|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house does Joncour buy?
2. What advice does Madame Blanche give to Joncour about the letters?
3. When Baldabiou leaves, what does he give to Joncour?
4. Where is the envelope from?
5. On the fourth trip to Japan, how does Joncour finally get silk eggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. The envelope that Joncour receives is mailed from Ostend, which is in Belgium. Who do you think sent the letters knowing this information?
2. When the young boy is hanged, why does Hara Kei say the boy was the message of love? What does he mean by that? Does this have anything to do with the boy's happy disposition? What?
3. Why does Joncour take Baldabiou to the house of Jean Berbeck that he buys? What is he looking for? Why does he think that Baldabiou will understand?
4. When Joncour finally tells Baldabiou about the girl in Japan he says, "To die of nostalgia for something you will never live," what does he mean?
5. When Joncour's wife asks about the aviary, what does he say to her? What do you think she is thinking about her husband's actions? Do you think she is aware that something is going on?
6. On the fourth trip to Japan, when Joncour offers gold to Hara Kei, what is he buying?
7. The letter describes a sexual encounter but eludes to fact that it has already happened? What does this mean?
8. How did the changes in the world described in Chapter 54 change Joncour's world? How did these changes affect the silk trade? Explain.
9. Why do you think Madame Blanche wants to forget about her native language? Why does she make Joncour promise to never return to her for a translation?
10. What does Joncour know about the Englishman they meet at the Riviera at the baron's birthday party? What is he wearing? Why is he upset when he looks at his wife and the Englishman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Helene runs after Baldabiou at the train station? What do you think their relationship was? Why do you think that? What else happens that indicates that they have a close relationship? Do you think Helene experienced the same thing as her husband in the months he was away from her? Why do you think that?
Essay Topic 2
What do the two English characters, the one in France at the party, and the one in the Japanese village, have in common? How are they different? Why do you think the author introduced these two characters, one in each country, to play off the main characters? What do they bring to the story? How would the story have been different without them?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hara Kei forgive Joncour his rude behavior? He does it several times in the novel. Does he react the same way each time, or differently? Why does he endure Joncour's lack of knowledge about Japan?
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)