|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Félicité that the house is for sale?
2. What or who does Félicité begin to associate with the parrot?
3. How does Félicité meet her Polish suitor?
4. What sends Félicité into ecstasies?
5. How does Mme. Aubain deal with her grief when Virginie goes away to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mme. Aubain and FÃ©licitÃ©'s reactions to Virginie's death. How do their reactions fit in with their characters in general?
Essay Topic 2
Mme. Aubain frequently functions as a foil for FÃ©licitÃ©. Find several examples of this in the text and consider how Flaubert uses Mme. Aubain to draw attention to various aspects of FÃ©licitÃ©'s character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolic significance of the parrot? Review the parrots role in the story and create an argument that describes how the parrot functions symbolically in "A Simple Heart." As always, be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)