|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mme. de Larsonniere give Mme. Aubain a gift?
(a) It is Mme. Aubain's birthday.
(b) She hopes Mme. Aubain will befriend her.
(c) She is moving away and can't keep it.
(d) She is bribing Mme. Aubain.
2. What or who does Félicité begin to associate with the parrot?
(a) Her nephew, Victor.
(b) The illustrated geography book.
(d) The Holy Spirit.
3. What do Paul's parents tell him to do when he visits Félicité?
(a) Tell her that they send their regards.
(b) Take her arm when they walk to Vespers.
(c) Be kind.
(d) Bring home as many things as he can.
4. What distinctive trait does Félicité develop due to a fit of giddiness?
(a) She drags one leg.
(b) Her head shakes.
(c) She has a nervous twitch.
(d) She develops a hunchback.
5. Who leaves town after Virginie dies?
(b) The Polish refugees.
(c) M. Bourais.
(d) Mme. Aubain.
6. What is Félicité's response to Virginie receiving her first communion?
(a) She claps her hands.
(b) She nearly faints.
(c) She feels angry.
(d) She regrets never having received communion herself.
7. What event rouses Félicité's interest when she can no longer speak to people?
(a) Weekly mass.
(b) The procession of Corpus Christi.
8. What is the only thing that holds Mme. Aubain's interest after Virginie dies?
(a) Paul's letters.
(b) Playing music.
(c) Her walks with Félicité.
(d) Looking through Virginie's drawings.
9. What task does Félicité perform for Paul?
(a) She mends his clothes.
(b) She packs him a basket of food to take home.
(c) She writes at his dictation.
(d) She knits him socks.
10. What does Mme. Aubain do that offends Félicité?
(a) Fails to notice her increasing depression.
(b) Refuses to share the contents of her daughter's letter.
(c) Disregards her concern for her nephew.
(d) Gives her an old dress.
11. What stubborn trait does Loulou have that amazes Félicité?
(a) Loulou refuses to speak when anyone is looking at him.
(b) Loulou only eats out of Félicité's hand.
(c) Loulou will not rest when Félicité puts a sheet over his cage.
(d) Loulou refuses to perch on anyone's finger.
12. What is Félicité's gift for the Corpus Christi procession?
(a) A gold chain she recieved from Virginie.
(c) Her rosary.
(d) Her inheritance from Mme. Aubain.
13. How does Félicité meet her Polish suitor?
(a) When he comes to beg Mme. Aubain for alms.
(b) Her sister introduces them.
(c) He is a friend of Paul's.
(d) Nursing cholera victims and looking after refugees.
14. Why does Félicité run ten miles in her clogs?
(a) To say goodbye to Paul.
(b) To tend to her sister during childbirth.
(c) To see Virginie at school.
(d) To see Theodore.
15. What do Mme. Aubain and Félicité spread out on the bed when they are going through Virginie's things?
(a) Petticoats, stockings, and handkerchiefs.
(b) Virginie's paintings and needlework.
(c) Dresses, shirts, and coats.
(d) Toys and books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Félicité do after she receives her letter?
2. What causes Félicité to catch tonsillitis?
3. What does Mme. Aubain feel when she is finally able to visit Virginie's grave?
4. When Mme. Aubain and Félicité walk together, what do they talk about?
5. Why does Félicité think that her illness makes sense?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)