|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joncour arrives at the empty house of Hara Kei the morning after the party, what does he find in the aviary?
2. What does the Frenchman, Chardonnet, do?
3. What does Joncour pack the eggs in for his fourth trip home?
4. How many girls do Helene and Joncour have?
5. How many days does Joncour wait for Hara Kei's emissary on the fourth trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joncour take Baldabiou to the house of Jean Berbeck that he buys? What is he looking for? Why does he think that Baldabiou will understand?
2. What does Joncour hear as Hara Kei hold the gun to his head? Describe the sounds of what is happening around him.
3. Why does Helene pretend not to notice the letters when they are clearly in plain sight?
4. For the fourth trip to Japan, who makes the decision to go? Why is this startling? Why does Baldabiou lie to everyone except Helene about the trip?
5. When the young boy is hanged, why does Hara Kei say the boy was the message of love? What does he mean by that? Does this have anything to do with the boy's happy disposition? What?
6. What happens the morning after Hara Kei's party? Why do you think Hara Kei left? How does Joncour find the aviary? What is this saying to Joncour?
7. On his final trip to Madame Blanche's, what does she tell Joncour about his wife that he did not know?
8. Helene runs after Baldabiou at the train station and they embrace and she cries. What does this tell the reader about their relationship? Do you think something happened?
9. When Joncour arrives home nine days late, what does he ask of his wife? Why does he ask her this?
10. Why does Joncour sit by the lake on windy days after the death of his wife? Has the meaning of the ripples on the water changed for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Japan is described twice in the novel as "the end of the world." Who describes it that way, and when? Are the two incidents connected in any way?
Essay Topic 2
In the author's description of the trip from France to Japan, he describes it exactly the same except for the description of Lake Baikal. Each time Joncour travels past the lake, the locals are calling the lake by a different name. Why is this significant? What does this symbolize? Why would this be the only point where the author deviates from his description?
Essay Topic 3
What do the two English characters, the one in France at the party, and the one in the Japanese village, have in common? How are they different? Why do you think the author introduced these two characters, one in each country, to play off the main characters? What do they bring to the story? How would the story have been different without them?
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)