|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What jewel does the Green Knight say is the most highly prized?
(a) The diamond.
(b) The pearl.
(c) The ruby.
(d) The emerald.
2. What saint does Pearl quote in stanza thirty-nine?
3. What has God chosen Pearl to be?
(a) His keeper.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His bride.
(d) His highest angel.
4. What does Sir Gawain do at the Green Knight's first blow?
(a) Falls to the ground.
(b) Prays to God.
(d) Prays to Mary.
5. On an early May day, where does Lady Heurodis stroll?
(a) In an orchard.
(b) Near the castle in among the olive vines.
(c) Through a field.
(d) By a great river.
6. Given that the Green Knight and Sir Gawain are alone, the Green Knight says they "can _________ as we like"?
7. Where does Sir Orfeo hide during bad weather?
(a) In a tree.
(b) In an abandoned hut.
(c) In a wagon.
(d) In a cave.
8. What does the narrator of "Pearl" call himself in stanza twenty-one?
(a) Sorrowful sinner.
(b) Void victim.
(c) Joyless jeweler.
(d) Forelorn father.
9. When Sir Gawain bends in front of the Green Knight to bear his neck, what sign does he refrain from showing?
10. Who does Sir Gawain say he wishes to watch over "the lord's" castle as he leaves?
(a) The Round Table.
(c) S. Peter.
11. How many damsels go to get Lady Heurodis and bring her back to the castle after her nap?
12. What does "the lord" say he would not take to accompany Sir Gawain to the Green Chapel?
(a) All the women of the lands.
(b) All the lands of the earth.
(c) All the gold in the world.
(d) All the power in heaven.
13. Where does Pearl say is wrong with the narrator's mind?
(a) He is too forgetful.
(b) He is going mad.
(c) He lost his mind when he lost his pearl.
(d) He is remembering wrong.
14. What does the narrator's "precious pearl" fail to have?
(c) A "spot."
(d) "Sin. "
15. What does Pearl tell the narrator to do while in "weal and woe"?
(a) Cross himself.
(b) Fall down and cry.
(c) Pity himself.
(d) Cry out in anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cliff does the narrator of "Pearl" say "beams in splendour"?
2. How many knights does the "king" bring with him after Lady Heurodis refuses to see him?
3. In the third stanza of "Pearl," what color do blossoms pale?
4. What does "the lord" tell Sir Gawain to do instead of go to the Green Chapel?
5. How many knights came to see Lady Heurodis as she slept beneath the tree?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)