|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as the despair of the other housemaids?
2. Where is Mme. Aubain's house located?
3. What gift does M. Bourais bring for the children?
4. What decoration is prominent in Mme. Aubain's bedroom?
5. Who looks after the management of Mme. Aubain's property?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Félicité understand the Holy Spirit?
2. What is your impression of Mme. Simon?
3. Why do you think the narrator conceals the real cause of Loulou's death?
4. Why do you think that it struck Félicité as wrong that Mme. Aubain should die before she did?
5. Why do you think Flaubert has Félicité run all the way to say goodbye to Victor only to miss him at the last?
6. Describe and provide an analysis of Mme. Aubain's reaction when Félicité tells her that she hasn't heard from Victor in six months.
7. What do we learn about Félicité through her relationship with Theodore?
8. Does it seem important that Félicité asks Fabu's forgiveness before she dies?
9. Explain the irony of Félicité's dismissal from her first job.
10. To what extent would you say that this story is about Félicité? What do you think Flaubert wanted to say by writing a short story about a person like Félicité?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mme. Aubain and FÃ©licitÃ©'s reactions to Virginie's death. How do their reactions fit in with their characters in general?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the tone of the narrator in this story. Does the narrative guide your interpretations of events or is it a neutral voice? If you argue that it does, how? If you argue that it doesn't, how does it avoid commentary?
Essay Topic 3
Mme. Aubain frequently functions as a foil for FÃ©licitÃ©. Find several examples of this in the text and consider how Flaubert uses Mme. Aubain to draw attention to various aspects of FÃ©licitÃ©'s character.
This section contains 1,755 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)