|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul decide to do after he gets a job in the Registry Office?
2. After Virginie dies, what does Félicité do every day?
3. What event occurs while Mme. Aubain and Félicité are going through Virginie's room that engenders a deep sense of devotion in Félicité toward Mme. Aubain?
4. What causes Félicité to catch tonsillitis?
5. What news does Félicité receive in a letter that Mme. Aubain reads to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolic significance of the parrot? Review the parrots role in the story and create an argument that describes how the parrot functions symbolically in "A Simple Heart." As always, be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Flaubert is a critical figure in the literary movement called Realism, in which authors attempted to tell a story that mimics life as it actually is. To what extent is "A Simple Heart" realistic? Is FÃ©licitÃ© a realistic character? In what ways would you answer yes and in what ways no? Do you think that realism is an attainable goal for a piece of literature?
Essay Topic 3
There are several instances of classism in this novel, especially between Mme. Aubain and FÃ©licitÃ©, but also between others; for example, between M. Bourais and FÃ©licitÃ©. Using specific examples from the text, consider the way that the narrator treats these instances and whether or not there is an implicit or overt commentary on the subject. Does the text pass a judgment on classist behavior or is it a straightforward depiction of the existence of classism?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)