|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Laurie's decision regarding the Princess' ultimatum?
2. Why didn't the horse climb faster even after Arutha spurred it?
3. What did the witch require of the moredhel?
4. What was the name of the silent figure?
5. Why was it strange to Arutha that Anita should fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the old witch gasp at the sight of the central figure when he removed his cloak?
2. What did Jimmy learn following his first night out?
3. What struck Jimmy about the men at the next table in the Inn?
4. Why was Jimmy in trouble, and why was the Upright Man willing to spare him?
5. What made the Moredhel hard to kill?
6. Why hadn't Laurie revealed his decision to Carline sooner?
7. How had Arutha and Anita gotten to know each other?
8. What drew Arutha's attention from Anita?
9. What are the views Jimmy harbors regarding the nobility?
10. Why did the captain of the Royal Eagle wish that the tall spires of Rillanon were in sight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his torture and that of his friends, Pug attempts to remain in control of his emotions to find a solution to the problem he was facing. How is this a difficult task to endeavor? What kind of mind does it take to succeed at such a trial? What does this say for Pug's character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the writing style and storyline of Tolkien and Feist. How are they similar? How are they different? Are there too many similarities between the two characters? Explain your answer. Who do you think is a better storyteller and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Murad and the Dark Brothers. What do you suppose is the author's reason for not giving them substantial motivations, or at least, motivations that have been made evident to the reader? Can you think of any possible motivations that they might have? Why these ones?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)