|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stranger's name?
2. The place the children are going to is inhabited by __________, according to their new companion.
3. The lady directs them to the House of ________, where they can get a warm meal and a warm bed.
4. The children are directed to go North towards _________.
5. The children decide that they must pretend to be _______ about the feast.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the giants' attitudes towards the children, in chapter 8, and what it could mean.
2. When a talking owl greets them, Jill tells the owl why they are there, which is news to Eustace since she has not told him yet. Eustace asks where they are and the owl answers they are in Cair Paravel and that it was King Caspian who has just left. Why does that news upset Jill?
3. Describe how the mood of the novel changes, as chapter six goes on.
4. As the travelers are traveling along, at one point, Jill wanders up ahead and falls into a trench. What information does Jill's fall convey about Jill's personal journey in the book so far?
5. What happened to the queen and what affect did it have on the prince, according to the owls?
6. Why did the children feel they had to sneak away from the giants?
7. At first Jill thinks that Eustace might be on the side of the bullies. Eustace tells Jill that he is different since a strange adventure he went on with his cousins. Do you think, in real life, that bullies can be changed by having a certain experience?
8. Jill refuses to explore very far in the trench, so Eustace jumps into the trench to find out for himself. How is that similar to or different from when the two were standing on the cliff at the start of the book?
9. Why didn't Eustace recognize his friend, King Caspian?
10. How did Jill's attitude on the cliff backfire on her? What is that incident meant to show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a detailed list of three situations where foreshadowing was used in the book. Also, explain the outcomes of each situation and how it might have been affected if the foreshadowing event hadn't taken place.
Essay Topic 2
Aslan, the king of the giants, King Caspian and the queen of the underworld are all leaders of a sort.
Explain how each of the above characters governs their lands and what the results are.
Compare and contrast each of the above characters. Which are similar to each other and which are different? In what ways?
Use examples from the book to explain which of the above characters is your favorite and why.
Essay Topic 3
The only two characters present throughout the entire book are Eustace and Jill. Of the two characters, Eustace and Jill, which was your favorite at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the book and why? Did your choice change, as the book progressed? Why or why not? Also, in what ways do you think both characters improved over times and in what ways would you improve upon them, if you could?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)