|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Chicane," what nationality is the actor who is in a film the narrator goes to see?
2. In "The Chicane," How did Lauryn and Macario meet ?
3. How does the narrator clean cages in "A Full Service Shelter"?
4. In in "I Stay with Syd," when will the preview film be in theaters that Syd and the narrator see?
5. How many police cars show up when Syd, the narrator, and others have to leave the theater, in "I Stay with Syd"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator treat the death-row dogs?
2. Why does the narrator worry in "I Stay with Syd"?
3. What does the narrator say about cleaning cages?
4. In "Sing to It," what does the man want and what does he get?
5. Why do Syd and the narrator have to leave the theater before the movie is over, in "I Stay with Syd"?
6. At the beginning of "I Stay with Syd," what does the narrator say about Syd's married man?
7. How does the narrator describe Mrs. Greed?
8. What are the dolls like in the "Doll Tornado"?
9. What does the narrator know about being angry about the affair in "Greed"?
10. Why did Lauryn try to commit suicide in Madrid, and why did she survive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The protagonist in a story is the hero, and the antagonist is the person who usually causes the most conflicts for the protagonist. In “A Full Service Shelter,” is there more than one protagonist or antagonist? What conflicts does the protagonist have to deal with that is caused by the antagonist? How do those conflicts affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing in literature hints at what will happen in a story. What instances of foreshadowing are there in “Cloudland”? What does foreshadowing reveal? How does the author use foreshadowing and how does it affect plot?
Essay Topic 3
In “Cloudland,” some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)