|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does M. Bourais bring for the children?
2. What is Félicité's first job when she starts working for Mme. Aubain?
3. What is unusual about the floors in Mme. Aubain's house?
4. When the family rests in the field, what does Paul do?
5. Who does Félicité hear Liebard talk about from her past?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some examples of times when Félicité has been abused or disregarded? Describe them and explain how she is being treated poorly.
2. How does Mme. Aubain respond to Félicité's reunion with her lost sister?
3. What objects stand out in Félicité's collection of objects and what relationships can you find between them?
4. Describe the impression that the narrator gives you of Mme. Aubain's house.
5. At the beginning of the story, what does the narrator tell us about Mme. Aubain's history?
6. To what extent would you say that this story is about Félicité? What do you think Flaubert wanted to say by writing a short story about a person like Félicité?
7. Why do you think Félicité's reaction to Virginie's first communion is so much more powerful than her reaction to her own first communion?
8. Why does Mme. Simon nurse Félicité as she is dying?
9. What do we learn about Félicité through her relationship with Theodore?
10. How does the narrator describe the woman to whom Paul is engaged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationship to religion and the divine. You might consider in particular the ways in which she seeks to draw literal relationships between descriptions and stories of God, or the divine and her literal earthly world. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mme. Aubain and FÃ©licitÃ©'s reactions to Virginie's death. How do their reactions fit in with their characters in general?
Essay Topic 3
Mme. Aubain frequently functions as a foil for FÃ©licitÃ©. Find several examples of this in the text and consider how Flaubert uses Mme. Aubain to draw attention to various aspects of FÃ©licitÃ©'s character.
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)