|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Pearl" describe the forehead of the girl he wishes to call to?
(a) Marble white.
(b) Polished ivory.
2. What does Sir Orfeo say has torn Lady Heurodis's face?
(a) Heavens hands.
(c) Birds claws.
(d) Cruel nails.
3. On an early May day, where does Lady Heurodis stroll?
(a) In an orchard.
(b) Through a field.
(c) Near the castle in among the olive vines.
(d) By a great river.
4. What does Sir Orfeo say he would rather lose than his wife?
(a) His child.
(b) His kingdom.
(c) His life.
(d) His wealth.
5. Who is Juno?
(a) King of love.
(b) King of fear.
(c) King of fame.
(d) King of misery.
6. What must the narrator of "Pearl" do to get over his sorrow? (Stanza twenty-nine)
(a) Forget her.
(c) Steal her back.
(d) Abide his doom.
7. How many damsels go to get Lady Heurodis and bring her back to the castle after her nap?
8. What type of food is the narrator of "Pearl" fed in stanza eight?
9. What does the narrator's "precious pearl" fail to have?
(b) A "spot."
(d) "Sin. "
10. What kind of wound does Sir Gawain receive from the Green Knight's "hammer-swing" blow?
(a) A "scrapee."
(b) A "scrapt."
(c) A "nict."
(d) A "snick."
11. What does Sir Gawain have in his hand as he approaches the roof of the dwelling?
(a) A cross.
(b) His sword.
(c) The axe.
(d) His lance.
12. What does "the lord" tell Sir Gawain that the Green Knight knows nothing about?
13. What is the first word that Sir Gawain hears as he approaches the chapel?
14. What does Sir Gawain call the "chapel"?
(a) Chapel of mischance.
(b) Chapel of evil.
(c) Chapel of misfortune.
(d) Chapel of sin.
15. What does the narrator of "Pearl" say came "in secret hour"?
(a) A new pearl.
(b) A whispering wind.
(c) The sweetest song.
(d) A golden maiden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Orfeo do that brings all of the animals around him?
2. What does the "Pearl" narrator say "was present, I did surmise"?
3. Where does Sir Orfeo immediately go after hearing that Lady Heurodis is gone?
4. What is the only thing that Sir Orfeo takes with him on his journey?
5. In stanza ten of "Pearl," what does the narrator say fills the pool?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)