|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Félicité feel when she remembers Loulou's life?
2. Who moves to Pont-l'Eveque shortly Virginie dies?
3. Why does Félicité think that her illness makes sense?
4. Why does Félicité feel it is wrong for Mme. Aubain to die before her?
5. What prevents Félicité from being able to see Loulou before her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationship with her sister and her sister's family. Taking into account both their treatment of her and hers of them, what do FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationships with her family tell us about her character? Be sure to include her relationships with both Victor and her sister.
Essay Topic 2
The scene of FÃ©licitÃ©'s death juxtaposes her personal experience and a very public religious celebration. Consider why Flaubert chose to represent her death in this context. How does the procession impact the way we read and understand FÃ©licitÃ©'s passing?
Essay Topic 3
In this text, the sacred is frequently paired with the worldly. This is certainly true in FÃ©licitÃ©'s room and in her religious impressions, but there are also traces of it elsewhere. Where else can you see this mix of the religious and the secular? What do you think Flaubert might have meant by it? Be sure to support your analysis with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)