|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Félicité's family stay on their first visit?
2. How does Félicité feel after her heroic event?
3. What is Félicité's first job as a girl?
4. How is Mme. Aubain's husband described?
5. How does Félicité lose her first job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Flaubert has Félicité run all the way to say goodbye to Victor only to miss him at the last?
2. Why do you think Félicité is hurt by people's jokes about Loulou?
3. How does Félicité begin to confuse or associate the parrot with the Holy Spirit?
4. What do you think Félicité means when she says of Victor's death that "'It doesn't matter a bit, not to them it doesn't'"?
5. What do we learn about Félicité's eating habits and what do they tell us about her character?
6. What is the irony of Félicité's long search for Loulou?
7. How does the narrator describe the woman to whom Paul is engaged?
8. Does it seem surprising that Félicité's voice is shrill? Why do you think this detail is included in her description?
9. How does Félicité understand the Holy Spirit?
10. What are some examples of times when Félicité has been abused or disregarded? Describe them and explain how she is being treated poorly.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Flaubert is a critical figure in the literary movement called Realism, in which authors attempted to tell a story that mimics life as it actually is. To what extent is "A Simple Heart" realistic? Is FÃ©licitÃ© a realistic character? In what ways would you answer yes and in what ways no? Do you think that realism is an attainable goal for a piece of literature?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolic significance of the parrot? Review the parrots role in the story and create an argument that describes how the parrot functions symbolically in "A Simple Heart." As always, be sure to include specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Mme. Aubain frequently functions as a foil for FÃ©licitÃ©. Find several examples of this in the text and consider how Flaubert uses Mme. Aubain to draw attention to various aspects of FÃ©licitÃ©'s character.
This section contains 1,473 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)