|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Félicité's first job when she starts working for Mme. Aubain?
(a) Dairy maid.
(d) Lady's maid.
2. How long have Félicité and Mme. Aubain been in this relationship?
(a) Since Félicité was born.
(b) It is entirely new.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Half a century.
3. Who offers advice about where Paul should go to school?
(a) Mme. Liebard.
(b) M. Bourais.
(c) Félicité's brother-in-law.
(d) The priest.
4. What is unusual about the children's beds?
(a) The mattresses are removed.
(b) They are huge.
(c) They are propped up against the wall.
(d) They don't have beds.
5. How is Mme. Aubain's bedroom described?
(a) Narrow but with high ceilings.
(b) Average size.
(c) Very small.
(d) Very large.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Félicité's relationship to Mme. Aubain?
2. What was the most exciting part of the day in Trouville?
3. Who reads to Félicité for the first time in her life?
4. When the family rests in the field, what does Paul do?
5. What does Félicité do when the family rests in the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flaubert choose to describe the procession of Corpus Christi and Félicité's death? What affect does this have?
2. How does Félicité feel about Loulou before she begins to go deaf? How do you know?
3. Do you think that Félicité's final vision is religious or delusional? Does it matter?
4. What is Félicité's final vision and what might it symbolize?
5. Why do you think that it struck Félicité as wrong that Mme. Aubain should die before she did?
6. What objects stand out in Félicité's collection of objects and what relationships can you find between them?
7. Why do you think Félicité's reaction to Virginie's first communion is so much more powerful than her reaction to her own first communion?
8. What are some examples of times when Félicité has been abused or disregarded? Describe them and explain how she is being treated poorly.
9. On the way to Trouville, Félicité overhears Liebard talking about the woman that Theodore left her to marry, but she does not hear the end of the story. What, if any, function does this have in the story?
10. Why do you think the narrator conceals the real cause of Loulou's death?
This section contains 1,575 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)