|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jill and Eustace must find the ruined city of ancient what?
2. The children want to go to Harfang, but they change their direction when they see what in the distance?
3. When they reach an area that is more flat, Jill wanders up ahead and falls into what?
4. Who speaks to the king and queen at Eustace's suggestion?
5. Jill is very upset about this, especially when Eustace points out they must have been walking in the ________ when Jill fell in the trench.
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 5, the children are taken on a long flight with the owls and are put inside a hut where they instantly fall to sleep. Do you think that it was right for the children to trust the owls and, if so, do you think the owls betrayed that trust by leaving the children alone in the strange hut?
2. What are Jill's four tasks that are set out by Aslan?
3. Describe how the mood of the novel changes, as chapter six goes on.
4. Why did the children feel they had to sneak away from the giants?
5. Jill refuses to explore very far in the trench, so Eustace jumps into the trench to find out for himself. How is that similar to or different from when the two were standing on the cliff at the start of the book?
6. What do you think is the symbolism behind Puddleglum's name?
7. How does Jill learn the lion's identity?
8. Explain how and why the lights of the House of Harfang distract the children.
9. How did Jill's attitude on the cliff backfire on her? What is that incident meant to show?
10. Describe Puddleglum's reaction to meeting the lady and the knight and what it means to the children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aslan is a strange character in the book. He's only seen a few times, but his presence is always felt. Fundamentally, do you feel that Aslan is a good character, an evil character or a neither good nor evil character and why? Use at least three examples from the story to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using several examples from the book, explain how going to Narnia helped Jill. Also, explain how Jill's presence in Narnia changed the course of events. What might have happened if Eustace and Puddleglum had gone on their adventure without Jill?
Essay Topic 3
Answer the following questions about the character of Aslan:
What does Aslan represent in the story?
What are Aslan's motivations in the story?
What major things in the story would be different, if Aslan were not present?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)