|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Félicité's room?
2. When Mme. Aubain is finally able to go through Virginie's things, what does she find in the cupboard?
3. What does Paul decide to do after he gets a job in the Registry Office?
4. Why does Félicité think that the Holy Spirit was more likely to have been a parrot than a dove?
5. What is the rumor about Colmiche?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the tone of the narrator in this story. Does the narrative guide your interpretations of events or is it a neutral voice? If you argue that it does, how? If you argue that it doesn't, how does it avoid commentary?
Essay Topic 2
The most crucial moment in FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationship with Mme. Aubain is when the two of them embrace. Analyze this scene and FÃ©licitÃ©'s reaction to the experience. How does this change her relationship with Mme. Aubain? Why is it so important to FÃ©licitÃ©? What impact does it have on the story generally?
Essay Topic 3
The procession of Corpus Christi recurs in this story and is a critical aspect of the imagery in the final chapter. In what ways does the significance of this particular celebration relate to the important themes in this story? You should definitely consider how it might mirror FÃ©licitÃ©'s understanding of religion, but you may also consider and discuss any other relationships that strike you. Be sure to refer to specific examples from the text in your analysis.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)