Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The lady says they should tell the gentle giants there that she has sent them for what Feast?
2. The irritability causes Jill to do what?
3. When they reach a giant's bridge across a deep precipice, Puddleglum is reluctant to use it because he is afraid it might be ________.
4. Jill and Eustace have landed in a field close to a harbor beside a large what?
5. Jill is upset because it is clearly whom that Eustace was supposed to talk to and now he has missed his opportunity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how faith plays a role in chapter 11.
2. How is the process of breaking the queen's enchantment attempt symbolic?
3. What do you think is the symbolism behind Puddleglum's name?
4. As the creatures take the travelers to the queen, they begin their march through a tiny crack that Jill is afraid to enter. How has Jill's attitude changed, since the start of the book?
5. Describe how the mood of the novel changes, as chapter six goes on.
6. In chapter 5, the children are taken on a long flight with the owls and are put inside a hut where they instantly fall to sleep. Do you think that it was right for the children to trust the owls and, if so, do you think the owls betrayed that trust by leaving the children alone in the strange hut?
7. How does the discussion with the knight cause the children to lose faith in Aslan a bit and do you agree with their loss of faith?
8. Why are Puddleglum and Eustace upset about eating venison, in chapter 9, and why is Jill not upset? Whose reaction do you agree with and why?
9. Why did the children feel they had to sneak away from the giants?
10. How did Rilian's indecision affect the outcome of chapter 14.
Essay Topic 1
Answer the following questions about Eustace using examples from the book to back up your answers:
1. What is Eustace's role in the story?
2. Do you think Eustace is a necessary character to the story? Why or why not?
3. How do you think the story would be changed if Eustace were not present? Discuss at least two parts of the book that would be altered by his absence
Essay Topic 2
Bullying is a key theme of the book.
Explain what makes the queen of the underworld a bully.
Explain what makes the giants at the house of Harfang bullies.
Explain how you would deal with a bully in your own life and whether or not your opinion on that was changed by reading the book. If so, in what ways? Use examples from the book to back up your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Aslan is a strange character in the book. He's only seen a few times, but his presence is always felt. Fundamentally, do you feel that Aslan is a good character, an evil character or a neither good nor evil character and why? Use at least three examples from the story to back up your answer.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)