|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Félicité's first job when she starts working for Mme. Aubain?
2. What food item lasted Félicité 20 days?
3. Where is Trouville situated in the landscape?
4. What does the clock in the living room look like?
5. On nice days, where do Félicité and the Aubain family go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Félicité is hurt by people's jokes about Loulou?
2. What is your impression of Mme. Simon?
3. How is it significant that the parrot is being eaten by maggots, but Félicité neither knows nor cares?
4. Describe the impression that the narrator gives you of Mme. Aubain's house.
5. On the way to Trouville, Félicité overhears Liebard talking about the woman that Theodore left her to marry, but she does not hear the end of the story. What, if any, function does this have in the story?
6. How is Félicité introduced to the reader in the first chapter?
7. At the beginning of the story, what does the narrator tell us about Mme. Aubain's history?
8. Félicité's service for Mme. Aubain is described with some detail. What kind of an impression does Félicité's service give of Mme. Aubain?
9. Do you think it's significant that Félicité misses Virginie's death because she goes back to lock up in case of thieves?
10. Why does Mme. Simon nurse Félicité as she is dying?
Essay Topic 1
The procession of Corpus Christi recurs in this story and is a critical aspect of the imagery in the final chapter. In what ways does the significance of this particular celebration relate to the important themes in this story? You should definitely consider how it might mirror FÃ©licitÃ©'s understanding of religion, but you may also consider and discuss any other relationships that strike you. Be sure to refer to specific examples from the text in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
FÃ©licitÃ©'s relationship with Theodore seems relatively minor in the context of the overall narrative. Why do you think Flaubert chose to include it? How does knowing that about FÃ©licitÃ© alter our perception of her throughout the rest of the story? You should discuss at least three ways in which our perception of FÃ©licitÃ© is affected by her failed relationship with Theodore.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mme. Aubain and FÃ©licitÃ©'s reactions to Virginie's death. How do their reactions fit in with their characters in general?
This section contains 2,531 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)