|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mme. Aubain and Félicité spread out on the bed when they are going through Virginie's things?
2. What does Paul decide to do after he gets a job in the Registry Office?
3. What event occurs while Mme. Aubain and Félicité are going through Virginie's room that engenders a deep sense of devotion in Félicité toward Mme. Aubain?
4. What does Mme. Aubain do for the first few months after Virginie dies?
5. Who comes by to chop wood and draw water for Félicité?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances of classism in this novel, especially between Mme. Aubain and FÃ©licitÃ©, but also between others; for example, between M. Bourais and FÃ©licitÃ©. Using specific examples from the text, consider the way that the narrator treats these instances and whether or not there is an implicit or overt commentary on the subject. Does the text pass a judgment on classist behavior or is it a straightforward depiction of the existence of classism?
Essay Topic 2
FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationship with Theodore seems relatively minor in the context of the overall narrative. Why do you think Flaubert chose to include it? How does knowing that about FÃ©licitÃ© alter our perception of her throughout the rest of the story? You should discuss at least three ways in which our perception of FÃ©licitÃ© is affected by her failed relationship with Theodore.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the tone of the narrator in this story. Does the narrative guide your interpretations of events or is it a neutral voice? If you argue that it does, how? If you argue that it doesn't, how does it avoid commentary?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)