|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Félicité's first job when she starts working for Mme. Aubain?
(b) Dairy maid.
(d) Lady's maid.
2. What kind of a wage does Félicité earn?
3. On nice days, where do Félicité and the Aubain family go?
(a) To the farm at Geffosses.
(b) To the city gardens.
(c) To the baths.
(d) To picnic at the Rhine.
4. Why does the family move back home?
(a) Virginie's cough resumed.
(b) Mme. Aubain missed her house.
(c) Félicité had to return to tend to seasonal work.
(d) Paul needed to prepare to leave for school.
5. How many properties does Mme. Aubain still own?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the floors in Mme. Aubain's house?
2. Why does Mme. Aubain have to sell the majority of her properties?
3. When the family rests in the field, what does Paul do?
4. What does Mme. Aubain think of Félicité's family?
5. How is Félicité's voice described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Think back on the story as a whole. What do you think is the major theme and why?
2. Why do you think Mme. Aubain shakes slightly when she sees Félicité respond to the news of her nephew's death?
3. Do you think it's significant that Félicité misses Virginie's death because she goes back to lock up in case of thieves?
4. How does the narrator describe the woman to whom Paul is engaged?
5. Why do you think Félicité's reaction to Virginie's first communion is so much more powerful than her reaction to her own first communion?
6. Why do you think Flaubert has Félicité run all the way to say goodbye to Victor only to miss him at the last?
7. Why does Mme. Simon nurse Félicité as she is dying?
8. Félicité's service for Mme. Aubain is described with some detail. What kind of an impression does Félicité's service give of Mme. Aubain?
9. At the beginning of the story, what does the narrator tell us about Mme. Aubain's history?
10. How do Félicité and Mme. Aubain react to Virginie's death?
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)