|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The servant returns and says they are wanted in the what?
2. The travelers walk for several weeks, killing ______ for food and sleeping on the ground.
3. The place the children are going to is inhabited by __________, according to their new companion.
4. The children want to go to Harfang, but they change their direction when they see what in the distance?
5. When they reach an area that is more flat, Jill wanders up ahead and falls into what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how and why the lights of the House of Harfang distract the children.
2. Do you really think Jill was mad at Eustace for not recognizing Caspian and, if so, do you think Jill was right to be mad at Eustace?
3. How did Jill's attitude on the cliff backfire on her? What is that incident meant to show?
4. After going through the garden door, Jill and Eustace are on a tall mountain standing near a cliff. Jill tries to show off by standing as close to the edge as she dare. Why do you think Jill tried to show off on the cliff?
5. What do you think is the symbolism behind Puddleglum's name?
6. Describe Puddleglum's reaction to meeting the lady and the knight and what it means to the children.
7. Why did the children feel they had to sneak away from the giants?
8. What happened to the queen and what affect did it have on the prince, according to the owls?
9. Describe the scene, as Jill and Eustace are reunited at the harbor.
10. Why didn't Eustace recognize his friend, King Caspian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose the character from the following list that you feel is least necessary and explain why. Also, explain how the book would be different if that character was not present. Use at least two examples from the book to back yourself up.
Essay Topic 2
Using at least three examples from the book, explain how the author, C.S. Lewis, tries using changes in setting to change the entire mood of the book. Also, explain whether or not you feel that those changes in mood were accomplished successfully. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bullying is a key theme of the book.
Explain what makes the queen of the underworld a bully.
Explain what makes the giants at the house of Harfang bullies.
Explain how you would deal with a bully in your own life and whether or not your opinion on that was changed by reading the book. If so, in what ways? Use examples from the book to back up your answers.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)