|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Virginie dies, what does Félicité do every day?
2. When Mme. Aubain is finally able to go through Virginie's things, what does she find in the cupboard?
3. Why does Félicité think that her illness makes sense?
4. What remedy was attempted to relieve Mme. Aubain's difficulty breathing?
5. Who leaves town after Virginie dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationship with Theodore seems relatively minor in the context of the overall narrative. Why do you think Flaubert chose to include it? How does knowing that about FÃ©licitÃ© alter our perception of her throughout the rest of the story? You should discuss at least three ways in which our perception of FÃ©licitÃ© is affected by her failed relationship with Theodore.
Essay Topic 2
In this text, the sacred is frequently paired with the worldly. This is certainly true in FÃ©licitÃ©'s room and in her religious impressions, but there are also traces of it elsewhere. Where else can you see this mix of the religious and the secular? What do you think Flaubert might have meant by it? Be sure to support your analysis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Mme. Aubain frequently functions as a foil for FÃ©licitÃ©. Find several examples of this in the text and consider how Flaubert uses Mme. Aubain to draw attention to various aspects of FÃ©licitÃ©'s character.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)