|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What jewel does the Green Knight say is the most highly prized?
(a) The emerald.
(b) The diamond.
(c) The ruby.
(d) The pearl.
2. What does the Green Knight say Sir Gawain wears of his?
(a) His "bind."
(b) His "hue."
(c) His "weed."
(d) His "color."
3. What month is it in stanza four of "Pearl"?
4. What city is described in "Sir Orfeo" as "a city proud of stout defense"?
5. What does Sir Orfeo do that brings all of the animals around him?
(d) Plays his harp.
6. Why does the narrator of "Pearl" say that "I dared not wade"?
(a) The water is too deep.
(b) The water is too black.
(c) The water beckons too eagerly.
(d) The water is too swift.
7. Where does Pearl say is wrong with the narrator's mind?
(a) He is going mad.
(b) He is too forgetful.
(c) He is remembering wrong.
(d) He lost his mind when he lost his pearl.
8. In stanza ten of "Pearl," what does the narrator say fills the pool?
(b) Reflections of fall.
(d) Withered leaves.
9. When Sir Gawain bends in front of the Green Knight to bear his neck, what sign does he refrain from showing?
10. When Sir Gawain finds an old cavern, covered in green patches, who does he say lives there?
(a) The Devil.
(b) The Green Knight.
11. What color are the horses that the king and all of his court ride on to come to see Lady Heurodis while she rests under the tree?
12. According to stanza nineteen of "Pearl," what was unable to declare the girl's beauty?
13. After "the lord" leaves Sir Gawain to find the Green Chapel, who does Sir Gawain say he has the protection of?
(b) "The Lady."
14. Who sings of "many a marvelous thing" in line three of "Sir Orfeo"?
15. Where does the narrator say that Paradise is in stanza twelve of "Pearl"?
(a) "Across a divide too far to bear."
(b) "Across those banks was yonder laid."
(c) "Here, now, I am in it."
(d) "Too far to be close."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Gawain have in his hand as he approaches the roof of the dwelling?
2. What does "the lord" tell Sir Gawain that the Green Knight knows nothing about?
3. What has God chosen Pearl to be?
4. What does Sir Gawain say feels the "Fiend 'tis himself"?
5. Given that the Green Knight and Sir Gawain are alone, the Green Knight says they "can _________ as we like"?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)