|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the sink at the house that Joncour buys?
2. What does Hara Kei say to Joncour about the fate of the boy who led Joncour to Hara Kei's procession?
3. Who makes the decision to go back to Japan for the fourth trip?
4. What does Madame Blanche say about Japan?
5. What are the rumors about Joncour when he returns from Japan the fourth time?
Short Essay Questions
1. On his fourth trip to Japan, what does Joncour find when he arrives at Hara Kei's village? How does he see the village? What is the state of the village a symbol of?
2. Why does Joncour sit by the lake on windy days after the death of his wife? Has the meaning of the ripples on the water changed for him?
3. Why does Helene pretend not to notice the letters when they are clearly in plain sight?
4. Why does Joncour take Baldabiou to the house of Jean Berbeck that he buys? What is he looking for? Why does he think that Baldabiou will understand?
5. How did the changes in the world described in Chapter 54 change Joncour's world? How did these changes affect the silk trade? Explain.
6. What happens the morning after Hara Kei's party? Why do you think Hara Kei left? How does Joncour find the aviary? What is this saying to Joncour?
7. On the fourth trip to Japan, describe the young boy that Joncour follows? What is he playing? Why would he play music as they wander through the villages?
8. On the fourth trip to Japan, when Joncour offers gold to Hara Kei, what is he buying?
9. Why do you think Madame Blanche wants to forget about her native language? Why does she make Joncour promise to never return to her for a translation?
10. When Joncour finally tells Baldabiou about the girl in Japan he says, "To die of nostalgia for something you will never live," what does he mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Baldabiou play billiards against? Why is his loss before he leaves town important? How is his job as mentor over?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Joncour build a park? What is the significance of a windy day and the lake? Why is Joncour drawn to his lake on windy days? What is he thinking about when he sits by the lake after he first finishes the park and then later in the novel? Does the meaning, for him, change? How?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of St. Agnes to Baldabiou? Why do Joncour and his wife name their youngest daughter Agnes? Why is Baldabiou fascinated with dolphins? Why would he want to put dolphins in the cloister instead of animals with Christian references?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)