.
(c) An owl.
(d) A snake.
3. What does Sir Orfeo say has torn Lady Heurodis's face?
(a) Heavens hands.
(c) Cruel nails.
(d) Birds claws.
4. What does the narrator's "precious pearl" fail to have?
(b) A "spot."
(c) "Sin. "
5. How many damsels go to get Lady Heurodis and bring her back to the castle after her nap?
6. What kind of wound does Sir Gawain receive from the Green Knight's "hammer-swing" blow?
(a) A "snick."
(b) A "nict."
(c) A "scrapt."
(d) A "scrapee."
7. In the third stanza of "Pearl," what color do blossoms pale?
(a) Yellow and green.
(b) Blue and red.
(c) White and blue.
(d) Violet and yellow.
8. How does the narrator of "Pearl" describe the forehead of the girl he wishes to call to?
(b) Marble white.
(d) Polished ivory.
9. Why does Sir Gawain refuse to heed "the lord's" advice?
(a) He would be seen as a coward.
(b) He pays all debts.
(c) He has a secret.
(d) He has already taken too much from "the lord".
10. What happens as Lady Heurodis awakens from her nap under the tree?
(a) She wrings her hands.
(b) All of these listed.
(c) She goes mad.
(d) She cries.
11. What does the narrator of "Pearl" call himself in stanza twenty-one?
(a) Void victim.
(b) Sorrowful sinner.
(c) Joyless jeweler.
(d) Forelorn father.
12. How many knights came to see Lady Heurodis as she slept beneath the tree?
13. On an early May day, where does Lady Heurodis stroll?
(a) Through a field.
(b) In an orchard.
(c) Near the castle in among the olive vines.
(d) By a great river.
14. What does Sir Gawain do at the Green Knight's first blow?
(a) Falls to the ground.
(b) Prays to Mary.
(c) Prays to God.
15. Who sings of "many a marvelous thing" in line three of "Sir Orfeo"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sir Gawain call to on the morning of his departure from "the lord's" castle to fetch his saddle?
2. Where does the king take Lady Heurodis to before telling her to be at the tree the following day?
3. What does "the lord" say he would not take to accompany Sir Gawain to the Green Chapel?
4. Where does Pearl say is wrong with the narrator's mind?
5. What does Sir Gawain ask the Green Knight to "deal" him?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)