|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Jill when she is crying?
2. The irritability causes Jill to do what?
3. The stranger tells the children he is a Marsh _________.
4. Where is Jill crying at the beginning of the book?
5. The group is initially shown into the what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jill is upset that she didn't notice the signs the day before. Do you think Jill is justified in being mad at herself for missing the signs?
2. Why do the owls have to secretly meet to try to save the prince?
3. What does the lion seem to represent to Jill, at the start of chapter two, and why?
4. When a talking owl greets them, Jill tells the owl why they are there, which is news to Eustace since she has not told him yet. Eustace asks where they are and the owl answers they are in Cair Paravel and that it was King Caspian who has just left. Why does that news upset Jill?
5. What are Jill's four tasks that are set out by Aslan?
6. Do you really think Jill was mad at Eustace for not recognizing Caspian and, if so, do you think Jill was right to be mad at Eustace?
7. What do you think is the symbolism behind Puddleglum's name?
8. Explain how and why the lights of the House of Harfang distract the children.
9. Why didn't Eustace recognize his friend, King Caspian?
10. How did Jill's attitude on the cliff backfire on her? What is that incident meant to show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aslan, the king of the giants, King Caspian and the queen of the underworld are all leaders of a sort.
Explain how each of the above characters governs their lands and what the results are.
Compare and contrast each of the above characters. Which are similar to each other and which are different? In what ways?
Use examples from the book to explain which of the above characters is your favorite and why.
Essay Topic 2
The only two characters present throughout the entire book are Eustace and Jill. Of the two characters, Eustace and Jill, which was your favorite at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the book and why? Did your choice change, as the book progressed? Why or why not? Also, in what ways do you think both characters improved over times and in what ways would you improve upon them, if you could?
Essay Topic 3
Bullying is a key theme of the book.
Explain what makes the queen of the underworld a bully.
Explain what makes the giants at the house of Harfang bullies.
Explain how you would deal with a bully in your own life and whether or not your opinion on that was changed by reading the book. If so, in what ways? Use examples from the book to back up your answers.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)