|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mme. Aubain dream of after Virignie's death?
2. What do Mme. Aubain and Félicité spread out on the bed when they are going through Virginie's things?
3. How does the narrator describe Félicité's room?
4. What does Félicité finally die of?
5. Why doesn't Félicité have any repairs done to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most crucial moment in FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationship with Mme. Aubain is when the two of them embrace. Analyze this scene and FÃ©licitÃ©'s reaction to the experience. How does this change her relationship with Mme. Aubain? Why is it so important to FÃ©licitÃ©? What impact does it have on the story generally?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationship to religion and the divine. You might consider in particular the ways in which she seeks to draw literal relationships between descriptions and stories of God, or the divine and her literal earthly world. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The scene of FÃ©licitÃ©'s death juxtaposes her personal experience and a very public religious celebration. Consider why Flaubert chose to represent her death in this context. How does the procession impact the way we read and understand FÃ©licitÃ©'s passing?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)