|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Puddleglum is reluctant to take this advice and thinks there is something wrong with the knight since he did not do what?
2. Who vowed to kill the creature that bit the queen?
3. When they arrive on the opposite side of the bridge, they run into a beautiful lady and a ________.
4. What is the stranger's name?
5. Jill and Eustace have landed in a field close to a harbor beside a large what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jill refuses to explore very far in the trench, so Eustace jumps into the trench to find out for himself. How is that similar to or different from when the two were standing on the cliff at the start of the book?
2. What are Jill's four tasks that are set out by Aslan?
3. Jill is upset that she didn't notice the signs the day before. Do you think Jill is justified in being mad at herself for missing the signs?
4. When a talking owl greets them, Jill tells the owl why they are there, which is news to Eustace since she has not told him yet. Eustace asks where they are and the owl answers they are in Cair Paravel and that it was King Caspian who has just left. Why does that news upset Jill?
5. Why did the children feel they had to sneak away from the giants?
6. Describe the scene, as Jill and Eustace are reunited at the harbor.
7. At first Jill thinks that Eustace might be on the side of the bullies. Eustace tells Jill that he is different since a strange adventure he went on with his cousins. Do you think, in real life, that bullies can be changed by having a certain experience?
8. Describe the initial meeting between the children and the stranger at the hut.
9. What does the lion seem to represent to Jill, at the start of chapter two, and why?
10. Do you really think Jill was mad at Eustace for not recognizing Caspian and, if so, do you think Jill was right to be mad at Eustace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The only two characters present throughout the entire book are Eustace and Jill. Of the two characters, Eustace and Jill, which was your favorite at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the book and why? Did your choice change, as the book progressed? Why or why not? Also, in what ways do you think both characters improved over times and in what ways would you improve upon them, if you could?
Essay Topic 2
Make a detailed list of three situations where foreshadowing was used in the book. Also, explain the outcomes of each situation and how it might have been affected if the foreshadowing event hadn't taken place.
Essay Topic 3
Besides Jill's school, there are three main settings in the story, Narnia, the land of giants and the underworld (underland). Answer the following questions about each of the three settings:
1. What do you feel each setting represents?
2. In what ways do the settings reflect the people who live there and the events that take place there?
3. Is each setting good, evil or neutral? Does any setting change, in terms of goodness or evilness, as the story progresses? If so, in what ways?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)