|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joncour offer Hara Kei when he catches up to him on the fourth trip?
2. Who is the youngest daughter named after?
3. What does Joncour pack the eggs in for his fourth trip home?
4. Whose house does Joncour buy?
5. When Joncour asks about Hara Kei the morning after the party, what is he told?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Joncour arrives home nine days late, what does he ask of his wife? Why does he ask her this?
2. For the fourth trip to Japan, Baldabiou is unsure whether or not to send Joncour. What are his misgivings? When discussing it with Joncour, who is he trying to convince?
3. When Joncour's wife asks about the aviary, what does he say to her? What do you think she is thinking about her husband's actions? Do you think she is aware that something is going on?
4. On his final trip to Madame Blanche's, what does she tell Joncour about his wife that he did not know?
5. The envelope that Joncour receives is mailed from Ostend, which is in Belgium. Who do you think sent the letters knowing this information?
6. On the fourth trip to Japan, describe the young boy that Joncour follows? What is he playing? Why would he play music as they wander through the villages?
7. When Joncour finally tells Baldabiou about the girl in Japan he says, "To die of nostalgia for something you will never live," what does he mean?
8. Why does the author describe the train trip so vividly returning from Japan on the fourth trip? What is the significance of the heat that Joncour sees on the fields and with the other passengers? What is he watching happening?
9. What does Joncour hear as Hara Kei hold the gun to his head? Describe the sounds of what is happening around him.
10. What happens the morning after Hara Kei's party? Why do you think Hara Kei left? How does Joncour find the aviary? What is this saying to Joncour?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Baldabiou is very curious, as he lives on the edge of normal life all the time. Describe some of the oddities of Baldabiou and attempt to round out his character by describing where you think he came from and, mostly, where you think he is going at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Joncour, at the end of his life, is left with symbols of the past. What are the symbols in the novel, and how many does Joncour hold on to as he grows old? Was Joncour ever able to identify the symbols when he needed to? Is he later able to look back and see his errors in translating the symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Which of the characters have attributes? What is something that would connect to each character? For example, ash for Hara Kei. Try to come up with an attribute for each character in the novel. Explain you answer.
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)