|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Félicité consider doing shortly after she gets Loulou back?
2. What does Félicité take as a keepsake from among Virginie's things?
3. What event occurs while Mme. Aubain and Félicité are going through Virginie's room that engenders a deep sense of devotion in Félicité toward Mme. Aubain?
4. What gift does Mme. Aubain receive from Mme. de Larsonniere?
5. What emotion does Félicité feel when she remembers Loulou's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationship with her sister and her sister's family. Taking into account both their treatment of her and hers of them, what do FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationships with her family tell us about her character? Be sure to include her relationships with both Victor and her sister.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbolism and meaning of FÃ©licitÃ©'s final vision. You should draw on passages from earlier in the novel to interpret the final vision. You should definitely consider the symbolism of the parrot. You might also consider the role that Loulou played in FÃ©licitÃ©'s life, her relationship to religion, her conception of the divine that is receiving her, the procession of Corpus Christi that is occurring as she has her vision, or any other things that you believe to be relevant.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, FÃ©licitÃ© assumes a maternal role in several of her relationships. The most prominent examples are Virginie, Victor, and Loulou, but there are, arguably, other examples. Choose at least three people (or animals) that FÃ©licitÃ© develops a maternal affection for and compare them. How does this comparison reflect on FÃ©licitÃ©? Does there seem to be a larger message implicit in this theme?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)