|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Félicité's family stay on their first visit?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 45 minutes.
(d) 2 hours.
2. What new activity do Félicité and Virginie begin at Christmas time?
(a) They join a choir.
(b) They begin to learn English.
(c) They begin piano lessons.
(d) They begin to go to catechism.
3. Where does Félicité first meet Theodore?
(a) In the park.
(b) At a dance.
(c) At work.
(d) In her sister's house.
4. Why does Felicite leave the farm she was working at while she dated Theodore?
(a) She is upset when Theodore leaves her.
(b) She wants to become a teacher.
(c) She loses her job.
(d) She decides to go home to her parents.
5. Why does the family move back home?
(a) Virginie's cough resumed.
(b) Mme. Aubain missed her house.
(c) Félicité had to return to tend to seasonal work.
(d) Paul needed to prepare to leave for school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the easy chairs in the living room upholstered?
2. Who looks after the management of Mme. Aubain's property?
3. The narrator describes Félicité as being made out of what material?
4. How many properties does Mme. Aubain still own?
5. How long have Félicité and Mme. Aubain been in this relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Félicité's reaction to Virginie's first communion is so much more powerful than her reaction to her own first communion?
2. Do you think it's significant that Félicité misses Virginie's death because she goes back to lock up in case of thieves?
3. Why do you think Félicité never talks about how worried she feels for Victor?
4. How is Félicité introduced to the reader in the first chapter?
5. How does Félicité understand the Holy Spirit?
6. How do Félicité and Mme. Aubain react to Virginie's death?
7. Félicité's service for Mme. Aubain is described with some detail. What kind of an impression does Félicité's service give of Mme. Aubain?
8. Think back on the story as a whole. What do you think is the major theme and why?
9. How does Flaubert choose to describe the procession of Corpus Christi and Félicité's death? What affect does this have?
10. How do Mme. Aubain and Félicité's reactions to Virginie's departure differ from each other?
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)