|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flies out from the Green Knight's horse's hooves as the Green Knight rode out of Arthur's castle?
(c) Green liquid.
(d) Green dust.
2. For how many days do the Christmas feasts take place?
3. What is another name for the pentangle?
(a) Electrum Magicum.
(b) The endless-knot.
(d) The five points.
4. Who is the first person that Arthur addresses after the Green Knight leaves his castle beheaded?
(a) Queen Guinevere.
(b) Sir Gawain.
(c) The guards.
5. What does Sir Gawain receive just before he leaves to find the Green Knight?
6. What promise do Sir Gawain and "the lord" make before going to bed on the first day of the hunt?
(a) They promise to triple their spoils.
(b) They promise to double their spoils.
(c) They make the same promise as before.
(d) They promise to keep their spoils.
7. What does Sir Gawain give to "the lady" as a gift to ease her mourning?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A silken scarf.
(c) A coin.
(d) He has nothing to give her.
8. During the second day's hunt, what animal do the dogs chase from the bushes?
(a) A boar.
(b) An elk.
(c) A fox.
(d) A doe.
9. When he first enters Arthur's castle, what is the Green Knight holding in one of his hands?
(a) A green shield.
(b) A rose.
(c) A holly-bough.
(d) A green sword.
10. According to the narrator of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight," how many hunters went out on the first hunting day?
11. Whom does "the lord" say will sit with Sir Gawain while he is away?
(a) His best knight.
(b) His advisor.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
12. Who volunteers to take the Green Knights challenge first?
(a) Sir Bleoberis.
(b) Sir Lancelot.
(d) Sir Galahad.
13. What kind of portion is served to the noble guests given the coming of the new year?
14. What is the name of the lord whose castle Sir Gawain arrives at after praying to the Blessed Virgin?
(c) He gives no name.
15. What is wound around the Green Knight's axe handle?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Green Knight tells Arthur's court of his challenge, what color do his eyes gleam?
2. According to the Green Knight, when will the challenging knight receive his strikes?
3. What happens to the Green Knight's axe after he leaves Arthur's castle beheaded?
4. What image, other than the pentangle, does Sir Gawain have on his shield?
5. When does the Green Knight request to receive his blow?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)