|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last thing Félicité does before going to sleep?
(a) Cover the fire with ashes.
(b) Read her bible.
(c) Write a letter to her sister.
2. Who reads to Félicité for the first time in her life?
(a) Mme. Aubain.
(b) M. Bourais.
3. Which relative of Mme. Aubain's frequently comes to visit?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her nephew.
(d) Her brother.
4. What kind of a wage does Félicité earn?
5. What particularly bothered Mme. Aubain about the way that Félicité's family behaved?
(a) Their clothing and appearance.
(b) Their accent.
(c) The familiar way that Félicité's sister spoke to Mme. Aubain.
(d) The familiar way that Félicité's nephew spoke to Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is placed against the wainscoting in the living room?
2. Why does Mme. Aubain have to sell the majority of her properties?
3. What decoration is prominent in Mme. Aubain's bedroom?
4. Where is Trouville situated in the landscape?
5. What is unusual about the children's beds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it's significant that Félicité misses Virginie's death because she goes back to lock up in case of thieves?
2. How does Mme. Aubain respond to Félicité's reunion with her lost sister?
3. Why do you think Félicité's reaction to Virginie's first communion is so much more powerful than her reaction to her own first communion?
4. What objects stand out in Félicité's collection of objects and what relationships can you find between them?
5. Why does Félicité offer the parrot for the altar in the Corpus Christi celebration?
6. Describe the impression that the narrator gives you of Mme. Aubain's house.
7. What do you think Félicité means when she says of Victor's death that "'It doesn't matter a bit, not to them it doesn't'"?
8. What do we learn about Félicité through her relationship with Theodore?
9. What does the narrator say about Félicité's age and appearance and why might this be an important detail?
10. What do we learn about Félicité's eating habits and what do they tell us about her character?
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)