|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hara Kei say to Joncour about the fate of the boy who led Joncour to Hara Kei's procession?
2. Why does Joncour travel north on his way home from the fourth trip to Japan?
3. After his last trip to Japan, what is Joncour doing when Helene comes to kiss him goodnight?
4. When Joncour arrives at the empty house of Hara Kei the morning after the party, what does he find in the aviary?
5. When does Joncour go to his park and sit by the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the fourth trip to Japan, when Joncour offers gold to Hara Kei, what is he buying?
2. What does Joncour know about the Englishman they meet at the Riviera at the baron's birthday party? What is he wearing? Why is he upset when he looks at his wife and the Englishman?
3. For the fourth trip to Japan, Baldabiou is unsure whether or not to send Joncour. What are his misgivings? When discussing it with Joncour, who is he trying to convince?
4. When Joncour finally tells Baldabiou about the girl in Japan he says, "To die of nostalgia for something you will never live," what does he mean?
5. Why does Joncour fire his gun on the way out of town and startle the birds? What is he saying, and to whom? Who will get his message?
6. Why does Joncour take Baldabiou to the house of Jean Berbeck that he buys? What is he looking for? Why does he think that Baldabiou will understand?
7. What happens the morning after Hara Kei's party? Why do you think Hara Kei left? How does Joncour find the aviary? What is this saying to Joncour?
8. What does Joncour mean when he says to the Englishman, "We are all marvelous, and we are all revolting"?
9. How did the changes in the world described in Chapter 54 change Joncour's world? How did these changes affect the silk trade? Explain.
10. The envelope that Joncour receives is mailed from Ostend, which is in Belgium. Who do you think sent the letters knowing this information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the author's description of the trip from France to Japan, he describes it exactly the same except for the description of Lake Baikal. Each time Joncour travels past the lake, the locals are calling the lake by a different name. Why is this significant? What does this symbolize? Why would this be the only point where the author deviates from his description?
Essay Topic 2
Joncour, at the end of his life, is left with symbols of the past. What are the symbols in the novel, and how many does Joncour hold on to as he grows old? Was Joncour ever able to identify the symbols when he needed to? Is he later able to look back and see his errors in translating the symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the significance of silk and when and where it is used in the story to identify or describe a character. Think about the colorful litter, the silk tunic given to Helene by her husband and the silk kimono worn by Madame Blanche.
This section contains 1,671 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)