|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The servant returns and says they are wanted in the what?
2. Jill is upset because it is clearly whom that Eustace was supposed to talk to and now he has missed his opportunity?
3. The lion says that who is missing?
4. The children fall asleep and wake up in the morning to go looking for who?
5. In the harbor is a ship surrounded by many people and creatures with what standing before them all?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Eustace is afraid that the owls are against Caspian?
2. When the travelers reach a bridge made by giants that runs across a deep precipice, Puddleglum is reluctant to use it because he is afraid it might be an enchanted bridge and it might disappear while they are only half across. Based on what is already known about the giants at that point, do you think Puddleglum's fear was valid?
3. In chapter 5, the children are taken on a long flight with the owls and are put inside a hut where they instantly fall to sleep. Do you think that it was right for the children to trust the owls and, if so, do you think the owls betrayed that trust by leaving the children alone in the strange hut?
4. How did Jill's attitude on the cliff backfire on her? What is that incident meant to show?
5. When a talking owl greets them, Jill tells the owl why they are there, which is news to Eustace since she has not told him yet. Eustace asks where they are and the owl answers they are in Cair Paravel and that it was King Caspian who has just left. Why does that news upset Jill?
6. How is Puddleglum's participation in the mission to rescue the prince ironic?
7. Why didn't Eustace recognize his friend, King Caspian?
8. Do you agree that the owls should secretly help Jill and Eustace to rescue the prince?
9. At first Jill thinks that Eustace might be on the side of the bullies. Eustace tells Jill that he is different since a strange adventure he went on with his cousins. Do you think, in real life, that bullies can be changed by having a certain experience?
10. What do you think is the symbolism behind Puddleglum's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Rilian is kidnapped and put under a spell when he goes to seek vengeance against the serpent.
Explain what you think vengeance is. Also, do you think seeking vengeance is ever worth it? Why or why not?
Why does Rilian feel that it's necessary to seek vengeance and what lesson does C.S. Lewis try to teach about vengeance by having Rilian imprisoned by the evil queen?
Do you feel that it was right for Rilian and his friends to kill the queen? Why or why not? Also, what might a good alternative to killing the queen have been?
Essay Topic 2
Aslan, the king of the giants, King Caspian and the queen of the underworld are all leaders of a sort.
Explain how each of the above characters governs their lands and what the results are.
Compare and contrast each of the above characters. Which are similar to each other and which are different? In what ways?
Use examples from the book to explain which of the above characters is your favorite and why.
Essay Topic 3
The only two characters present throughout the entire book are Eustace and Jill. Of the two characters, Eustace and Jill, which was your favorite at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the book and why? Did your choice change, as the book progressed? Why or why not? Also, in what ways do you think both characters improved over times and in what ways would you improve upon them, if you could?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)