|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is piled on the piano?
2. What does the clock in the living room look like?
3. Why does the family move back home?
4. Where is Mme. Aubain's house located?
5. What does Virginie wear to bathe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does it seem surprising that Félicité's voice is shrill? Why do you think this detail is included in her description?
2. How does Flaubert choose to describe the procession of Corpus Christi and Félicité's death? What affect does this have?
3. Do you think that Félicité's final vision is religious or delusional? Does it matter?
4. Why do you think Félicité never talks about how worried she feels for Victor?
5. What are some examples of times when Félicité has been abused or disregarded? Describe them and explain how she is being treated poorly.
6. How does Félicité feel about Loulou before she begins to go deaf? How do you know?
7. How does Mme. Aubain respond to Félicité's reunion with her lost sister?
8. What is the irony of Félicité's long search for Loulou?
9. What is your impression of Mme. Simon?
10. Explain the irony of Félicité's dismissal from her first job.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mme. Aubain and FÃ©licitÃ©'s reactions to Virginie's death. How do their reactions fit in with their characters in general?
Essay Topic 2
In this text, the sacred is frequently paired with the worldly. This is certainly true in FÃ©licitÃ©'s room and in her religious impressions, but there are also traces of it elsewhere. Where else can you see this mix of the religious and the secular? What do you think Flaubert might have meant by it? Be sure to support your analysis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Virginie and Victor. FÃ©licitÃ© considers them to share the same place in her heart. What similarities of character and situation contribute to this sense for the reader? What differences distinguish them?
This section contains 2,483 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)