|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The porter kindly gives Puddleglum a drink from a this while they wait for a servant to tell the King they have arrived.
2. There are two ________ in the trench.
3. The group is initially shown into the what?
4. The servant returns and says they are wanted in the what?
5. The place the children are going to is inhabited by __________, according to their new companion.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene, as Jill and Eustace are reunited at the harbor.
2. What problem does Puddleglum have that makes meeting the king and queen of the giants difficult and how did that problem occur?
3. After going through the garden door, Jill and Eustace are on a tall mountain standing near a cliff. Jill tries to show off by standing as close to the edge as she dare. Why do you think Jill tried to show off on the cliff?
4. Describe Puddleglum's reaction to meeting the lady and the knight and what it means to the children.
5. Describe how the mood of the novel changes, as chapter six goes on.
6. Why didn't Eustace recognize his friend, King Caspian?
7. What do the children see out Jill's window, when they're staying with the giants?
8. Jill refuses to explore very far in the trench, so Eustace jumps into the trench to find out for himself. How is that similar to or different from when the two were standing on the cliff at the start of the book?
9. Explain how and why the lights of the House of Harfang distract the children.
10. Do you agree that the owls should secretly help Jill and Eustace to rescue the prince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The only two characters present throughout the entire book are Eustace and Jill. Of the two characters, Eustace and Jill, which was your favorite at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the book and why? Did your choice change, as the book progressed? Why or why not? Also, in what ways do you think both characters improved over times and in what ways would you improve upon them, if you could?
Essay Topic 2
Using several examples from the book, explain how going to Narnia helped Jill. Also, explain how Jill's presence in Narnia changed the course of events. What might have happened if Eustace and Puddleglum had gone on their adventure without Jill?
Essay Topic 3
Make a detailed list of three situations where foreshadowing was used in the book. Also, explain the outcomes of each situation and how it might have been affected if the foreshadowing event hadn't taken place.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)